• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Nintendo ditching discs let's appreciate the incredible disc art of Wii U games!

Eolz

I'm gonna miss those soft edges for sure.
At least we'll likely still have the most colorful boxarts on Switch!

Damn, sick Wind Waker disk. Makes me sad my copy is digital. Cool topic.

Really think the Wii U is gonna be very collectible in the future.

Mega

Banned
Kinda wish I had gone with physical copies for the Wii U but was put off of that idea by the lack of manuals and shitty, flimsy cases (one of my first disc purchases got cracked in half due to the case offering no protection).

Going physical with Switch whenever possible. The cases are a lot nicer this time (reverse side art!) and at least in Isaac's case we got a nice manual.

Damn, sick Wind Waker disk. Makes me sad my copy is digital. Cool topic.

Really think the Wii U is gonna be very collectible in the future.

Inevitable. Not a huge number of consoles or physical copies sold, relatively short-lived compared to the competition, very good library of exclusives. Gamecube all over again.

shiyrley

Banned
I wish the inner ring of those disks had the curved edges so it would feel better when I finger it.
227DNJ2.png

Are there other fields where discs with rounded edges are commonplace? I had never seen one before the Wii U, and it is mind-blowing that it's not standard everywhere already.

marrec

Banned
The TMS #FE art was always such a standout for me, but ya I agree OP the disc art was never disappointing with the Wii U. A high note for Nintendo discs to go out on.

Yes Boss!

No joke.

Nintendo hit next level on the disc art for Wii U. Always such a pleasure to open a new 1st Party game to see how creative they were.

No joke.

Nintendo hit next level on the disc art for Wii U. Always such a pleasure to open a new 1st Party game to see how creative they were.

It's unfortunate that all 2016 Wii U games don't have unique disc art. They still look nice. Especially Star Fox Guard. #FE was released 2015 in Japan.

The TMS #FE art was always such a standout for me, but ya I agree OP the disc art was never disappointing with the Wii U. A high note for Nintendo discs to go out on.

Interesting. It not featuring any characters unlike all other Wii U disc arts definitely made it standout but I think I would enjoy all the characters surrounding the disc hole like the start screen.

marrec

Banned
Interesting. It not featuring any characters unlike all other Wii U disc arts definitely made it standout but I think I would enjoy all the characters surrounding the disc hole like the start screen.

It was more the transition from the cover art, to the disc art, to the opening menu. Everything felt connected in a good way.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wow, I went all digital and I've never even seen these disc arts! Awesome!

Great thread OP, thanks for taking the time to post these!

I meant to get the disc art for the New Super U 2-pack but forgot. I've updated the OP now.

At first I thought it was lame that the actual art was the same from the regular New Super Mario Bro. U but I was glad to see that it is indeed slightly altered.

I may need to get this version of the game. Which after means I would have 3 copies of NSMBU with the physical and digital copies I already own.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
They really nailed down a great startup experience. The disc art is fantastic. The rounded edges are very comfortable to hold. You then quickstart or go to the main menu with the menu sounds. I really enjoyed my time with the Wii U, minus the slow OS.

So is that Wii U lens cleaner disc region free?

I would assume so since nothing is being read.

Strangely enough after looking up Wii U discs and seeing it I actually did what one. Went online and Ebay and all that seems to be available are Japanese copies.

CHC

I'll never forget the first time I touched those beautiful rounded disc edges. I couldn't exactly put my finger on what was so different, but I knew it was something.

Gotta add this gem from the original Wii, best use of disc hole on the system:

Yeah, I definitely agree. The box art and disk art for XBC was great. A lot of the disk art for the Wii U games are great too along with the box art of most of the Nintendo games as well. I loved the rounded edges on the Wii U disks too.

Anybody else have most if not all of these? I have all the North American releases except Paper Mario: Color Splash, Pokken Tournament and Mario & Sonic at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games. The latter of which goes for $100 now.

I'll probably get the New Super U combo pack. I'll also do wany that lens cleaner but a North American version may be out of reach.

I need to get European copies of Fatal Frame and Art Academy. Still pissed off they didn't get retail releases. Thanks NOA for treating the region that bought the most Wii U games the worst. Both titles even used the Gamepad extensively.

Unlike retail where I need to get titles when they go on sale or before they become rare there's no rush with digital. I wish I had bought Fatal Frame at launch to support those type of games but I had hope a physical release could come.

Now I hope MyNintendo could maybe offer discounts for the two digital titles. I have plenty of gold coins.

Also I had assume Art Academy would have the same disc art in Japan like other games but the game, called Jikkuri Egokoro Kyoushitsu in Japan, has a very different box art from the European release:

jikkuri-egokoro-kyoushitsu-432575.1.jpg

I can't find any images of the disc online. Anybody happen to know if it's the same or not?

DLaicH

Wii U disc art is gorgeous. I wonder what printing tech they're using. The older discs had fewer colors due to the limitations of screen printing, which has been the traditional method of printing on discs. This involved each color having its own ink and its own screen (basically a stencil), so it really lent itself to flat designs with just one or two colors. Clearly their current technique is more advanced.

watershed

Banned
The Wii and WiiU both had some gorgeous disc art. Really gonna miss that and the splash screens games had. Everything about the Switch UI is barebones. The BOTW disc art is amazing.

1morerobot

Awesome post, OP!

Honestly, I have never noticed how beautiful these disc arts are until now. Some real gems there.

Top Bottom