• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0407-0917 - Baby & the Beast still Going In Style, auds con. to Ghost ScarJo

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't do a Power Rangers movie and have it not be for kids

That entirely defeats the purpose.
Power Rangers has a decent tv show that sells toys and that is all it is intended for(a show that has nearly been cancelled on multiple occasions).

At Power Rangers' peak popularity the movie aimed at the same audience as the tv series only did 13million opening weekend.

This movie was aimed at a new audience with a bit of nostalgia as well,
And it failed because the mass audience still said "LOL Power Rangers"

kswiston

What are the odds Kong made money?

The studio cut on Kong should be around $200M by this point. That covers its production and a bit more. Home media and TV should be enough to cover marketing and incidentals and turn a bit of a profit.

I think that they could skip a solo Kong sequel and just go into Godzilla vs Kong, but it's positive news for a continued monsterverse.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think that they could skip a solo Kong sequel and just go into Godzilla vs Kong, but it's positive news for a continued monsterverse.

Thats something I am curious about, how they deal with Sequels. I actually dont see any other monster be able to stand on his own unless its Godzilla. At least in the western market, I know that Toho has solomovies for everyone from King Gidorah to Mothra and Gamera. I just dont see this working in the west. I also have no idea how they could pull of a Kong Sequel - There is just no story to be told anymore after he get beat up by Godzilla.

I bet this is what they do. Godzilla II straight into Godzilla vs. Kong (or whatever they end up calling it) The question is what they do after that.

And seriously: Kong needs to get his ass whipped in that Godzilla flick before they team up against whatever giant monster they need to take out to save Earth

Sorta like how Batman flat out beat Superman in BvS. But more severe.

Maybe Kong gets to try shoving a tree down his throat. That's about it.

gamz

Thats something I am curious about, how they deal with Sequels. I actually dont see any other monster be able to stand on his own unless its Godzilla. At least in the western market, I know that Toho has solomovies for everyone from King Gidorah to Mothra and Gamera. I just dont see this working in the west. I also have no idea how they could pull of a Kong Sequel - There is just no story to be told anymore after he get beat up by Godzilla.

Yep. No reason for another Kong sequel. After the next Godzilla go straight to the Zilla Vs Kong.

border

edit: I'm kind of jumping with joy from Power Rangers relatively bombing in that whole 'called it' Schadenfreude way. Also, that ad placement is like 'fuck this movie', so yeah.

Watching Power Rangers whither and die has been strangely satisfying, I will say. That IP just does not work outside of a super-hammy kids' show......on top of that gritty reboots have just become so tiresome.

Schlorgan

tenor.gif

WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!!

aBarreras

Watching Power Rangers whither and die has been strangely satisfying, I will say. That IP just does not work outside of a super-hammy kids' show......on top of that gritty reboots have just become so tiresome.

fuck off both of you, it was a good movie

border

Kong takes place in the 1970's, doesn't it?

And Godzilla is pretty much modern day, right?

How are they even going to bridge a 40+ year time gap like that?

3N16MA

Banned
Kong has now shown his supremacy over Godzilla twice at the box office. Kong gets top billing (Batman) while Godzilla becomes the dead weight (Superman).

Kong takes place in the 1970's, doesn't it?

And Godzilla is pretty much modern day, right?

How are they even going to bridge a 40+ year time gap like that?

What do you mean? They say Kong was still a teenager in Skull Island. The bridge is
John Goodman's government agency researching other giant monsters

I'm more interested in what the jar of piss will be.

King Ghidorah's poop sock

kswiston

Tracking for Fate of the Furious going into this weekend is $100-110M domestic and $275-330M overseas, for a $375-440M worldwide weekend.

I think the overseas number is too low, even at the high end. Based on the trajectory of presales in China, a $150M+ weekend there is looking really good. $175-200M isn't impossible.

The film is set to open in 4305 venues, so say goodbye to screens for Power Rangers, GitS, Life, CHiPs. Beauty and the Beast + The Boss Baby should take only light venue drops. The other big March films should take moderate losses.

4,305 theaters would tie Finding Dory for the 13th widest opening of all time, and the widest outside of the summer.

Things do feel... a bit subdued for F8 stateside, though. I'm feeling like it may struggle to hit $100M for the OW. I'll be curious to see if territories outside of China will see a feclineto the levels of 6 or not.

kswiston

I'll be curious to see if territories outside of China will see a feclineto the levels of 6 or not.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if that happens.

Fast 6 made about $720M worldwide outside of China. Given that China looks set to at least match Furious 7's total of $390M, the rest of the world could pull Fast 6 numbers and we'd still get a $1.1B total.

I feel like this year is going to be BatB and Fate of the Furious fighting over second place worldwide, with Despicable Me 3 potentially pulling an upset if Minions didn't cool people on the talking bananas.

After watching the Ragnarok trailer is anyone willing to jump on the Ragnarok over Homecoming bandwagon?

I've been there since day 1.

I think people desperately want to like the Thor character and movies, but just haven't had the opportunity to. If Marvel's solution to that is to let Taika Watiti go ham in a space-faring, 80's throwback road trip film then I'm all for it.

After watching the Ragnarok trailer is anyone willing to jump on the Ragnarok over Homecoming bandwagon?

It's hard to predict. I think Thor will see a significant bump from the previous film. At the same time Spider-Man is arguably the most popular superhero and the film also features iron man who up to this point has been box office gold. It also depends how much the poorly received amazing spider man plays into things and also how audiences are willing to accept yet another rebooted Spider-Man.

Potentially I see the film doing a billion plus (even though it's unlikely) but I could also see it doing a few hundred million yes. If it finishes somewhere around 700-800 million WW than I think Thor has a good shot at beating it.

I've playfully entertained it before, but watching that trailer: yeah, I think there is a good chance it will pass Homecoming, which is basically playing defense after AMS2 anyway.

I mean, do we really expect Homecoming to hit that 800-1b+ mark, whereas Thor 3 is coming from the intensely mediocre ... uh what happened? My memory just... from which it really can only go up in terms of quality?

I recently watched the original GitS as I have been anticipating the movie. Bad reviews don't usually dissuade me, but I decided I'd just leave off with the original after all.

It's fantastic, by the way.

Penguin

I'll bet $800m/75% RT for Homecoming, $900m/86% RT for Ragnarok.

o_O

900m would make Thor Ragnarok one of the highest grossing solo comic book films ever...

And I just don't think there's enough interest there. I can see it doing better than The Dark World, but not gonna guess more than 750 and that's being generous I think

I would have had those switched before I saw the Ragnarok trailer.

There's a little movie coming out two weeks after Ragnarok that might have some affect on it's legs a bit.

I will personally hold off thinking that movie will do all kinds of wacky numbers for a bit.

BumRush

On the JL vs. Thor front, the Thor trailer is the antithesis of the JL trailer (and all DCEU films to date, really), which I'm sure is intentional. Marvel knows people want to have *fun* when they go to the movies, and they dialed up that aspect to 11 in the trailer.

Jacce

Banned

I would have had those switched before I saw the Ragnarok trailer.

There is no chance Thor does 900 mil. That will be bigger than most Iron Man movies. That is insane.

And it's legs will be cut short thanks to Justice League just two weeks later.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I've been there since day 1.

I think people desperately want to like the Thor character and movies, but just haven't had the opportunity to. If Marvel's solution to that is to let Taika Watiti go ham in a space-faring, 80's throwback road trip film then I'm all for it.

I'm here for it too.

Magwik

Banned
What do you have against fun and a good movie?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There is no chance Thor does 900 mil. That will be bigger than most Iron Man movies. That is insane.

And it's legs will be cut short thanks to Justice League just two weeks later.

Will it though? The Wonder Woman movie is tracking low right now. With JL being next, people might not want to watch it that much.

Schlorgan

Will it though? The Wonder Woman movie is tracking low right now. With JL being next, people might not want to watch it that much.
Wonder Woman's opening tracking is on par with most recent solo superhero films, but positive or negative, WW's reception will have a tangible impact on JL.

Schlorgan

Worldwide it seems to be Fantastic Four, which was directed by Tim Story. So yeah, Fate of the Furious will easily top that.
That was 2005, so that's been a long time coming.

Gray will destroy that record too; F4's worldwide gross was $330m.

Jacce

Banned

It's not like Thors legs will be cut off. But you have to have AMAZING legs to do 900 mil. Not just good or great, but massive Avengers/Iron Man style opening and then unbelievable legs. Even JL just doing solid not amazing would make that incredibly difficult.

Only 4 of 14 Marvel Cinematic Universe have grossed over 900 million. Avengers, Avengers Age of Ultron, Civil War, and Iron Man 3.

Saying Thor will do these sort of numbers is just not realistic, even if Ragnorak is extremely well received. Even GOTG fell over 130 mil short of that.

Jezan

I don't know why people are surprised to discover that Power Rangers really doesn't have an appeal beyond the nostalgia.
Because everyone and their mom was trying to justify a "serious" Power Rangers movie, except only the last few minutes were Rangerish. Hopefully for the next ones (if they go on with the plan) they actually do more fight scenes and less drama now that the characters are established.

BumRush

It's not like Thors legs will be cut off. But you have to have AMAZING legs to do 900 mil. Not just good or great, but massive Avengers/Iron Man style opening and then unbelievable legs. Even JL just doing solid not amazing would make that incredibly difficult.

Only 4 of 14 Marvel Cinematic Universe have grossed over 900 million. Avengers, Avengers Age of Ultron, Civil War, and Iron Man 3.

Saying Thor will do these sort of numbers is just not realistic, even if Ragnorak is extremely well received. Even GOTG fell over 130 mil short of that.

I think GotG2 does ~$800-900M but I don't see Thor 3 doing $900M.

3N16MA

Banned
Homecoming also has competition the very next weekend in War for the planet of the Apes. DM3 will also be in its second weekend during the OW of Homecoming. Dunkirk opens two weeks after Homecoming.

I still think there's going to be an aspect of "a rising tide lifts all boats" with some of these packed back-to-back weekends. More people at the box-office is a good thing, generally, so long as your film doesn't have shit word of mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom