• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 expansions "almost size of Witcher 2"

Mononoke

Banned
Honestly, this is a much more bang for your buck then Skyrim. The amount of side content in the main game alone (and the quality of them), makes Witcher 3 already a lengthy game. And w/ these kind of expansions, damn.

The only benefit Skyrim had was all the modding. It was like the best sand box ever for modding. I spent like 200 hours alone modding. But in terms of content, I think the world and the missions are much much better and more substantial than Skyrim.

Game was so worth $60

Sotha_Sil

The game is going to take me forever to finish at the rate work allows me to play. Now there'll be 30+ hours to tack on? Plus MGS5 and Fallout 4?

Shit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
On one hand, talk is talk, and my experience with an overwhelming majority of DLC even from developers I love is that they're never as long as they're advertised. And this is coming from someone who plays slow, and has shelled out for overpriced content that I still loved.

That being said, Wild Hunt had far more content and consistency in quality of that content than I expected, even while highly anticipating the game due to the talent involved.

Ten hours is, in practice, a lot of content. If the first pack can truly deliver on that, and the second doubles, then I'll be very impressed.

Fuz

Banned
They mean two expansions, put together, are almost as big as TW2?
It's not that impressive.

I already gave up hope at the beginning. Why? Because no one mentioned him or seeing him. I figured a sighting of him would have been mentioned within a week if he was there (seems enough people finished the game you'd hear of it). I mean I already knew Letho and Roche were in the game (well depending on choices).

I really wish Iorveth was in it.

If it makes you feel better, I'm absolutely sure they used the guy who voiced Iorveth as several random NPC voices.
Actually some elves in the game talk about him
they say that he was shot with arrows and is dead
but I don't believe it, I'm pretty sure he'll be back

Mohonky

Almost size of Witcher 2 but only 10-20 hours?
It took me at least 50 hours to beat the game lol.
Can't wait!

Yeh I hate this metric of 'game size' as opposed to game content, its entirely misleading. If the game world is super huge but there isnt a great deal in it, who cares how big it is.

Knowing CDPR there will be lots to do in it, but 'game world is x big compared to last gen / last title' doesnt resally tell you just shit about how much content is in it.

Braag

They mean two expansions, put together, are almost as big as TW2?
It's not that impressive.

Looking at what other games are offering in their Season passes or DLCs and how much they're charging for them... 25€ for 30 hours worth of content sounds pretty good.

Seanspeed

Banned
Honestly, this is a much more bang for your buck then Skyrim. The amount of side content in the main game alone (and the quality of them), makes Witcher 3 already a lengthy game. And w/ these kind of expansions, damn.

The only benefit Skyrim had was all the modding. It was like the best sand box ever for modding. I spent like 200 hours alone modding. But in terms of content, I think the world and the missions are much much better and more substantial than Skyrim.

Game was so worth $60
Skyrim has tons of content, though. You might prefer the content in TW3, but its definitely not better bang-for-buck or more substantial. And the Dragonborn expansion was a pretty significant chunk of new content as well.

Sakura

I haven't been paying attention because I wasn't even aware expansions were coming.
Guess I have to hang on to my copy of the game then.

jesu

Yeh I hate this metric of 'game size' as opposed to game content, its entirely misleading. If the game world is super huge but there isnt a great deal in it, who cares how big it is.

Knowing CDPR there will be lots to do in it, but 'game world is x big compared to last gen / last title' doesnt resally tell you just shit about how much content is in it.

Length of the content is what CDPR are talking about, not the world size.

Interview with game director Konrad Tomaszkiewicz at Gamelab:

Full interview here - http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/329274/Witcher+3+expansions+%22almost+size+of+Witcher+2%22/

NEW GWENT CARDS HYPE!!!

BxPHNkQ.gif

They said the entire game was 100 hours in a normal run, 200 hours doing everything... and it was true, even if I thought it was an exaggeration. I needed 126 hours to do every quest, and still have dozens of question marks to explore.

So if they are saying now it's 10 hours + 20 hours, I will believe them.

I'm still waiting for that Gwent app, CDPR. We need one, and you know we do. Gwent all day, every day.

So in for these expansions. Gonna buy 'em with the PC version once I upgrade my GPU.

Sanjay

I want them to make Gwent online playable against other people playing for high stakes like any one card from each other for online play.

That would be so awesome right guys. Take all your cards for free.

OmegaDL50

On one hand, talk is talk, and my experience with an overwhelming majority of DLC even from developers I love is that they're never as long as they're advertised. And this is coming from someone who plays slow, and has shelled out for overpriced content that I still loved.

That being said, Wild Hunt had far more content and consistency in quality of that content than I expected, even while highly anticipating the game due to the talent involved.

Ten hours is, in practice, a lot of content. If the first pack can truly deliver on that, and the second doubles, then I'll be very impressed.

