• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I hope Dark Tower doesn't hurt Idris' leading man potential going forward. He hasn't been getting a lot of visible face time recently. Even with Ragnarok, you can tell he's in it for like 30 seconds.

I'm extremely worried about this actually. Thankfully, The Mountain Between Us looks pretty damn good.

Prompto

Banned
When Thor Ragnorok does 800 million worldwide and everyone suddenly loves Thor finally, Paramount will re-announce that Hemsworth/Chris Pine Star Trek movie and fast track it

Yeah, it's like ACIV: Black Flag

But not boring.

How dare you!

tumblr_mkvinlVpF41r7cwf3o1_500.gif

I just Googled Star Trek 4 to see what's up and all the hits are just interviewers constantly asking Zachary Quinto about it and him going "Look I don't know anything either, stop asking".

Stage On

I was going to mention this too. Ultron, Iron Man 3 and Civil War all made 80-85% of their money in the first 17 days and these movies are going to get more frontloaded, not less. I don't see a problem with a Star Wars movie coming a month after big MCU stuff.

Yeah sure they might be mostly front loaded buy why risk cutting your legs off? Even if "only" costs you 20% of what it could have made that's still a hell of a lot of money to lose out on, especially when you factor in how expensive these movies are to make in the first place.

Not to mention they risk fatiguing the audience. Imagine they hadn't moved back the last Jedi, it would have been coming out the same month as Guardian's 2 and then you'd have 2 big space action movies in the same month. Some people might get their fill with the first movie and skip the second one because it's too soon for them to be hungry for more.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah sure they might be mostly front loaded buy why risk cutting your legs off? Even if "only" costs you 20% of what it could have made that's still a hell of a lot of money to lose out on, especially when you factor in how expensive these movies are to make in the first place.

Not to mention they risk fatiguing the audience. Imagine they hadn't moved back the last Jedi, it would have been coming out the same month as Guardian's 2 and then you'd have 2 big space action movies in the same month. Some people might get their fill with the first movie and skip the second one because it's too soon for them to be hungry for more.

I think you're overestimating the risk and also underestimating the demo overlap between Frozen and Star Wars for that matter. They're both family movies and Rey is positioned like a Disney Princess herself. I wouldn't call that counter programming.

We know the summer box office can support multiple big blockbusters. I don't see any reason to think Guardians 2 and Episode 8 couldn't coexist in the market.

Cvie

It's not going to cost them 20%, people don't just completely stop seeing one film when the next one comes out.

Pachimari

I really kinda want to see Valerian in the cinema. It looks so good based on the trailers, and I know it's not supposed to be, but at least it looks like a visual treat.

I really kinda want to see Valerian in the cinema. It looks so good based on the trailers, and I know it's not supposed to be, but at least it looks like a visual treat.

Same here. My wife is a sucker for big, bright, silly sci-fi epics as well. Perhaps a weekend matinee is in order.

My girlfriend saw Valerian with friends and hated it seemingly as much as she hated Phantom Menace, a movie she refuses to even say the name of, so I think I'll pass.

Stage On

I think you're overestimating the risk and also underestimating the demo overlap between Frozen and Star Wars for that matter. They're both family movies and Rey is positioned like a Disney Princess herself. I wouldn't call that counter programming.

We know the summer box office can support multiple big blockbusters. I don't see any reason to think Guardians 2 and Episode 8 couldn't coexist in the market.

About that....

Star wars The force awakens opening weekend
Men made up the bulk of ticket buyers, comprising 58% of the opening weekend audience, and despite the franchise having been bought out by the kid-orientated Disney, adults represented 71% of the crowd with families only accounting for 20% of consumers.

Frozen Opening weekend
Kids between the ages of 2 and 11 made up the largest percentage of the audience (38 percent), while families overall made up 81 percent. The movie skewed female, although males made up a healthy 43 percent of ticket buyers, according to Disney.

As for Guardians and Star wars they could co-exist but being in the same genre they would cannibalize sales off each other if they where both released together in the same month making less money overall then if you released them further apart from each other.

Saying "great visuals" is all Valerian has going for it is the definition of reductive. It makes it sound like the filmmakers just poured three cups of money into a large bowl of CGI and the film came out.

Yeah, Idris always seem more popular on the internet then he was IRL. But then again it always came off because he was only black actor people knew. MBJ kinda of taken that over now
I know some people that still drool over Idris, and a few that will see a film just to get wet over MBJ.

GhaleonEB

Shade grown coffee makes sense though.

Shade grown coffee insinuates that they plantation retained some mixed-canopy forest, allowing for more plant and animal diversity to be retained on land that was once tropical forest. The non-shade grown kind was grown in a monoculture on clear-cut land.

I understand that. I read the bit on the site, which is what I was responding to. I was imagining the perspective of someone whose job it is to sell cups of coffee at a coffee shop getting asked if the coffee was grown in the shade or not. Of all the questions to be asked at random, that strikes me as one that might seem strange at first blush. Thus my post.

Yeah, Idris always seem more popular on the internet then he was IRL. But then again it always came off as he was the only black actor people knew. MBJ kinda of taken that over now

Well i absolutely think Idirs could've been built into a box office draw in the vein of Denzel. He just was never really given a shot to be that. And now it's like they're just randomly putting him in things with no rhyme or reason.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
About that....

Star wars The force awakens opening weekend

Frozen Opening weekend

Opening weekend...

Disney's own demo numbers for Force Awakens had the audience as 42% families.

As for Guardians and Star wars they could co-exist but being in the same genre they would cannibalize sales off each other if they where both released together in the same month making less money overall then if you released them further apart from each other.

Generally speaking, people watch what they want to watch regardless of competition. I can't imagine too many people skipping Episode 8 or Guardians 2 with the rational that both are space action movies.

berzeli

Banned
What is up with the budget numbers for Valerian? Mojo now says $177.2 million.
Like is that another really weird currency conversion (150 million €?)? Did they take some tax rebates into account? Is this a follow on from that weird Forbes contributor article which said that "documents he had seen" shown that the budget was $180 million?

The lowest I've seen the budget being reported in French media is "above 180 million €" (though I haven't exactly scoured through all of the French media). Then again, Screendaily is going with 180 million $, and they are pretty good.

Dammit, it is much easier to find this stuff when productions are forced to disclose their budget in order to get tax rebates/other subsidies.
But that script. Come on man someone had to have some common sense in this deal. Lucy was 40m lol. This film was 200m. You never go 200m unless you are damn sure of what you are doing.
I don't know if they showed investors the script. And a script isn't always that indicative of whether or not a film is good or successful.
fake edit: Found the answer
How did the distributors come on board?

What I did was very simple. Two years ago, I went to Cannes and asked all the distributors from around the world to come in for a presentation. Dane and Cara joined me on stage and I showed something like 60 or 70 drawings, explaining the details of the different aliens and the concept for the film.

Then they went into a room and had two hours to read the script and make a proposal if they were interested. We got the immediate backing of some 140 distributors and locked down financing in one day.

Why do you think independent distributors were so hungry for this production?

Unless you’re Disney and Warner Bros, most distributors just watch these big films passing by. But for nearly 30 years, I’ve been bringing films like Leon [aka The Professional], Nikita and Lucy to the market, and this in turn has created good relations with the distributors who like the fact that once in a while they have access to something of this calibre.

Lima

Like expected then. Besson used all his credit he had in Hollywood to make this movie and now it bombed he won't get anywhere near that anytime soon.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Have we had examples of the inverse of that happening?

Like was Speed Racer despised when it came out, but now is considered a cinematic masterpiece?

I wasn't here when Speed Racer dropped but I get the sense that the film's cheering section (of which I'm kinda/sorta a member) was a somewhat late thing.
The cult of Speed Racer was being built from day one.
http://sergioleoneifr.blogspot.com/2008/05/days-of-speed-racer.html

I remember threads on GAF and movie forums full of praise for it, despite the overwhelmingly negative reviews.

berzeli

Banned
Like expected then. Besson used all his credit he had in Cannes to make this movie and now it bombed he won't get anywhere near that anytime soon.
To be more accurate.

And yeah this will have fucked Europacorp for the foreseeable future. Much in the same vein of how Lionsgate got fucked with Gods of Egypt.

kswiston

$7.38M for Dunkirk and $870k for Wonder Woman on Tuesday. It's crazy that we're still getting early Wonder Woman dailies. Wonder Woman is down 27% from last Tuesday.

Tuesday bumps seem to be more muted this week, but maybe that will lead to better Wednesday holds. Dunkirk was ahead of both War for the Planet of the Apes and Star Trek Beyond on its first Tuesday.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I was close to tears watching some of his scenes.

The man found his niche.

tumblr_o68z5w9TPy1rv1d8ho4_500.gif
Hemsworth has always had a great knack for comedy. It's a shame his comedic movies do about as well as his dramatic ones. Ragnarok making 4 billion notwithstanding.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
$7.38M for Dunkirk and $870k for Wonder Woman on Tuesday. It's crazy that we're still getting early Wonder Woman dailies. Wonder Woman is down 27% from last Tuesday.

Tuesday bumps seem to be more muted this week, but maybe that will lead to better Wednesday holds. Dunkirk was ahead of both War for the Planet of the Apes and Star Trek Beyond on its first Tuesday.
WW hitting 400m after this weekend?

Top Bottom