• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 8•04-06•17 - Man in Black kidnaps #1, Dun' not done son, Woman nears $400m DOM

Colin Farrell is wasting his Disney money on the live action Dumbo.

fuck Tim Burton movies in the 21st century.

but man...he's reuniting with Michael Keaton and Danny Devito for the first time since Batman Returns...

plus Colin Farrell and Eva Green starring in it. I'm gonna have to eventually watch this crap. I wonder if he makes Dumbo look revolting.

I think big budget blockbuster live adaptations of Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet can do so much better business for Disney than their animated films did. You could probably turn Treasure Planet into a franchise as they originally intended. It could be their next Pirates of the Caribbean replacement franchise after it's done.

large_xYEBtscvOA7JWh2MSvcnkAaeAyc.jpg

fuck Tim Burton movies in the 21st century.

but man...he's reuniting with Michael Keaton and Danny Devito for the first time since Batman Returns...

plus Colin Farrell and Eva Green starring in it. I'm gonna have to eventually watch this crap. I wonder if he makes Dumbo look revolting.

I know Big Fish isn't a particularly great movie, and he basically made a movie that takes place in the American South and only put one black person in it, but I still like it better than anything he did post-Batman Returns (with the caveat that I've never seen Ed Wood).

I know Big Fish isn't a particularly great movie, and he basically made a movie that takes place in the American South and only put one black person in it, but I still like it better than anything he did post-Batman Returns (with the caveat that I've never seen Ed Wood).

I think Big Fish is the last thing he did that seemed to mean much to him at all, and as such it's probably the best thing he's done since Ed Wood.

I have it here on blu-ray but I dont' think I've revisited it since it got delivered, so maybe my fond memories are due for a tarnish.

One thing that won't change on rewatch: My opinion that Ewan McGregor needs to never attempt American accents. He simply can't do them, and nobody wants him to try. He needs to just Connery it up.

This last season of Fargo was so distracting. He even had the Minnesota handicap to explain how funny sounding he is - and it STILL didn't work.

you should get on that Ed Wood. its one of the best movies of the 90s. a nice love letter to b-movie filmmaking.

Boxoffice.com is predicting a $15M opening weekend for American Made. The budget is $80M.

When does that open?

I'm really looking forward to that, but have seen no marketing for it outside of a couple of trailers at IMAX screenings.

Hopefully if it tanks it doesn't dissuade Tom Cruise from doing more dramatic performances and trying to be an action star into his 70's like Liam Neeson.

kswiston

When does that open?

I'm really looking forward to that, but have seen no marketing for it outside of a couple of trailers at IMAX screenings.

Hopefully if it tanks it doesn't dissuade Tom Cruise from doing more dramatic performances and trying to be an action star into his 70's like Liam Neeson.

It opens at the end of September in the US/Canada. No idea about everyone else's various territories.

kswiston

Tom Cruise plays a 35-45 year old man in the period of time that is likely to be covered in American Made.

You are really starting to notice that his co-starring actresses (who are supposed to be similar in age to his characters) are young enough to be his kids.

Tom Cruise plays a 35-45 year old man in the period of time that is likely to be covered in American Made.

You are really starting to notice that his co-starring actresses (who are supposed to be similar in age to his characters) are young enough to be his kids.

I was about to argue that at least Clooney is letting his female leads age along with him, but we just had a discussion about Tomorrowland.

kswiston

It's funny that Tom was already viewed as the odd middle-aged man taking advantage of young Katie Holmes when they got together, but now she's too old to play one of his movie love interests.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's funny that Tom was already viewed as the odd middle-aged man taking advantage of young Katie Holmes when they got together, but now she's too old to play one of his movie love interests.
She can play Aunt May in Spider-Man: Spring Formal when they reboot that in 2021.

She can play Aunt May in Spider-Man: Spring Formal when they reboot that in 2021.

Speaking of Spidey, I found out this weekend that apparently KC Undercover is actually still making new episodes. I thought Zendaya was old enough that the show was done (apparently she's about to graduate high school on the show, which I would imagine will be the actual end of it).

kswiston

Saw the trailer for the IMAX screening of Dunkirk and had never heard of it before.

I thought it looked........Really good?

It definitely looks better than his last two films. This is the first time Tom Cruise is playing something other than an action hero in what? 5 years?

This is a fuckin tragedy brehs. All the excellent posters for this movie and they chose that as the cover.

Z6WE6pr.gif

You think that's bad? This is the steelbook cover

Yep, these sure are WB physical releases.

Yep...

I am grateful for this film because of the running joke on the Twilight Rifftrax about it. Anytime Lautner shows up, someone says, "Sorry about Abduction."

Some people still don't believe me when I tell them I've seen every single Twilight film.

Apparently Renner is enjoying being in indy movies since they're more personal than just being a cog in the Marvel machine but he's also trying to get a new Bourne movie off the ground so....

Busty

Banned
Boxoffice.com is predicting a $15M opening weekend for American Made. The budget is $80M.

Unless the reviews are stellar I think this is about where this film was always destined to land. If they can pull in $75/80m on this domestic I'm sure the studio would be happy with it.

If Universal and Cross Creek did indeed spend $80m on this, and given that it's Liman it's entirely possible he went waaaay over budget, then more fool them.

Lima

Rewatching Rise and Dawn before seeing War for the second time tonight. Man it really bugs me that Dawn was framed in 1.85:1. And then War goes back to 2.35:1. All because they didn't have the right equipment at the time to film anamorphic scope 3D. These are fantastic movies, the best trilogy of the decade but somehow this really bugs me lol.

Alien and Aliens changed aspect ratio too.

Framing is important, yeah, but its also just the frame. What matters is that the frame is being used to its fullest once its chosen.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
god the RT score for dark tower hurts my heart. how did any film with Elba and Mcconaughey tank so bad?

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

Dude's going through an onscreen movie star midlife crisis.

Top Bottom