• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 sold 4 million copies in the first 2 weeks!

Durante

That's deserved. Well done!

Going by Steamspy more than 10% on PC. So Geralt really penetrated the console market.
We really have no clue how many are on PC. The only Steam sales for this game are directly from Steam -- GoG, retail, Amazon, NV codes and all other digital sellers only provided GoG keys.

Not saying it didn't sell well on consoles of course, it obviously did.

Sijil

Wish they would release GOG figures, see how it stacks up to Steam especially when every outlet was selling GOG keys except Steam itself.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
That is awesome. Despite the jank in the first two games, The Witcher series has been one of my favorites in gaming. Glad to see CDProjekt doing so well and other people enjoying the series too.

Erevador

No DRM. No DLC schemes. No pre-order exclusive content.

Perception and good will really does matter in the numbers, successes like this force the majors to recognize that.

Shit!

Way more than I've expected.
I thought maybe 2.5 million during the first month.

The Witcher series was never a big blockbuster (sales-wise).
Nice :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So is it already profitable for them?
Going by their original budget statement they had $25 million spent on advertising by their distributors (presumably had to be paid off first plus some extra) and then $15 million on development (the delay might have kicked this up minorly).

Should be vastly in the black.

Great news!! I was afraid how it would perform after popular youtuber Darksydephil shit on the game for boring sidequests and called it a niche game.

Mivey

We really have no clue how many are on PC. The only Steam sales for this game are directly from Steam -- GoG, retail, Amazon, NV codes and all other digital sellers only provided GoG keys.

Not saying it didn't sell well on consoles of course, it obviously did.

Pretty sure gog would account for more sales than steam
I just stated that PC sales make at least more then that. Steamspy is the only thing giving us defintive numbers right now. I have the game on GOG as well actually, and I really hope for CDPR that it sells better there. (nothing against Steam, but these guys deserve 100% of the revenue!)

Hard to believe they made middle market games just 8 years ago.

Mithos

Now use the cash to fix the bugs I've witnessed at a friends house, CTD's ahoy (GoG PC version).

Oh and the game runs damn well even on something as old/low-powered as a 660 (not ti), I might get W3 eventually when bugs ironed out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, going by SteamSpy:

The Witcher: ~2 million
The Witcher 2: ~3 million

Obviously this doesn't account for GoG or sales of the Xbox 360 port, but you get the idea. Steam sales alone for Wild Hunt are at ~500,000 already.

Damn, i was wondering about when we would hear sales figures but this is a great number for them, really impressive.

They deserve it though, while some of the glitches/bugs have been annoying its still an amazing game and deserves lots of success. Still ploughing my way through it but there is just so much to do that who knows when i will be done with it :)

Denton

Funny how when i said here i expect 6 million in first month, people were laughing about its impossibility.

Ho ho ho

Wonderful success, though given the insane quality it should be even higher already.
Congrats CDP.

Lakitu

st5fu
Well deserved! Long may it continue and hopefully it paves the way for more ambitious games this gen and also make other publishers realise quantity over quality sucks, it's always the other way round (even if it's a very long game... don't know when I'll finish it).

Dennis

Banned
Thinking back a few years who thought a PC-centric Euro-RPG would dominate your favorite game in sales?

Jb

Hot damn! Well done, you crazy Polish bastards :D
I'm savoring the game one quest at a time, and it truly was worth the 4 year wait.

lefantome

Great! the game has its problems but it's awesome too!

This is on what I want the next open world to be based. Great structure, great pacing, interesting characters and settings.

Top Bottom