• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•28-30•17 - Nolan not Dun' w/ #1 run, = Atomic

Can't really remember a time when this was not the case.
Fincher's Dragon Tattoo... which Sony then didn't get the amount of profit they were hoping for on and aborted what could have been a great, dark, adult trilogy.

Then they decided the best way to move forward is many years later with a sequel starring none of the original fantastic cast or the renowned director, instead deciding to Amazing Spider-Man the film.

I'm still annoyed we didn't get to see what Zaillian cooked up for the sequel. He was working on that bitch for a long time.

Lima

Dunkirk was alright. It would've been much better without so many worthless plane pew pewing and the cringey patriotic cheese.

Only that the plane action were the best parts of the movie and that cringe patriotic cheese made me tear up. Dat soundtrack

I know we like to shit on Sony but that trailer for Alpha looks pretty good.

Yeah, I have no idea why Sony thought "hey let's get that Rothman guy" would work out.

Any bets on who will likely replace him in a short enough time from now? I can't imagine Kaz looking at this Sony Pictures mess and not considering changing some things.

STOP WATCHING WONDER WOMAN

no_rorschach.gif

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Yeah, I have no idea why Sony thought "hey let's get that Rothman guy" would work out.

Any bets on who will likely replace him in a short enough time from now? I can't imagine Kaz looking at this Sony Pictures mess and not considering changing some things.
They should crowdsource from this thread

AndersK

Was Suicide Squad even "dark"?

EDIT: Oh, and fuck Tom Rothman.

SS was, in no particular order.: Dark, Light, zany, heavy, selfserious, funny, boring, drab, colorful, on-the-nose, horrible, climactic, anticlimactic, Her, sword, steals, the, souls, of, its, victims, unredeemable.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
You remember when there was worry the DC slate was basically going to be Batman + friends? And how Batman would be shoehorned into stuff? I wonder if that now happens with Wonder Woman. Like... it would be funny if she gets put in Suicide Skwad 2 and they just slowly depreciate Batfleck.

WOW Annabelle Creation has surprisingly strong reviews I'm expecting it to do pretty good especially since August movie line up looks pretty barren.

BumRush

Will Dunkirk beat Lego Batman domestic ?

It's so hard to compare because a). they are different genres and b). they released at very different times of the year, but I'd bet on yes. They're at almost the EXACT same number through the second Wednesday (Dunkirk has the slight edge) but Dunkirk's weekday dailies are MUCH higher right now so legs look stronger.

Can't really remember a time when this was not the case.

This post reminds me that I don't often associate movies with what studios they came from, unless they're also part of a mega franchise 'universe.'

Like, I'm sure there have been years when I thought [insert studio here] put out more than two movies I enjoyed, but I don't think of studios as conglomerates with strict QC processes, again unless the aforementioned 'cinematic universes' are in play.

That's kind of depressing. Time to buy more tickets from my local arthouse. :p

Read Hit & Run: How Jon Peters and Peter Gruber took Sony for a Ride in Hollywood.
51zR2S6gQRL.jpg

There's no reason Sony should be making movies other than vanity. They've never had enough success to justify it.

Did make Social Network and Gone Girl, though.

This post reminds me that I don't often associate movies with what studios they came from, unless they're also part of a mega franchise 'universe.'

Like, I'm sure there have been years when I thought [insert studio here] put out more than two movies I enjoyed, but I don't think of studios as conglomerates with strict QC processes, again unless the aforementioned 'cinematic universes' are in play.

I think it might be more pronounced here simply because it's a gaming forum and a lot of people learned how to talk/think about the entertainment they consume from that reference point. Treating studios like autonomous people is a thing that's been a large part of fandom criticism in that area for a lonnnng time. It's an easy shorthand.

CFMOORE!

Read Hit & Run: How Jon Peters and Peter Gruber took Sony for a Ride in Hollywood.
51zR2S6gQRL.jpg

There's no reason Sony should be making movies other than vanity. They've never had enough success to justify it.

Did make Social Network and Gone Girl, though.

Gone Girl was FOX.

Random Human

I gotta read that Hit & Run book, it sounds interesting.

ArmGunar

I hope WW to reach $410M and be ahead Civil War and Iron Man 3 to become the 5th highest grossing CBM ever domestic (behind 2 Avengers and 2 TDK)

Before Justice League coming with its $450M+

I think it might be more pronounced here simply because it's a gaming forum and a lot of people learned how to talk/think about the entertainment they consume from that reference point. Treating studios like autonomous people is a thing that's been a large part of fandom criticism in that area for a lonnnng time. It's an easy shorthand.

I'm certainly guilty of the exact same association when it comes to video games, and have gleefully participated in the memetic battlefields of 'Beta Shed' or 'meanwhile at nintendo.gif' whenever the pattern-matching game of 'why is this bad/why was that good?' springs up.

But it's perhaps weird to me now that I don't organize my knowledge about films the same way. It probably has a lot to do with how films are critiqued as efforts which are collborative but do not erase, and in fact actively market on, the contributions made by stand out individuals. It's easier to predict the quality of a film from previous knowledge of a cinematographer or director or main actor than that whatever latest AAAA title gets pooped out of EA's assembly line. Like, who even knows the hands that touched that and where they've been.

Maybe that's unfair to games, but I just found it interesting how marketing conventions across industries (Sony straddles both!) let me think about widely distributed consumer goods in different ways.

El Topo

I mean, it's Shazam. What else were you going to do with it?

Billy Batson witnesses the brutal murder of his parents. Orphaned, broken, all alone* in the world, the wizard Shazam chooses him to right this dark, twisted, horrible world that let all this misery happen to poor Billy. Thanks to the power granted by Shazam, Billy starts to enact revenge on criminals, on the search for those that butchered his parents.

*His sister doesn't exist in this universe. Or heck, add her to the death toll.

I'm curious to see what happens with the industry if Darabont & Stallone manage to pull back the covers on the fuckery everyone can see happening under the sheets of Hollywood Accounting.

Because a lot of how things get made & sold depends on that accounting making sure people don't get rightfully paid.

Good. I hope they get nailed.

They were doing these kinds of things before they even *were* Warner Bros. I don't know if this is where the practice started, but National Periodicals (which is basically the root of what is modern day WB) used the same tricks to screw Seigel and Schuster out of Superman profits in the 1940s.

This shit pisses me off no end.

*His sister doesn't exist in this universe. Or heck, add her to the death toll.

She can be a CIA spy who gets shot in the face.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm curious to see what happens with the industry if Darabont & Stallone manage to pull back the covers on the fuckery everyone can see happening under the sheets of Hollywood Accounting.

Because a lot of how things get made & sold depends on that accounting making sure people don't get rightfully paid.
Whats happening there?

They will settle with Darabont and Stallone for tens of millions of dollars before they allow Hollywood accounting to die.

That's good. How about this: His parents die, he is sent to live with his sister and the moment he arrives she is shot in the face by ...uh....some goon.

Cut to retro soundtrack and "colorful" goons as the bad guys. Make one of them trashy-sexy.

Twist:
That's actually his sister Mary, who didn't die but turned evil-crazy instead.

This is really too easy.

PS: I am a pretty big Captain Marvel/Marvel Family fan, and Johns New 52 version really pissed me off.

El Topo

Cut to retro soundtrack and "colorful" goons as the bad guys. Make one of them trashy-sexy.

Twist:
That's actually his sister Mary, who didn't die but turned evil-crazy instead.

This is really too easy.

PS: I am a pretty big Captain Marvel/Marvel Family fan, and Johns New 52 version really pissed me off.

But wait, there comes another twist:
Mary actually killed her parents, planning for Shazam to choose Billy so she could, uh, whatever, uh, take his...powers? Use him for evil?

Top Bottom