• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 sold 4 million copies in the first 2 weeks!

Now use the cash to fix the bugs I've witnessed at a friends house, CTD's ahoy (GoG PC version).

Give it time, the game is quite GPU heavy so it exposes a lot of people having rather unstable OCs (though... even more so than a program like kombustor...).

eFKac

Yeah, going by SteamSpy:

The Witcher: ~2 million
The Witcher 2: ~3 million

Obviously this doesn't account for GoG or sales of the Xbox 360 port, but you get the idea. Steam sales alone for Wild Hunt are at ~500,000 already.

So most probably over 50% on consoles, that's fantastic to see for a former PC centric franchise :)

Does Poland have a strong game development scene outside of CD Projekt Red? If not Witcher making the big times has got to be a big, positive shake up for things over there.

Going by their original budget statement they had $25 million spent on advertising by their distributors (presumably had to be paid off first plus some extra) and then $15 million on development (the delay might have kicked this up minorly).

Should be vastly in the black.

Just think about that for a moment.

The game costs $15 million to make.
And afterwards, you have to spend nearly twice as much just for the damn marketing/ads.
Shit is cray!

Going by their original budget statement they had $25 million spent on advertising by their distributors (presumably had to be paid off first plus some extra) and then $15 million on development (the delay might have kicked this up minorly).

Excellent.

Going by Steamspy more than 10% on PC. So Geralt really penetrated the console market.

The percentage for each platform will be interesting. If the UK numbers hold true worldwide then you've got to wonder what implications and how publishers and dev teams will read into that considering XB had the Marketing rights.

Glad it's getting the success it deserves, well kinda. I actually do believe it deserves a shit ton more sales but if CDPR is happy with it then that's all that matters. Bring on Cyberpunk!

Does Poland have a strong game development scene outside of CD Projekt Red? If not Witcher making the big times has got to be a big, positive shake up for things over there.

It does, off the top of my mind Techland (who made Dying Light and Call of Juarez series) is Polish.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Ewa Kopacz, the prime minister of Poland, visited CDPR the day Wild Hunt launched to congratulate them.

CFUKy6-WYAExl_F.jpg

Shengar

Going by Steamspy more than 10% on PC. So Geralt really penetrated the console market.
Not really. PC number is much bigger than that since Steam isn't the only place where you can buy and own the game. If you look at Steamspy, Polish is strangely absent from the Geography distribution, which is totally impossible considering The Witcher series gained status as Poland national pride. Traditionally, retail Witcher game released in Poland does not have Steam integration to it, and it still the same case for Witcher 3 where it got GoG Galaxy instead. If the PC retail is big in Eastern Europe and all other part of the world, it, could contribute another 500k into PC sales number.

And afterwards, you have to spend nearly twice as much just for the damn marketing/ads.
Shit is cray!

And to add that $15 million is on the small scale when looking at AAA-quality games. To see what CDPR did with a "small" budget clearly shows the immense talent at that studio.

For comparison, Modern Warfare 2 cost $40-50 million to produce plus an additional $150 million in advertising.

cameron

I hope the devs get decent bonus pay based on sales.

The percentage will be for each platform will be interesting. If the UK numbers hold true worldwide then you've got to wonder what implications and how publishers and dev teams will read into that considering XB had the Marketing rights.
Thats very true, Sony has shown that when they have marketing rights for PS4 they tend to do really well in comparison to XBO so considering that it seems Witcher 3 has sold more on PS4 regardless of marketing rights it does paint a bleak picture for Microsoft.

Of course companies could just think "Hey, either way we will sell loads and get a chuck of change from Microsoft" but if you start to limit your potential reach with the deal it might play into their decision on taking deals from them.

bombshell

Wonder what the platform split is?

Gorgeous game, just wish they could've refined the horse-riding a little. Roach gets stuck a little too often!

In UK the PS4:XB1 split first week was 2:1, even though the console split is not nearly that wide in the country. That does not bode well for the XB1 version compared to the PS4 in rest of EU and RotW.

Maximo

I honestly haven't played anything else but Witcher 3 since it came out, definitely in my top 10 favourite games.

eFKac

There are a lot of studios here, Techland, CI Games, Flying Wild Hog among others.

CDPR is the biggest, and most acclaimed though.

There are a lot of smaller independent studios and new ones forming as well.

Overall I'd say we're one of the strongest players in the region.

Shit is cray!

I actually do believe that marketing budgets that big are a massive waste of resources, there are plenty of games that have had massive success's without a marketing budget double the size of their game development costs. Too much stock is put into marketing aggressively in my opinion.

Ewa Kopacz, the prime minister of Poland, visited CDPR the day Wild Hunt launched to congratulate them.

CFUKy6-WYAExl_F.jpg
Holy shit that must've been mind-blowing for them.

At least it is from an Australian point of view a the propsect of the government giving two shits about supporting the local gaming industry :(

derExperte

Do you have GOG figures which were sold everywhere outside Steam including Nvidia codes? Can't assess PC sales yet.

And going by people I know a surprising amount of them bought the game for/on GOG. Usually I'd say the vast majority of sales happen on Steam but here I'm not so sure.

witness

Wow that's terrific. Great news and well deserved. Should have very long legs as well with word of mouth being great. I can safely say it's one of my favorite games, ever.

Momentary

Banned
I thought EVERY code other than those purchased directly through STEAM were GOG codes. Soooo... where the hell is this console selling 90% bullshit coming from? I mean congrats to the team for getting the sales, but I hate people who push false news.

Gamezone

Gold Member
In what sense? They already have an 800 person RPG studio that went all in on open worlds after Skyrim sold over 20 million copies.

In not having to add useless multiplayer, paid DLC, microtransactions, and DRM for their games to sell well.

Aeana

One of the best games I've ever played. I was fortunate enough to not get hit by any bugs other than, I guess, the EXP bug which didn't really influence my ability to do everything in the game. Super glad the game did well.

CHC

Man so glad this is knocking it out of the park sales wise. 10 million lifetime sales possible maybe?

Top Bottom