• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 sold 4 million copies in the first 2 weeks!

BFIB

I can already tell this is going to be my game of the generation. Going to be incredibly hard to top this.

So bets on EA/Activision digging deep to try and absorb them?

FACE

Banned
Given these sales, they now have the capital to develop it for as long as needed.

See you in 2018!

They recently said this and next year are the year of Geralt. They didn't even start on it yet, so yeah some time away, 2018 the earliest.

ibucxqinmeeccy9spkr.gif

Sijil

I can already tell this is going to be my game of the generation. Going to be incredibly hard to top this.

CD Projekt is a private company from what I've read, so Acti can't buy them unless they were the owners were openly selling. As far as I understand.

Funny thing: In Poland, like week ago console version was nowhere to be seen (more weird fact - whole shipment of Witcher 3 for Xbone was only 1000 copies for Poland( one thousand)). Sold out. Shelves in stores still are full of pc version of Witcher 3 literally everywhere.
PS4 in Poland seems to be pretty huge - same thing was with Blodborne - game was literally sold out Day 1.

CDProjeckt is also a games distributor for their region as well as own their own online store.

Anyone buying them would have to take over these responsibilities as well. Either way I doubt the owners would sell because they're really passionate about making great games and gog.com and witcher 3 will make enough money for them to keep trying and trying without any financial issues.

d9b

Banned
Funny thing: In Poland, like week ago console version was nowhere to be seen (more weird fact - whole shipment of Witcher 3 for Xbone was only 1000 copies for Poland( one thousand)). Sold out. Shelves in stores still are full of pc version of Witcher 3 literally everywhere.
PS4 in Poland seems to be pretty huge - same thing was with Blodborne - game was literally sold out Day 1.

Last time I checked GameStop (few days ago) here in Ireland, PS4 version was "out of stock"… XboxOne and PC was available.
Would love to see the numbers breakdown,
so I can fap, lol!

Congrats!

They couldn't ignore that Console space an it worked out greatly for them.

Now I would like to play this game, when it's finally fixed.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

I don't know about you but I don't find shortage of stock to be very funny.

Incredible incredible performance. The game is my personal GOAT and I'm so damn happy for CD Projekt Red. This game will have leeeeeegs too due to the quality and word of mouth from consumers

So roughly how much is that, in totally revenue minus adverts/marketing.

From my guesstimation thats comes go to at least 150 to 180 million dollars (or more). Unless I'm totally wrong.

Regardless its well deserved, they made a great game and there hasn't been a rpg this big nor a rpg this good looking in ages. Can't wait for Cyberpunnk 2077 which i how gets a bigger budget to build off of after this, given the influx of this will be a huge boost. Which I'm sure will caught the eye of a lot of developers, although moving to Poland seems a bit much still for most ;p.

Grief.exe

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

The Steam version was more expensive, more restrictive (DRM), and only sold on one store.
The GoG version was cheaper, DRM-free and sold on many stores.

And then there is retail, which made up a large portion (>50%) of Witcher 2's initial PC sales.

I mean, you could be right, but you could also be way off. Saying "at best" is most certainly unwarranted.

I agree that Steam most certainly contributes the vast majority of the sales for most PC games.

But The Witcher 3 is not like most PC games.
Between retail sales in central and eastern Europe and the fact that all digital copies not on Steam did not include Steam codes I wouldn't be surprised if it did more than half of its numbers outside of Steam.

Witcher 2 sales in the first 6 months on PC were 75% retail, 25% digital. Even I was very surprised when I read these numbers.

I would predict that total PC sales are around 1-1.3 million copies considering the atypical situation.

I would be interesting to get some hard numbers from CDPR and Rockstar, as GTAV launched under similar conditions.

So roughly how much is that, in totally revenue minus adverts/marketing.

From my guesstimation thats comes go to at least 150 to 180 million dollars (or more). Unless I'm totally wrong.

Regardless its well deserved, they made a great game and there hasn't been a rpg this big nor a rpg this good looking in ages. Can't wait for Cyberpunnk 2077 which i how gets a bigger budget to build off of after this, given the influx of this will be a huge boost. Which I'm sure will caught the eye of a lot of developers, although moving to Poland seems a bit much still for most ;p.

What? There are way to many extraneous factors to attempt to calculate a net. Let alone arbitrarily breaking it up like you have.

My guess:

PS4: 2.3 million
Xbone: 1 million
PC: 600-700k

Steam alone has already broken your....

Oh, it's Canis.

Ambient80

Awesome, the game was excellent and deserves all of that and more. For me, it will be a benchmark for similar RPGs in the future, and it's a high bar.

SnipeyMcGee

Incredible news and congrats to CD Projekt. Been with them since TW1 launched and I don't think I've seen a more talented studio. Witcher 3 is one of the best games I've ever played.

Well deserved, I hate RPGs but this is in my top 10 games of all time, I am amazed what they have achieved in only 3 years with such a small team , the world building tools e.t.c must be amazing .

One of the few games I will never trade and buy dlc for no questions asked,it will be interesting to see how fallout 4 quests will compare , I think this game will be the benchmark for years to come .

It would be awesome if they released Gwent on Android/iOS!! Would be perfect competition to Hearthstone and I'd play the shit out of it.

I still haven't picked up the game due to the amount of bugs reported on the PS4 version, but i'm glad they've managed to sell so much in 14-days! :)

Absolutely fantastic news!!!

Best game this generation for sure and doubt it will be topped anytime soon!

Keep up the good work CDPR and keep that content coming and polished!

sleepykyo

So Wild Hunt already accounts for about half the total sales of the first two games combined.

Feels like Microsoft did quite a bit of marketing for this game. Everyone other twitch was "This world doesn't need a hero. It needs a professional."

I still dislike the combat in the series, but everything else was fun. Had that whole King's Bounty feel, where I always wanted to see what the next question mark was.

It would be awesome if they released Gwent on Android/iOS!! Would be perfect competition to Hearthstone and I'd play the shit out of it.

I still haven't picked up the game due to the amount of bugs reported on the PS4 version, but i'm glad they've managed to sell so much in 14-days! :)

I want a real card game. That shit is addicting!

Hayvic

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

The Steam version was more expensive, more restrictive (DRM), and only sold on one store.
The GoG version was cheaper, DRM-free and sold on many stores.

And then there is retail, which made up a large portion (>50%) of Witcher 2's initial PC sales.

I mean, you could be right, but you could also be way off. Saying "at best" is most certainly unwarranted.

I admit I was poking a bit. Honestly I hope you're right and that the retail and GoG figure is far larger than the Steam figure just to reward the trust CDP has in the PC gaming market

Well deserved, I so want to go ahead and call it GotY but A. I haven't finished it yet (still haven't even found Ciri XD) and B. many more games coming

But I've already had some choices that I can't wait to see how they play out in a second playthrough, this game was well worth the wait and while its hard to say how we'll all feel about it down the road it truly does feel like a once in a generation type of game, but again still feels to early to really call it that.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Well deserved. amazing game in every way, the amount of (great) content in here is just beyond everything I played in a long time.

Great job CD PROJEKT RED

Top Bottom