• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•23-25•16 - bomba Ass, Passengers, Sing as audiences continue to go Rogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

Video game movies just cannot get itself going. Should be easy with so many comic book movies to use as a reference.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Man, that Afflack mobster movie looks Gangster Squad levels bad.

Yesh.

I don't understand see the Gangster Squad comparison. The book was incredible. the trailer was fine. 'm really looking forward to this.

BumRush

Disney film cranking, and a Sony film bombing. Sums up 2016 pretty well.

Sony really needs to do a complete reevaluation of their film business.

Forkball

They should've just followed Ezio for the AC movie. Everyone likes Ezio and it's a pretty straightforward plot. Maybe dial back on fistfighting the pope though.

Boke1879

The thing is. You have to be just true enough to the source material, but also do your own thing. They have to be self contained in that respect.

I'll be the first to say maybe outside the first RE movie I think the rest aren't good, but it clearly has an audience and they seem to love it. This is what? The 7th movie they'll be making?

firelogic

The thing is. You have to be just true enough to the source material, but also do your own thing. They have to be self contained in that respect.

I'll be the first to say maybe outside the first RE movie I think the rest aren't good, but it clearly has an audience and they seem to love it. This is what? The 7th movie they'll be making?

I'm a fan of the series. Outside of 2 and 3, they've all been fun to watch, especially as they increasingly get more and more over the top. Silent Hill was pretty good too.

why the hell did fox even think anyone wanted an assassin creed movie?

It's not a terrible idea for a film. It's basically The Matrix with a 16th to 19th century twist. Their problem was in making the movie all about present day "intrigue" instead of just trying to make an action movie with a few twists. If the movie was going to be bad, better to err on the side of schlock (Resident Evil) than boring (see just about every video game movie).

Need For Speed is a completely average to mediocre movie but the car racing parts are at least lengthy and fun.

Boke1879

I'm a fan of the series. Outside of 2 and 3, they've all been fun to watch, especially as they increasingly get more and more over the top. Silent Hill was pretty good too.

I thought the first SH movie was pretty good.

For the RE movies I shouldn't say bad, but I mean the first movie was probably the closest it's ever been in terms of relating to the game in a way. I do think they are fun movies.

Thing is. People think they want to see and exact 1:1 translation of the game into a movie and that's just not going to work.

pestul

Disney film cranking, and a Sony film bombing. Sums up 2016 pretty well.

Sony really needs to do a complete reevaluation of their film business.
They'll probably make half a billion off of Spider-Man Homecoming and use the money earned to make more terrible decisions.

Penguin

Video game movies just cannot get itself going. Should be easy with so many comic book movies to use as a reference.

Yup think really only thing can learn from comic movies, Marvel and DC don't adapt storylines, they adapt elements of some, but craft originally takes that fit the characters and world created.

Build within a framework don't try to recreate it or throw it all out.

RibMan

I think Passengers is bombimg bc of Pratt
Who likes this guy seriously? He is generic af. When jurassic shit did well, i knew it was bc of dinos, nobody cares about him. Boom, gtfo pratt

Edit: to develop my thoughts a little more, it just makes me sad that Hollywood used to have interesting, great actors such as dustin hoffman, de niro, pacino, etc. As mainstream leads and now there is CHRIST PRATT

fucking hell

*Raises hand*

Pratt is awesome. It sounds like you don't like him as an actor because he's not signing up to do movies that fit your tastes. Give him more time to do more movies; I think your opinion of his acting will change in a year or two.

Passengers is up against Star Wars, so expecting it to top the charts is pretty unrealistic. I think the movie will do better once it's available on Bluray, download, and streaming platforms.

Ubisoft actually said, no joke, that they don't care of Assassins Creed bombs or doesn't do well, it's good exposure for the game. That's apparently all they wanted, interview is from July.

"We are not going to earn a lot of money from it," Ubisoft’s European head Alain Corre told MCV.

Instead of seeing the film as a profit generator, Ubisoft is looking at Assassin's Creed: The Movie as an opportunity to promote its popular video game franchise, with Corre noting that "it is a lot more a marketing thing" and "also good for the image of the brand."

While the studio does expect to make "some money," that isn't the focus. Instead, the film's "purpose is to bring Assassin’s Creed to more people" and "put this franchise in front of a lot more people who, maybe, will then pick up future Assassin’s Creed games."

firelogic

I thought the first SH movie was pretty good.

For the RE movies I shouldn't say bad, but I mean the first movie was probably the closest it's ever been in terms of relating to the game in a way. I do think they are fun movies.

Thing is. People think they want to see and exact 1:1 translation of the game into a movie and that's just not going to work.

Oh for sure. RE1 was definitely closest to the games and felt more like a horror movie with a "normal" protagonist.

I agree. If 1:1 actually worked, Hollywood would definitely do it to cut down on development time and money but there's clearly a reason they don't.

Ubisoft actually said, no joke, that they don't care of Assassins Creed bombs or doesn't do well, it's good exposure for the game. That's apparently all they wanted, interview is from July.

Not sure how a badly reviewed and box office bomb of a movie is good promotion for the game series.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I think Passengers is bombimg bc of Pratt
Who likes this guy seriously? He is generic af. When jurassic shit did well, i knew it was bc of dinos, nobody cares about him. Boom, gtfo pratt

Edit: to develop my thoughts a little more, it just makes me sad that Hollywood used to have interesting, great actors such as dustin hoffman, de niro, pacino, etc. As mainstream leads and now there is CHRIST PRATT

fucking hell

I like that guy.

*Raises hand*

Pratt is awesome. It sounds like you don't like him as an actor because he's not signing up to do movies that fit your tastes. Give him more time to do more movies; I think your opinion of his acting will change in a year or two.

Passengers is up against Star Wars, so expecting it to top the charts is pretty unrealistic. I think the movie will do better once it's available on Bluray, download, and streaming platforms.

My problem with Pratt in Jurassic World was his character. He wasn't relatable, at all. He was perfect. Had every comeback, witty, perfect with every weapon and intelligent. No flaws. Most of the characters were outright boring but his was the least believable to me.

Otherwise, he's a funny guy and seems charming. He does the "raising the eyebrows" thing a lot though, which makes it look like he's trying really hard to remember his lines lol.

My problem with Pratt in Jurassic World was his character. He wasn't relatable, at all. He was perfect. Had every comeback, witty, perfect with every weapon and intelligent. No flaws. Most of the characters were outright boring but his was the least believable to me.

Otherwise, he's a funny guy and seems charming. He does the "raising the eyebrows" thing a lot though, which makes it look like he's trying really hard to remember his lines lol.

That was the weirdest thing. Why would you write Chris Pratt to be your uber-capable badass? That's not his appeal at all, no matter how jacked he got for GoTG.

Iceternal

"We dont' like money".

And I'm sure a box office bomb is going to strengthen the brand.

They just knew the film was shit.

kswiston

Weekend Estimates:

1) Rogue One - $64.4M - $96.1M 4 day - $318M total
2) Sing - $35.2M - $56.1M 4 day - $77M total
3) Passengers - $14.9M - $23.1M 4 day - $30M total
4) Why Him? - $11.1M - $16.7M 4 day
5) Assassins Creed - $10.3M - $15M 4 day - 22M total
6) Moana - $7.4M - $10.4M 4 day - $184M

J_Viper

Is it possible that Rogue One misses out on that billion?

Man, that Afflack mobster movie looks Gangster Squad levels bad.

Yesh.

It's not. At all.

It's just boring as hell.

I don't see it doing well at the box office though. At least it was cheap to make.

Just listened to the Fassbender interview on Kermode and Mayo.

He had no idea video game movies have a bad track record and only chose to do AC because the killmoves looked cool in the scenes Ubisoft showed him from the game. And picked Kurzel to direct because he could make the killing look "really visceral".

Maybe letting actors make creative decisions on big movies when they only have the most superficial understanding of the material isn't a good idea.
I was actually surprised to hear that Kermode liked it

Need For Speed is the best video game film ever made

I actually agree with this. Came in with low expectations and ended up enjoying the movie for what it was. Since Fast and the Furious has become more of a super-hero film in its last few iterations (don't get me wrong, I love how ridiculous it all is), I thought Need for Speed was a nice alternative for those that want to actually watch a racing-centric action film.

kswiston

Is it possible that Rogue One misses out on that billion?

Not really. Overseas just needs to reach something like $450M, there's still a week of holidays, and China hasnt opened yet.

Rogue One has the 9th biggest 10 day cumulative domestic gross of all time. By the end of Tuesday (Day 12), it will end up being #4 after TFA, Jurassic World, and the Avengers.

It should end up being #6 of all time domestic (since Avatar and Titanic will obviously start pulling ahead with time).

I actually agree with this. Came in with low expectations and ended up enjoying the movie for what it was. Since Fast and the Furious has become more of a super-hero film in its last few iterations (don't get me wrong, I love how ridiculous it all is), I thought Need for Speed was a nice alternative for those that want to actually watch a racing-centric action film.

It's pretty basic, but I feel they absolutely nailed the racing scenes, especially the audio of the cars revving up

ahoyle77

Taking my daughter to Sing this afternoon. Expectations are low.

I did the same. Came out wishing we had just gone to Moana a 3rd time. Worst animated film I've seen in theaters this year. Usually my 3 yr old ends movies (Kubo, Zootopia, Moana) by immediately asking to see it again. 30 mins from the end of this she was asking if it was over yet.

J_Viper

Not really. Overseas just needs to reach something like $450M, there's still a week of holidays, and China hasnt opened yet.

Rogue One has the 9th biggest 10 day cumulative domestic gross of all time. By the end of Tuesday (Day 12), it will end up being #4 after TFA, Jurassic World, and the Avengers.

It should end up being #6 of all time domestic (since Avatar and Titanic will obviously start pulling ahead with time).

Ah I see, that's great to hear, since it deserves all the success.

Thanks for the info!

kswiston

why would you do that to your own family...

Haha.

It was typical Illumination. There was maybe one funny sequece. I tried to count the number of pop songs, but lost track in the 20s. There was probably something like 30-40.

My daughter didnt ask to go home until 10 minutes from the end, so I guess she didnt hate it. She got excited that they played Carry that Weight by the Beatles. She often walks around our house singing the 3 words "carry that weight" over and over. Took us awhile to figure out what she was singing the first time, since under 3 year olds dont have the best pronunciation.

Man thats crazy for a spin off movie with no lightsabers and jedi.

I actually like the two Despicable Me movies, but outside of that, the whole of Illumination's works seem to be "we had an idea for an mildly amusing little video that old people share on Facebook and decided to make a 100 minute movie out of it." Minions, Secret Life of Pets, and Sing are all Crazy Frog: The Movie.

And then they make a billion dollars because civilization was a mistake.

mreddie

Weekend Estimates:

1) Rogue One - $64.4M - $96.1M 4 day - $318M total
2) Sing - $35.2M - $56.1M 4 day - $77M total
3) Passengers - $14.9M - $23.1M 4 day - $30M total
4) Why Him? - $11.1M - $16.7M 4 day
5) Assassins Creed - $10.3M - $15M 4 day - 22M total
6) Moana - $7.4M - $10.4M 4 day - $184M

FOX sharing 4/5, what's the budget for Why Him? Actually, they double dipped one the same week, at least Disney gives 2 weeks before they release another film.

I don't think every videogame can be adapted to a good movie either. Mario would be.....tough. Something like Bioshock, TLOU, and Half Life could make an awesome movie, I would think.

I think there's been been decent to go video game adaptations (I enjoy all the RE films, as cheesy as they are, and the Silent Hill film), but there's just not been a real breakthrough yet like Spider-Man and X-Men was to comic book films.

Son Of D

Fox knew from the start AssCreed was a flop. Putting your action sci-fi movie right next to STAR WARS is practically cinematic suicide.

I still don't understand the stupidity of that decision. At least in the UK (not sure where else) Fox waited until January 1st for AssCreed, giving it a slightly better chance (same day as A Monster Calls and Silence here so it's not like there's too much audience overlap).

Penguin

I think there's been been decent to go video game adaptations (I enjoy all the RE films, as cheesy as they are, and the Silent Hill film), but there's just not been a real breakthrough yet like Spider-Man and X-Men was to comic book films.

I always feel weird when folks gloss over what Batman and Superman did for the genre.

Also though DTV, I like the first Dead Rising movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom