• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

New build.

KNUlPRE.png

Something doesn't seem right here, 970 beating the 780ti and the OG Titan, and by not a narrow margin?

Save us Day 1 Driver updates!

Vuze

There's an in-game lock, let's hope it delivers frames consistently.
Oh that's nice; if it delivers "smooth" 30fps, I might go for it and use Hairworks for everything and ramp up the other settings as far as possible too. Hairworks on the monsters looks just so good, I really don't want to miss out on that.

UnrealEck

Those benchmarks are really weird. Like as if it's Kepler versus Maxwell instead of power versus power.
970 has a pretty good lead over the 780 Ti for example. Isn't the 780 Ti usually ahead of the 970?

Khasim

Dear Andy, could you please advise if it's possible to turn Hairworks OFF for Geralt, but keep it for the monsters? Geralt's HW hair looks a little too L'Oreal to my taste, but the monsters look so damn good.

DPB

Something doesn't seem right here, 970 beating the 780ti and the OG Titan, and by not a narrow margin?

Save us Day 1 Driver updates!

That's with the drivers that were released for TW3 today. Kepler performance is abysmal across the board.

Kinthalis

Banned
Those benchmarks are really weird. Like as if it's Kepler versus Maxwell instead of power versus power.
970 has a pretty good lead over the 780 Ti for example. Isn't the 780 Ti usually ahead of the 970?

Andy mentions in his guide that tessellation performance on the new cards is much better than in the 700 series. But the benchmarks are mostly without hairworks on.

UnrealEck

Andy mentions in his guide that tessellation performance on the new cards is much better than in the 700 series. But the benchmarks are mostly without hairworks on.

I wonder what else is tesselated then. I thought they removed tesselation almost completely.

Kezen

Banned
I wonder what else is tesselated then. I thought they removed tesselation almost completely.

Tessellation alone can't explain why Kepler cards perform very badly, strangely enough since Maxwell (GM204) has been on the market.

That sends a disastrous message to all Nvidia customers.

Vamphuntr

Yeah glad someone else is seeing it.
It's honestly not too encouraging for future nVidia card purchases.

Are people really surprised by this? This is the same company that sold 3.5 GB card as 4 GB. I guess this is a way to force people to update to the 900 series.

daninthemix

Interesting also that even low shadows seem to be quite acceptable, compared to the pixelly mess of other games. Might be worth the fps gain of dropping those.

LMAO @ people a couple months ago saying that a Titan X, or even a 980 was complete overkill for 1080P and that you're wasting your money if you are buying them for 1080P gaming. Yet here I am with my 980, wishing that the 980Ti was out already so I can play The Witcher 3 @1080P/60FPS locked w/ maxed settings. People are so short sited.

Durante

The foliage tweaking part of the guide is interesting.

Looks pretty neat:
the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-foliagedistancescale-config-file-tweak-001-6.png

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-grassdensity-config-file-tweak-001-4800.png

Same goes for the shadow tweaking section:
the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-cascadeshadowdmapsize-config-file-tweak-001-8192.png

Impressive depth Andy!

Normally if the 780ti isn't outright ahead, it's at least neck-and-neck. The only reason I could think of this happening is some sort of Maxwell-only feature that's being brute-forced on the Kepler cards. And if that's the case, disabling that particular feature (if that is possible) should give a decent framerate boost.

Otherwise, the only other explanation I can think of is some shady upgrade bullshit being pulled by Nvidia.

On the Maxwell/Kepler issue, I'd wait for a larger array of tests and settings, just to see if some particular effects plough older cars while newer are more resilient. That wouldn't be unheard of, at all,

The Llama

Tessellation alone can't explain why Kepler cards perform very badly, strangely enough since Maxwell (GM204) has been on the market.

Has this happened before with nVidia cards? Can't remember if it has, but I really don't remember a previous architecture being as disregarded as Kepler has been.

UnrealEck

That's the impression I'm getting too.
With AMD's new cards and flagship on the horizon, it's not a good time for this. I'll reserve judgement until I'm given a more conclusive impression on what's happening between GM and GK though.

Daedardus

Something is seriously wrong with Kepler, Nvidia need to better optimize their drivers.

And I'm not alone in thinking this :
http://www.overclock.net/t/1556199/pcgameshardware-witcher-3-benchmarks/10

A 960 toe to toe with a 780 ? I don't buy that.

Someone told me that Maxwell is more efficient at compute shaders, so that when a game uses a lot of them, the performance difference between Maxwell and Keppler widens. Same thing happens to Star Citizen as well. Not sure how accurate this is though, I'm not a real expert on GPU architecture.

jett

D-Member
Has this happened before with nVidia cards? Can't remember if it has, but I really don't remember a previous architecture being as disregarded as Kepler has been.

Nvidia I don't know, but AMD decided anything below 285 cards weren't worthy of downsampling.

For reasons. Because fuck consumers.

CHC

Ugh I'm kinda grossed out by 700 series performance. I know it's cool to have the latest model of graphics cards and all but I was kinda hoping my 500+ dollars spent would allow me to max games for at least like 2-3 years.

