• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wipeout HD getting in-game ads!

Dementia

Maloney said:
If you can skip the add then I guess it's ok. However, this youtube video shows a loading time comparison and says that you can't skip the add.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX4f9zts6JM

I dont know whether I can skip the ad or not but if Ican't I will be majorly grumpy.
That looks like a comparison of the restart loading time and new track load times. Loading up a new track has never been that fast.

Haunted

Leondexter said:
My friend made that youtube video. Let me clarify (as I believe he does in his comment as well). That video is him re-loading the same track again, which is much faster than loading a new track--or at least, it is unless the ad decides to play.

He contends that a normal track loading is also a little longer if the ad plays.
hm.

edit: also, what the shit is going on with your tag? :lol

Shurs said:
This sucks. I didn't mind the billboard ads in Burnout Paradise because they seem like they could be part of the game world. Loading screen ads, on the other hand, are out of place and, judging by that video, delay the start of the game. Bad deal.

There is no delay. That video is fake (rephrased: that video is not a meny bootup as stated by his "friend"). Please read the entire thread (or atleast a bit of it).

That said, as you and others stated, I don't mind ads that are part of the game. I hate ads that feel out of place. State Farm =! Wipeout, unless they expect us to get insurance to prevent crashes in the year 3000...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dementia said:
That looks like a comparison of the restart loading time and new track load times. Loading up a new track has never been that fast.

Yeah, apparently ads affect the restart loading time.

LiK

106kg7d.png

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Leondexter said:
My friend made that youtube video. Let me clarify (as I believe he does in his comment as well). That video is him re-loading the same track again, which is much faster than loading a new track--or at least, it is unless the ad decides to play.

He contends that a normal track loading is also a little longer if the ad plays.
Ah, well that does make sense then.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If it affects track reload time, if that's what the comparison was, then apologies to the vid creator...and that's crappy!

I'd prefer them to charge more for the game than to add ads that bring that behaviour with them (i.e. artificially extended reloads).

Hopefully this stays out of PAL land.

-viper- said:
I paid for Fury and I get this shit in my game? What the fuck is Studio Liverpool playing at?

I bought Wipeout HD but I haven't bought Fury yet since I haven't finished HD to start playing the expansion.

I don't know whether I should be glad for not buying Fury or sad that lack of support led to this... ad... thingy.

But then again, it's been just a few weeks. I'm sure they had it planned all along. Guess I'll wait for Fury to pricedrop like crazy before I buy it.

Thanks Liverpool for making my decision easier!

Haunted said:
hm.

edit: also, what the shit is going on with your tag? :lol

If you mean that my tag doesn't link to an actual post, I've never known why. Damn those corporate idiots, though! Damn them to hell!

There haven't been any ads for me yet playing up here in Canada. Most likely that this is a U.S. only experiment for now, and one that I hope Sony get's some backlash for. As much as I like Wipeout, the last thing I need is annoying ads in my games.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gofreak said:
If it affects track reload time, if that's what the comparison was, then apologies to the vid creator...and that's crappy!

I'd prefer them to charge more for the game than to add ads that bring that behaviour with them (i.e. artificially extended reloads).

It seems decieving though, as he didn't just restart it after losing a race...he played a race, exited out, then rechose ships and entered into the same track. But it looks like he's starting a whole new track.

Lucario

Wow.

They put immersion-ruining ads in a game that people already bought and paid for?
There's no way this is legal.

Mardil

I would be ok with this if the price was reduced, but people who payed the 20 bucks day one and now are forced to watch ads... that sucks.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:

Yeah, they should patch it so that ads don't show up during the restarting loading screen.

lawl, people actually support this? This is annoying, timed, interstitial advertising in a product you paid for - not some free streaming TV show online. Well, enjoy your AIDS, er, ads.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Mardil said:
I would be ok with this if the price was reduced, but people who payed the 20 bucks day one and now are forced to watch ads... that sucks.

Twenty bucks plus, if you picked it up, the ten dollar expansion.

Regardless, I agree. The game is beautiful and clearly cost more to develop than a lot of downloadable fare. And if in-game ads are part of your financing plan, great. But that's not what happened here - people have shelled out $20-$30 on a game only to have ads pop up out of nowhere.

Whether they impact load times or not, there's something that screams "cash grab" when something that was selling for a premium price that also had an expansion that was priced similarly suddenly gets ads out of the blue.

And it doesn't help that it's just the one ad. Over. And Over. And Over. If I have to see Ben Franklin flying around again I'm going to go nuts.

Slavik81 said:
...So as long as I don't buy Fury, I don't get ads?
Well that makes my decision easy.

No, I have the ads and I have yet to purchase the expansion. It's in an update.

TTP said:
Yeah, they should patch it so that ads don't show up during the restarting loading screen.

That's really all they need to do. Alternately, just put up a "press X to continue" prompt when the track is loaded and allow us to skip the rest of the ad.

Not a big deal. In-game advertising is fine (for some games), but there are acceptable ways to do it, and this isn't one of them.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jiji said:
lawl, people actually support this?

They do? I've seen just a couple of mildly supportive posts here about this, and a handful more that could possibly be considered 'neutral'. Amidst an avalanche of negative opinion on it. And that's when people thought the youtube comparison was fake...

I think 'people' don't support this.

Zeliard

Slavik81 said:
...So as long as I don't buy Fury, I don't get ads?
Well that makes my decision easy.

I don't think it's exclusive to Fury, but most will probably see them in that fashion since Fury is getting people back into Wipeout HD.

Probably the single saddest part about this is that Fury represents one of the best value deals in a gen that's been rife with DLC nickel-and-dime whoring.

Haunted

Zeliard said:
I don't think it's exclusive to Fury, but most will probably see them in that fashion since Fury is getting people back into Wipeout HD.

Probably the single saddest part about this is that Fury represents one of the best value deals in a gen that's been rife with DLC nickel-and-dime whoring.
Yes, this is partially why I can't bring myself to go all out with the hate. Both Wipeout HD and Fury are great value for money.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Zeliard said:

That is true, but personally I'd prefer to pay more upfront than to have the ads.

I'd have paid $5 more or perhaps more still if it kept these ads out. $9.99 was less than expected.

But maybe this was part of the package that would 'let' Sony sell it at this price. I suppose if things seem too good to be true...

Like watching the ad takes up so much of your precious time? It's during the loading screen. It's the principle, you say? Well, how about, Studio Liverpool released the best futuristic racing game of this generation for $20, then released an add-on that doubled the content for $10. Stop being stupid. This shit isn't free.

Biff

The company added that the video ads would be "the highest definition" available in-game, and the game will also have supplemental ads that are standard definition.

Oh god. When they use terms like 'highest definition' that's never good.

But, I guess it's good that they're going with a cropped box to display the ad. Load time would probably be even worse if it was a 1080 or 720p ad being played...

LiK

neverknowsbest said:
Like watching the ad takes up so much of your precious time? It's during the loading screen. It's the principle, you say? Well, how about, Studio Liverpool released the best futuristic racing game of this generation for $20, then released an add-on that doubled the content for $10. Stop being stupid. This shit isn't free.

what?

Vard

I can't say I support this, but at least it's a smaller developer like Studio Liverpool doing this. SCE owns them now but still. If it helps them make some more cash to justify making great games that don't necessarily sell as well they probably should, I'm fine with it. Still sucks though.

Rapping Granny said:
Just like Xbox Live.

Pretty much.

neverknowsbest said:

Living up to your username, eh? You'll make your father proud.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Rapping Granny said:
Just like Xbox Live.
Last time I checked, XBox Live didn't prevent me from playing a game that's already loaded into memory, just so I could check those ads before actually playing.

This is not Microsoft vs Sony thread, don't turn it into one.

It's about In-Game advertisements done wrong. And this is clearly such an example.

woodypop

neverknowsbest said:
Oh, well in that case, let me just give them my credit card number so that they can simply charge me more whenever they're feeling unfairly compensated.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
chubigans said:
That video seems sketchy, as the load bar didn't fully fill up on the non-ad one and I don't remember that happening in the load times. Could be wrong.

It's not sketchy at all. The loading in HD with the new patch has been reduced... well... reduced if you don't get the in-game ads loading screen. In which case your load slows for about 10 seconds extra so you can see the stupid ad for the umpteenth time while loading your track.

neverknowsbest said:

Hey, if you don't mind giving up a few seconds of your not-so-precious time, then how about hearing a couple of radio ads before your car will start? How about some ads in between songs on your MP3 player? It's a small price to pay for the privelege of driving or having portable music.

anddo0

People bitch about anything. In-game ads (which this is not) can be annoying and cheap. However.. this happens during the loading screen, doesn't affect the load times. So what's the big deal?

Eric_S

Tyree said:
Fucking ads. This is why I don't watch TV!

(Well that and poor content)

---

Now look, if you want to put ads in your game and try to sell it to me, then fine, I just won't buy it if it's done in poor taste (and I'm very anal about in game ads).

Have optional extras with commersials in it? Fine by me, see above but swich out buy with download.

Cramming ads up my ass after the fact? Why no, no I do not approve at all. And by that I mean I won't buy another one of your games untill I'm sure that you won't do something equally dumb and potentially immersion killing again.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
anddo0 said:
doesn't affect the load times. So what's the big deal?

Uh, yes. Yes it does? Did you not see the youtubes/experince it yourself? The game stops loading the track TO FINISH WATCHING THE AD. Therefore: IT DOES AFFECT THE LOADING TIME.

drizzle said:
Last time I checked, XBox Live didn't prevent me from playing a game that's already loaded into memory, just so I could check those ads before actually playing.

This is not Microsoft vs Sony thread, don't turn it into one.

It's about In-Game advertisements done wrong. And this is clearly such an example.

How is it preventing you from playing the game, it's an ad during the loading screen.

And do you even have the fucking game?

Anyone defending this is part of the problem. If you think that it's going to end here, you're mistaken. The more that we as a collective put up with it, the more developers and publishers are going to push it on us. Studio Liverpool already got money from me for the base game, as well as Fury, there should be no reason they need to make more money off of me.

Top Bottom