• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wipeout Omega Collection for PS4

Carn82

Is Wipeout 2048 any good? I slept on it when it came out and forgot about it when I finally got a Vita. I'm sure I have it on PS+ too.

Some awesome tracks, but the Vita is a bit of an ill fit for 2048. It has framerate issues, and 2048s style (a bit more realistic and more complex looking tracks) made it a bit too chaotic on screen from time to time. Hd/pure work better on the Vita imho. But I'm really looking forward to playing those tracks on a big screen with a solid framerate :)

Metzhara

Too many people talking in this thread like the game is already out that my mechanical keyboard started to sound like a double pegged legged pirate playing DDR on Extreme as I raced to the Playstation store to purchase.

I'm so stoked... I can't wait for this!

I still have the Next Gen magazine Disc (I believe it's issue 07 or 8 with Bomberman on the disc sleeve) that had the Fluke music video for Atom Bomb featuring Wipeout 2097.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMzCpy0fXc

Hd/pure work better on the Vita imho. But I'm really looking forward to playing those tracks on a big screen with a solid framerate :)

I'm downloading 2048 with the HD/Fury pack add on, is the later available to play from the get go?

Are there any players/groups still online for HD/Fury PS3 these days? Need a Wipeout discord or something.

I'm downloading 2048 with the HD/Fury pack add on, is the later available to play from the get go?

Are there any players/groups still online for HD/Fury PS3 these days? Need a Wipeout discord or something.

Yep, HD and Fury are their own campaigns and are immediately accessible from the main menu

Shit music but looking really good apart from that

Tom-Hanks-orly.gif

Not at all. Totally agree. The handling in 2097/3 perfected the wipEout formula imo. There was something unique about the handling thath felt like you had total control and it was really responsive. The way the ships would slide into sharp corners with your airbrakes and make that subtle scraping noise as you just manged to avoid crashing. Something about how the camera moved to, felt perfectly.

The track design in the newer games are way too futuristic for my liking, I liked the more down to earth tarmac covered and dark 90's designed tracks of the first trilogy. I still play those games and I think they are unrivalled in the series.

Yeah agreed! Nice to know I'm not the only one :)

Gameplay in Pure, Pulse (so HD+Fury) and 2048 -games covered by this compilation- feels way better than 2097/3. 2048 had some issues but related to framerate, something will be fixed in Omega.

They didn't aged as well as you may think. Mind often tricks you regarding memories, making you think things from the past are better than they really were.

I know that can be the case but I'm not so sure it applies here. ResidentDante knows where I'm coming from.

combine42

Neo Member
How will multiplayer work?

Will it be split into 3 different different menus each with their own hoppers for each game?

Is Wipeout 2048 any good? I slept on it when it came out and forgot about it when I finally got a Vita. I'm sure I have it on PS+ too.

I tried emulating Pure and Pulse on my laptop and they ran ok but with some pretty bad framerate drops in places. Uh, maybe I should just fire up the PS3 version to quench my thirst for AG racing.

2048 has bad enough framerate and loading times that I'd skip if I were you. At least don't pay for it. Especially with this PS4 version coming out, it kinda makes 2048 irrelevant.

Some awesome tracks, but the Vita is a bit of an ill fit for 2048. It has framerate issues, and 2048s style (a bit more realistic and more complex looking tracks) made it a bit too chaotic on screen from time to time. Hd/pure work better on the Vita imho. But I'm really looking forward to playing those tracks on a big screen with a solid framerate :)

Pretty much this : the only problem that I had with 2048 (some pretty long loading for the course, a graphics style absolutly gorgeous but sometimes a bit too busy for the little Vita screen,fps not always good) should be easily resolved migrating on the Ps4, so I'm really glad of its inclusion in this port/compilation !

The more I think about it, I really want to fire up HD/Fury on PS3 just to see who's online, if anyone. If I can spare the time I'm going to dip in at the weekend. I've aged, so I expect to crash and burn.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
How will multiplayer work?

Will it be split into 3 different different menus each with their own hoppers for each game?
I just hope they don't alter the online set up that HD had. Seeing a list of games play out their races at real time was really neat.

The main thing I took from playing Thumper PSVR is how I wished it was Wipeout Zone mode instead.

I can't help but agree with them - there is so much constant violent motion involved with Wipeout, I honestly imagine Sony (who has mandatorily puts seizure warnings in most games) wouldn't be in favor of it.

Thumper's a straight track with either very brief or very smooth turns, it's a totally different sense of motion.

Eccocid

What's the best game on this collection?

Haven't played 2048 but HD and Fury are both great. They both have tracks from earlier wipeout games and new ones too.

I am a wipeout fan tho i skipped 2048, those realistic visual style and didnt pull me in :/

Seventy70

Wish they would've up-rezed the first 3 games as well. They are an important part of gaming history. I suppose there may have been an issue with licensing fees for the music though.

Redout has a VR mode and nobody died yet. This is just PR speech for "no budget for extra features".

No budget, no resources, no incentive and possibly can't achieve it without degrading the image quality or frame rate. Having played pure, pulse and HD/Fury excessively, it's all going to be too familiar to me. God I'm getting negative in my later years.

Eccocid

Wish they would've up-rezed the first 3 games as well. They are an important part of gaming history. I suppose there may have been an issue with licensing fees for the music though.

2 is okay 3 is a masterpiece but ehh uprezing first game is a waste of time. It is very dated it needs more than res boost to become playable.

Also one thing we all forget is Fusion. lol how awesome everyone ignores that game hahaha

2 is okay 3 is a masterpiece but ehh uprezing first game is a waste of time. It is very dated it needs more than res boost to become playable.

Also one thing we all forget is Fusion. lol how awesome everyone ignores that game hahaha

Fusion is ignored for a very good reason.:p

Planet

and possibly can't achieve it without degrading the image quality or frame rate.
Replace 'possibly' with 'certainly', and cut the frame rate part, because it can't be compromised. In contrary, with VR, frame drops are very much a no-go, whereas a regular game would be allowed to do so every now and then without much of a problem.

So yes, the visual downgrade would be substantial. But it wouldn't matter at all, you would still be blown away. :)

Danneee

VR would be nice (I don´t believe any visual downgrade would be necessary, I mean, it´s 1280x1080 60 fps on a PS3) but the real question is does it run in 4k 60fps on PS Pro?

Planet

The VR downgrade would be relative to the PS4 version, and don't forget you need to apply a much higher FOV for VR, because you have a completely different perspective on the world in there. It's not just the pixel count.

meppi

Oh hell no. 2097 is the best of the original trilogy. And the original is a timeless classic.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

"Okay"? 2 is the best game and the best soundtrack in the series by light years. The only real downside to the Omega Collection is that it does not include 2097/XL.

UGH! Everytime I see this thread bumped and no new info is posted, I die a little inside.

But it started Zone mode. Can't be ignored for having what became a series staple.

Well fusion mode was mostly the only good thing coming from it, but at least it started something good.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
"Okay"? 2 is the best game and the best soundtrack in the series by light years. The only real downside to the Omega Collection is that it does not include 2097/XL.

Oh hell no. 2097 is the best of the original trilogy. And the original is a timeless classic.

I used to have this opinion too but I've decided that 3 was my favorite. Its a little more demanding in terms of skill and looks gorgeous.

No denying that 2 has the better music tho.

What's the best game on this collection?

Its just 2 games really. HD and 2048. Fury was essentially an expansion to HD. To answer your question, HD is the best.

Top Bottom