• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

Dash_

Yup, but they only really went exclusive to Sony after they stopped being called Psygnosis. It's the only kind of conclusion I can draw as to why they had classic tracks in Wipeout 3 (a PS exclusive) and not in any game after that.

I'm not sure I really want old tracks any more, tbh. HD/Fury were all about that groove. Maybe it'd better to try something new.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Love the game, played a ton of HD online on the ps3, but the online for this game is dead. I bought it mainly for online and the lobby is like a ghost town. And the one room I join is 4/8 players with 2 of those players being so good that a mediocre player like me has no chance to catch them.

Since I just bought this game, and seeing that the online community is dead, is there a story to explore in singleplayer?
You're both American, right? Try changing your region to EU. There's always a full set of games going on there.

Shaneus

I'm not sure I really want old tracks any more, tbh. HD/Fury were all about that groove. Maybe it'd better to try something new.
Fair call. I'm just (still) working my way through 3SE on my Vita and can't get enough of the tracks on there. Or maybe it's just the handling I prefer.

SephLuis

This still takes a few hours but it seems like the best way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MExvWmr3oms

Just wanted to highlight this for everyone else that still needs to do the grind for lvl 50 in 2048.

The guy on the video description said he used a rubber band on his controller, but I also find a more convenient way to do it instead of using a rubber band. If you have an arcade stick, there's a chance that it has a turbo function, just use that.

Even more surprising, I found out that playing Wipeout on an arcade stick is viable lol

Dash_

Fair call. I'm just (still) working my way through 3SE on my Vita and can't get enough of the tracks on there. Or maybe it's just the handling I prefer.

I found I actually had 3SE in storage today. Been playing it tonight, and after trashtalking 2097's difficulty, my arse has been well and truly handed to me playing 3 (I remember being better).

Anyway, you all need to hear this track that I've been using to do time trials with. So, so Wipeout. Love it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=njsj58gk-4Y

SephLuis

I found I actually had 3SE in storage today. Been playing it tonight, and after trashtalking 2097's difficulty, my arse has been well and truly handed to me playing 3 (I remember being better).

Anyway, you all need to hear this track that I've been using to do time trials with. So, so Wipeout. Love it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=njsj58gk-4Y

I started the series with HD and you're telling me that 3 is even harder ?

Have you played the A+ challenges in 2048 ? I haven't seen this level of unfair AI since Diddy Kong Racing on the N64. Is Wipeout 3 even worse ?

Dash_

3's AI isn't as aggressive as Omega's.

The tracks design will happily laugh in your face though.

Think of Wipeout as futuristic BDSM with racing trails for whips. ; )

It's funny that 3 copped a bit of flack on release for being a bit "weightier" or something than 2097. Or at least it wasn't as forgiving with wall grinding.

I need to revisit the old titles to see where I stand after all these years.

Dash_

It's not necessarily weightier, but yeah, it's not as forgiving as 2097 when it comes to corners. 3 demands technical mastery, whereas with 2097 you can 'feel' your way around the courses (read: scrape when you arc).

I like that about 3 because it compliments the industrial, minimalistic vibe.

Edit: force walls can go do one, though.

Griss

Well, I think I hit my personal limit. Got all elite golds for Fury, and have only two left for HD, but it's impossible.

The two are single races for Sebenco Climb and Chenghou Project - my two worst tracks. I'm not that bad at Sebenco, actually, but the AI there is just unfair with how it handles the hairpins, especially the first one where I seem to lose a second to the AI every time no matter how well I take it. As for Chenghou, I lose so much damn time going around the slanted long turn in the middle of the track. Such a shit corner - not even autopilot can get you around it efficiently.

Have tried both around 12 times, and have never even been in first once at any stage. Silver on Sebenco and Bronze on Chenghou is the best I've done, but in neither race did I threaten to win.

Oh well, it was a fun journey and an amazing, amazing game.

It's not necessarily weightier, but yeah, it's not as forgiving as 2097 when it comes to corners. 3 demands technical mastery, whereas with 2097 you can 'feel' your way around the courses (read: scrape when you arc).

I like that about 3 because it compliments the industrial, minimalistic vibe.

I was sort of underwhelmed by the more muted colour scheme of 3 on release, but in hindisght it's a techical marvel for the PS1. Such a solid looking game compared to most on the system.

Dash_

Haha. It must have been stuck in my head from listening to your's.

Anyway, got me to revisit tech-house. There's some good stuff around.

I was sort of underwhelmed by the more muted colour scheme of 3 on release, but in hindisght it's a techical marvel for the PS1. Such a solid looking game compared to most on the system.

It definitely displays at a higher resolution than 2097. Between that and Ridge Racer Type 4 for best looking PS1 game.

Namco... where's our next-gen Ridge?

*Kaz from 2006 laughs*

SephLuis

Well, I think I hit my personal limit. Got all elite golds for Fury, and have only two left for HD, but it's impossible.

The two are single races for Sebenco Climb and Chenghou Project - my two worst tracks. I'm not that bad at Sebenco, actually, but the AI there is just unfair with how it handles the hairpins, especially the first one where I seem to lose a second to the AI every time no matter how well I take it. As for Chenghou, I lose so much damn time going around the slanted long turn in the middle of the track. Such a shit corner - not even autopilot can get you around it efficiently.

Have tried both around 12 times, and have never even been in first once at any stage. Silver on Sebenco and Bronze on Chenghou is the best I've done, but in neither race did I threaten to win.

Sebenco is easier than you think since there's plenty of barrel rolls opportunities.

1) first corner of the lap. Pick the speed up pad and barrel roll
2) long straight part that goes a little bit down in the middle of a lap can be used for a barrel roll too. It's also the best place to use turbo
3) after the long straight, be sure to pick the second speed pad and barrel roll out of it.
4) after the S part in the end, you can barrel roll. Though this one is a bit difficult.

Remember to throw away any items you don't need and focus on try to get turbos. It helps a lot in Sebenco and Chenghou.

Chenghou is probably the worst track of HD and I agree with you that it can be a pain the ass. Basically, what I can recommend is:

1) After the tight corner in the beginning, do two barrel rolls in the jumping part.
2) Right after number 1, it's difficult to keep your ship on the ground, but try to do it as close to the left side as possible. The more you float, the more speed you lose.
3) After getting out of 2, it's one of the best places for a turbo if you got one.
4) After the long jump (don't forget to barrel roll) look for the item pads. You want to use them to refill your energy or pick a turbo.

If you still have problems, I can do a video later showing how to beat those. I think I still have to do them myself, I don't remember finishing Meltdown yet.

just checked all regions

only one game open with one person in it rip

maybe they could make the online multiplayer free or something and campaign locked behind a paywall

I happened to beat both of those last night. Chenghou might be one of the crappiest tracks in the entire series I think. It's got that hairpin at the beginning that is hard enough in time trial let alone with other racers slamming you around or rocket up your ass. The big sweeping curve after the jumps, i can honestly say I have never done it satisfactorily in my mind.

It always reminds me how sublime Phenitia Park in 2097 is; 2nd turn there is perfectly doable at the fastest speeds if you have the right approach, you have to get the exit right to squeeze through the chicane-y bit, and then zig zag up up the hill. The hills and dips never try to run you off the course! In Chenghou, you have to turn into the hill no matter what. Nose ends up all over the place, you're bouncing uncontrollably everywhere, and if you're really unlucky, sliding off the right into the out of course bit! It's pot luck half the time if you'll even be able to line up for the pads afterwards, even though they're right next to each other lol. The next bend again has hills digging in your sides on the racing line, then the jump where they may as well have not placed boost or item pads (on faster speeds) since you go right over them. Followed by the finish that'll cost you the race if you mess it up!

Sebenco is not much better. Turbo right into ramming your nose into the hill or if you didn't, fly too far past the corner, then a shitload of pitch adjustment blind corners - the AI again has a field day hitting you here! At least it's not impossible to do it right, but it's one of the hardest sections in the game. The rest is ok, though I don't like the tunnel much, as it feels more like luck when you hit that second pad. Sagarmatha in 2097 is again much much better.

The AI in both is just brutal mostly cause they cheat on the turns. I avoided barrel rolls on Chenghou to conserve energy and be able to use weapons. If you get out of the pack early you'll have more chance. Same on Sebenco. Mostly you just wanna hope you get a few turbos and avoid the AI's insta-bomb drops!

PJLuFVt.gif

Shaneus

It always reminds me how sublime Phenitia Park in 2097 is; 2nd turn there is perfectly doable at the fastest speeds if you have the right approach, you have to get the exit right to squeeze through the chicane-y bit, and then zig zag up up the hill. The hills and dips never try to run you off the course! In Chenghou, you have to turn into the hill no matter what. Nose ends up all over the place, you're bouncing uncontrollably everywhere, and if you're really unlucky, sliding off the right into the out of course bit! It's pot luck half the time if you'll even be able to line up for the pads afterwards, even though they're right next to each other lol. The next bend again has hills digging in your sides on the racing line, then the jump where they may as well have not placed boost or item pads (on faster speeds) since you go right over them. Followed by the finish that'll cost you the race if you mess it up!
Had to look up that track because I don't know many (if any) by name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teRLXBPqHW4
Holy shit.

Had to look up that track because I don't know many (if any) by name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teRLXBPqHW4
Holy shit.

Qirex is fun but Piranha is where it's at :) It's such a great course for racing with the Negcon too ... bloody hard but infinitely re-playable with the fractions of a second you can shave off. Only wished that 2097 showed times to 2 or 3 decimal points!

Actually now that I think about it, does HD/Fury have a perfect stats ship to unlock?

The two are single races for Sebenco Climb and Chenghou Project - my two worst tracks... As for Chenghou, I lose so much damn time going around the slanted long turn in the middle of the track. Such a shit corner - not even autopilot can get you around it efficiently.

You can do it! With that long corner in the middle, try tilting the nose of your craft forward; that'll give you more 'grip' on the track! Also, the big jump near the end of the track before the mini chicanes, you can fall off it prematurely to save you time being in the air. Again, you can do it!

I love this game and if there's justice in this world we'll get a brand new Wipeout installment one of this days...

With VR support! :p

Dash_

Qirex is fun but Piranha is where it's at :) It's such a great course for racing with the Negcon too ... bloody hard but infinitely re-playable with the fractions of a second you can shave off. Only wished that 2097 showed times to 2 or 3 decimal points!

Actually now that I think about it, does HD/Fury have a perfect stats ship to unlock?

Watching that lore video and damn, Qirex would fit right in with the current Russian government. : D

Re: ships with perfect stats. I think the closest speed/handling-wise is Tigron.

With VR support! :p

Preach!

Which game is hardest? completed 2048,elite passing everything, going on to HD next on elite difficulty what should I expect?

HD is definitely much easier, I'm breezing through it. Really surprised I'm not finding this to be as much of a challenge after all these years! Beat Zico HD was good fun though.

Dash_

Any tips for elite passing Sol 2 Venom on Dropzone? I'm always a half second short, despite trying both Tigron and Icarus. : (

Edit: never mind. Got it! Phew.

Relceroi

Neo Member
The Elite Pass requirement for this 2049 campaign Combat Event in Subway is absolutely insane. 100 points in under 2 minutes? Is there some kind of trick to it? Best I can tell is I'm going to have to try again and again until I happen to get just the right pickups at just the right times. My current best is 88 and that is with hitting basically every weapon pad and launching the weapon immediately, getting a hit almost every time.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
well, you lost momentum by scraping the wall when you were close to the final loop

A+ challenges punish errors while in the lead very harshly

not saying it's a fair mode though

Yeah it was just frustrating nailing three perfect laps in a row and then one fuck-up costing me the race.

Just seems like the difficulty is made artificial in these 10-lap races. I can be going full pelt in a fast ship, nailing corners, and I'll see others just stroll ahead of me with zero effort and then slow down to my speed once they're ahead of me. And I don't know if I'm paranoid but it looks like they recover a lot quicker from missiles and stuff. Mah, still enjoying it loads.

The Elite Pass requirement for this 2049 campaign Combat Event in Subway is absolutely insane. 100 points in under 2 minutes?

Well, know that it's possible... i honestly think that event was an oversight from rushing the game for Vita launch or something! Every combat event beforehand is far more generous with the time and lax with the points. This one always runs out of time much to my surprise the first time, then i'll look up at the requirements and remember "OH, IT'S YOU!". Should be at least 2:30 if they wanted to have a gradual difficulty curve. IIRC some 2050 ones are harder still though... I jumped from 2049 into HD and Fury for now... so i'll be reminded later!

Dash_

It's doable, but yeah, it took me about 20 goes to get elite. Easily the worst combat event in the game. Shame as the rest are fun.

Relceroi

Neo Member
Finished it with a score of 112. I got very lucky with the pickups and got 7 or so good hits in with plasma. And now I see that Downtown for some reason has otherwise the same requirements except the time limit is set at 3 minutes. Weird.

OuiOuiBa

The Elite Pass requirement for this 2049 campaign Combat Event in Subway is absolutely insane. 100 points in under 2 minutes? Is there some kind of trick to it? Best I can tell is I'm going to have to try again and again until I happen to get just the right pickups at just the right times. My current best is 88 and that is with hitting basically every weapon pad and launching the weapon immediately, getting a hit almost every time.
Yup, this one is difficult, I am struggling with it, too. What I have noticed is that I don't take the route most other ships take, so I end up idle for some time. But I'm still very far from the objective, that won't make up for it and I think I will still need some luck :/

Relceroi

Neo Member
These 2050 campaign Zone requirements look quite tough. Getting to Zone 70 on Altima is going to take some trying. On the other hand the main event line was easy. Difficulty is all over the place.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
These 2050 campaign Zone requirements look quite tough. Getting to Zone 70 on Altima is going to take some trying. On the other hand the main event line was easy. Difficulty is all over the place.

You can do it. Subway is what you should worry about LOL

Top Bottom