• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0407-0917 - Baby & the Beast still Going In Style, auds con. to Ghost ScarJo

Status
Not open for further replies.
That moment when you realize a Street Racing series is holding its own against the Avengers and Star Wars
It's time to bring back pod racing and bring on all the Ghost Riders in the MCU.

Or get The Rock to play a former Royal Guard and Hyperion.

caliph95

It's time to bring back pod racing and bring on all the Ghost Riders in the MCU.

Or get The Rock to play a former Royal Guard and Hyperion.
H4WkENa.png

Cross over with Ghost racers and FF when

I'm starting to wonder which studio is gonna disappear - as we know it - first, Paramount or Sony Pictures.

Paramount still has Transformers. Sony still has Spider-Man. It's gonna be close (though I do think Sony will get rid of Rothman before Paramount has any new executive shake-up, so they'll get another chance to turn it around first).

Kart94

Banned
Paramount still has Transformers. Sony still has Spider-Man. It's gonna be close (though I do think Sony will get rid of Rothman before Paramount has any new executive shake-up, so they'll get another chance to turn it around first).

Why Tom Rothman still gets work running studios is baffling.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
http://deadline.com/2017/04/the-fate-of-the-furious-international-box-office-opening-1202069413/

‘Fate Of The Furious’ Gunning Past $430M Overseas; $534M Worldwide For All-Time Opening Records – International Box Office

SATURDAY AM UPDATE: The Fate Of The Furious is not slowing down overseas this weekend — particularly in China where a record-setting debut has helped drive the international box office to $194.8M through Friday. Universal’s eighth installment in the franchise is on track for a $430.4M overseas opening frame and a $534.2M worldwide bow — both new all-time records.

FTF

Are we gonna have another Transformers 4 situation where the film is down domestically but massively up internationally?

No, I don't think massively. I mean F7 did $390m in China and $1.16b os, so I don't think it will go much higher than that. But yes, like Transformers and Pirates, the dom/os split will keep increasing.

Holy shit. Beating star wars opening weekend. That's nuts

To be fair, it looks like if Star Wars had opened in China same weekend like this, it would have beaten it. I wouldn't be shocked if The Last Jedi came close to this record as well (I'd have to imagine that Disney/Lucasfilm is looking at launching more territories the same weekend as well).

Friday Studio Estimates

1) Fate of the Furious - $45.6M
2) the Boss Baby - $6.5M - $107M total
3) Beauty and the Beast - $5.1M - $446M total
4) Smurfs the Lost Village - $2.7M - $21M total
5) Going in Style - $2.1M - $19M total
6) Gifted - $1.1M total
7) Power Rangers - $1.1M - $79M total
8) Get Out - $1.0M - $166M total
9) The Case For Christ - $955k - $7M total
10) Kong Skull Island - $910k - $159M total
11) Ghost in the Shell - $825k - $35M total

Wait, how did GITS fall below Power Rangers? Did it take a huge cut in screens?

kswiston

Wait, how did GITS fall below Power Rangers? Did it take a huge cut in screens?

GITS lost 1300 theatres. Power Rangers lost 800.

Ghost in the Shell collapsed though. It isn't even hitting $200M WW at this point. That 97% drop in China really hurt the overseas momentum.

Kart94

Banned
That poster is unusually invested in the success of the film, despite the evidence piling up that marked it as a flop even before the China collapse.

yeah there is nothing wrong with hoping a movie you like is a success. I myself is hoping Power Rangers would succeed even though i am sure it won't.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Fate of the Furious - $100.2M
2) The Boss Baby - $15.5M (-41%) - $116M total
3) Beauty and the Beast - $13.6M (-42%) - $455M total
4) Smurfs Lost Village - $6.5M (-51%) - $25M
5) Going in Style - $6.4M (-47%) - $23M total
6) Gifted - $3.0M
7) Get Out - $2.9M - $168M total
8) Power Rangers - $2.9M (-54%) - $81M total
9) The Case For Christ - $2.7M (-31%) - $8M total
10) Kong Skull Island - $2.6M (-52%) - $161M total
11) Ghost in the Shell - $2.4M (-67%) - $37M total

3N16MA

Banned
Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Fate of the Furious - $100.2M
2) The Boss Baby - $15.5M (-41%) - $116M total
3) Beauty and the Beast - $13.6M (-42%) - $455M total
4) Smurfs Lost Village - $6.5M (-51%) - $25M
5) Going in Style - $6.4M (-47%) - $23M total
6) Gifted - $3.0M
7) Get Out - $2.9M - $168M total
8) Power Rangers - $2.9M (-54%) - $81M total
9) The Case For Christ - $2.7M (-31%) - $8M total
10) Kong Skull Island - $2.6M (-52%) - $161M total
11) Ghost in the Shell - $2.4M (-67%) - $37M total

Get Out, Power Rangers, and Kong finished ahead of GitS.

Kicking the dead.

I was thinking like the $1 fandango, etc. charges when you buy a ticket online, but that can't be it because that's the money fandango, etc. makes...so yeah, I'm not sure :/

That is exactly it.

http://chinafilminsider.com/china-box-office-records-set-scandal-brews-accounting-rules-change/

Easily as important as the performance of any of these films, while the box office exploded over the weekend, Chinese film officials quietly announced major changes to the national box office reporting system.

From Saturday, January 28 onward, all box office grosses will now include the RMB 3-5 service fee that is charged to consumers for each ticket purchased online.

Such a sweeping change will not only cause headaches for beleaguered number crunchers such as this writer, who will henceforth need to draw box office comparisons between current films and ones released using the old reporting system, it is sure to break the brains of Hollywood studio accountants, because the added box office revenue from the service fees goes directly to third-party ticketing apps and will not be included in their 25 percent revenue-sharing agreement.

As a quick illustration: this past Saturday’s total daily box office hit a record RMB 755 million ($110 million) before taking into account online ticketing service fees, but with fees included, the count would have climbed to RMB 797 million ($116.1 million).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom