• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

hlhbk

I can turn everything up to ultra except hairworks and have >40 FPS at all times, *maybe* some very small dips into the 30s.

Turn on hairworks, and the FPS never goes above 28. Wow.
I knew it was a feature for super systems, but I wasn't expecting this.

(970, 2500k, both heavily overclocked, running at 1440p)

It looks amazing but I just can't justify losing 30 fps for hair.

swiftpolar

Neo Member
Anyone facing this weird issue?

Using a 4K monitor but wanted to run the game in 1440p. Set full screen but the game remains at 1440p with black borders around, meaning the game isn't stretched to fill the entire monitor.

Using a R9 290.

JackHerer

Two Titan Xs are getting me 60 fps (70 in some areas) @1440p with Ultra + some tweaks without Hairworks. Hairworks gives me closer to 45 fps with horrible stutter. I'm using a gsync monitor and still the stutter it causes makes it close to unplayable. It sure looks nice but the performance hit is a joke.

Screenshots only I guess.

bodine1231

i7 2600k 3.4Ghz
1 Titan X
16GB RAM (no page file)
installed to SSD

If I leave everything on ultra but antialiasing and hairworks, I get a steady 60 FPS at 1440p. Turning hairworks on drops me to ~45 FPS which isn't necessarily a problem with a G-Sync monitor but it also seems to introduce a serious stutter that comes and goes as I play. It's too annoying so I'm just leaving hairworks off.

No crashes so far and I've only noticed one or two crazy animation glitches.

What's your frames with foliage distance at high and hair works on? I'm getting my Titan X tomorrow so I'm curious.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I've got to say: 1440p does wonders in this game with all the vegetation, it looks noticeably beter than 1080p. It is more demanding though. Considering 1440p/30fps locked over 1080p/60fps unlocked.

I'm debating this as well. I'm not sure if my 970 is going to be able to handle hairworks without some drastic cutbacks elsewhere, and I'd rather have a locked 30 than a variable 30-60. Also, if I decided to settle on 30 fps I could just go for broke on all the other settings. I'm checking out Nvidia's tweak guide, and the improvements you can make to shadows are very tempting. This shot in particular looks great, and the impact isn't bad.

epmode

Two Titan Xs are getting me 60 fps @1440p with Ultra + some tweaks without Hairworks. Hairworks gives me closer to 45 fps with horrible stutter. I'm using a gsync monitor and still the stutter it causes makes it close to unplayable. It sure looks nice but the performance hit is a joke.

Are you sure you're getting good SLI results? I have virtually identical performance with only one Titan X: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164395862&postcount=1898

edit:

What's your frames with foliage distance at high and hair works on? I'm getting my Titan X tomorrow so I'm curious.

I just tested for a minute: about 50 FPS running around in a forest somewhere. I didn't see that crazy stutter return but it took a while to show up in the first place.

edit edit: It's actually a very similar framerate to all-ultra-hairworks-off. I thought I was getting 60 in this area but FRAPS confirms around 50 with both configs. G-Sync is nice like that.

Using a 4K monitor but wanted to run the game in 1440p. Set full screen but the game remains at 1440p with black borders around, meaning the game isn't stretched to fill the entire monitor.

Using a R9 290.

This is probably your monitor, not anything on the video card or software. Check the monitor menu for scaling options. You *may* be able to force the upscale in the AMD drivers, but I haven't had an AMD card for a while so I'm not sure.

magereaper

Neo Member
Okay, I don't know if anyone else posted already, but, this is really weird.

If I alt+tab on the main menu, the secondary GPU usage goes to the roof.

My settings are on ultra.

My rig is i7@3.5Ghz, 8GbRAM, 2xGTX970

Anyone else noticed this?

http://imgur.com/fbNpn8L

Bottom graphic is usage, top is temperature. When I'm on the main menu, everything is below 20%, when I'm alt+tab'd, 90%.

If your experiencing choppy cutscenes (fmv) edit these settings and it should fix it (did for me).

visuals.ini

[Visuals]
Gamma=1
MovieFramerate=30.0
MovieUbersampling=true

Change it to 60.0 and false.

All i see is this
[Visuals]
InventoryBgColorScaleB=0.036
InventoryFixedLuminance=0.25
InventoryBgColorScaleG=0.034
MovieFramerate=60.0
GammaValue=1.36
InventoryBgColorScaleR=0.02

no movieubersampling

tuxfool

Banned
As a matter of curiosity, do people with SLi or CFX setups have temporal AA working?

Last I heard most temporal solutions tend to only work on single GPU setups on account of AFR.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
GTX 780
Win 8.1 64 Bit
i5 3570k @ 4.4
8 GB Ram

Game was running fine when I played earlier tonight for like 3ish hours, hop back on 30 min ago and it's crashing 2 min after loading in. Only thing that changed was that I hopped into the game at 144hz instead of 60hz, but now even when I change back to 60hz I still crash 2 min in. Don't know wtf happened.

JackHerer

Are you sure you're getting good SLI results? I have virtually identical performance with only one Titan X: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164395862&postcount=1898

edit:

I just tested for a minute: about 50 FPS running around in a forest somewhere. I didn't see that crazy stutter return but it took a while to show up in the first place.

SLI was somehow automatically turned off when I installed the new drivers :facepalm:

Will report back.

thuway

Thinking of picking this up but very little time to play anything. The benchmark alone should be fun. I run a 2500k with a 280X. Question to you guys- how big of a difference is there between High and Ultra? It looks like the 280X could handle high quite well.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, on my PC i'm getting surprisingly very smooth performance (around 42-44 FPS average with minor deeps to 37-38 from 42-44 and 55-60 in some areas) with these settings:

900p, VSync on, NVIDIA stuff is turned off, HBAO+, textures and water quality set on Ultra the rest of the settings set on High, in the postprocessing section I have turned off blur and sharpening. The game looks amazing on these settings even in 900p and it uses only ~1200 GB of VRAM which to be honest is kinda unexpected.

GTA V for example is running a little bit faster in 900p with 95% max settings - average 50-55 FPS with minor deeps to 40-45.

My specs:

FX 8350 4 GHz
8 GB RAM DDR3 1333
Single HD 7950 OC to 880 MHz core frequency

I think that the game will be running even better on Windows 10 and with new AMD driver which will be released this week.

I pumped everything up and locked it to 30 with vysnc as I found the slight occasional hitching from frame drops with 60FPS to be a bit distracting, luckily when it is locked to 30 it stays there.

Settings:
Ultra, HBAO+, Hairworks @ 1080P

Mind you this is with my system:

Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
GTX980 4GB
4GB system ram(Gskill Ripjaws X 1600 DDR3)
Western Digital Caviar Blue hard drive.

So far I am super impressed with this visually, and with it locked at a steady 30 I'm perfectly happy. I don't need 60FPS for every game, and honestly I really only need 60FPS for competitive shooters or high action games like Max Payne 3 or similar.

That said adventure games/RPGs(Batman and Witcher respectively) I've found 30FPS with all the bells and whistles on to be perfectly fine as long as it is locked in with no dips.

As for the actual game, I love it. Masterpiece in the making and I'm still in
White Orchard and have been for like six or seven hours.

I look forward to seeing how much Batman will challenge my GPU in comparison to this game.

both of these games are only getting played until MGSV comes out. Then I am gone into the MGSV black hole.

Overall, I think CDPR did a fantastic job with this technically and the art and visual design is just mind boggling to me. Combat is good, quest writing is exquisite.

*claps* well done, CDPR it was worth the wait.

Jin

For those of you getting stutter or bad performance are you running on borderless window mode? I notice when I launch the game a second time it automatically switch to that and it was stuttering. After I realize it was in borderless mode I switch to full screen and it was fine.

nacolucas

Neo Member
Am I the only one that doesn't like how Geralt looks like with hairworks? The animals and creatures look great... But Geralt just looks like he has noodles instead of hair :/
Also, game is running great, buttery smooth 60fps at all times (except in some cut scenes?)

JackHerer

SLI was somehow automatically turned off when I installed the new drivers :facepalm:

Will report back.

Ok so with SLI on the 2x Titan X are giving me 60-70 fps w/ Hairworks and tweaks at 1440p. I still have a slight stutter with hairworks but it is much better with the second Titan X. Without Hairworks I'm getting 70-90 fps.

I might leave hairworks off anyway and just turn it on when I am fighting monsters that have it applied. This is all just running around the first area mind so things could change depending on if other areas are more demanding. Either way, the game looks incredible. Even with all the talk about downgrades you can't deny that it looks pretty impressive still.

GavinUK86

Am I the only one that doesn't like how Geralt looks like with hairworks? The animals and creatures look great... But Geralt just looks like he has noodles instead of hair :/
Also, game is running great, buttery smooth 60fps at all times (except in some cut scenes?)
And now I want noodles.

Yeah I don't see it either? Just turning it up to 60 I don't see everything fixed?

Found it ;p

[Visuals]
Gamma=1
MovieFramerate=30.0
MovieUbersampling=true

Its in the actually folder

The Witcher 3 to Config to Base and then visuals is the last one at the bottom

edit

Though it still hasn't help weird...

jett

D-Member
Where's the in-game gamma option? Maybe I'm too tired at the moment but I'm unable to find it again, lol.

I'm experiencing 17ms frame times at 59fps with both driver and in-game vsync. I'd say it's bearable during gameplay, but pre-rendered movies capped at 28fps are a judder fest. I'm thinking using an HDMI cable --> A/V receiver --> TV might be part of the problem.

Yeah, I'm getting that and I've seen a couple people before mention it

I can't stand this, maynes. :(

nictron

4690k, 970, 16gb ram, all stock

Most settings Ultra, few high, AF forced x16 through Nvidia control panel, hair works off.

1080p, 45-60 fps. Normally high 50's.

Stupid gorgeous game.

bbd23

was perfectly fine but now im getting freezes and task manager doesnt even work. my cursor disappears and only way to fix it is to restart? what the hell.

edit; oh god im such a pc noob

fixed it! so i dont need to restart but still...these freezes are annoying and happens in the menus

Using a R9 290.

Are you using DPI scaling? If so, right click the Witcher3 exe and disable scaling for the game under compatibility.

does anyone know how to turn off the message in the bottom left that comes up every time you press anything on your keyboard?

"keyboard and mouse detected"

like here <this is first 15 min of the game, shouldn't be too spoilery>:

sd1bGcR.jpg

Took the game out for a spin and my poor 970 couldn't handle it at 4K. I got barely 30 fps on the lowest settings, but it didn't feel smooth enough. I finally settled on 1440p with AA on and most settings high/ultra. No chance for Hairworks, just isn't worth the hit in performance unless going to 1080p. HBAO+ on the other hand is worth it. I'm getting around 40-60 fps with these settings and the gameplay seems smooth enough.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
does anyone know how to turn off the message in the bottom left that comes up every time you press anything on your keyboard?

"keyboard and mouse detected"

like here <this is first 15 min of the game, shouldn't be too spoilery>:

sd1bGcR.jpg
Unplug your controller. If you have one

Well I just played for a good 4+ hours with everything turned on except for hairworks, didn't have any crashes. I'm at 1440p on a 980 and an i7-2600k @ 4.4, 8gb's ram. Running between 35-45fps at all times.

Damaniel

Banned
Looks like my performance problem was the stupid hair effects. If I turn those off then I can run the game on High with Ultra textures (~30fps, slightly higher most of the time) just fine on my 680. Looks wonderful that way.

BatNIC

Neo Member
I'm debating this as well. I'm not sure if my 970 is going to be able to handle hairworks without some drastic cutbacks elsewhere, and I'd rather have a locked 30 than a variable 30-60. Also, if I decided to settle on 30 fps I could just go for broke on all the other settings. I'm checking out Nvidia's tweak guide, and the improvements you can make to shadows are very tempting. This shot in particular looks great, and the impact isn't bad.

I'll try that tweak once i'm home. I have a 980 with slight OC and with with everthing on ultra (except foliage distance and shadows) and hairworks im getting ~40fps on 1440p.

970 G1 Overclocked 10%
2500K@4,0
16GB HyperX
Installed on SSD

Got solid 60fps on Ultra without Hairworks and very punctual drops. If I activate Hairworks it goes below 30. Not gonna use it.

I might get the CPU at 4,5 to see if those eventual drops go away, but so far I'm very satisfied.

Dsyndrome

Anyone figure out how to change the FPS for cutscenes like the opening movie? Tried changing the MovieFramerate in visuals.ini to 60.0 but that didn't do anything.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Downgrade or not, I'm LOVING this game right now! Probably the best looking open world game this gen and certainly one of the most fun I've played in a while!

My only complaint (as I'm in 1080p on two Superclocked Titan Xs) is the stuttering. I average about 90fps, but it stutters like crazy in some instances. Will definitely be looking out for a patch. In the mean time, some screens:

17660253788_c831600126_h.jpg

17848054065_3932260107_h.jpg

17227668963_06a82dd399_h.jpg

red731

Tried the game some in the morning. Just for like 20mins to see how my specs fare. Must tweak a bit when I get home.

Question - does the game have PS4 icons on PC when DS4 is plugged in?

have had 2 crashes in 4 hours. once in the tutorial, once while in the final stages of a quest.

pc is almost a year old now and ive never really experienced crashes in a game, so hopefully it doesnt keep up or get more frequent.

performance is about what i expected.

gtx 780
16 gigs ram

1080p

CA, DOF, motion blur are off.
hairworks off
SSAO
textures on ultra.
everything else on high
mostly 60 with some drops to the low 50s.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Phenoms run this nicely at 30? That means mg FX 6300 can do it after all ;-;. And that means I might as well enable the GPU heavy hitters for muh 280X if I'm aiming for 30 already

Top Bottom