SmartBase

My two R9 290s and the reactor powering them are ready...but AMD isn't.

The foliage tweaking part of the guide is interesting.

Looks pretty neat:
the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-foliagedistancescale-config-file-tweak-001-6.png

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-grassdensity-config-file-tweak-001-4800.png

Same goes for the shadow tweaking section:
the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-cascadeshadowdmapsize-config-file-tweak-001-8192.png

Impressive depth Andy!

That looks pretty good, are these just cfg tweaks?

golem

Kepler was always deficient at compute vs Maxwell (as well as vs R9 290s). Not surprised its starting to show in games.

The Cowboy

AMD decided anything below 285 cards weren't worthy of downsampling.

Its worse than that, cards that are higher than an R9 285 can't use VSR officially. You need certain revisions of cards because reasons, despite the fact that with modified drivers - you can have VSR working just fine on a lot of cards (i have it on my R9 280x).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nvidia I don't know, but AMD decided anything below 285 cards weren't worthy of downsampling.

Wait, 280x can't downsample? Didn't it come out *after* the 285? Like, why wouldn't they allow downsampling on the GPU with 1gB more VRAM?

Dreathlock

After looking at more and more benchmarks i think i will get the PS4 version.
My 780 cant handle it very well obviously. :( But i will try it tonight and decide tomorrow. Sadly i already pre-ordered this on steam.

Normally if the 780ti isn't outright ahead, it's at least neck-and-neck. The only reason I could think of this happening is some sort of Maxwell-only feature that's being brute-forced on the Kepler cards. And if that's the case, disabling that particular feature (if that is possible) should give a decent framerate boost.

Otherwise, the only other explanation I can think of is some shady upgrade bullshit being pulled by Nvidia.

It's honestly no real secret that Kepler has been all but abandoned by Nvidia. In quite a few recent games the 290/290X pulls far ahead of the 780 series.

I do the writing, the screenshots, the benchmarking, the HTML'ing, the editing, the formatting, and the deployment. In other words, it is just me. And I re-did 90% of the work over the weekend and today when CDP dropped off that new build that changed a whole load of settings.

*dead*

Thanks!

Great work as usual Andy, man I'm hoping I could get hairworks up and running on my 970 by reducing some of the grass and trees. Hairworks just looks too good to pass up

The Llama

The 270's and 280's are based off the 7xxx series architecture which doesn't have the hardware to do it in the same way that the 290's and the 285 (based off a newer architecture) do. Last I read, they were looking into an alternate way to make it work for the 270's and 280's but I don't know what happened to it.
Also despite owning a 290x I have 0 interest in downsampling.

Wait, 280x can't downsample? Didn't it come out *after* the 285?

The 285 came out after the 280 and 280x, which are basically rebranded 7950 and 7970's. The 285 is based on a newer architecture which is supposedly also the base for the new 390x.

jett

D-Member
Wait, 280x can't downsample? Didn't it come out *after* the 285?

The 285 came after, but it's less powerful than the 280X.

The 270's and 280's are based off the 7xxx series architecture which doesn't have the hardware to do it in the same way that the 290's and the 285 (based off a newer architecture) do. Last I read, they were looking into an alternate way to make it work for the 270's and 280's but I don't know what happened to it.
Also despite owning a 290x I have 0 interest in downsampling.

See this:

Its worse than that, cards that are higher than an R9 285 can't use VSR officially. You need certain revisions of cards because reasons, despite the fact that with modified drivers - you can have VSR working just fine on a lot of cards (i have it on my R9 280x).

I can downsample just fine with Gedosato (unfortunately it's not built for DX11 games at the moment). AMD is just being fucking assholes, I just remembered this is just like when Nvidia refused to enable DSR on older cards when they first came out with it, although eventually they did it. Hmm, so I guess Nvidia does have a history of screwing over owners of older cards. :p

aravuus

I wonder if I could do a stable-ish 60fps with a GTX970 if I had HBAO+ on and everything but foliage visibility and shadows on ultra.

Whatever, the game looks great on high and even medium settings too if I have to drop some that low, just gotta have that HBAO+ and 60fps.

Kaze2212

My 780 cant handle it very well obviously. :( But i will try it tonight and decide tomorrow. Sadly i already pre-ordered this on steam.

This is all Ultra settings with nvidia enhanced effects and stuff.

Your 780 will outperform either console version easily. After reading through the guide it seems like high is the go to setting for most options.

No way your 780 won't be able to perform better than the PS4 at equivalent settings. (If you can't even push more.)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The 280x came out before it and is just a modified 7970 ghz edition, despite it actually being faster than a 285 and having 1gb more ram - it isn't officially VSR supported.

You can get around it though, with the below drivers i have VSR on my R9 280x.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399099

Any complications from using those modified drivers? I trust Guru3D obviously, but do you have to wait longer than usual for the 280x modded drivers to come out? :)

Thanks for the link though.

Gaz_RB

Holy shit I can't start my computer. Literally the day The Witcher 3 comes out, my computer decides to kill itself.

UnrealEck

How many times do you need to be told? Or are you deliberately ignoring people?
The settings used are above those of the PS4 version.

Top Bottom