• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•23-25•16 - bomba Ass, Passengers, Sing as audiences continue to go Rogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatti-man

The "two sides" reception of Rogue One and the eventual 'we're over it' backlash to TFA will probably suppress episode VIII greatly, and there is the matter of what will happen to Carrie Fisher. As insensitive as it is to say it, what happens to her will be a big impact on whether people will consider episode 8 in poor taste or not. The marketing is going to have to tip-toe around that, since currently it's one bad news posting and bye-bye consumer engagement (or goodwill, or whatever you want to call it, or it is called within the industry).
They're probably just going to not talk about at all and avoid the topic during the marketing campaign.

Because just talking about it, like I'm doing now, feels insensitive by default.

edit: in my personal, based on nothing, speculation, of course.

Lol nope. 8 will be huge. Dumpster trucks of cash. The haters will have another lemon to suck on as the vast majority loved 7 and atleast liked to loved Rogue One.

kswiston

Hopefully everyone celebrating Christmas had a good day.

There's not going to be a ton to comment on until tomorrow when we get better 3-day estimates and more informed 4-day estimates.

Most of the X-Mas Eve even drops were pretty good. I think that Sony is being a pretty optimistic with their Sunday estimate for Passengers, giving the film a bump over 146% to $6.9M from a $2.8M Saturday. I wouldn't be surprised to see the actual number fall at least $500k short of the estimate.

The Sing numbers look about right given the good Saturday drop. Ditto with Assassins Creed.

EDIT: Also, Those estimates for Rogue One in the OP are classic Deadline. The upper range of their 4-Day total doesn't even make sense off of a $70M 3-day. Monday isn't going to increase close to 50%.

What happened to actors with a bit of character or unique style, like Jeff Goldblum. The guy in Avatar and this guy in Passengers. I don't get this dull everyman just walked out of a coffee shop choice, surely there's people out there but just not getting the break or even going down the acting path. I mean some characters actually make the film and some films are built on the actors character.

EDIT: Also, Those estimates for Rogue One in the OP are classic Deadline. The upper range of their 4-Day total doesn't even make sense off of a $70M 3-day. Monday isn't going to increase close to 50%.

I can't argue the numbers, but Monday is recognized as a holiday as well. That may have something to do with it

kswiston

SURGEdude

I think Passengers is bombimg bc of Pratt
Who likes this guy seriously? He is generic af. When jurassic shit did well, i knew it was bc of dinos, nobody cares about him. Boom, gtfo pratt

Edit: to develop my thoughts a little more, it just makes me sad that Hollywood used to have interesting, great actors such as dustin hoffman, de niro, pacino, etc. As mainstream leads and now there is CHRIST PRATT

fucking hell

Well at least he isn't Jai Courtney.

Penguin

There has been a Farcry film: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_Cry_(film)

Monday is a holiday, but the only films in for near or greater than 50% increases are the children's films. For the rest 10-15% is typical. Maybe a bit more than that.

An Uwe Boll classic!

SIGH

Like I can stomach some of Uwe's stuff like Postal and House of the Dead, but yeah FarCry was too much for me

And I believe Ubisoft has a bunch of movies planned... or did...

Uwe Boll's career is just fascinating, in a way. I know he exploited a loophole in the German tax credit system to keep getting funding for his movies, but how did he keep getting talented, recognizable actors for his movies? He's even got a few A-listers scattered around his filmography. Even Ed Wood was only able to get Bela Lugosi after his downward spiral.

The daily patterns were pretty messed up this year: weaker Friday increases than I would have thought, stronger Christmas Eve holds, and weaker Christmas day increases. We'll see if next weekend can have some big gains or not.

kswiston

The daily patterns were pretty messed up this year: weaker Friday increases than I would have thought, stronger Christmas Eve holds, and weaker Christmas day increases. We'll see if next weekend can have some big gains or not.

Rogue One was the only film with a weak Sunday based on what Rth is posting so far. Assassins Creed was put at $5M off of $2.2M yesterday. Sing is up 77%, which is way higher than most family films from the last two times X-Mas was Sunday.

Chris Pratt is going to be redeemed when GotG2 makes a ridiculous amount of money.

I think he's pretty well insulated until he has to open something entirely on his own. It's hard to pin the blame from Passengers or M7 on him when his costars are even bigger stars than he is.

Though, looking at IMDB, it doesn't look like he has anything upcoming that isn't Marvel or Jurassic World.

kswiston

On one hand, $22.8M on Friday, $15.3M on Saturday, and $25M on Sunday is $63.1M for the 3-Day weekend, which is exactly what I projected for the weekend back on Thursday.

On the other hand, with a slightly bigger Friday, and a significantly bigger Saturday than my projection, I sort of figured that Sunday would be bigger as well.

Maybe Monday's increase will end up being higher than typical.

Chumley

Banned
Just listened to the Fassbender interview on Kermode and Mayo.

He had no idea video game movies have a bad track record and only chose to do AC because the killmoves looked cool in the scenes Ubisoft showed him from the game. And picked Kurzel to direct because he could make the killing look "really visceral".

Maybe letting actors make creative decisions on big movies when they only have the most superficial understanding of the material isn't a good idea.

TheWraith

The "two sides" reception of Rogue One and the eventual 'we're over it' backlash to TFA will probably suppress episode VIII greatly

Backlash against TFA, wait what? In what alternate dimension have I awoken in? There is no backlash to speak of against TFA, the audience in general absolutely loved that movie, some internet forum posters aside.

Backlash against TFA, wait what? In what alternate dimension have I awoken in? There is no backlash to speak of against TFA, the audience in general absolutely loved that movie, some internet forum posters aside.
Some GAFers are convinced the general consensus on TFA has shifted to "garbage-tier, worse than the prequels". Of course, many of the same people also believed that was the initial consensus as well.

Ridley327

Uwe Boll's career is just fascinating, in a way. I know he exploited a loophole in the German tax credit system to keep getting funding for his movies, but how did he keep getting talented, recognizable actors for his movies? He's even got a few A-listers scattered around his filmography. Even Ed Wood was only able to get Bela Lugosi after his downward spiral.

A-listers? Maybe former A-listers, but the actors he's gotten were hardly marquee names when Boll got to them. He simply used a classic B-movie tactic: he got to their agents, talked to them about any gaps in their schedule and promised them that shooting would go on for only so long to make it worth their while.

DeathyBoy

Banned
SIGH

Like I can stomach some of Uwe's stuff like Postal and House of the Dead, but yeah FarCry was too much for me

And I believe Ubisoft has a bunch of movies planned... or did...

People tearing down House of the Dead is amazing. There was fuck all foundation there to start with.

AssCreed bomba...imagine that
mjpls.png

Damn don't do em' like that
skip1.png

Man, that Afflack mobster movie looks Gangster Squad levels bad.

Yesh.

It looks... Generic to say the least

Racket and Clank bombed. Assassin's Creed is bombing. Both were bad. Warcraft was apparently a disappointment, even though profitable. We can stop now. 3 video game turds in a year. Lets take a break, reevaluate, and try again 10 years from now... or we can do a Call of Duty Cinematic Universe. Fuck it. Idris Elba as Captain Price.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Racket and Clank bombed. Assassin's Creed is bombing. Both were bad. Warcraft was apparently a disappointment, even though profitable. We can stop now. 3 video game turds in a year. Lets take a break, reevaluate, and try again 10 years from now... or we can do a Call of Duty Cinematic Universe. Fuck it. Idris Elba as Captain Price.

Tomb Raider is the most duh game-cinematic franchise. It's Indiana Jones with a female lead - that's almost impossible to fuck up.

I think the first good video game movie adaptation will be one that doesn't try to Frankenstein a script together based off the shitty game stories. It'll be one that just does an original script based on the characters and locations. AssCreed could have just been a straight Spanish Inquisition movie and would have been better for it.

Tomb Raider is the most duh game-cinematic franchise. It's Indiana Jones with a female lead - that's almost impossible to fuck up.

Michael Fassbender couldn't save AC, let's hope Alicia Vikander can save TR.

CassSept

But that already happened.

Twice

At least AssCreed had seemingly shown that a proper director and great actors alone won't save video game adaptations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom