• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 combat gets 100 times better once you unlock Whirl attack (gifs ahoy)

Sanctuary

You can't really enjoy any atmosphere if you have to spend a week learning how to get from the spawn place to the second corridor. Hence the half a year assessment. I also don't see anything slow in how these games are starting as lots of people are having problems in them in like first five minutes.

Not everyone is that bad at video games. You have to be exaggerating with your assessment too, considering a lot of people beat Demon's Souls without a walkthrough in a week, and then similarly again with Dark Souls.

DemWalls

The Witcher 3 does suffer from the typical open world lack of urgency, but it tries to make up for that with meaningful side content. If you'll ignore the story for a while, at least you'll do it for other well developed stories.

Honestly, if it weren't for the sizeable experience gains the main quests warrant, which are then required to tackle the side content, I wouldn't find it ridiculous if someone recommended to avoid the story altogether. I think the main quest in TW3 is decently written, and has some great characters and character interactions (and that's more than you can say about most modern RPGs, especially in the AAA space), but the plot itself really is nothing to write home about.

Ciri's power outburst in Kaer Morhen was so "shonen" I actually cringed a bit.

danthefan

Just tried to whirl my way through a pack of wolves, they didn't seem to give one shit and killed me in 2 seconds flat, what am I doing wrong?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
shame blindless love avoid all stepback and objectivity,
Objectivity...?

You liked them for what reason exactly?
They are charming, their back story and/or personality is cool and interesting, and I cared about their fates.

Doom story is optional, not non-existent as well.
Are you comparing Bloodborne or Dark Souls's story to Doom's?

You can't really enjoy any atmosphere if you have to spend a week learning how to get from the spawn place to the second corridor.
tina-fey-eyeroll.jpg

Didn't realize I was talking to DSP's gaf account. Nevermind...

dlauv

Witcher has a really solid lore and incorporates cosmic horror, standard horror and science in a neat way with standard high fantasy and political drama.

You're not really going to take all of that in by just playing through the game (you'd have to read the text and probably the books), but there's one mission towards the end in the standard campaign and one optional towards the end in Blood and Wine that deal with it slightly.

How many hours into the game can one acquire whirl, realistically?

A long time and all the abilities in tier 1 and 2 are just damage and crit modifiers and extremely boring.

Thats why I always end up unlocking the signs first, even on a recent new game where I intended to put points into sword. Love those alternate sign modes.

I would have preferred that sword combat let you unlock combos and have a whole bunch of new moves like that (since whirl and rend are the only new moves in the entire tree)

I felt the same way originally, OP, but I quickly got bored of whirling my way through combat.

I actually think the Witcher is at its best when it's just you, one on one, with another human challenger. It feels like what I imagine a real swordfight would be like. I started speccing towards heavy attacks because it felt more tactical and thoughtful, and less hack and slashy.

Regginator

I fail to see how the combat gets a 100 times better by spamming an overpowered move, but maybe that's just me, lol.

Then again, I never really disliked Witcher 3's combat to begin with, I even liked it, as opposed to Witcher 1 and 2's awful combat systems. The first one was a weird hybrid, like they didn't really know what direction to take it in, and the second one was straight up repetitive (hit once, dodge, hit once, dodge, hit once, dodge).

It disappoints me how every thread about this game seems to be reduced to Bloodborne vs. Witcher with the occasional mention of Dragon's Dogma. And what's worse, I feel that the claims become more and more exaggerated every time. Of course it's possible for people to have strong opinions about this or that matter, but I can't help but feel a bit suspicious when someone pushes forward the narrative that TW3's combat is garbage, terrible or any other really negative term. It's as if people have a binary attitude about it.

As for whirl, I feel I became disillusioned with it fairly quick. I still like having it because TW3 doesn't have many active abilities, and occasionally it can be fun, like when you freeze a cluster of enemies. But normally I prefer just dodging around and mixing different attacks and tools. I certainly don't consider whirl to rectify the combat, other than adding a new move in a game that could really benefit from more.

Ciri's power outburst in Kaer Morhen was so "shonen" I actually cringed a bit.
Ugh, that scene still makes me uncomfortable.

Top Bottom