• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•22-24•17 - Return of the Kingsman, IT floats down a spot, Ninjago blocked

Forgot that American Made comes out this weekend, which is amazing because the trailer's been in front of every movie I've seen since Mummy.

Slayven

Forgot that American Made comes out this weekend, which is amazing because the trailer's been in front of every movie I've seen since Mummy.

The premise rubs me the wrong way.

Look at this wacky guy help start one of the worse epidemics of all time.

I know it is a "true story" but still

EGM1966

It wasn't in 1973, since the film came out December 26th. That was just the rentals for the initial run, however long that ended up being. Probably mostly in 1974.

Most big films had frequent re-issues during that period though. VHS didn't hit the US until 1978.

The Exorcist was huge, no doubt. Bigger for its time than IT. I just have an issue with people taking the mojo figures at face value. They are even more problematic for films in the 30s-60s. At least 1973 was approaching the modern age of box office.
Just to chime back in my original point was that a) people should use available information - such as boxoffice mojo - with common sense understanding its flaws along with other intel and if they do it's obvious that many supposed "record breakers" really aren't and that b) conversely to the bolded people should realize that saying a film in 2017 is the biggest grossing of all time in a genre based purely on revenue based on currency value now is meaningless PR and not take it at face value either.

TBH the correct position would be for film studios to stop with the whole "record breaker" PR angle when the data isn't there to back the claim. Or at least identify a line in the sand where intel is solid and say "biggest horror film since tracking in 1985".

Anyone fairly versed in the industry knows films like The Exorcist where such huge outliers it's likely many, many years before anything will have a chance of topping them.

Preferably though I'd like them to stop with the whole inane and incorrect practice as I
find it detracts from a great performance like IT's by trying to artificially make it even better and drawing attention to the fact it didn't really break the claimed records if you weight the comparison properly.

That said I guess each generation loves to feel it's produced the best films, music or whatever and glosses over any such issues with direct comparison.

On another note finally saw IT. Liked it but as with the novel I found the kids themselves and the build up worked much better than the finale which just doesn't satisfy (me at any rate).

Miles X

Saturday
Kingsman - $14.67m
IT - $13.4m

Sunday
Kingsman - $9.07m
IT - $7.26m

If American Made debuts to around $16m like predicted, and Kingsmans legs aren't great, IT has a shot at reclaiming #1.

IT needs a 40% drop (like Spideys, War of Apes, Wonder Woman and GotG 2's 4th weekend) and Kingsman needs a 55% drop which is entirely realistic.

I don't mind "highest grossing ever" even if inflation makes that number sketchy. It's useful enough for marketing-speak (which is all it is) and gets across the same basic meaning.

Just saw Logan Lucky. That movie deserved better grosses. Redneck Oceans Eleven is right, but the movie was really sweet and good natured in the end.

Just saw Logan Lucky. That movie deserved better grosses. Redneck Oceans Eleven is right, but the movie was really sweet and good natured in the end.

Gotta be my favorite adam driver performance. And man that country roads scene was really nice. Tbh I liked it even more than oceans eleven

It reminded me a bit of king of the hill

snap

Banned

that analogy fits real well. like ocean's eleven,
the last minute reveal of the "actual" trick is a bit silly when you think a little deeper about it--only really makes sense if one of the characters could see the future and know exactly what they needed to do to make everything work.

That country roads scene in LL had nothing on the one in the new Kingsman bruv.

yeah but the kingsman one was cheap; they went out of their way to make that happen whereas the LL one felt fitting for how the plot was going and the themes of that movie.

maybe the main takeaway from kingsman ii, they had some heartbreaking moments/plot points that ended up being complete misfires and not having the emotional impact they should've had.

That country roads scene in LL had nothing on the one in the new Kingsman bruv.
I don’t trust Vaughn to deliver anything resembling an honest emotional moment like the scene in Logan Lucky.
And the fact that the Logan Lucky scene was set up in the first scene made the payoff worth it.

Kingsman has a Country Roads scene? That seems kinda weird to have that song featured in a British vibe movie isn't it? The song is about the rural American countryside

I mean there is rural areas everywhere of course but the whole song feels very very American to me

Shaanyboi

Banned
Kingsman has a Country Roads scene? That seems kinda weird to have that song featured in a British vibe movie isn't it? The song is about the rural American countryside

I mean there is rural areas everywhere of course but the whole song feels very very American to me
I mean the point of the sequel is that the British operatives are meeting up with the Americans

Lima

Statesman bro

I mean the point of the sequel is that the British operatives are meeting up with the Americans

Ah I know nothing about the movie and never saw the original either.

But if that's the plot then I could see how it makes sense then. I thought the whole thing was British / England focused

ZeroX03

Banned

The premise rubs me the wrong way.

Look at this wacky guy help start one of the worse epidemics of all time.

I know it is a "true story" but still

It came out here like a month ago. It’s a weird movie. Probably not worth your time. Weird structure. It’s basically charming Tom Cruise does something bad, he narrowly avoids going down for it, then goes and does something worse. Repeat for two hours. It’s no Breaking Bad. Expected more from Liman and that creative team.

This is something you should immediately fix.

You HAVE to see the original.

Yeah I've heard lots of good things about the movie. But the truth is I can be kind of a baby when it comes to gore / violence in movies and I've heard that the Kingsman movies are crazy violent. It's weird because video game violence doesn't phase me one bit but movies can make me squeamish

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm glad IT stayed in September. Too many movies find success in an "off" month and then try to cram themselves in summer.

Kingsman 2 is messy. Fox might as well try to rake in a bunch of money on video with Vaughn's Extended Cut. If dude overshot by over an hour, why not make money off that?

Hmm, Wonder Woman is now past the 3.99x multiplier, does it still have legs to get it to 4.00x?

The last real hurdle to overcome. It needs to clear about $1.2m or so to get there.
If it drops 50% for the full week it will pull in about $445k or so, then just going down from there. It being available on disc and digital will definitely hamper the box office right now.

If it gets to 4x, it is going to crawl there. It would be very cool to see a modern comic film do that though.

The last real hurdle to overcome. It needs to clear about $1.2m or so to get there.
If it drops 50% for the full week it will pull in about $445k or so, then just going down from there. It being available on disc and digital will definitely hamper the box office right now.

If it gets to 4x, it is going to crawl there. It would be very cool to see a modern comic film do that though.

$1.2m? I compute $1.02m.

GhaleonEB

It needs $1,015,394.

The last two weekly takes (full weeks) were $921,158 and $889,911. I'm guessing it gets there in 3 weeks, which bakes in some second run theater drops.

WOoop. Happy for Kingsman2. Ignore the reviews. Movie is a lot of fun. Go see it.

Fun comic-bookesque cheeky superhero/spy movie. Great action too.

Miles X

Shame Box Office Mojo doesn't have a chart for multipliers (for wide releases).

I'm sure Wonder Woman would be top 10, what other films have had super legs that went wide first week?

*gulp* I just looked up Titanics legs!

Shame Box Office Mojo doesn't have a chart for multipliers (for wide releases).

I'm sure Wonder Woman would be top 10, what other films have had super legs that went wide first week?

That chart would be heavily skewed to older films. The main reason we talk about it with Wonder Woman is how it is different from most other comic book films this millennium. Hell, the first blade technically had a greater than 4x multiplier based on opening weekend.

Miles X

That chart would be heavily skewed to older films. The main reason we talk about it with Wonder Woman is how it is different from most other comic book films this millennium. Hell, the first blade technically had a greater than 4x multiplier based on opening weekend.

Yeah I just did a quick search, films like Home Alone seem to have a 20x!

Top Bottom