• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•11-13•16 - What's outside JJ's hatch too big but fails, Bombas Grimsbomba-y

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

You don't think either of the Illumination films has a shot at $500 million? It's tough to project films that aren't part of an existing franchise, but that seems premature.

I forgot about that pets movie. I suppose it has a shot too, though a lot of new animation IPs fail to hit that mark on their first film.

The other film comes out Dec 23rd, so no, that isnt making $500M this year.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Just got out of Zootopia with my kids and it was absolutely packed. Not surprised at how huge its second weekend is. Really enjoyed it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Allegiant is coming up next week. Overseas seems to be holding its own.

There doesn't seem to be any hype domestically though.

Sean C

Allegiant is coming up next week. Overseas seems to be holding its own.

There doesn't seem to be any hype domestically though.
That franchise has never had any hype. It exists on some kind of autopilot, despite indifferent box office results the whole way through.

I highly doubt they'll be able to pull in $60M domestically in 2017 for a re-release of a movie that came out in 2015. Even $30M is unlikely.

~$18m would put it past Snow White into the top ten domestic films of all time when adjusted for inflation. That's all I want. :p

(though going by initial run only, it's already 9th)

Dabanton

the value of Borat and Bruno was the unscripted reactions.
Sasha should go back to that and leave the stupid shit hes doing now to the likes of adam sandler

I think the problem is his too well known to do that now. His a victim of his characters success.

It's shame as he's at his best when he has to think on his feet. Like he did in Borat and Bruno.

kswiston

~$18m would put it past Snow White into the top ten domestic films of all time when adjusted for inflation. That's all I want. :p

(though going by initial run only, it's already 9th)

Mojo's adjusted numbers are flawed in a ton of ways. I wouldn't put much stock in that list, especially if examining movies that are close together on it but released a half century or more apart.

TFA's initial run is the third largest of all time behind E.T. and Titanic. Star Wars' "Initial run" includes re-releases in the summer of 1978 and 1979. Gone with the Wind's initial release includes the film's first 50 years of availability. Ditto for most of the other old films.

kswiston

Deadpool, Star Wars, The Revenant, and now Zootopia are really boosting the first quarter of this year. I am looking at the YTD comparisons, and 2016 is already ahead of last year by 10%, despite last year having some record breaking moments in January and February.

BvS should end March off on a strong note as well. Too bad April is a bit of a deadzone.

GhaleonEB

It's almost out of theaters now, but I'm pretty happy with how The Witch did. $3m production budget, distribution rights picked up for $1m, $25m total BO (not sure if it's getting any further international distribution). Should do okay on demand, where it might find its audience more effectively.

kswiston

It's almost out of theaters now, but I'm pretty happy with how The Witch did. $3m production budget, distribution rights picked up for $1m, $25m total BO (not sure if it's getting any further international distribution). Should do okay on demand, where it might find its audience more effectively.

It was definitely a success story. Anything over $20M for microbudget horror is pretty good unless it comes with a huge ad campaign like the Paranormal Activity films used to receive.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The Academy would have been very smart to use those last two bp spots for IO and TFA. But they're dumb, so they didn't.

Shaun the Sheep was better than both.

hirokazu

That Gods of Egypt Budget. Not sure if stupid or Hollywood accounting.

Lionsgate seems to have it worked out. Though not sure if it even did well enough to negate their "<$10m financial exposure" after taking marketing expenses into account.

The Australian government provided tax breaks worth almost $65m. From that, the NSW state government estimates production provided $75m to the economy and add 400 jobs. And they were able to lure higher profile films to Australia, so they seem to have gotten a good deal out of it.

So I guess the only losers are the likes of EOne and other distributors who bought the overseas rights?

It's amazing how badly a film can bomb and yet still work out alright (or provide benefits) to those who covered the production costs.

Lima

So I guess the only losers are the likes of EOne and other distributors who bought the overseas rights?

And even they have minimal losses I guess because those kind of films still do some okay business overseas. Honestly no one will lose much with that film except the person losing free time by seeing the movie.

Fox Mulder

Poor SBC, the trailer to Grimsby I saw was pretty awful, but seems like the movie isn't bad, if you like a certain kind of humour.

After Borat, He should have churned out films like all hot comedians do after a hit. It's years between his stuff and I forgot he was alive.

Mojo's adjusted numbers are flawed in a ton of ways. I wouldn't put much stock in that list, especially if examining movies that are close together on it but released a half century or more apart.

TFA's initial run is the third largest of all time behind E.T. and Titanic. Star Wars' "Initial run" includes re-releases in the summer of 1978 and 1979. Gone with the Wind's initial release includes the film's first 50 years of availability. Ditto for most of the other old films.

I knew they weren't at all perfect, but I didn't realize they were that far off.

Is there more detailed documentation/sources out there?

Garlador

We live in a world where Deadpool has surpassed Man of Steel, most (if not all) X-men films, and Iron Man at the domestic box office.

That is extremely surreal to me.

We live in a world where Deadpool has surpassed Man of Steel, most (if not all) X-men films, and Iron Man at the domestic box office.

That is extremely surreal to me.

I fucking love looking up all the crazy numbers about Deadpool. It's always fun to see box office numbers in general for me(yea, we're all weird).

Of all the films Fox has produced, Deadpool is their fourth highest grossing film of ALL TIME!(in original theatrical run) and R-rated to boot!

And this one just blows me away. Of every single film ever made, Deadpool is currently the 41st highest grossing film ever!

By the end of it's theatrical run, it should easily reach 34. Really with the way things are going, it will be sitting at the 30th spot of all time! Crazy stuff!

Sixth highest grossing Marvel Comic movie and Number Two all time grossing Superhero Origin film.

GhaleonEB

Today is up as well. I know kids are off for March break in my city. Maybe that is a fairly common week in a lot of regions, explaining higher daily business.

Ah, that's probably a factor. Spring break starts next week where I live, but other parts of the country might be getting out sooner. Still, up nearly 13% today compared to last week is pretty wild. The word of mouth is going to carry it into and through spring break - could end up with a pretty high multiplier depending how this weekend goes.

kswiston

Early ticket sales at Fandango suggest that this week will see a close race between Allegiant and Zootopia. Boxoffice.com is actually predicting Zootopia to come out on top, $37M to $33M.

The Revenant opens in China tomorrow, and seems to be getting pretty positive presale buzz. An opening weekend over $25M looks to be in the cards. That also means that The Revenant is likely to hit the $500M mark worldwide now.

The film is also Leo's third highest grossing picture worldwide after Titanic and Inception by this point. Same holds true for the domestic gross.

Early ticket sales at Fandango suggest that this week will see a close race between Allegiant and Zootopia. Boxoffice.com is actually predicting Zootopia to come out on top, $37M to $33M.

The Revenant opens in China tomorrow, and seems to be getting pretty positive presale buzz. An opening weekend over $25M looks to be in the cards. That also means that The Revenant is likely to hit the $500M mark worldwide now.

The film is also Leo's third highest grossing picture worldwide after Titanic and Inception by this point. Same holds true for the domestic gross.

yeah Zootopia keeps on winning!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I forsee 10 Cloverfield Lane to be my movie of the year. Go see it if you haven't. It's amazing.

After Borat, He should have churned out films like all hot comedians do after a hit. It's years between his stuff and I forgot he was alive.

He went did a couple musicals which I think was an odd choice following up his comedic turns. But, he's pretty as a supporting role. Grimsby tanking may hurt his chances as a leading man for a while, but he should still do well in supporting roles. If he's inclined to do as much.

kswiston

Their predicted weekend multipliers are shit but Deadline is saying $11.5M this Friday for Allegiant. That would translate to high 20s this weekend. Down over 20M from Insurgent.

Zootopia will threepeat.

Maybe the last Divergent movie can go straight to VOD!

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Allegiant - $11.9M
2) Zootopia - $9.6M (-20%) - $173M total
3) Miracles from Heaven - $4.2M - $7M total
4) 10 Cloverfield Lane - $3.7M (-59%) - $36M total
5) Deadpool - $2.25M (-25%) - $335M total

Insurgent made $21.1M on its first day. Divergent made $22.8M

Subtracting Thursday previews, Allegiant made about the same as Zootopia on Friday. Zootopia will easily win the weekend.

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Allegiant - $11.9M
3) Miracles from Heaven - ??

Subtracting Thursday previews, Allegiant made about the same as Zootopia on Friday. Zootopia will easily win the weekend.

Doesn't surprise me. The Divergent movies haven't been barn burners at the theater I work at, and they release during spring break. All of the showings of Zootopia had more people in them than Allegiant. Even the first shows of the day.

BumRush

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Allegiant - $11.9M

Going to see zootopia tonight, finally. Now it's DEFINITELY going to win the weekend.

GhaleonEB

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Allegiant - $11.9M

That Zootopia hold is once again, ridiculous. Hard drop for Cloverfield, but will probably do better for the weekend overall; spring break should bump up Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom