• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

UnrealEck

Thanks man. I've only run the Heaven benchmark for about 30 minutes, so no real world testing. I'll see how it runs in Witcher 3.

Oddly enough after the new driver I ran MSI afterburner again with my presaved profile and it kept putting my GPU clock and men clock to its absolute maximum. Instantly killed my desktop and had to rush to reboot the PC. Hope it didn't cause damage.

Damage will usually come from overdoing it with voltage, which you can't do without modifying your card.

Anyway, Heaven benchmark is one of the best for testing overclocks. It crashes at even a hint of instability.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
New build. 1080p Benchmark:

KNUlPRE.png

41fps with a 970, eww. Looks like I'll need to tweak some settings to maintain 60fps all the time.

Genio88

So I over clocked my 970 to 1528 GPU clock and 3903 men clock. Is this anywhere close to a stock 980? Want to know what performance range I'd be in for this game.

That's a pretty huge overclock, i think you should be pretty close to a stock 980, you are on water cooling right?

That's a pretty huge overclock, i think you should be pretty close to a stock 980, you are on water cooling right?

I'm not, no. My temp never goes above 61 degrees C during the heaven benchmark. I'm not even going to touch my voltage either, too new to risk it.

Skyzard

Banned
41fps with a 970, eww. Looks like I'll need to tweak some settings to maintain 60fps all the time.

That graph just looks wrong...I mean hairworks is off too and 1080p... :S Maybe they made the shadow/vegetation distance sliders crazy long or something.

Genio88

I'm not, no. My temp never goes above 61 degrees C during the heaven benchmark. I'm not even going to touch my voltage either, too new to risk it.
Have you tested this overclock on heavy games like Crysis 3 for at least a hour? Also 980/970 boost higher on benchmarks while are lower in games

Same, may just have to disable hairworks. As long as I don't see it in the game I won't know what I'm missing :p

Need to avoid any pictures before I end up splurging and impulse buying a second 970.

Gbraga

Looks like there's going to be a lot of people who want to maintain 60fps cranking shadows and foliage distance to medium.

I'll go as far as Low Shadows easily, they still look great. Foliage distance makes a bigger difference but since I'm only on a 680, it'll probably be medium at best.

So these benchmarks prove the game is going to look much better than the console version? Because I seen the ps4 version in action and it wasn't impressive at all.

They prove it's much more demanding. How good it looks is subjective.

After all, I'm one of the weird guys who were never that impressed by Crysis 3, and would rank downsampled Mirror's Edge over it any day.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
That graph just looks wrong...I mean hair works is off too and it's what 1080p ? :S

Does seem a bit iffy, the frame rate is lower than the Dragon Age benchmarks and honestly DA looks better graphically.

Have you test this overclock on heavy games like Crysis 3 for at least a hour? Also 980/970 boost higher on benchmarks while are lower in games

No, I don't own crysis 3 sadly. I really do need to test it in a real game versus just Heaven. My clock speed is just with Heaven so I guess I'm just starting out. I also read that the benchmark barely uses any CPU and during a game that does it increases the heat overall, so I need to keep an eye on temp too during actual gaming.

I'll go as far as Low Shadows easily, they still look great. Foliage distance makes a bigger difference but since I'm only on a 680, it'll probably be medium at best.

I think the shadows sweet spot is high, personally - gets rid of any blockiness and mimics Ultra but is just a little less precise.

Low doesn't look at all bad, though. Just maybe a tad blocky for my liking from Andy's comparison pics

Hopefully someone quickly figures out what settings in the "ultra" preset are killing Kepler performance so much.

There has to be a reason other than just Nvidia scumbaggery, doesn't there?
I'm still guessing it's just lolupgrade bullshit, but come on!

That's so subtle that I wonder why they even bothered.
Just like in photography, it helps to seperate and focus attention onto foreground objects like Geralt and provides a depth cue.
Well, as long as you don't also use sharpening, it ruins the effect in the game as well as the real world.

I like it. Most of the other DoF settings I've seen in games are way too strong in my opinion.

Denton

Just ordered 970 from ZOTAC.
Hopefully it will be fine and overclockable to at least 1450mhz or so.

I want that nice 60fps, hairworks be damned.

I want hairworks too but I am not going to pay $1500 for it. Maybe in a few years.

H4r4kiri

Got a 290 and i5 at stock. Probably gonna lock it to 30 fps with everything on Ultra.

I got a question though ?

I only have a 1080p monitor. Would it still look better, when I put the game on 1440p ?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
In the Nvidia guide, the grass generation efficency costs more performance at 9600 but looks worse than 2400?

Yes. The issue is that it generates so much grass that it overwrites the other types of foliage, so rather than a variety of lush looking foliage, you just get a shit load of grass.

Gbraga

I wonder if the patch upped every setting or just ultra, though. If every setting was upgraded, then maybe Medium is the new High, and if it was just Ultra, then the performance boost from Ultra to High will be quite massive.

AU Tiger

So Andy, what are the odds that an overclocked 980 and 4770k can maintain a locked 30fps with everything at Ultra +tweaks you showed?

I played through witcher 2 on a pair of GTX 470's and ran it at mostly everything all the way up and locked at 30 and it wasn't bad. Seems like the way combat flows in the witcher games, it's not nearly as twitchy and sensitve to frame rate the way arkham games, DMC and other fast paced action oriented 3rd person combat games run.

I think its just this game to be honest. A 980 can maintain 60fps at 1080p in both GTAV and Dragon Age Inquisition no problem. Hell, even a 970 can do that with both games. Obviously all games are different, but both GTAV and Dragon Age Inquisition are about as good looking as the Witcher and seemingly run better.

Eh... I think the Witcher looks significantly better than either of those games. And GTA V doesn't run at a locked 60fps with everything maxed @1080p on a 980 either. Really, any new games that really push the envelope will challenge that 60fps/1080P goal. Ryse, Assassin's Creed Unity, Project CARS, The Witcher 3, etc... I'm sure Arkham Knight won't buck that trend.

I just remember being in disbelief at the amount of people saying it was "insane", "stupid", "useless", or a "complete waste of money" to get a Titan X for anything under 1440P.

Branson

Eh... I think the Witcher looks significantly better than either of those games. And GTA V doesn't run at a locked 60fps with everything maxed @1080p on a 980 either. Really, any new games that really push the envelope will challenge that 60fps/1080P goal. Ryse, Assassin's Creed Unity, Project CARS, The Witcher 3, etc... I'm sure Arkham Knight won't buck that trend.

I just remember being in disbelief at the amount of people saying it was "insane", "stupid", "useless", or a "complete waste of money" to get a Titan X for anything under 1440P.
It's still insane to pay $1000 for a video card mainly.

Gbraga

Well, they were wrong, but I think their point still somewhat stands. If you get a Titan X, you'll probably get a lot more out of it playing less demanding games at stupidly high resolutions and/or framerates than playing more demanding games on Ultra.

The differences between High and Ultra just aren't big enough to justify buying such an expensive card only for that reason, imo. It's better to just play at lower settings and then revisit it later when mid range cards can eat this game for breakfest.

I wouldn't call it "stupid" or "a complete waste of money", though, I'm not really into judging other people's purchases, if they want a Titan X to play at 1080p, then I hope they're happy with their purchase.

ekim

What am I looking at here? Average fps?

No way. Is the game THAT demanding?

It's everything on Ultra. Foliage distance draw on Ultra consumes a lot of FPS according to the Nvidia guide.

On the other hand: Everything on Ultra + Hairworks is above 30FPS for a single 970. That's good :)

ekim

untitledzpuwb.png

(1080p, Everything on Ultra, ingame AA)

The lines with blue background which say "Hairworks an" are with Hairworks enabled. The grey ones are without Hairworks

(note that their benchmark scene only has Geralt and his Horse and no other enemies/chars with Fur/hair)

Gbraga

untitledzpuwb.png

(1080p, Everything on Ultra, ingame AA)

The lines with blue background which say "Hairworks an" are with Hairworks enabled. The grey ones are without Hairworks

Tone down a couple of very demanding settings and a 960 might run at locked 30 with mostly Ultra Settings. Sounds quite good to me.

Gumbie

Really glad they included a 30 FPS lock in the options. I wish more PC developers put this in their games.

Wag

Holy shit. I have an 3 old SLI Titans running @ 4k/60Hz, i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz. I guess I'm going to have to lower the settings quite a bit to get a good framerate.

Time to upgrade I guess. When's the 390x/980Ti coming out?

JackHerer

My new rig has two Titan X and a 5960x (4.2 GHz). I'm hoping I get 70-80 fps with Ulta + tweaks and Nvidia proprietary stuff on. This might be a little optimistic though.

It's everything on Ultra. Foliage distance draw on Ultra consumes a lot of FPS according to the Nvidia guide.

On the other hand: Everything on Ultra + Hairworks is above 30FPS for a single 970. That's good :)

Music to my ears. Was assuming hairworks would tank my perf to unplayable levels on a 970. Gimme dat horse hair.

For you maybe but Im screwed

rip gtx680

Will....will it look/run better on ps4? Which wouldnt make sense

Top Bottom