CDPR claimed Witcher 3 took 200 hours to do everything in the game, main quest, side quests, and clearing every objective on the map, and thus far those claims are fairly spot on.

Consider we have people admitting to putting 130+ hours into the game and some just arriving at Skellige, I'd say the 30 additional hours for the expansion content factoring an entirely new region and additional quests and activities in Velen, isn't unrealistic.

Ooccoo

I want foil Gwent cards and an epic tournament (building on the high stakes tournament from vanilla TW3).

Iceternal

CDPR claimed Witcher 3 took 200 hours to do everything in the game, main quest, side quests, and clearing every objective on the map, and thus far those claims are fairly spot on.

Consider we have people admitting to putting 130+ hours into the game and some just arriving at Skellige, I'd say the 30 additional hours for the expansion content factoring an entirely new region and additional quests and activities in Velen, isn't unrealistic.

Considering the game took me 100+ hours to finish, a 10h expansion sounds a little low actually (can't believe I'm saying that) but there's never too much Witcher 3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I know, I've spent 160+ hours on it myself. But yeah, I'm just so used to DLC claims of "It'll take X hours" and even for myself usually lasting half that at best.

I don't really care, mind you. Wild Hunt is my GOTY with no contender so I know I'll enjoy whatever content the expansion packs deliver.

Nowhere near close to finishing W3, but I will buy this day 1. They deserve it for treating their fans proper and not microtransaction numbers. Couldn't believe at the physical content of opening a standard edition.

jacobeid

Banned
I'm so glad that these are coming.

Going to trade in my PS4 copy of Arkham Knight to BB
I still have the Steam version too :(
this weekend and use that credit on a PSN card for the expansion pass.

OmegaDL50

Can't wait for a PC Enhanced edition with everything included in a year or so.

If it's anything like the Witcher 1 and 2 which the Enhanced Edition were free updates to the original version. Simply waiting until the EE to play the game won't really matter, if you own the base game already, you will likely end up getting the upgrade to the Enhanced Edition anyways.

AndyD

aka andydumi
If it's anything like the Witcher 1 and 2 which the Enhanced Edition were free updates to the original version. Simply waiting until the EE to play the game won't really matter, if you own the base game already, you will likely end up getting the upgrade to the Enhanced Edition anyways.

I forgot they were free updates. Good deal.

The_Poet

Banned
People getting excited over card games always makes me sigh. Card games. Good lord.

Assuming you're being sarcastic here.

I have nothing against card games, I play hearthstone a fair bit. Gwent just isn't all that good. Its the best card game attached as a side thing to an rpg for sure. But I've heard people say its better then hearthstone, really? Come on.

I feel like Roach should be able to die like how horses in Red Dead could die. Would really drive the point home that Geralt names every horse Roach. Right now it just seems like it's the same horse, even in Skellige.

He doesnt only name evey horse he has Roach. In the books he explicitly says that all the horses he has are mares, brown and with the white stripe in the nose.

Thats why it would be a little bit wrong from the books lore that they changed Roach's color, and CDPR loves respecting its source material, even in the smallets details, so...

People getting excited over card games always makes me sigh. Card games. Good lord.

I know right, I hate it when people like things I don't like. Why couldn't everybody not like gwent like us.

Fixed for what people say about your hobby, and how stupid your statement makes you sound.
Its funny, he probably seems like the type that will get bent out of shape if someone was mocking video games.

I really need to start The Witcher 3, don't I?

The sheer amount of content in these games is rather daunting. Any Gaffers have tips on how to manage my work/life balance around TW3? It is hard enough to find the time as it is.

Percy

Banned
"Please buy our season pass."

Thinking I'll maybe hold out for the GOTY re-release instead of getting these as they come out. Already finished the main game and I'm not in any major hurry to revisit.

Is it only two expansions planned in total?

Its not tiny tiny, but its fairly small for a modern RPG. Takes less than 30 hours to beat, only has like what, 3-4 main environments?

Was shorter and smaller than the first Witcher.

Yes it was a lot shorter than the first game thats true.

But the game changes massively in the second playthrough when you change between Roche and Iorveth.

Still not as big as 1 and 3, but not that short either.

"Please buy our season pass."

Thinking I'll maybe hold out for the GOTY re-release instead of getting these as they come out. Already finished the main game and I'm not in any major hurry to revisit.

Is it only two expansions planned in total?

Games got 2 expansions at most in the golden days, so that would be the normal thing to do. And CDPR has said time and time again in this PRs that you dont need to but the season pass if you dont want, just wait an then decide.

dedhead54

Take my money, CDPR.

I am almost done with the main quest and I will probably set the game aside for a bit until fall so I can focus on some other games. I will dive back in around when the first expansion is out to work on the ?'s, etc.

Top Bottom