• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Sijil

What kind of performance am I looking at with a 770 4GB coupled with 16GB RAM and an i7 4790 non k? I'm willing to concede to 30 FPS.

cripterion

Game is fucking gorgeous, running so smoothly maxed at 1080P with SLI 970. I'm impressed.

Viveks must be enjoying that 4K, must be virtual ecstasy playing the game at that resolution.

Kvik

SLI Titan X, yes. But even I couldn't handle 4k at 60 without insane drops. Stepped down to 1440p70+ and maxed the hell out of every setting and INI tweak. Will post details soon.

Time for that 3rd Titan X, dude. :p

Anyway, 1440p/60 seems like a good tradeoff for my 2x 980 SLI. I'm planning to get the Acer XB270HU next month so the fps dips won't hurt as much. :-\

People who have looked through the inis, is there a way to force certain HUD positions?

This is what I'm limited to at 2560x1080:
9E264874FF73955228AF22FBA4836199D8491593

Waxwing

My 780 is running 1080 50-60 fps on mostly high settings (a couple ultra, a couple medium) with a lot of post-processing turned on. Game is amazing.

Pro

i7 2600K and 7970 3GB slightly OC'd and getting consistent 31-35 FPS on Ultra with Hair Effects turned off. I'm happy.

knitoe

Downgrade or not, I'm LOVING this game right now! Probably the best looking open world game this gen and certainly one of the most fun I've played in a while!

My only complaint (as I'm in 1080p on two Superclocked Titan Xs) is the stuttering. I average about 90fps, but it stutters like crazy in some instances. Will definitely be looking out for a patch. In the mean time, some screens:
SLI Titan X and why only 1080p. Time for a new monitor, at least 1440p.

antonz

Everything Ultra with HBAO+ Except foliage render distance set to high and Hairworks off and I generally have 50-60FPS at 1080P

4GB 290
16GB Ram

Hairworks is a killer though. Turn it on and I drop to 20-30 fps with the settings above. If AMD can optimize a bit and I could get a steady 30 fps with Hairworks on id go for it. Have also held off on unlocking my 290 to 290X since I have one of the unlockable cards. I am sure the overall boost plus the unlock boost can help as well

Andy and other 970 users, I have the following system:

I7 5820K@4.3GHZ
GTX 970 G1 SLI
16GB DDR4@2100MHZ
Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro
Driver:352.86

My question is can I enable most of the settings and have Hair Works on?(Ultra?) Maybe throw in a couple of tweaks?

60FPS is not doable even without tweaks I assume right?

How about 30? Can I enable a few tweaks without going over my memory budget for the GTX 970?

Thanks.

Vintage

Played a bit in the starting village.

i5 3570k
660ti
8GB

Can't tell the exact framerate, but it's more than playable on high-medium settings. Great job by CDPR :)

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
SLI Titan X and why only 1080p. Time for a new monitor, at least 1440p.

Eh, I like my solid 120fps with nearly anything I tackle. Until I can reach that, and in 4K, at the very least, I'm happy with 1080p. Plus, the Titan Xs are for much more than gaming. Game Design is my hobby and occupation.

RC0101

SLI 970's playing at 3440x1440 everything ultra minus hairworks and getting 60fps. This game looks so good! Did experience a few crashes but didn't stop me from putting in 3 hours strait!

sgs2008

Time for that 3rd Titan X, dude. :p

Anyway, 1440p/60 seems like a good tradeoff for my 2x 980 SLI. I'm planning to get the Acer XB270HU next month so the fps dips won't hurt as much. :-\

You wont regret it I have that monitor with my dual titan x's its gaming bliss

290x and a 4770k doing fine for me. 1080p everything turned on but fur. 60s most of the time with drops tot he 40s when lots of stuff is going on.

knitoe

Andy and other 970 users, I have the following system:

I7 5820K@4.3GHZ
GTX 970 G1 SLI
16GB DDR4@2100MHZ
Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro
Driver:352.86

My question is can I enable most of the settings and have Hair Works on?(Ultra?) Maybe throw in a couple of tweaks?

60FPS is not doable even without tweaks I assume right?

How about 30? Can I enable a few tweaks without going over my memory budget for the GTX 970?

Thanks.
You probably need some tweaking to enable hairworks and 60fps. Should be max or close to at 30fps.

And, the game doesn't use much vram. Even, 4K max is only around around 3.9GB.

Eh, I like my solid 120fps with nearly anything I tackle. Until I can reach that, and in 4K, at the very least, I'm happy with 1080p. Plus, the Titan Xs are for much more than gaming. Game Design is my hobby and occupation.

It just strange for someone spending $2000 on video cards for just 1080p, but OK.

Guys if I lock to 30fps, and run at 1080p, what settings will I be looking at on a 780ti? Can I run Ultra without hairworks? Or maybe even with it if its at only a locked 30fps?

Stiler

So, saw someone earlier in this thread mentioned locking @ 30fps and having it feel "smooth" and this worked for me too.

I was running the game at an avg of 48-50 fps with shadows at high/foliage density/distance at high and hairworks off.

However the game felt "stuttery" at this, moving around I'd notice hitching here and there when panning around.

However when I locked the game to 30 fps it felt smooth, no more stuttery feeling to move around.

Also doing this I was able to turn hairworks on fully, crank foliage to high and still run at a solid 30fps without the stuttery feeling when I play.

Denton

So for me it runs pretty nicely.
2500K@4ghz
8GB RAM
280X
SSD

Ultra, only hairworks off, foliage distance high, shadows high.
Postprocess everything enabled incl. HBAO+

40+fps no matter what so far, in the White Orchard.

Of course, I want 60+, which is why I ordered 970 yesterday.

Still, it is already well playable.

No bugs or crashes or anything of the sort so far.

sgs2008

Two Titan Xs are getting me 60 fps (70 in some areas) @1440p with Ultra + some tweaks without Hairworks. Hairworks gives me closer to 45 fps with horrible stutter. I'm using a gsync monitor and still the stutter it causes makes it close to unplayable. It sure looks nice but the performance hit is a joke.

Screenshots only I guess.

That doesn't seem right I have everything turned up including hairworks and Im getting 70-80 fps at 1440p Sure sli is enabled ?maybe you forgot to re-eneable after updating drivers ?

BatNIC

Neo Member
Guys if I lock to 30fps, and run at 1080p, what settings will I be looking at on a 780ti? Can I run Ultra without hairworks? Or maybe even with it if its at only a locked 30fps?

I think you should be fine at 1080p without hairworks. In case it doesn't work you can turn down foliage distance and shadows.

Nokterian

Downgrade or not, I'm LOVING this game right now! Probably the best looking open world game this gen and certainly one of the most fun I've played in a while!

My only complaint (as I'm in 1080p on two Superclocked Titan Xs) is the stuttering. I average about 90fps, but it stutters like crazy in some instances. Will definitely be looking out for a patch. In the mean time, some screens:

17660253788_c831600126_h.jpg

17848054065_3932260107_h.jpg

17227668963_06a82dd399_h.jpg

Looks beautiful! You should go in to options and put framerate on unlimited when i started it was stuck on 30fps. Also turn off vsync and turn on variable frame rate on the desktop and play borderless windowed that fixed it for me no more stuttering.

ss_lemonade

I just got the horse and a little dose of outdoor'ness and was able to sort of lock it at 30fps with full on hairworks, hbao+ and a mix of ultra, high (grass, shadows) and medium I believe for foliage visibility on a non ti 780

mrlion

So for me it runs pretty nicely.
2500K@4ghz
8GB RAM
280X
SSD

Ultra, only hairworks off, foliage distance high, shadows high.
Postprocess everything enabled incl. HBAO+

40+fps no matter what so far, in the White Orchard.

Of course, I want 60+, which is why I ordered 970 yesterday.

Still, it is already well playable.

No bugs or crashes or anything of the sort so far.

970 won't get you 60 fps, I have it set on high and get around 45-60 fps. It looks fantastic mind you...but to get 60 fps you'll need at least a GTX 980

viveks86

That doesn't seem right I have everything turned up including hairworks and Im getting 70-80 fps at 1440p Sure sli is enabled ?maybe you forgot to re-eneable after updating drivers ?

Same here. It's constantly 70-80 even after some crazy amount of INI tweaks because I've over clocked quite a bit. Those numbers don't make sense.

dakun

extremely happy with how well this game performs on my system @1080p

I7 3770K @ Stock
MSI 970GTX @ +150/+200
16GB RAM
Win 7

i get a solid 60fps on all indoor and smaller scale places and 50+fps in the open world with very few dips to 45+
All on the highest settings except for no HBAO+, no Hairworks and i turned of Vignettes, Motion Blur and Chromatic Abbreviation by choice.
Tried Hairworks just for Geralt but the hit on FPS just wasn't worth it.

mdzapeer

So I was tinkering with settings before and I just could not get a nice solid 60 FPS on my GTX 670 :(

I have Hairworks turned off, I have most things set to Medium with a few things at Low. I had HBAO+ on because it looks great but even turning that off only saved a frame or two a second. I was getting at best 45FPS if most stuff was turned off, and 38/39 when HBAO was on.

What gives? I have the new NVIDIA drivers and all that. I hoped I'd get 1080p60 on Medium.

Same boat as you,have the same card 670 factory OC, just cant hit 60 unless dropping resolution.

You probably need some tweaking to enable hairworks and 60fps. Should be max or close to at 30fps.

And, the game doesn't use much vram. Even, 4K max is only around around 3.9GB..

Thanks, alleviates some of my fears I really appreciate it as I'll be playing 1440P downscaled to 1080P.

tauke

Ok I might be one of the anomaly in this thread.

Anyone can suggest to me what to do next as the game keep CTD without any error message right after the intro video when starting a New Game? I tried all the presets and from windowed, borderless to fullscreen. Nope game keep CTD after the new game intro video.

I already revert the driver and do a clean instillation for the latest Witcher 3 driver. Revert both my CPU and GPU to stock speed and still doesn't help.

Other games runs fine except for this very game.

Specs:
Intel i7 4770K (OC to 4.4GHz but temporarily revert to 3.5GHz stock speed)
Nvidia GTX 780 3GB VRAM (currently at stock speed too)
32GB of RAM
7200RPM HDD
Windows 7

The only thing I haven't try is to redownload the game. Already did the verify game through GOG Galaxy and still nope.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I got the GOG version. I installed it. Download the "Day-one patch" and the two DLCs. Try to start the game... it doesn't even boot up before it crashes. FML.

Welp, I guess I'll be finishing TW2 before even trying to see how TW3 runs on my system.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Looks beautiful! You should go in to options and put framerate on unlimited when i started it was stuck on 30fps. Also turn off vsync and turn on variable frame rate on the desktop and play borderless windowed that fixed it for me no more stuttering.

I have VSYNC turned on in the Control Panel and Unlimited Framerate in the options. However, I will give borderless window a go!

AJLma

Runs at a smooth 1440p/60+ on an overclocked Titan X + 5820k. Was getting a ton of stuttering in game and in cutscenes before I upgraded my nVidia drive, that fixed it.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Ok I might be one of the anomaly in this thread.

Anyone can suggest to me what to do next as the game keep CTD without any error message right after the intro video when starting a New Game? I tried all the presets and from windowed, borderless to fullscreen. Nope game keep CTD after the new game intro video.

I already revert the driver and do a clean instillation for the latest Witcher 3 driver. Revert both my CPU and GPU to stock speed and still doesn't help.

Other games runs fine except for this very game.

Specs:
Intel i7 4770K (OC to 4.4GHz but temporarily revert to 3.5GHz stock speed)
Nvidia GTX 780 3GB VRAM (currently at stock speed too)
32GB of RAM
7200RPM HDD
Windows 7

The only thing I haven't try is to redownload the game. Already did the verify game through GOG Galaxy and still nope.

I'd love to help, but this is not a problem that i've seen yet nor heard of a workaround for. I also have the GOG version.

Genio88

Guys what about the crash? Is the game still crashing or you somehow solved that problem? Unfortunayely i won't be able to play the game until thia night(i'm in europe)

Top Bottom