• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•24-26•17 - Beasteality reigns, wee Life for "Teenagers" with attitude @ BO

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Ghost in the Shell's estimate was $19M as expected. I updated the Weekend estimate list above with percentage drops for the holdovers. Holds were generally good outside of Power Rangers and Life.

EDIT: For the new page

Weekend Studio Estimates

1) The Boss Baby - $49M
2) Beauty and the Beast - $47.5M (-47%) - $395M total
3) Ghost in the Shell - $19.0M
4) Power Rangers - $14.5M (-64%) - $65M total
5) Kong Skull Island - $8.8M (-40%) - $148M total
6) Logan - $6.2M (-40%) - $212M total
7) Get Out - $5.8M (-34%) - $157M total
8) Life - $5.6M (-55%) - $22M total
9) CHiPs - $4.0M (-44%) - $14M total

kswiston

$40M overseas for GitS this weekend for a $59M WW weekend. Exactly the opposite DOM/OS breakdown that Power Rangers had last weekend.

People with toddlers. My 3 year old enjoyed it.

I know...it's tough to relate to others when you don't have a family.
Is this getting a big release? I don't think my theater was playing this movie this weekend.

Edit: Never mind. I'm now seeing a lot of showtimes for it.

kswiston

Is this getting a big release? I don't think my theater was playing this movie this weekend.

What country are you in?

It most certainly played in every city in the US/Canada.

What you have to understand is that Americans have the world's worst taste in animated films.

Looking at the overseas gross for Minions and the Ice Age films, I don't think you can just pin things on Americans.

Slayven

What country are you in?

It most certainly played in every city in the US/Canada.

Looking at the overseas gross for Minions and the Ice Age films, I don't think you can just pin things on Americans.
Ice age shambling corpse always makes me laugh. They ran out of ideas after the second movie but it keeps going cause the movie is that good

Jacce

Banned
What you have to understand is that Americans have the world's worst taste in animated films.
This makes no sense at all. The worst? Hell what country has better taste in animation? I can't even think of one where higher critically received animated films outgross ones who are the top grossers here.

Here the top grossing animated films tend to be highly praised Disney or Pixar films. Overseas they tend to be awful Ice Age films.

Your post doesn't make any sense.

I'll be honest I didn't see much kid appeal in BatB compared to boss baby. Would the kids really care about the extra half hour explaining the Beast's childhood, or why Belle's family fled Paris? Could they even make out a face in Cogsworth because I sure as fuck struggled. Meanwhile you got this talking baby and the story of an older brother struggling to accept a new sibling.

So did reviews of GiTS drive people away could've sworn it was tracking around mid 20s before Thursday.

To be fair isn't BATB's for a general audience?
Edit: Then again it seems adults have a thing for animated movies too.
Predictions were trending down before reviews. Reviews probably didn't help, but people seemed to just not be interested in it. I don't think this gets into upper-mid 20s even with better reviews.

They were cancelling show times at the theater I go to here.

Branduil

This makes no sense at all. The worst? Hell what country has better taste in animation? I can't even think of one where higher critically received animated films outgross ones who are the top grossers here.

Here the top grossing animated films tend to be highly praised Disney or Pixar films. Overseas they tend to be awful Ice Age films.

Your post doesn't make any sense.

It's not just about what animated movies are successful in America, but also what ones will never have any chance of being successful.

If you're a big America-focused studio that only makes CGI cartoons, you'll probably be okay. If you're a smaller European or Asian studio, or you're not working in CGI, or your story isn't family friendly(or worse, all three), you're pretty much DOA in American theaters. Better try your luck elsewhere.

Jacce

Banned
It's not just about what animated movies are successful in America, but also what ones will never have any chance of being successful.

If you're a big America-focused studio that only makes CGI cartoons, you'll probably be okay. If you're a smaller European or Asian studio, or you're not working in CGI, or your story isn't family friendly(or worse, all three), you're pretty much DOA in American theaters. Better try your luck elsewhere.

That doesn't mean America has the worst taste. The top tier Walt Disney Animation and Pixar films each year are pretty universally seen as some of the best animated films released anywhere in the world each year of late, and they tend to top the yearly charts here.

I mean there isn't a single studio that one can say with a straight face that is more consistent than WDA of late. They are at the top of the animation heap in a early 90's style renaissance.

I mean then you have to adapt to the market like American studios have done and continue to do so, or perhaps take a huge risk and hope you can tap into an underserverd market.

kswiston

Do animated films aimed at adults (or at least teenaged audiences and up) really do that well anywhere other than Japan? Ditto for 2D.

I mean, we have had a lot of complaining about Moana only making $400M overseas, but that is already more than any 2D animated film has made outside of the US in the past decade. I would have to check, but that is likely more than any 2D animated film has ever made outside of the US, barring the Lion King and a couple other Disney films.

3N16MA

Banned
Do animated films aimed at adults (or at least teenaged audiences and up) really do that well anywhere other than Japan? Ditto for 2D.

I mean, we have had a lot of complaining about Moana only making $400M overseas, but that is already more than any 2D animated film has made outside of the US in the past decade. I would have to check, but that is likely more than any 2D animated film has ever made outside of the US, barring the Lion King and a couple other Disney films.

The Simpsons Movie is the only one to crack 300M in the last 10 years.

Has power rangers officially bombed?

That budget was too damn high.

How would they have cut that budget anymore and still tried appealing to a mass audience?
Hardly much action till the end as-is.
No ridiculous priced actors
Massive product placement
Not the highest-end CG

I asked in the OT but I legitimately wonder how much a bare minimum salvage as a CW level tv series would cost.
Not that its remotely possible or I even want it but the numbers would be very interesting.

How would they have cut that budget anymore and still tried appealing to a mass audience?
Hardly much action till the end as-is.
No ridiculous priced actors
Massive product placement
Not the highest-end CG

I asked in the OT but I legitimately wonder how much a bare minimum salvage as a CW level tv series would cost.
Not that its remotely possible or I even want it but the numbers would be very interesting.

It already has a tv show

And it's currently really bad

People with very VERY bad taste. If i had kids i would do something else... take them to the zoo or something over watching something so horrid.

Or just...tired parents looking for something to do with the family that's relatively low cost and low effort? Kids to the zoo is an order of magnitude more work.

Boke1879

I imagine the fate of the Power Rangers film franchise lies entirely in how well the toys do.

That's it imo. I feel the PR movie will barely scrap by 100 million. The real test is how well the toys do. The series has been hanging on with TV shows. So it's either getting enough viewership to justify itself or the merch is making up for a lot of it.

I mean they are making new toys and figures all the damn time. This June they are releasing a Soul of Chogokin Megazord this June I believe for $300. It looks amazing. So no doubt collectors will flock to that.

If the merch sells. You'll at least get one more movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom