• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•11-13•16 - What's outside JJ's hatch too big but fails, Bombas Grimsbomba-y

Status
Not open for further replies.

FTF

The advertisements of the Brothers Grimsby have been terrible IMO and soured any interest I had in the movie (and that interest was pretty low already).

Just the same commercial played over and over and over with the same terrible jokes.

Yeah, the movie seems like it sucks, but the marketing has also been terrible and obviously hurt it at the box office.

kswiston

Does it have any major markets left to open up in?

Japan, but they don't really like comic films. DOFP made $10M there.

Maybe Deadpool's more comic take on superheroes will resonate though. Who knows.

Domestic has at least $25M more to go, and overseas will likely follow suit, so DOFP is going to go down.

Maybe Deadpool's more comic take on superheroes will resonate though. Who knows.

Domestic has at least $25M more to go, and overseas will likely follow suit, so DOFP is going to go down.

Wow, so Murican Sniper will likely fall, eh?

Who knew?

Mrbob

Curious to see if 10 Cloverfield Lane has legs. Despite the great reviews the CinemaScore is pretty bad which signals to me poor word of mouth. Haven't seen the movie the but was surprised at the lower cinemascore.

bananas

Banned
Disney's schedule for the rest of 2016:

April - The Jungle Book
May - Captain America: Civil War, Alice Through the Looking Glass
June - Finding Dory
July - The BFG
August - Pete's Dragon
November - Doctor Strange, Moana
December - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

They making bank this year.

Whats the highest grossing R-Rated film? Does Deadpool have a chance of topping it?
In the US the current top grossing one is Passion of the Christ, which it needs about 42 million more to pass. I'm not sure about worldwide, since those lists are problematic due to the different rating systems.

Ridley327

Whats the highest grossing R-Rated film? Does Deadpool have a chance of topping it?

Domestically, The Passion of the Christ is about $40 million ahead. I'm not sure there's enough gas in the tank left for Deadpool, especially with BvS coming at the end of the month.

Sean C

In the US the current top grossing one is Passion of the Christ, which it needs about 42 million more to pass. I'm not sure about worldwide, since those lists are problematic due to the different rating systems.
If you're going solely by the US rating, I think Deadpool already is the highest-grossing R-rated movie worldwide. It's #79 on the Box Office Mojo chart, and I don't think any of the films ahead of it were rated R.

GhaleonEB

Star Wars now past $930m. Will it scoot past $940m to inch towards $950m?

I don't think so. It's last two weekly takes (7-day) were just under $4m and $2.5m. I don't see it getting to $940m before the home release.

Really glad to see Zootopia's success, it was pretty clear from the opening weekend performance that it was going to have great legs, but 33% drop is fantastic. Doing well overseas, to boot.

That per screen average for Brothers is...just wow. I thought the trailer made the film look bad, but apparently everyone else thought so, too.

Curious to see if 10 Cloverfield Lane has legs. Despite the great reviews the CinemaScore is pretty bad which signals to me poor word of mouth. Haven't seen the movie the but was surprised at the lower cinemascore.
Eh, Mad Max had a poor score and held well .

That score seems pretty irrelevant

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Damn Disney might be the top studio this year.
Might be? It's a wrap. Check out that list a few posts above. No one can touch that. WB will probably be a distant 2nd with BvS, SS, and Fantastic Beasts.

kswiston

If you're going solely by the US rating, I think Deadpool already is the highest-grossing R-rated movie worldwide. It's #79 on the Box Office Mojo chart, and I don't think any of the films ahead of it were rated R.

The Matrix Reloaded is the highest grossing MPAA R film worldwide at $742M.

Deadpool will pass it.

Ogodei

The Academy would have been very smart to use those last two bp spots for IO and TFA. But they're dumb, so they didn't.

Didn't we get testimony about that in the "inside the academy" controversy where a bunch of voters basically said they punted on the animated feature, or just voted for whatever their kid liked? Animation isn't on the radar for the majority of voters, i'd bet.

• a collection of also-runs and bombs that includes “Whiskey Tango Foxtrot,” “Gods of Egypt,” “The 5th Wave,” “Pride & Prejudice & Zombies,” and “Eddie the Eagle.”
Well, they looked mediocre to garbage so I'm not displeased with that result.

Is it only animated movies that families come to, according to box office analysts? That is...interesting. Is it because animated movies are the only G to PG movies?

Ridley327

• a collection of also-runs and bombs that includes “Whiskey Tango Foxtrot,” “Gods of Egypt,” “The 5th Wave,” “Pride & Prejudice & Zombies,” and “Eddie the Eagle.”
Well, they looked mediocre to garbage so I'm not displeased with that result.

Is it only animated movies that families come to, according to box office analysts? That is...interesting. Is it because animated movies are the only G to PG movies?

More or less. Family movies in these theaters these days are largely defined on which animation outfit owned by Disney is preceding the film's title. I don't think you could really get something like The Sandlot to play in theaters these days, which is why a lot of that stuff goes straight to video.

I saw Brothers Grimsby for free Friday and it was hilarious. The movie itself was not very good (weird plot, inconsistent characters etc) but the majority of the jokes were hilarious and landed very, very consistently and was overall much better than The Dictator so I'm kinda bummed that it bombed so hard. The trailers did it no favors that's for sure.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

How much of the low CinemaScore is people pissed off this isn't really Cloverfield 2? The marketing plan worked regardless. If this movie were still called Valencia, it wouldn't make $25 million total.

kswiston

How much of the low CinemaScore is people pissed off this isn't really Cloverfield 2? The marketing plan worked regardless. If this movie were still called Valencia, it wouldn't make $25 million total.

10 Cloverfield Lane actually increased on Saturday despite Friday having Thursday previews, and horror films typically being frontloaded. Legs might not be as bad as you would think.

Depends on what you mean by tentpole. Nothing that is reliable for over $500M worldwide outside of Spidey and Bond.

EDIT: I don't see how Disney loses this year for domestic Studio share. Fox and WB are their most likely competitors, but that would require some major overperformances and some Disney underperformances.

Don´t forget Universal, which had the largest WW gross ever for any studio.

C4Lukins

Star Wars now past $930m. Will it scoot past $940m to inch towards $950m?

My guess is it ends up around 940 million. I guess there is still the potential for a second wave marketing campaign to get it higher, but I doubt they will do that.

I would not be surprised to see a rerelease in the weeks leading up to episode 8, which could get it over a billion.

kswiston

Man, i heard the same thing last year, and Universal destroyed them. The WB, and Fox will give them a run for their money this.

They seem to have a decent lineup this year.

How do you figure that Universal has a decent line up this year? Jurassic World, Minions, and Furious 7 made $4.3B of their $6.9B worldwide last year. What was left over in 2015 is a decent match for their entire lineup this year.

Bourne and Warcraft are the only films that have any real shot at $500M+ worldwide for Universal this year.

EDIT: If we are talking worldwide, no studio has much of a chance at Disney this year. Zootopia is at least $800M. The Force Awakens spillover gross for 2016 was around $800M.

Daingurse

Deadpool over 700 million is so awesome. Never imagined this movie would have reached such success before release. NEVER.

How do you figure that Universal has a decent line up this year? Jurassic World, Minions, and Furious 7 made $4.3B of their $6.9B worldwide last year. What was left over in 2015 is a decent match for their entire lineup this year.

Bourne and Warcraft are the only films that have any real shot at $500M+ worldwide for Universal this year.

I would argue for My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, The huntsman 2, Neighbors 2, and probably Bridget Jones, would make money. Of course not in the magnitude the threesome had last year, but that is not a bad lineup to me.

Decado

It was originally budgeted at around $90 million and then had massive cost overruns due to the decision to shoot only in natural light and weather irregularities meaning they had to relocate the shoot to South America to find snow.

wat? They couldn't find snow in Alberta? It is like not being able to find sand on the beach.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I would argue for My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, The huntsman 2, Neighbors 2, and probably Bridget Jones, would make money. Of course not in the magnitude the threesome had last year, but that is not a bad lineup to me.

mjlol.png
I keep forgetting that's a thing. Might challenge Tarzan as the biggest flop of the year.

Sesha

Deadpool and Zootopia killing it. London has Bombed, Bombsby and Bombs of Egypt are imploding. I love it.

They tend to like the Tokusatsu/sentai-looking Marvel stuff. That's what I've heard and the numbers tend to match up. Iron Man 3, Avengers and the last two Spider-Man movies were all in the 25-45m range. Deadpool being dressed head to toe might actually make a difference compared to DOFP.

As for adult comedies, Ted was the 4th biggest movie at $43m, but that might be because it had a cute animated character in it. Anecdotally, none of the people I talked to "got" Ted, but they might have been in the wrong age range.

If I had to guess I'd say it'll do at least $15-20m.

FTF

mjlol.png
I keep forgetting that's a thing. Might challenge Tarzan as the biggest flop of the year.

There was a trailer for Huntsman before 10 Cloverfield, it looked terrible. The first one was horrible so par for the course I guess.

kswiston

I doubt all four of the films you list combined will hit Minions WW total. I see no real desire for MBFGW2 regardless of what the first made. The Huntsman isnt tracking well. The other two will do fine for what they are.

Civil War and Dory are pretty close to locks for $1B+. Disney has several others this year that are good bets for $500M+ by Dec 31st. Disney will easily hit $5B+ worldwide again this year.

vern

Brother's Grimsby was hilarious. Funniest movie in a long time. If you are a fan of SBC you'll love it I would say. It's not as good as Borat or Bruno but better than Dictator and the Ali G movie IMO. Some jokes fell flat of course, but it has some pretty huge laughs as well. There were only about 12 people in the cinema when I watched it, but everyone who was in there was cracking up.

Edit: I only see maybe 3-4 movies each year so my opinion isn't worth much probably. I don't stay up on movies and watch trailers and all that crap, in fact I didn't even know there was a new SBC movie until last week when there was the Donald Trump AIDS thread and decided I would go watch it since I love the Ali G show and most of what SBC does.

Also, the trailers before this movie were garbage. There is a movie that's got Zac Efron and some other dude trying to go to a wedding in Hawaii, looks like dogshit but it's apparently a comedy. There was a trailer for a Dazed and Confused 80's sequel/spinoff? type thing... don't know who that one is for it looked atrocious. Popstar looked ok but then I saw Judd Apatow's name and that dude hasn't ever made anything worth watching so I'll skip it. There was a movie about a washed up gymnast, called "The Bronze" I think. That girl's character was obviously supposed to be an annoying, shrill, terrible woman... but after 2 minutes she already was on my last nerve and I'm the most chilled out dude around. If anybody actually watches that garbage I'll be shocked. Long story short, go watch Brothers Grimsby. It's funnier than most other comedies this year, judging by the trailers I saw.

More or less. Family movies in these theaters these days are largely defined on which animation outfit owned by Disney is preceding the film's title. I don't think you could really get something like The Sandlot to play in theaters these days, which is why a lot of that stuff goes straight to video.
It's a bit sad I guess when I compare it to the family films I grew up on that were live-action. The Goonies, ET, Home Alone, Babe, etc. There was Pan recently, but that didn't
pan
out well for reasons?

FoneBone

EDIT: If we are talking worldwide, no studio has much of a chance at Disney this year. Zootopia is at least $800M. The Force Awakens spillover gross for 2016 was around $800M.
You don't think either of the Illumination films has a shot at $500 million? It's tough to project films that aren't part of an existing franchise, but that seems premature.

Brother's Grimsby is definitely the funniest movie I've seen this year so far. Only 20 people in the theatre, but everyone of us laughed our asses off.

firelogic

My guess is it ends up around 940 million. I guess there is still the potential for a second wave marketing campaign to get it higher, but I doubt they will do that.

I would not be surprised to see a rerelease in the weeks leading up to episode 8, which could get it over a billion.

I highly doubt they'll be able to pull in $60M domestically in 2017 for a re-release of a movie that came out in 2015. Even $30M is unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom