• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•17-19•17 - King Kong dethroned as Disney continues to BEAST box office

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Deadline is saying $80M for Beauty and the Beast, $30-40M for Power Rangers, $15-20M for Life, and $10-12M for CHiPs this weekend.

Speaking of The Maze Runner, the box office for the third film would be tragic.

Shame about the on set accident that set it back three years. Films were reasonably good, and Dylan O'Brien is bae.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The Maze Runner was too long ago to be all that relevant in terms of online ticket presales.

Well both are considered YA franchises (according to Lionsgate at least) and have a strong dedicated following, so I think it's relevant given that, but yes you are definitely correct that the online ticket presale landscape is not the same from where it was in 2014 to now

Pachimari

I really hope Power Rangers is gonna do well to allow a sequel. What was the budget for the movie?

And will we see its first earnings this weekend, since it premieres across Europe today?

From Thee Generations, CHiPs and Life, the cop comedy was actually the best one.

Life was a huge cliche, it didn't use its premise well, the flubber was boring and the few scares it gave were your typical jump ones. Ending was awesome, too bad the movie wasn't that awesome.

Three Generations was a mess. Really bad mess. Actresses saved it a bit, but it was a full blown shitty propaganda movie which ends up as a romantic comedy. Stupid movie. Elle <3.

CHiPs was awesome if you like 80s politically incorrect humor. I went into the theatre for 0/5 and came out laughing as 3/5. It was funny, ugly, really awful piece of stupendous fun. More of these, please. I don't need those midway politically correct movies, they're not fun.

kswiston

Around $11.5M for Beauty and the Beast on Wednesday.

For comparison, Age of Ultron made $9.4M on its first Wednesday. Civil War made just under $9M, Iron Man 3 made $8.1M, and BvS made $8.1M. If Beauty and the Beast gets the same sort of weekend bump that Age of Ultron received, it would end up over $95M for this weekend. Deadline reported that 11% of K-12 schools are on spring break currently, so that is probably inflating the numbers a bit (I don't actually expect a $95M second weekend). Still, family films typically don't hold so well during the week. The Jungle Book had a $61.5M second weekend off of a Wednesday of $5.9M. The early Friday numbers tomorrow are going to be interesting.

Looking at Beauty and the Beast Worldwide, my $460M WW through Thursday estimate from a couple of days ago is proving to be too conservative. The actual total looks like it will be around $475M by Thursday. I was probably too conservative with this weekend's gross as well. France and Australia are the major additions to the overseas box office. Opening day in France seems to be pretty good. Second highest of 2017 behind 50 Shades Darker, and I would guess that family movies don't play as well on a Wednesday. No clue about Australia, but if it follows the US and the UK it should be huge. I wonder if Beauty and the Beast can top $650M WW this weekend.

kswiston

With a lot of the country out on spring break next week, I imagine that will prop up its mid-week legs quite a bit.

I know that kids typically come down with mass waves of sickness on the day before spring break, but Wednesday seems a bit early to start skipping school to go to the movies.

BumRush

Around $11.5M for Beauty and the Beast on Wednesday.

For comparison, Age of Ultron made $9.4M on its first Wednesday. Civil War made just under $9M, Iron Man 3 made $8.1M, and BvS made $8.1M. If Beauty and the Beast gets the same sort of weekend bump that Age of Ultron received, it would end up over $95M for this weekend. Deadline reported that 11% of K-12 schools are on spring break currently, so that is probably inflating the numbers a bit (I don't actually expect a $95M second weekend). Still, family films typically don't hold so well during the week. The Jungle Book had a $61.5M second weekend off of a Wednesday of $5.9M. The early Friday numbers tomorrow are going to be interesting.

Looking at Beauty and the Beast Worldwide, my $460M WW through Thursday estimate from a couple of days ago is proving to be too conservative. The actual total looks like it will be around $475M by Thursday. I was probably too conservative with this weekend's gross as well. France and Australia are the major additions to the overseas box office. Opening day in France seems to be pretty good. Second highest of 2017 behind 50 Shades Darker, and I would guess that family movies don't play as well on a Wednesday. No clue about Australia, but if it follows the US and the UK it should be huge. I wonder if Beauty and the Beast can top $650M WW this weekend.

Where do you see it ending, if you had to guess: $1.2B?

Where do you see it ending, if you had to guess: $1.2B?

I predicted 1.8 billion but that's a lofty goal that it may not reach, but you never know. ;) But as I've said all along, people have been underestimating from the get go how much money this beast (pun not intended) will bring in when all is said and done.

I still think you're being too conservative. You need to aim higher with your estimates, like I have. :) It looks like it's going to go well past your $475M estimate at this point as well.

kswiston

I predicted 1.8 billion but that's a lofty goal that it may not reach, but you never know. ;) But as I've said all along, people have been underestimating from the get go how much money this beast (pun not intended) will bring in when all is said and done.

I still think you're being too conservative. You need to aim higher with your estimates, like I have. :) It looks like it's going to go well past your $475M estimate at this point as well.

Your $1.8B estimate is crazy talk :p

Weekday grosses overseas have been very strong though. You are right about my numbers being too low, as I forgot to factor in the opening markets (France was $1.8M, Belgium and a few others opened).

Deadline is saying that Beauty and the Beast is at $462M worldwide as of Wednesday. That puts the film on course for $490Mish going into the weekend. A 55% worldwide drop from last weekend would give Beauty and the Beast a total of $650M. There is always the possibility that the drop will be better than 55%, but that is a decent ballpark for well reviewed blockbusters.

People with a lot more expertise in the Japanese box office than I have seem to think that the film has a good shot at $100M there.

Based on the trajectory of Beauty and the Beast vs Civil War so far, $100M in Japan would give the film a realistic path to $1.25B. If BatB can hold better over the next few weeks, it could potentially go higher. I'd say that Civil War numbers are more or less locked on the low end if legs aren't amazing.

It's not getting to $1.8b, I'll promise you that. I don't even think a pitch perfect Lion King could do THAT much. $1.1-1.35b seems like a reasonable range. I'm guessing $1.3b myself but I'd expect it to go under well before I'd expect over.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm gonna say $85-$90m for BatB second weekend. Maybe even higher
Definitely taking that #4 second weekend slot

kswiston

A less than 50% drop would be nuts for Beauty and the Beast.

Kong is opening big in China. First day is looking to be well over $20M

Your $1.8B estimate is crazy talk :p

It's not getting to $1.8b, I'll promise you that. I don't even think a pitch perfect Lion King could do THAT much. $1.1-1.35b seems like a reasonable range. I'm guessing $1.3b myself but I'd expect it to go under well before I'd expect over.

Yeah, it probably won't get there, but I just put that out there because that's not a figure most people would guesstimate. :) What fun is predicting if everyone is conservative and predicts around the same amounts. But who knows, if this thing has legs, anything can happen. ;)

Box office mojo hasn't updated their Australian numbers for over a month now. It's very annoying as there is no other reliable place to get numbers from that I know of. Pretty frustrating as an Australian box office fan.

No clue about Australia, but if it follows the US and the UK it should be huge. I wonder if Beauty and the Beast can top $650M WW this weekend.

It's going to be huge here in Australia. It had more Wednesday early showings than over seen for any movie ever released and st least in my local city they all sold out.

For a bit of fun anecdotal evidence one of my local theatres which has 4 screens was doing 4 pre screenings Wednesday night. They had 3 BATB showings at 7pm and one life showing at 7.15. All of the BATB showings were sold out the day before. The day of life had sold something like 10 tickets. I checked around lunchtime that day and the life screen had been cancelled for another BATB screening which subsequently sold out.

Not

Banned
A HUNDRED AND SEVENTY FUCKING MILLION??!

No hope for destroying toxic gender roles this century, huh

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
A less than 50% drop would be nuts for Beauty and the Beast.

Kong is opening big in China. First day is looking to be well over $20M

Good, good.

I'm hoping for similar results for Ghost in the Shell.

Disregarding previews, the second weekend declines for previous Disney live action remakes in March are

Alice: -44.1%
Oz: -46.5%
Cinderella: -46.7%

Taking Beauty and the Beast's weekend without previews (about $161M), a 46% drop would put the second weekend at $87M. I wouldn't be surprised if it broke $90M though, since WOM does seem stronger than the aforementioned films.

Power Rangers is selling out pretty well for early previews. I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks $4M tonight, and that could lead to a $45-50M weekend, depending on if there's a fan rush factor.

kswiston

Power Rangers made $3.6M in previews.

Kong made an estimated $20.6M (including previews) on its opening day in China. Some places will probably report the total after service fees, which is a bit more than $22M

EDIT: Beauty and the Beast made around $11M on Thursday. That would be about a 19% drop in business from Monday to Thursday. For comparison, Age of Ultron dropped 35%, Iron Man 3 dropped 33%, and Civil War dropped 38% during that same Monday to Thursday period.

EDIT2: Life made $800k in previews.

BumRush

EDIT: Beauty and the Beast made around $11M on Thursday. That would be about a 19% drop in business from Monday to Thursday. For comparison, Age of Ultron dropped 35%, Iron Man 3 dropped 33%, and Civil War dropped 38% during that same Monday to Thursday period.

With the live action division, Marvel, Star Wars and both animation studios, I wonder when Disney attempts anything else big budget (that's not currently heavy into production).

That's 6+ films a year that are $1B potential films.

Vectorman

Banned
With the live action division, Marvel, Star Wars and both animation studios, I wonder when Disney attempts anything else big budget (that's not currently heavy into production).

That's 6+ films a year that are $1B potential films.
My Tron dreams continue to die. Damn you Disney and your low-risk maneuvers. Oh well. Money is money for them.

kswiston

Early Friday numbers from Deadline are $21M for BatB, $14M for Power Rangers, and $5M for Life.

They dont give Friday estimates for Kong, Logan, and CHiPs, but have them at $15M, $11M, and $7.5M respectively this weekend.

legend166

Power Rangers is confusing the heck out of me. I was born in 1988 and loved it until I was about maybe 9, at which age I and everyone else I knew grew out of it. It was very much a little boys show. I remember a kid brought in the flute thing that the green ranger had for show and tell in kindergarten and everyone was really jealous.

Now it's a movie that people are calling YA and it's rated M in Australia (equivalent of PG-13). Did it always hit a higher age demographic in America?

kswiston

Now it's a movie that people are calling YA and it's rated M in Australia (equivalent of PG-13). Did it always hit a higher age demographic in America?

No. The film is aimed at people who were little kids in the 90s, while trying to capture the 12-24 audience that was too young for the original Power Rangers but goes to the movies a lot.

Power Rangers is confusing the heck out of me. I was born in 1988 and loved it until I was about maybe 9, at which age I and everyone else I knew grew out of it. It was very much a little boys show. I remember a kid brought in the flute thing that the green ranger had for show and tell in kindergarten and everyone was really jealous.

Nah. Saban has a Power Rangers for kids. It's the show currently running on Nick.

This was for young adults and adults who grew up on Power Rangers.

I think I'm starting to understand what it's like to be on the other side of the Batman v. Superman debate, because Power Rangers is way better than it has any right to be.

Trainspotting 2 opened up here in Canada today, which I'm fairly certain is a bit later than other places. How's it been doing?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Saw Beauty and the Beast for the 2nd time today, and the theater was litterally sold out, ticket counter stopped selling tickets and all for the 6pm, 8pm and 10pm shows.

Hardly a representation of the world, but still crazy, haven't seen something like that ever.

3N16MA

Banned
Kong is guaranteed 100M+ in China at this point. Perhaps it hits 150M (or close) the same way xXx and RE did. That would put it in Godzilla (2014) territory with Japan and the rest of its run still to go.

Interested to see who takes round 1.

Saw Beauty and the Beast for the 2nd time today, and the theater was litterally sold out, ticket counter stopped selling tickets and all for the 6pm, 8pm and 10pm shows.

Hardly a representation of the world, but still crazy, haven't seen something like that ever.

Star Wars?

HoodWinked

man trying to predict the box office is impossible. the first look on power rangers in entertainment weekly were so fucking atrocious that it seemed impossible that it would do well.

then you have the film life which is the rare horror film with decent reviews, big name actors and its going to bomb. even chips i would have expected to do better as well.

up until now i was thinking that ghost in the shell is going to do well considering how well lucy did and now i have no idea what to think anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom