• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•11-13•16 - What's outside JJ's hatch too big but fails, Bombas Grimsbomba-y

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

4bnNzdK.jpg
vbkM1lg.jpg
olb4eD6.jpg
NrZBqsN.jpg
mQmTVJb.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
99% Zootopia
9wcOG.gif
91% 10 Cloverfield Lane
kavuF.gif
84% Deadpool
3Pj0x.gif
25% London Has Fallen
0hJB1.gif
62% Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
aAS8X.gif
33% The Perfect Match
CBq5r.gif
63% The Young Messiah
aAS8X.gif
38% The Brothers Grimsby

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Zootopia’ Rules With $50 Million, Sacha Baron Cohen’s ‘Brothers Grimsby’ Bombs

Disney’s “Zootopia” cruised to another box office victory this weekend, picking up $50 million and barreling across the $100 million mark domestically.

After two weeks of release, “Zootopia,” the critically acclaimed story of a plucky rabbit policewoman, has earned $142.6 million stateside. In its second weekend, “Zootopia” only dropped 33% — an impressive show of endurance at a time when major releases routinely see their grosses cut in half after a big opening. The animated offering is benefiting from a lack of family fare. It’s been more than six weeks since “Kung Fu Panda 3” landed in theaters and the next film aimed at younger audiences doesn’t hit until April 15 with “The Jungle Book.”

“Family audiences have been underserved for months, so this movie is perfectly timed to get more bang for the buck,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at ComScore.

Despite the continued strength of the “Zootopia” juggernaut, Paramount and Bad Robot’s “10 Cloverfield Lane” was able to connect with audiences, earning $25.2 million from 3,391 locations. That’s a strong return given that the film about a woman who finds herself trapped in a doomsday bunker, waiting out the apocalypse with the neighborhood survivalists cost $13 million to produce. The studio also kept marketing costs in check, holding off its campaign until eight weeks before the film opening, with its biggest spending coming with a Super Bowl teaser.

Paramount Vice-Chairman Rob Moore credited Bad Robot chief J.J. Abrams with coming up with the twisty thriller while he was in production on “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.” He said the key was to make sure that none of the advertisements revealed any of the film’s surprises.

“We wanted to give people just enough clues to keep them excited, interested, and wanting more,” said Moore. “That’s rare in this day and age, when so much [information] is given out so early.

All was not well with “The Brothers Grimsby.” The Sony spy comedy from Sacha Baron Cohen opened to a terminal $3.2 million from 2,235 locations, raising questions about the viability of the comic mind behind “Borat” and “Bruno’s” bankability.

“We certainly wanted more,” said Rory Bruer, Sony’s distribution chief. “Sacha is amazing and we love him, and we tried to crack the code on it, but it just didn’t happen for us.”

Baron Cohen’s most recent starring effort, 2012’s “The Dictator,” disappointed with roughly $180 million on a $65 million budget, and he tends to have a long period of time between projects, which may have diminished his popularity. Whatever the case, “The Brothers Grimsby” with a $35 million budget, ranks as the biggest flop of Baron Cohen’s career.

Focus’ faith-based play, “The Young Messiah” had a lackluster launch, debuting to $3.4 million from 1,761 locations. Also opening, Lionsgate’s romance “The Perfect Match,” which unfolded in 925 locations to $4.2 million for the weekend.

In limited release, Bleecker Street’s drone thriller “Eye in the Sky,” generated $117,050 from five locations for a $23,410 per-theater average. Roadside Attractions and Sony’s Stage 6 Films also opened “Hello, My Name is Doris,” an off-beat comedy about an older woman (Sally Field) who becomes smitten with a young co-worler, in four screens in New York and Los Angeles, where it pulled in $85,240 for a per-screen average of $21,310.

The domestic box office year-to-date was up more than 9% after last weekend. However, those gains have largely been on the backs of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” which opened in 2015, but did more than $400 million worth of business this year, as well as “Zootopia,” “Kung Fu Panda 3,” and “Deadpool.” That’s led to a severe case of haves and have nots. There have been a litany of wide releases that have stumbled or fallen flat in recent months — a collection of also-runs and bombs that includes “Whiskey Tango Foxtrot,” “Gods of Egypt,” “The 5th Wave,” “Pride & Prejudice & Zombies,” and “Eddie the Eagle.”

“It’s a traffic jam out there,” said Dergarabedian. “The marketplace is monumentally overcrowded and there are too many films that don’t have a solid chance to do well.”

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for source*

Jarmel

Banned
I wonder how many kids are actually going to see Zootopia. Last night, theater was full of adults for me.

Sean C

36 53 Spectre Sony $47,000 +57.9% 16 -47 $2,938 $199,954,501 $245 19
Spectre's Bataan Death March continues. Only $45,499 to go!

Allegiant will probably take #1 next weekend, but it would be hilarious if Zootopia beat it.

kswiston

Reposting from the tail end of the last thread:

Here are the other recent Disney Animation films after their second weekend.

Big Hero 6 - $110M ($34.7M second weekend)
Frozen - $134M ($31.6M second weekend)
Wreck it Ralph - $94M ($33M second weekend)
Tangled - $97M ($21.6M second weekend)

Tangled and especially Frozen had really leggy runs through (and beyond) the winter holiday season. Tangled's remaining run was 4.76x its second weekend. Frozen's was 8.41x its second weekend. the others were in the 3x range.

Even 3x Zootopia's $50M second weekend would put it just under $300M.

eFKac

Poor SBC, the trailer to Grimsby I saw was pretty awful, but seems like the movie isn't bad, if you like a certain kind of humour.

Even Risen isn't doing as good as the last Sony Christian movie, to pull that flop. Doom.

Spectre at 200m domestic though? Lol :-D

kswiston

Spectre's Bataan Death March continues. Only $45,499 to go!

Allegiant will probably take #1 next weekend, but it would be hilarious if Zootopia beat it.

Congrats to Sony for doing everything humanly possible to get Spectre over $200M. It now has the longest run of all of the Daniel Craig Bond movies.

Also, that 57% increase this weekend after losing 75% of its venues seems a tad suspect.

It'll be put in the Best Animated Feature ghetto.
Definitely will.

Its a shame. Who would argue that Inside Out wasn't a top 8 movie last year? Bridge of Spies, The Martian, really?

These animation studios are doing amazing work. Doesn't need to win, but a nomination would be nice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Congrats to Sony for doing everything humanly possible to get Spectre over $200M. It now has the longest run of all of the Daniel Craig Bond movies.

Also, that 57% increase this weekend after losing 75% of its venues seems a tad suspect.
lol. At this point can't they just buy the tickets themselves.

FTF

Definitely will.

Its a shame. Who would argue that Inside Out wasn't a top 8 movie last year? Bridge of Spies, The Martian, really?

These animation studios are doing amazing work. Doesn't need to win, but a nomination would be nice.

The Academy would have been very smart to use those last two bp spots for IO and TFA. But they're dumb, so they didn't.

noquarter

Baron Cohen’s most recent starring effort, 2012’s “The Dictator,” disappointed with roughly $180 million on a $65 million budget,
Is that really disappointing, almost 3x returns? Especially in a Sacha Baron Cohen movie, I would think that is fantastic. Think the biggest problem is the budget being 65 million, seems really high for what he does.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Zootopia deserves it. It was so freaking good.

FTF

Is that really disappointing, almost 3x returns? Especially in a Sacha Baron Cohen movie, I would think that is fantastic. Think the biggest problem is the budget being 65 million, seems really high for what he does.

Yeah that doesn't make much sense, making 3x your budget is usually always a good thing. (unless you're a huge blockbuster like the Avengers and only make say $700m ww, etc)

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Zootopia - $431M (over $110M from China after a second weekend of close to $60M)
Allegiant - $27M
The Brothers Grimsby - $14M
Kung Fu Panda 3 - $356M

By next weekend, Zootopia will be the highest grossing animated film of all time in China (Sorry KFP3). Based on trends there and domestic trends, I think $800M worldwide is the floor. If the film does big money in the UK and Japan, it could get even higher.

andthebeatgoeson

I wonder how many kids are actually going to see Zootopia. Last night, theater was full of adults for me.
What time? I went at 755 and nothing but families. Then I saw a 1030 showing and I'm like, 'wut?'

Really good film, so I recommend it for kids and adults. Some things were forced but overall, a good film that I'm sure will get a sequel.

Guess I should go see Zootopia, huh?

Can't find anybody to go with tho. The last time I watched an animated movie by myself was Kung Fu Panda 2, and the parents in the theater were all giving me dirty looks.

kswiston

Can't find anybody to go with tho. The last time I watched an animated movie by myself was Kung Fu Panda 2, and the parents in the theater were all giving me dirty looks.

Wear a fox costume so they suspect you of being a furry instead of a child molester :p

Alternatively, just go to a late show.

OldRoutes

No they weren't. It's a movie theater, it's okay to get there by yourself.

I have a funny feeling that Dianey is gonna have a really good year box office wise they have a non-stop string of continuous hits throughout the year.

I mean they were 5th in terms of overall box office revenue among the major studios and now a decade later they're almost at the top what the hell happened?

I'm quite thrilled to see Zootopia continuing to do so well, if anyone still hasn't seen it please do because it's a fantastic film.

And somebody pour out a 40.oz for Sony Pictures their box office standing last year was pretty horrific and The Brothers Grimsby isn't doing much to help that standing.

Spider-Man and their other big tentpole franchises can't come soon enough for them.

And Phil Johnston the co-writer of Zootopia also co-wrote The Brothers Grimsby.

I've personally never seen somebody write a bonafide box office smash and then around the same time write a bonafide box office bomb.

What a time to be alive.

kswiston

I mean they were 5th in terms of overall box office revenue among the major studios and now a decade later they're almost at the top what the hell happened?

They bought Marvel, bought Lucasfilm, and restructured Disney Animation.

It doesn't hurt that Paramount and Sony fell off a cliff.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Despite the continued strength of the “Zootopia” juggernaut, Paramount and Bad Robot’s “10 Cloverfield Lane” was able to connect with audiences, earning $25.2 million from 3,391 locations.

I predicted 8-10 mil.

I am really bad at this

They bought Marvel, bought Lucasfilm, and restructured Disney Animation.

It doesn't hurt that Paramount and Sony fell off a cliff.

It's no wonder they made a deal with Disney/Marvel to keep Spider-Man because aside from that what other big tentpole franchises do they have right now?

Sean C

wow the Revenant was expensive.
It was originally budgeted at around $90 million and then had massive cost overruns due to the decision to shoot only in natural light and weather irregularities meaning they had to relocate the shoot to South America to find snow.

kswiston

It's no wonder they made a deal with Disney/Marvel to keep Spider-Man because aside from that what other big tentpole franchises do they have right now?

Depends on what you mean by tentpole. Nothing that is reliable for over $500M worldwide outside of Spidey and Bond.

EDIT: I don't see how Disney loses this year for domestic Studio share. Fox and WB are their most likely competitors, but that would require some major overperformances and some Disney underperformances.

Depends on what you mean by tentpole. Nothing that is reliable for over $500M worldwide outside of Spidey and Bond.

EDIT: I don't see how Disney loses this year for domestic Studio share. Fox seems to be the most likely competitor.

Well Let's hope that Sony can recover from this string of box office flops.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
the value of Borat and Bruno was the unscripted reactions.
Sasha should go back to that and leave the stupid shit hes doing now to the likes of adam sandler

kswiston

Deadpool is now at $708M worldwide. Less than $40M to go before it tops Days of Future Past Worldwide.

Deadpool also cracked the Top 10 comicbook films list this weekend. It should manage to get high enough on that list to avoid being knocked out by BvS and Civil War this year.

FTF

Do we know what 10 Cloverfield Lane's budget is? I assume it had to be pretty small.

Under $20m, but estimates vary anywhere from $5m (imdb, but that seems way too low) to $15m (Variety). Regardless it'll be a nice little hit for Paramount.

Deadpool is now at $708M worldwide. Less than $40M to go before it tops Days of Future Past Worldwide.

Deadpool also cracked the Top 10 comicbook films list this weekend. It should manage to get high enough on that list to avoid being knocked out by BvS and Civil War this year.

Does it have any major markets left to open up in?

The advertisements of the Brothers Grimsby have been terrible IMO and soured any interest I had in the movie (and that interest was pretty low already).

Just the same commercial played over and over and over with the same terrible jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom