• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•23-25•16 - bomba Ass, Passengers, Sing as audiences continue to go Rogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Video game movies just cannot get itself going. Should be easy with so many comic book movies to use as a reference.

Comic books are way better at telling stories than video games, primarily because most video game stories are just there as an excuse for the gameplay.

That's not really a criticism of video games; it's just that we're not talking about an inherently story-driven medium here.

kswiston

4-Day weekend estimates for the new page:

sFd902y.png

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?view=&yr=2016&wknd=52a&p=

Detective Pikachu will probably both do pretty well and be decently rated. Though Pokémon is a bit removed from your typical game series, and adaptations.

kswiston

Tomb Raider is the highest grossing videogame film of all time domestically.

It would be the 44th highest grossing Marvel/DC superhero film. Next year will probably bump that down to 50th.

kswiston

38% drop is a great hold.

Yup. Monday might be a bit overestimated (maybe not though given the lower Sunday bump), but Rogue One should easily score the third biggest Monday of all time after TFA's first two. If the estimate holds, it's the second biggest Monday ever. Even bigger than TFA's second.

Next weekend should be pretty crazy as well with little to no drop. A lot of films even increase.

jett

D-Member
Just listened to the Fassbender interview on Kermode and Mayo.

He had no idea video game movies have a bad track record and only chose to do AC because the killmoves looked cool in the scenes Ubisoft showed him from the game. And picked Kurzel to direct because he could make the killing look "really visceral".

Maybe letting actors make creative decisions on big movies when they only have the most superficial understanding of the material isn't a good idea.

Hahaha

That sounds so dumb.

kswiston

Doctor Strange taken out at the knees with that theater drop.

Yup. I have noticed that Disney no longer seems to care as much about giving late pushes to their films. 3-4 years back, they would have strung Doctor Strange along to at least $240M including a late second run theater bump. Now it will probably finish up at $231-232M.

I guess $8M doesnt matter much when they have Rogue One and Moana to push still.

Anth0ny

Yup. I have noticed that Disney no longer seems to care as much about giving late pushes to their films. 3-4 years back, they would have strung Doctor Strange along to at least $240M including a late second run theater bump. Now it will probably finish up at $231-232M.

I guess $8M doesnt matter much when they have Rogue One and Moana to push still.

yeah 3-4 years back they didn't have a fucking juggernaut to push every other week

jett

D-Member
They should've just followed Ezio for the AC movie. Everyone likes Ezio and it's a pretty straightforward plot. Maybe dial back on fistfighting the pope though.

It's a generic revenge plot.

"My family is killed by bad man. I kill bad man. Also, Leonardo DaVinci makes me a flying machine."

It works better when it's tangential to the overall experience, but there's a reason video game adaptations fail. Video game stories are just usually not great. Look at TLOU, a game I really like and received widespread acclaim. It's a pretty much a collection of movie/genre tropes already done multiple times over, but executed well by gaming standards.

kswiston

"Good Story" videogames use player agency and interactivity as a big part of the experience, even if they are cinematic videogames. Game fans sometimes forget this when they say that game X should be made into a movie.

That ending sequence in the Last of Us when you are
getting Ellie back from the Fireflies
wouldnt work nearly as well if you weren't controlling Joel.

"Good Story" videogames use player agency and interactivity as a big part of the experience, even if they are cinematic videogames. Game fans sometimes forget this when they say that game X should be made into a movie.

That ending sequence in the Last of Us when you are
getting Ellie back from the Fireflies
wouldnt work nearly as well if you weren't controlling Joel.

Exactly. It is all about the interactive experience that makes them register so much. The Half Life games at least know this.

Koodo

Banned
Exactly. It is all about the interactive experience that makes them register so much. The Half Life games at least know this.
Pretty much any Valve game understands the limits and benefits of storytelling in gaming – Portal 2 tells its story exceedingly well and in a way that could not be replicated in any other medium.

The stories in most other games are nothing more than shoddy imitations of cinema, and hence the movie adaptations end up being the bootleg of a bootleg cinematic experience. Awful.

Pretty much any Valve game understands the limits and benefits of storytelling in gaming – Portal 2 tells its story exceedingly well and in a way that could not be replicated in any other medium.

The stories in most other games are nothing more than shoddy imitations of cinema, and hence the movie adaptations end up being the bootleg of a bootleg cinematic experience. Awful.

Agree with the bolded.

I could argue that Kojima understands that as well. He apes cinematic moments, but at least puts you in control for certain parts. The ending of MGS3 where it gives you control before pulling the trigger shows that.

I always feel weird when folks gloss over what Batman and Superman did for the genre.

Also though DTV, I like the first Dead Rising movie

Superman and batman are the real pioneers. Those 80s and early 90s movies are the real reason they are two of the very top super hero names today. The early '00s XMen and Spiderman were responsible for the second push that led us to the MCU (and all the other "Us" we see today). However, Bats and Supes are the real pioneers IMO.

I think that has to do with the fact that they are always bringing out blockbusters, and there's so much you can push at the same time. It's a good problem to have. Will still be interesting to see if Strange can pass MoS. Will be close and dependent on Japan. I'm also interested to see if Beasts beats Strange domestically. I was 100% sure it would - and I still think it will - but it'll be closer than I originally thought.

That's very true as well. I just like the ambience and world of those games and feel they could create an interesting two hour story. I don't think a 1-1 remake of the videogame would work.

jett

D-Member
Between TFA and R1, does Star Wars now own like 4 or 5 of the top December weekends of all time now?

3-day December weekends:

1. TFA
2. TFA
3. R1
4. The Hobbit
5. I Am Legend
6. Avatar
7. Avatar
8. Hobbit 2
9. ROTK
10. Narnia

I think this is accurate.

kswiston

Fantastic Beasts' 4-day sixth weekend was lower than Strange's 3-day sixth weekend. It's also $7M behind date aligned still. The only thing giving it a shot at besting Strange's domestic total is the fact that the film was killed this weekend.

BumRush

Just saw Rogue One and thought it was phenomenal. Definitely loved the added grit.

Edit: my local theatre had 7 sold out shows...before 5:00 PM

this will be all star wars in, what, 3 years? lol

Wait for Cameron to bring the thunder.

And yes, Valve games understand the relation of perspective on storytelling a lot better than most gaming companies. It's probably also the reason they haven't made Half-Life and Portal movies, despite that they were talking about it with JJ Abrams in 2014, and then we got Cloverfield 10 Lane, which was called 'the cellar', is made by a guy who directed a Portal short, and has literal Portal / H-L elements in it, as produced by Abrams in 2016.
But I'm sure that's just a coincidence. But, speculation is free! I personally think it's pretty obvious it was redeveloped though, since otherwise the project would be lost / sent to development hell. Gotta get something made if you wanna make money back. I didn't hate it for that or anything. It is mildly frustrating to know we can never have a H-L or Portal, or even Halo movie, though, since none of them can be directly converted. Halo might be doable, but the critical moment in its popularity has sadly passed.

Busty

Banned
Detective Pikachu will probably both do pretty well and be decently rated. Though Pokémon is a bit removed from your typical game series, and adaptations.

What on Earth makes you think that?

If it does anything it's going to be Alvin & The Chipmunks money at best. And not one of the bigger Alvin films.

kswiston

Any tracking on XXX Part 3?

The commercials look even worse than the usual Vin effort?

Boxoffice.com is guessing $32M opening and $72m total. I don't think the film is big enough to have more detailed tracking stories this far out.

They have Live By Night at $35M total. That would be a big miss by Affleck if true.

I guess Batman makes up for it though.

Schlorgan

I don't think Avatar 2 will beat The Force Awakens' numbers. I don't know if it will even get anywhere near the numbers of the first one. I kind of doubt it.

Slayven

Boxoffice.com is guessing $32M opening and $72m total. I don't think the film is big enough to have more detailed tracking stories this far out.

They have Live By Night at $35M total. That would be a big miss by Affleck if true.

I guess Batman makes up for it though.

Live by the night looks so boring

I know this is antecedal but I saw Rogue One today and the audience reaction was by far the biggest of any film I've seen this year. People were losing their shit the entire last 30 minutes and the entire theatre erupted at the ending.

No idea what word of mouth has been like on this but I was shocked. Sure seems to me people loved it

kswiston

Gone baby gone?

Well, Affleck had more or less ruined his career prior to Gone Baby Gone. Look at his acting roles in 2006. He was box office poison, so he stepped behind the camera in his directorial debut. After that won him a bunch of respect, he was starring in everything.

mcfrank

Well, Affleck had more or less ruined his career prior to Gone Baby Gone. Look at his acting roles in 2006. He was box office poison, so he stepped behind the camera in his directorial debut. After that won him a bunch of respect, he was starring in everything.

True. It is still his best film imo.

What on Earth makes you think that?

If it does anything it's going to be Alvin & The Chipmunks money at best. And not one of the bigger Alvin films.

A couple things. First, you seem to be under the impression that I said it would make a billion lol. I said "pretty well", lol

Second, the Squeakquel made more money worldwide than any videogame movie as far as I'm aware, and even Chipwrecked made more domestically than any videogame movie ever has. So Chipmonk money *would* be doing pretty well for an adaptation.

Finally, you're underselling Pikachu, lol. A well-made Pikachu movie could easily hit a half billion worldwide methinks. And Nintendo/GameFreak/TPC are going to quality control the shit out of. Plus, the timing is good because the many original batch of Pokémon fans have young children now. So it's not just a take your kid out to shut em up movie like Alvin. It's something many young parents will be excited about too.

guek

Banned
Comic books are way better at telling stories than video games, primarily because most video game stories are just there as an excuse for the gameplay.

That's not really a criticism of video games; it's just that we're not talking about an inherently story-driven medium here.
This is why we won't get a good video game move until we get a director who is actually passionate about the source material, because a video game adaptation is not as straightforward as following the basic structure of a novel or even comic books. You have to use the source material as inspiration and go from there to create something in many ways original. Duncan Jones was the best hope we had but he had his shot and blew it.

kswiston

Going back, it looks like 7 out of the 8 major Star Wars films to date were (or will be for Rogue One) in the domestic top 10 of all time at some point in their run. Attack of the Clones was the only film to miss that honor (it peaked at #11, forever denied a top 10 spot thanks to Spider-Man).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom