• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0407-0917 - Baby & the Beast still Going In Style, auds con. to Ghost ScarJo

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

It'll only make $300m Domestic instead of the $350m the last one made. This is the end of the road for this franchise.

;P

I'm guessing the drop will be close to $100M domestic from the last film.

First day in China was $64M including midnights. $68M with fees. TFA will keep the record I think.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Didn't realize he was so beloved and people wanted to see his last performance.

See You Again

3rd on Billboard's Hot 100 for the year
12 Weeks at 1.

7 was the perfect storm on all fronts. Also, it helped the quality from 6 to 7 was better, than 7 to 8.

For the others in the series since 2Fast2Furious I was there at the midnight or earlier showing.
This was seriously the first one where the trailers just completely turned me off, not even sure if I want to see it in theaters at all.

For the others in the series since 2Fast2Furious I was there at the midnight or earlier showing.
This was seriously the first one where the trailers just completely turned me off, not even sure if I want to see it in theaters at all.

I have only been at the midnight showings for 4-8.

Never bothered seeing Tokyo Drift in theaters at all.

Don't regret a single thing.

$10.4M in domestic Thursday previews for Fate of the Furious.

Furious 7 made $15.7M in previews.
Movietickets percentage and other online signs were pointing towards this. If it has the same preview share as F7, the opening weekend will come it at $98M.

If so, this would be the first time tracking has overprojected a domestic opening since Lego Batman, right? For major openers, that is.

kswiston

Movietickets percentage and other online signs were pointing towards this. If it has the same preview share as F7, the opening weekend will come it at $98M.

If so, this would be the first time tracking has overprojected a domestic opening since Lego Batman, right? For major openers, that is.

I guess it depends if you consider GitS major.

kswiston

Ghost in the Shell dropped 97% Friday to Friday in China. The highest I have ever seen there. Final total in China might not even hit $30M. Last week looked like $40-50M total.

Branduil

Ghost in the Shell dropped 97% Friday to Friday in China. The highest I have ever seen there. Final total in China might not even hit $30M. Last week looked like $40-50M total.

Wasn't somebody saying something a couple weeks ago about the ScarJo casting actually being for China and they love her there or something?

Wasn't somebody saying something a couple weeks ago about the ScarJo casting actually being for China and they love her there or something?
Somebody was saying GitS was going to make $200 million profit on the back of it being huge in China.

They've since moved on to popping up every once in a while, asking if other films are bombs too and then acting like that is some checkmate moment.

I think the only movies that have survived being the subject of a race/gender issue recently were Dr. Strange and Mad Max, and it happened to Mad Max after the movie was already out cause Miller tricked em into thinking it was a super manly movie

Ghostbusters - bodied
Egypt - bodied
Ghost - bodied

Ridley327

I think the only way that GITS could have done worse at this point was deciding to launch a week before F8, rather than two weeks.

I think the only movies that have survived being the subject of a race/gender issue recently were Dr. Strange and Mad Max, and it happened to Mad Max after the movie was already out cause Miller tricked em into thinking it was a super manly movie

Ghostbusters - bodied
Egypt - bodied
Ghost - bodied
All three in the "wait, you're spending how much?!?!" club, too.

Ghostbusters - bodied
Egypt - bodied
Ghost - bodied

Let's be real, the only one of those three films that was actually hurt by the controversy was Ghostbusters. The other two were already fucked by the much bigger problem of being garbage movies with no appeal to mainstream audiences.

Variety is saying estimates point to a $103 million weekend for F8.

The initial performance was in line with expectations. ”The Fate of the Furious" had been expected to gross at least $100 million for the Easter weekend, which would make it the second-highest launch in ”Fast" franchise history.

Fox's third weekend of animated comedy ”The Boss Baby" was heading for a second-place finish with $15.9 million at 3,743 sites, lifting the surprise hit to $116.7 million. ”The Boss Baby" won the two previous weekends over Disney's blockbuster ”Beauty and the Beast," starring Emma Watson.

”Beauty and the Beast" was a close third with $13.4 million at 3,592 venues. The live-action version of Disney's 1991 animated movie should finish the weekend with a total of $454.4 million in domestic box office.

Would have thought BATB would have bigger legs than what it currently does. Not to say it's doing poorly, just my expectations.

125523533.jpg
a

kswiston

I think the only way that GITS could have done worse at this point was deciding to launch a week before F8, rather than two weeks.

GitS was one weekend behind F8 in China.

We have to wait for the official estimates, but Deadline had GitS at 10th place this Friday domestically, with a 63% drop (which is even worse than it looks since Friday was a holiday).

Kart94

Banned
Let's be real, the only one of those three films that was actually hurt by the controversy was Ghostbusters. The other two were already fucked by the much bigger problem of being garbage movies with no appeal to mainstream audiences.

Ghostbusters 2016 was pretty garbage too though.

firelogic

A lot of stats but the biggest one of all is the projected $534M global opening weekend, surpassing that of The Force Awakens ($529M).
Biggest Opening Weekend Ever.

– The Fate of the Furious is the clear No.1 film in all territories.
– It is the biggest opening day of all films, all time, in 16 territories: Argentina, China, Colombia, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Israel, Lebanon, Malaysia, Middle East, Pakistan, Peru, Portugal, South Africa, U.A.E. and Venezuela.
– It is Universal's biggest opening day of all time in 22 territories, including Argentina, Colombia, Mexico, Germany and India.
– It is the biggest opening of the Fast & Furious franchise in 38 territories, including Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Korea and Mexico.
– China kicked off at midnight on Thursday and set a new record for midnight shows. The opening day box office of $65.6 million (451.6M RMB) has set the record for the biggest single day ever at the Chinese box office. The three-day weekend estimate is $192 million (1.322 RMB), making it the biggest three-day opening of all time in China.
– The Fate of the Furious has already passed the international lifetime totals of The Fast and the Furious ($62.9 million); 2 Fast 2 Furious ($109 million); The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift ($96 million). It will pass Fast & Furious ($197.7 million) today and Furious Five ($401.3) million on Sunday.
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...t-534m-globally-on-sunday#HIbf1JvRkGFDEBFl.99

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates

1) Fate of the Furious - $45.6M
2) the Boss Baby - $6.5M - $107M total
3) Beauty and the Beast - $5.1M - $446M total
4) Smurfs the Lost Village - $2.7M - $21M total
5) Going in Style - $2.1M - $19M total
6) Gifted - $1.1M total
7) Power Rangers - $1.1M - $79M total
8) Get Out - $1.0M - $166M total
9) The Case For Christ - $955k - $7M total
10) Kong Skull Island - $910k - $159M total