• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•23-25•17 - Transformers snore than meets the eye, Woman keeps up with Cars

Falchion

I feel like The Last Knight was always banking on the overseas box office. I'll probably get around to seeing it this week.

UCBooties

He's not famous anymore.

i-imgur-com-kxh3lgp.gif

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Yup, God Particle, in October. Was first announced in 2012, and seems to be a similar situation as 10 Cloverfield Lane (a film that got repurposed as an entry in the "Cloverfield universe").
The "Cloverfield" part was the worst part of that film. Let's hope they don't add too much to God Particle and keep it mostly self-contained.

kswiston

So what are the odds WW surpasses GotG2 domestically? It’s only like 60 mil behind and has been out a month less time, and it made $25 mil this week to GotG2’s $3 mil.

Would be a massive feat if it did, imo.

It's not about what each film did this weekend. It comes down to whether WW can close the gap. GOTG2's 4th weekend was Memorial Day weekend. So, it was sitting at just over $340M after that holiday weekend. Wonder Woman will be sitting at ~$321M after this Monday.

So it will be a question of whether Wonder Woman can make up the $19M gap.

It has a good shot now, assuming that it doesn't take too big a hit in the next two weeks. If GotG2 collapses in the next two weeks, things will be easier.

Glad all these piece of crap movies aren't getting the attention you'd normally expect during the summer popcorn flick shiet show.

Cars, Transformers, Pirates, and Mummy tanking in the states is very refreshing.

Normally you'd see one or two maybe do underwhelming but to see all of them turn into busts is awesome.

kswiston

My birthday is in the first week of March, so I often have something interesting coming out that weekend. Logan this past year. Also a lot of Snyder films and John Carter. So it's a mixed bag, but there's always something.

I feel bad for people who are born during the second week of September. The best that they can hope for is something like Shoot 'Em Up.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Glad all these piece of crap movies aren't getting the attention you'd normally expect during the summer popcorn flick shiet show.

Cars, Transformers, Pirates, and Mummy tanking in the states is very refreshing.

Normally you'd see one or two maybe do underwhelming but to see all of them turn into busts is awesome.

Thankfully, international numbers saved Pirates. It was great and I want another.

Schlorgan

I have Jurassic World 2 for my birthday next year and Incredibiles 2 the year after that.

T5 this year but there's no way I'm seeing it.

Toa TAK

Banned
I enjoyed Pirates 5 too. If they release another one, they have to make sure its received better than this one.

Just like Transformers?

I enjoyed the latest Pirates, too, but let's not kid ourselves. They'll just churn out the next one and I doubt it'll be any better.

Bizazedo

As a Transformers fan, I am so pissed at the writer of this movie. I am trying to decide if it was better or worse than Revenge of the Fallen. It actually made me laugh that one of the few bits of continuity it had was the pyramid still being damaged from Revenge.

Damn it.

As crazy as it sounds, I hope they don't get cold feet on the Bumblebee spin-off. There's solid talent attached to the project and it'd be something other than Mr. Bay handling it after a decade.

Busty

Banned
The last time Paramount had a film make more than $200m at the US box office was the last Transformers film in 2014 which pulled in $245m. The last time they had a film make more than $500m at the global box office was the last Mission: Impossible film two years ago.

Last Knight should still do $500m+ worldwide but it won't make more than $200m in the US which I suspect the studio was counting on even with it's decreasing grosses.

With the new TF cratering where is the studio going to find it's next franchise given that most of what it does have (Trek, Turtles and M:I) are either dead or getting long in the tooth? Surely a worrying time for everyone on the Melrose Lot.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The last time Paramount had a film make more than $200m at the US box office was the last Transformers film in 2014 which pulled in $245m. The last time they had a film make more than $500m at the global box office was the last Mission: Impossible film two years ago.

Last Knight should still do $500m+ worldwide but it won't make more than $200m in the US which I suspect the studio was counting on even with it's decreasing grosses.

With the new TF cratering where is the studio going to find it's next franchise given that most of what it does have (Trek, Turtles and M:I) are either dead or getting long in the tooth?

Turtles is obviously done for a while and Trek is questionable (the next one with Chris Hemsworth would go either way).

But M:I isn't dead or long in the tooth so I'm not sure where you got that one.

kswiston

It will take Paramount until November for their 2017 slate to cumulatively make as much as Beauty and the Beast in the domestic market.

They have already released 6 films this year with a combined budget of over $625M. All of those films are looking at $330-350M domestic combined when Transformers finishes up.

EDIT: I think that I had a record number of duplicated words in the original version of this post. I need to take 30 seconds to proofread before hitting the post button!

Ithil

So that's Pirates and Transformers both out of steam, it appears. Big drops from previous entries, in spite of ever enormous budgets. These franchises have been going on too long without much evolution.

FoneBone

With the new TF cratering where is the studio going to find it's next franchise given that most of what it does have (Trek, Turtles and M:I) are either dead or getting long in the tooth? Surely a worrying time for everyone on the Melrose Lot.
I'm betting they double down on other Hasbro properties, starting with a GI Joe reboot, simply because they have nothing else. I expect that we'll see word on a Trek reboot/relaunch before too long as well.

jrush64

Banned
Just like Transformers?

I enjoyed the latest Pirates, too, but let's not kid ourselves. They'll just churn out the next one and I doubt it'll be any better.

Transformers has never had a movie as good as Pirates 1. Pirates has the better track record in good movies. I'm optimistic they'll do better for the next Pirates movie if there is one.

kswiston

So that's Pirates and Transformers both out of steam, it appears. Big drops from previous entries, in spite of ever enormous budgets. These franchises have been going on too long without much evolution.

Hollywood sort of backed themselves into a corner in the past decade or two. Animated films are basically the only segment where you can do something original on a large budget and expect success. Two live action films this decade have crossed $700M without either being a sequel, Disney live-action fairy tale, or part of an established (usually superhero) cinematic universe. The two exceptions are Gravity and Inception. Dropping the cut off to $600M gives you 4 more: The Hunger Games, Interstellar, The Martian, and Life of Pi.

That's 6 films of the 75 that have hit $600M+ since 2010. Audiences want something familiar (or from one of the big animation studios). At the same time, audiences get bored of the same stuff.

So studios are burning through the 00s franchise explosion, but are having a tough time coming up with replacements.

Busty

Banned
It will take Paramount until November for their 2017 slate to cumulatively make as much as Beauty and the Beast in the domestic market.

They have already released 6 films this year with a combined budget of over $625M. All of those films are looking at $330-350M domestic combined when Transformers finishes up.

That is absolutely insane. At this point I have to think that the gulf between the likes of Sony/Paramount and Warners or Universal, never mind runaway market leader Disney, is probably ground that cannot be made up given the way the current studio system is working.

Even without the various sale/merger rumours surrounding Paramount and SPE it could take a bottomless pit of money and a well over five years for these studios to really start competing with Disney or WB in terms of marketshare. And again that''s assuming that Disney and WB don't further their lead over them.

Turtles is obviously done for a while and Trek is questionable (the next one with Chris Hemsworth would go either way).

But M:I isn't dead or long in the tooth so I'm not sure where you got that one.

I doubt we see another Trek film with Pine and Co given how poorly Beyond did and while M:I is still raking it in as a franchise Cruise is 55 this year and I'm not sure how many sequels he has in him. And by 'in him' I mean how eager the audience is to see Cruise still doing this stuff in his sixties, Mr Crusie could of course go on indefinitely.

I'm betting they double down on other Hasbro properties, starting with a GI Joe reboot, simply because they have nothing else. I expect that we'll see word on a Trek reboot/relaunch before too long as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new CBS Trek series (regardless of quality) puts the separate Trek films in dry dock for a while. Unlike Disney and WB the Trek film and TV series are handled by two different companies meaning that they won't be able to have a Marvel or DCU style film/tv universe.

Anth0ny

Both remnants from a bygone era where shitty movies (critically) could still make big money at the box office.

RT is too powerful these days. Word gets out so fast about how amazing/horrible a movie is and it can and will obliterate a movie's box office now.

Alternatively, positive word of mouth can do AMAZING things for a movie that, on the surface, doesn't seem like a sure thing at the box office. Look no further than Wonder Woman, which is about to outgross Batman v Superman at the domestic box office.

You can't pull Transformers shit anymore. There's too many good movies out there for people to waste their time and money on bullshit.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I doubt we see another Trek film with Pine and Co given how poorly Beyond did

Nah, there will be another. Beyond disappointed at the box office a bit but they're not going to cancel the already announced Trek 4 with Chris Hemsworth starring alongside Chris Pine.

Busty

Banned
Nah, there will be another. Beyond disappointed at the box office a bit but they're not going to cancel the already announced Trek 4 with Chris Hemsworth starring alongside Chris Pine.

A film with no director and no release date? There's nothing to 'cancel' as you put it, there's simply not a film far enough along, at this moment in time, to even discuss.

Top Bottom