• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•11-13•16 - What's outside JJ's hatch too big but fails, Bombas Grimsbomba-y

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

That Zootopia hold is once again, ridiculous. Hard drop for Cloverfield, but will probably do better for the weekend overall; spring break should bump up Sunday.

Cloverfield's drop is decent for its genre. Taking out the previews, the Friday-to-Friday drop was 49%. There's a good chance the entire weekend's drop will be under 55%. The original Cloverfield dropped 76% Friday-to-Friday and 68% over the weekend.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Has B.O. Gaf put in their final OW predictions for BvS yet? I was firm on 205 for weeks but with the latest tracking numbers and buzz I'm upping it to 210.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Was planning to go and see alleigant monday but I've literally just found out that its not the finale and the last book was split into two
at least the other franchises had the decency to be upfront about it by naming them part 1 & 2

Ridley327

Was planning to go and see alleigant monday but I've literally just found out that its not the finale and the last book was split into two
at least the other franchises had the decency to be upfront about it by naming them part 1 & 2

Lionsgate's little trick here is bound to backfire, I think. It'll kill the WOM for sure once it gets out that this is really a part 1.

kswiston

In China, Zootopia just scored a record for the highest third Saturday in history. It will either have the best or second best third weekend in general after Furious 7 there I think. Some of that has to do with opening days obviously. The Mermaid opened on a Monday, so its third Saturday was day 20 of its run, vs Day 16 for Zootopia.

Either way, Zootopia is now at $160M in China and will easily hit $200M. Too bad,Foreign movies get pretty short runs. Without an extension, it will leave Chinese theatres with money on the table.

In other Chinese news, The Revenant is now at $23M after 2 days. Its opening weekend there will be over $30M. Even if it collapses when BvS opens, the Chinese gross will be enough to push the film past $500M WW.

Gods of Egypt dropped hard this weekend, but has still managed to earn $32M in China. The film will finish a little over $35M, which will be enough to top the domestic take.

Has B.O. Gaf put in their final OW predictions for BvS yet? I was firm on 205 for weeks but with the latest tracking numbers and buzz I'm upping it to 210.

That seems kinda high to me. I don't wanna hang my ass out on the line too much, but I'm feeling more like 175-185 is where we'll wind up.

Cooter

That seems kinda high to me. I don't wanna hang my ass out on the line too much, but I'm feeling more like 175-185 is where we'll wind up.
You're right, it is high. I'm expecting good WoM and it to over perform the final set of tracking numbers of 175-185.

You're right, it is high. Im expecting good WoM and it to over perform the final set of tracking numbers of 175-185.

I don't know that word of mouth is going to boost opening weekend. That effect is usually felt in the following weekend. Opening weekend is basically "How well did marketing do its job."

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Damn Allegiant, quite a fall there.

I'll wait until it hits VOD to see it.

On a side note, Viacom CEO mentioned that Paramount will incur loses of $100M for both Zoolander & WTF due to their underperformance at the BO.

Paramount's gonna need Star Trek to carry a lot of weight this summer.

I don't know that they're gonna get that, though. I think Star Trek will do somewhere around 200 mil domestic, but they spent like, 180 on making it, I believe. So unless international picks up a LOT of the extra weight...

Cooter

I don't know that word of mouth is going to boost opening weekend. That effect is usually felt in the following weekend. Opening weekend is basically "How well did marketing do its job."
Good point. I'm still sticking to 210 Ha. I see no reason this won't be equally as big as Jurassic World and Avengers.

Paramount is so desperate for franchises they got a fuckin' xXx reboot coming. Swear they got the most depressing release schedule going forward

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
There's also TMNT 2, combined they could do $1B WW.

Paramount are great at summer tentpoles but the rest leaves to be desired. They've had this problem for several years now.

3N16MA

Banned
Eventually, Paramount will just merge Transformers, TMNT, and GI Joe into a Hasbro shared universe :p

GI Joe is already part of the Hasbro shared universe along with Micronauts, Visionairies, M.A.S.K. I don't believe TMNT is a Hasbro brand.

GI Joe is already part of the Hasbro shared universe along with Micronauts, Visionairies, M.A.S.K. I don't believe TMNT is a Hasbro brand.

Viacom owns Paramount as well as the rights to the TMNT franchise, but Playmates has the licensing rights for the toys. TMNT has been a Playmates cash cow since 1987.

I need to see Zootopia. I went to see 10 Cloverfield last weekend and liked it.

No surprise that Brothers Grimsby bombed. It looks stupid, awful and ultimately horrendous.

kswiston

Weekend studio estimates:

1) Zootopia - $38.0M - $202M total
2) Allegiant - $29.0M
3) Miracles from Heaven - ??? (Might be 4th)
4) 10 Cloverfield lane - $12.5M - $45M total
X) Deadpool - $8.0M - $341M total

I am on my phone but I think that Zootopia broke the third weekend record for an animated film set by Shrek 2 back in 2004.

kswiston

Zootopia's new worldwide total is $591M.

Remember a couple weeks back when someone suggested that the films early start suggested no audience overseas? This film is looking like it will get to or close to $600M international.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
People are getting tired of YA Novel adaptions I suppose.

While they were adapted prior, there was definitely a kick to start adapting how insanely successful Potter and LOTR were(I know LOTR wasn't YA, but it did lead a lot of others)

Because of those, you had stuff like Eargon, The Seeker, Narnia, Golden Compass, and others. Which lead over to them branching out to non fantasy YA and Twilight getting adapted and blowing up. So refocus over to the adventure/romance ones with Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Divergeant... which have all been slowly crumbling. You know Lionsgate can't be happy with Mockingjay Part 2 being the lowest grossing film.

I also believe its due to them stretching out the films far beyond their lengths. Since Potter did the P1 and P2. Its hit a lot of films. Twilight, Hobbit, Hunger Games, Divergent. Were they have been artificially stretching out films. The issue prior was trying to cram one book into one film. Now they don't have enough interesting content in a book for two films. Even though a lot of the films still well. Almost everyone had a significant drop, which doesn't look well with how the overseas box office has been growing rapidly. The biggest being Hunger games, but even The Hobbit films were still down a bit between films.

Now all the companies seem to be doubling down on Comic and Toy series because of it.

Magwik

Banned
Weekend studio estimates:

1) Zootopia - $38.0M - $202M total
2) Allegiant - $29.0M
3) Miracles from Heaven - ??? (Might be 4th)
4) 10 Cloverfield lane - $12.5M - $45M total
X) Deadpool - $8.0M - $341M total

I am on my phone but I think that Zootopia broke the third weekend record for an animated film set by Shrek 2 back in 2004.

image.gif

kmfdmpig

Kswiston's plan sounds much more realistic. The number of people that even remember the Micronauts, Visionaries or M.A.S.K. (which I personally loved) is minimal and the subset of that group that is clamoring for a shared universe must be in the dozens.

I'm not surprised that someone thought about such a thing or pitched it, but if they actually go through with it they'll lose a ton of money.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can't find anybody to go with tho. The last time I watched an animated movie by myself was Kung Fu Panda 2, and the parents in the theater were all giving me dirty looks.

Tell them if they keep giving you dirty looks you'll molest them instead of their kids. And then munch your popcorn super slowly at them.

I don't advise this.

I don't think YA lit is ever a thing that will fade in popularity. The closing chapters of THG and Divergent are just flat out bad, and the decision to turn them into two parters makes the experience worse by padding out the length rather than cutting it gracefully short.

Rowling spoiled us with her relative coherence.

Korigama

Correction: People are tired of YA films that have a chessy love triangle.

Maze Runner and its sequel just did fine, and they are both great movies that don't focus on hookey love premise.
But there is no triangle in Divergent. Those perform poorly because they simply aren't particularly distinctive, coherent, or compelling.

The sequel to the Maze Runner made money, but I recall it being considered a much worse film compared to its predecessor (which isn't particularly surprising, as the consensus seems to be that the books serving as the source material also got progressively worse).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom