• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 sold 4 million copies in the first 2 weeks!

bombshell

My guess on sales:

PC - 1.5m
XboxOne - 1.3m
PS4 - 1.2m

jenniferlawrenceokaythumbup.gif

My guess on sales:

PC - 1.5m
XboxOne - 1.3m
PS4 - 1.2m

Do you really think it sold better on XboxOne than on PS4?
There are more PS4 than Xboxs out there. And especially in Europe where the series is stronger.
The ps4 version is selling better than the Xbox in both amazon.com and amazon.co.uk.

I would guess

PC - 1.1m
Xbox One - 1.1m
PS4 - 1.8m

JustinBB7

Is that with the 1.5 million pre-orders included? If not, damn. 100% deserved.

Can't wait for the expansion packs and rest of the free dlc's. Hopefully NG+ and 1 or 2 more story missions.

Majmun

Great! Game deserves all the sales.

And lol at the Xbox One version selling better prediction. The Ps4 version even dominated in the UK. That's one of the main MS territories...
Mainland EU should be a slaughterhause. The Ps4 version is even doing pretty well in Japan.

So...

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This makes me so happy... the best RPG since Mass Effect, hell... it's as good as Mass Effect (which is massive coming from me, Commander Shepard's #1 fan).

Good on you CDPR, you deserve all the sales.

Thank you for this game, it's just...amazing.

Jessmo111

Banned
Im in a fanboy argument, with some buddies.
We are disputing what will sell more in a year.

The witcher 3 or smash brothers Wiiu/3DS
Its 3 platforms versus 2.

Whats gafs opinion? Ill make a poll soon.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'll be happy if a quarter of those sales are on PC. It'll sell for years and years on PC.

Steamspy says 585k steam owners, and there has to be a ton on GOG with the Nvidia codes floating around. Like GTAV, the only way to get a Steam copy is to buy it directly on Steam. All 3rd party sites offering deals had GOG keys.

Acinixys

Steamspy says 585k steam owners, and there has to be a ton on GOG with the Nvidia codes floating around. Like GTAV, the only way to get a Steam copy is to buy it directly on Steam. All 3rd party sites offering deals had GOG keys.

All physical copies are only activatiable on GoG as well

So at least half of all PC copies will be on GoG

jediyoshi

God I hope this pushes Bioware to some fresher designs for their games

The more Witcher3 I played, the more I retroactively disliked DAI

Kamina777

Banned
they did good. Never thought I would ever get into the witcher games for a lot reasons. This one has eaten up so much of my free time.

Decado

Going by their original budget statement they had $25 million spent on advertising by their distributors (presumably had to be paid off first plus some extra) and then $15 million on development (the delay might have kicked this up minorly).

Should be vastly in the black.
Wow. $15m budget? Benefits of developing in their part of the world, I guess.

_machine

Production costs were 120 million PLN, which is roughly $32 million.

"On day 1" - which may also mean all the preorders.

Here's the article I took it from (in Polish, use Google Translate/Chrome)

http://pieniadze.gazeta.pl/pieniadz...Trzyletnie_naklady_na_produkcje_zwrocily.html
Yeah, that sounds much more realistic than $15 million quoted before. It could have been a targeted budget, but certainly way too low for the scope. Still quite impressive though, no doubt about it (comparable games are usually made with at least twice the budget).

EDIT: Yeah, a quick googling reveals that the 15 million was the initial estimated budget in 2013, which obviously didn't count for all the delays.

Wow. $15m budget? Benefits of developing in their part of the world, I guess.
See above, the actual end production costs were near 32 million dollars.

a916

Well deserved, I've been putting so many hours and I'm not even close to the end game... so amazing. I'm glad they were able to push through and sell mainstream numbers even though Witcher 2 was a great game as well.

Did the exact same thing for me where it concerns Skyrim but especially DAI.

This. Playing DA:I is like some type of punishment after playing Witcher 3. Bio ware really need to step their game up imo.

Verger

Banned

QFT for me here. Witcher 3's writing, characters and quests just take such a huge dump on DAI it's really stunning

Even worse when I look back and see all the praise and GOTY awards DAI got.

If Witcher 3 doesn't get the same amount of accolades or more, then something is wrong.

zkorejo

Really glad to know. They deserve every penny.

I hope other developers will follow CDPR's footsteps and atleast try to be as dedicated to their games and their fanbase.

eot

Banned
Nice to see they finally got their first big hit. Looking forward to when I have time to play it.

a916

I guess it takes a well designed game for people to perceive poorly designed ones.

You could make that case for a lot of games going back retroactively.
SONIC

QFT for me here. Witcher 3's writing, characters and quests just take such a huge dump on DAI it's really stunning

Even worse when I look back and see all the praise and GOTY awards DAI got.

If Witcher 3 doesn't get the same amount of accolades or more, then something is wrong.

Competition is way more fierce this year than last. If Witcher came out last year, it would have clobbered all games last year. This year it's facing a few heavyweights, most of which haven't come out yet.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Sounds good. I feel kinda bad that I won't be buying it until all of the content is released (and the game is cheaper by then), but they definitely deserve the monies.

Truer words have not been spoken.

And I wasn't totally crazy about DAI after I finished it but thought it was generally pretty good. But playing The Witcher and CDPR just makes DAI look like a joke in terms of how they implement actual quests in the world and have a semi-open world that actually feels like a living, breathing world, not some MMO level.

To some extent comparing something like Witcher and DA will differ on fundamental levels (controlling only Geralt makes for an easier open world as opposed to a party of characters) but CDPR showed how to have story matter in an open world game.

zkorejo

You could make that case for a lot of games going back retroactively.
SONIC

Competition is way more fierce this year than last. If Witcher came out last year, it would have clobbered all games last year. This year it's facing a few heavyweights, most of which haven't come out yet.

The only heavyweight i can see giving TW3 a fight IMO is MGS V. Even then.... It will be tough to beat TW3.

The game looks amazing, feels amazing, sounds amazing, has a great story with actual decision making and pretty big consequences to those decisions. The game is HUGE with tons of content...... and the best part is, it never feels like its way too much, the game makes the player want to explore and do everything instead of it being an annoyance.

In short... I dont think there will be a game this year as good as TW3. Hell.. I dont think there will be a RPG as good as TW3 in a long time.

Kinthalis

Banned
It's strange in a way. By their own admission, they wouldn't have beeen able to cobble up the required budget for this game without console $$$...

BUT, the Witcher would have never existed in the first place without PC.

It's like the snake eating it's own ass.. or something.

_machine

It's strange in a way. By their own admission, they wouldn't have beeen able to cobble up the required budget for this game without console $$$...

BUT, the Witcher would have never existed in the first place without PC.

It's like the snake eating it's own ass.. or something.
Well it's largely due to the massive increase in scope and production value. Naturally a Witcher 3 was possible just on PC, but it wouldn't have been close in value to what they were able to produce with expected revenue of the consoles.

Etnos

Banned
Awesome, [^.^] Great for CDProjekt ! I want to go back and replay the first one, so many good memories.

I bet Mike Pondsmith is pretty happy right now he hitched his wagon to CDPR.

Let's hope they can take all of this success and turn it into the Cyberpunk game of forever we've always wanted.

Top Bottom