• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Nintendo ditching discs let's appreciate the incredible disc art of Wii U games!

Breath of the Wild has some striking disc artwork. While it's also on the Switch cart you can see they don't really compare with how much the game's title covers what little is visible.

discart.jpg

With Switch using cartridges and Breath of the Wild being the last Nintendo Wii U game it's going to be a while (possibly forever) before a Nintendo game will be on disc again.

Of course Nintendo started with discs for their home console games (barring the Famicom Disc System) with the minidiscs for GameCube. With the smaller disc size the title of the games took a lot of the area and many labels were monochromatic and appeared to be etched.

Then came the Wii Optical Disks which were standard size but early titles still suffered from monochromatic/few colors and essentially just the title on the disc like the GameCube discs.

The Fire Emblem disc is from the OP of a worse disc art thread
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=477922

Of course later titles began to see more elaborate full color labels. See the change in sequels:

Finally with the Wii U optical discs Nintendo perfected the medium...

large.jpg

...those wonderful soft edges!

Oh yeah they also were able to produce some of the best disc art ever.

Most of the Nintendo games released had wholly new art for their discs:

Even the ones that use art from the cover still looked very nice. Personal favorites are the Xenoblade Chronicles X (wish the West got that black Wii U label) and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

Also say goodbye to Lens Cleaner discs.

wiiu3.jpg

Now I want one.

Any alternate region disc arts I missed? Personal favorites? Aren't they just GORGEOUS?

Bonus Game: I took one of these pictures myself because I couldn't find a good one online. If you think about it which one makes sense.

The Wii U's discs were great. I'll never forget the first time I touched those soft edges.

That's fascinating you noted the changing trend in Wii discs. The more "monochrome", GCN-style early discs always stuck out to me, but I guess because I started paying less attention, I'd never noticed how they started making them more colourful and using artwork later on. That's cool.

I'm going to treasure my physical copy of BOTW forever. That disc art is just soooo good.

Peltz

Damn... I'm already getting feels for the Wii U artwork and it's been less than a month since Switch came out, and I still have a bunch of Wii U games in my backlog.

Switch game cards are really cool, but they are way too small to contain cool art.

Thank you for this beautiful thread. I went digital on so many Wii U games that I never saw most of these discs. They did some great stuff with a different medium.

The more "monochrome", GCN-style early discs always stuck out to me,

Just for the sake of correction, it's Duotone. Two tones. And hell yes they look good.

mavo

Banned
I will never forget when my ex opened the splatoon case and she went ¨daily dose¨ as soon as she saw the disc.

But i agree, most first party games on Wii U have really good box and disc art.

maxcriden

Awesome thread idea! Thanks for sharing these. My faves are NSLU, Pikmin 3, WWHD, Kirby, YWW, 3DW, El Capitan Todd, and DKC: TF.

Carlisle

Wow that Breath of the Wild disc art is a real stunner. Can't tell what it is at all on the Switch cart. Thought it was just some map or something. But damn, they should list it in the Switch vs Wii U BotW pro/con list.

MrFortyFive

The soft edges the were most memorable part of the Wii U launch for me. I had no intention of getting one but decided to at the last minute, so I had very little information about the system and its games going in. Taking Nintendo Land out the case for the first time blew my mind.

Wow, I think I've already got optical disc nostalgia.

And thanks for reminding me that NoA were the only region to never give us a physical version of Maiden of Black Water :/

Ludist210

Aside from amiibo Festival and NintendoLand, I went all-digital for the Wii U, and I regret it for a number of reasons...seeing this thread just adds another reason to that list. Man, those were gorgeous.

Surprised at all the big love for round edges. I put it in with "perfected the medium" as a bit of a joke. But indeed as someone who owns a ridiculous amount of Wii U games they are indeed glorious to hold.

EmiPrime

Great thread. The Wii U has so much charm, I wish it got the appreciation it deserved. The little things matter to me.

Lol i leave BotW in my wii U all the time so i forgot how gorgeous it actually looks.

Personally favorite in OP list is Pikmin 3. Got it for free during that MK8 deal but I wouldn't mind paying for that disc art.

I'm on mobile and have a data cap, but was Tokyo Mirage Sessions art posted? I like how it resembles the menus.

I tried to post all Wii U games that were published by Nintendo in all regions with the exception of Hyrule Warriors and Pokken.

I also included the regional differences I could find.

Funnily enough Devil's Third is the only one that has more than a color difference. I prefer the NA box art myself.

There's no difference between Nintendo Selects and original releases right?

I only own original releases of all the Wii U Nintendo Selects.

Since I've gone digital after year 2 of Wii U, I missed out on some fabulous disc art. I love that Yoshi's Woolly World disc art. Wow.

Thanks for making this thread.

N.Grim

The Wind Waker HD disc is the same in europe?? I have it but I don't remember that beatiful art

Edit: I have bought the retail version after playing the digital version, that's why

finalhour

Great thread! Never really thought about it much these labels, but seeing them all laid out like that, it's easy to see how great they are. I especially like Wooly World and Wind Waker.

Top Bottom