• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Wait, so there's no point at all in having a physX card for TW3, or do you just mean that the extra card won't help for GameWorks specifically?

Correct, no point at all.

Hey Andy, get a chance to play around with these variables at all?

MeshRenderingDistanceScale=2
MeshLODDistanceScale=2

Yes, no impact anywhere. I even tested those stake defence things you highlighted in Witcher 2! :)

Nvidia recommends a Titran X for 4K Uber w/ Hairworks for 30+ fps, can you concur with this?

I actually said 2-Way TITAN X SLI: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-is-your-system-ready

Waxwing

Well, they do matter, but most settings are not worth their performance cost when low looks so good, that's for sure.

Which is a great thing to me.

Funny thing, too- in the vid I watched, the rig they tested on couldn't handle ultra at 60, so low looked quite a bit more appealing.

EDIT: A 970, apparently. Hmm...definitely knocking some things down for my 780.

Shably

Neo Member
System specs

i7 4790k@4.5Ghz
16 gigs ram
I have 2 x MSI 780 OC The one with 6 gigs Vram in SLI

I have slightly overclocked them.

Just wondering how the 7 series perform compared to the 9 series when hairworks is in use.

I am going to hook my PC up to my TV tonight. Will be playing at 1080p.

With everything set to ultra maybe shadows set to high do you think I can hit 60 fps? or perhaps I should lock it at 30?

Also hairworks enabled.

i5 3570k and HD7950 here as well.

Any other HD7000 users here?

The R9 280X is a rebadged HD7970 for reference. The 7950 isn't much worse then it considering if you OC your 7950 to the same clocks as a 7970 (i.e 925Mhz Core and 1375 Mem) it's a 5% difference.

i5-2500k and 7850 here. Pls god have mercy...

Vitor711

980 has been covered since the beginning. You'll be fine with everything on Ultra.

Yeah, but it didn't specify the FPS from the start - was looking for an update there.

According to PCGH the gtx 980 achieves ~50fps on 1080p ultra(ssao and without hairworks). Performance doesn't seem that great on Uutra.

Wasn't this with the old build? Or am I getting that mixed up?

Redmoon

15-20 with massive lag if I tried to move. A happy medium exists, just need the hours to tweak and tweak.
Were the cards overclocked? I could see an extra 5-7 fps with an OC
Also, massive lag as in input/stuttering or fps went down the drain?

BatNIC

Neo Member
Wasn't this with the old build? Or am I getting that mixed up?

New build. 1080p Benchmark:

KNUlPRE.png

paolo11

Hello, Andy. How many fps do I expect for SLI 980M GTX 1080p max settings? I have a Sager gaming laptop and I want to know how the performance goes.

BraXzy

Can you tweak settings on the fly or do you have to exit the game and alter things in a launcher? It's so much easier getting the sweet spot of graphics settings/FPS when you can quickly alter stuff in real time.

Great work Andy, really helps a lot. You probably saved Eatchildren a ton of time just tweaking things. I was gonna wait for him to do all the tweak work and give GAF his opinion on things, but you beat him to the punch! I can't wait to play this, it looks so damn fun.

CHC

Any reports of 700-series performance? I know that the 900-series has better tesselation performance so I'm wondering how drastically older cards drop off when it comes to water and hair effects.

I think I should be okay. Hopefully my CPU can handle streaming this game.

I have an i5-4670 @ 3.4ghz and AMD r7 260. I'm kind of nervous though :/

Anyone else with similar specs?

i7 920 @ stock speed, 2.8GHz
GTX 660ti overclocked to stock 670 speed
6 miserable GBs of RAM

But I'm fine with 30fps, so I think I'll be fine at the very least on High. I will post results later and maybe a benchmark as well. I don't mind running at a locked 30fps since I always played on consoles up until 2009, so I'm fine with enjoying 60fps gameplay for 1-2 years after buying a graphics cards, then for heavier games cranking all settings up and locking the games at 30. Good motion blur also helps.

I still have an i7-920 that I've kept for my wifes build and it's a great cpu with a lot(a lot) of overhead for overclocking. As long as you have a decent cpu cooler, you could easily hit 3.8(3.2 at a minimum) and still have enough room to overclock if it'll stick. Look into it, it's worth doing to squeeze some extra life outta that CPU.

W Hudson

I have a i5-4670k and a 3gb 780. Am I realistic in hoping to run Hairworks and physX at 1080p with an acceptable framerate (consistently at or over 30)?

DPB

Any reports of 700-series performance? I know that the 900-series has better tesselation performance so I'm wondering how drastically older cards drop off when it comes to water and hair effects.

According to pcgameshardware.de, Kepler cards (600 and 700 series) seem to be performing very badly. Their benchmarks have the 770 and 780 below even the 960 and 285.

I have a i5-4670k and a 3gb 780. Am I realistic in hoping to run Hairworks and physX at 1080p with an acceptable framerate (consistently at or over 30)?

PhysX is cpu bound as far as I understand it. So your clock speed of your CPU will be a bigger factor than your GPU as far as I know. Doesn't look like Hairworks is in the running for us at 60fps. We'll see for 30, I'd be willing to bet with some slight tweaks we'd see it at 30 with most effects enabled. But 30fps is disgusting and should be avoided like the plague.

I have a 780 too and have been anxiously awaiting the new line of cards to upgrade. I was hoping to upgrade before W3 came out but AMD/Nvidia are really trying to get rid of all their old stock before launching a new card it seems.

I guess I'll start on very high, see if I hit a consistent 60fps with my 970 and I'll start tweaking up/down from there.
I reckon the game doesn't have a benchmark tool to make the process easier?

Genio88

New build.

KNUlPRE.png

How can a 980 be just 5fps better than a 970? Plus what about this from Nvidia

tweet.png

It says that a GTX 980 should run 1080p with GameWorks(Hairworks and HBAO+) on, and all that staying always over 40fps in the more demanding situation

Kaze2212

tweet.png

It says that a GTX 980 should run 1080p with GameWorks(Hairworks and HBAO+) on, and all that staying always over 40fps in the more demanding situation

This has me confused aswell actually.

ACE 1991

What program should I use to lock framerate? Seems like ultra (hairworks off) with an r9 290 locked to 30 will be the way to go, at least on launch day.

Genio88

Can individual components of game works be enabled or disabled? For example, no PhysX or HBAO+, just hairworks on.

Yes, PhysX isn't available, you can choose if turn on or off HBAO+ and then you have a separate option for HairWorks, where you have three choices: off, only on Geralt hair or on everybody(which would be Geralt, his horse and the monsters)

BatNIC

Neo Member
tweet.png

I think this table was created with the preview build. Andy mentioned that he had to re-do most of his work (maybe i got this wrong). See:

I do the writing, the screenshots, the benchmarking, the HTML'ing, the editing, the formatting, and the deployment. In other words, it is just me. And I re-did 90% of the work over the weekend and today when CDP dropped off that new build that changed a whole load of settings.

I don't know about the 980 they used but that particular 970 is seriously overclocked and isn't too far from a stock 980. I assume the figures below each card are GPU frequencies.

kinggroin

Banned
Yes, PhysX isn't available, you can choose if turn on or off HBAO+ and then you have a separate option for HairWorks, where you have three choices: off, only on Geralt hair or on everybody(which would be Geralt, his horse and the monsters)

Damn,bad ass.

Guess I'll try hair works and SSAO

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Can individual components of game works be enabled or disabled? For example, no PhysX or HBAO+, just hairworks on.

PhysX is hard coded into the game. HBAO+ and HairWorks can be changed like any other graphics setting.

Were the cards overclocked? I could see an extra 5-7 fps with an OC
Also, massive lag as in input/stuttering or fps went down the drain?

I don't OC for my articles (with the exception of the SLI scaling cut-out to demonstrate that the game can use all available GPU power) as it wouldn't be representative of people's experiences.

Hello, Andy. How many fps do I expect for SLI 980M GTX 1080p max settings? I have a Sager gaming laptop and I want to know how the performance goes.

No idea, sorry. Notebooks vary greatly, so a Sager 980M SLI may perform much faster or slower than than a 980M SLI from another manufacturer.

Can you tweak settings on the fly or do you have to exit the game and alter things in a launcher? It's so much easier getting the sweet spot of graphics settings/FPS when you can quickly alter stuff in real time.

You can do the standard settings in-game. Advanced stuff needs config file changing.

tweet.png

That chart was generated before the updated build with massively altered settings was cooked by CDP. I have not yet had opportunity to do a A-B perf test between the two.

Top Bottom