• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 8•04-06•17 - Man in Black kidnaps #1, Dun' not done son, Woman nears $400m DOM

Busty

Banned
Pattinson's clear disdain for Twilight was always funny to watch.

Dude just wanted the money and exposure so he could be in indies.

tumblr_oji598zNrc1r1ult6o1_500.gif

Bronx-Man

Banned
Robert Pattison's the gold standard for youngish actors put as the lead in blockbuster franchises. Keep your head low, stick to indies for a couple of years, build some cred with the film reviewer nerd populace, hover around the Sundance/Tribeca/Cannes scene for a while.

Aka the exact opposite of everything Dane Dehaan's been doing since Chronicle.

Penguin

Ahh yeah good to know, guess don't follow the indie scene a ton.

And forgot she did Snow White and the Huntsmen

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Robert Pattison's the gold standard for youngish actors put as the lead in blockbuster franchises. Keep your head low, stick to indies for a couple of years, build some cred with the film reviewer nerd populace, hover around the Sundance/Tribeca/Cannes scene for a while.

idk, until the end of 2016 his filmography is pretty alright aside from Spider-Man. Then in 2017 he had the combo of A Cure for Wellness + Valerian.

Alrus

In that performance K-Stew gives probably the single worst dramatic monologue I have ever heard in a film.

We still talk about that scene with a friend to this day. One of our favorite bad dramatic moment along with Pirates 4 mermaid's name reveal.

Rewatching Rise and Dawn before seeing War for the second time tonight. Man it really bugs me that Dawn was framed in 1.85:1. And then War goes back to 2.35:1. All because they didn't have the right equipment at the time to film anamorphic scope 3D. These are fantastic movies, the best trilogy of the decade but somehow this really bugs me lol.

Alien and Aliens changed aspect ratio too.

Framing is important, yeah, but its also just the frame. What matters is that the frame is being used to its fullest once its chosen.
Avengers and Spider-Man changed aspect ratios too. As did Terminator.

Busty

Banned
Is it just me or does this picture taken at the Dark Tower premiere look like Cub Gooding Jnr is trying to stop a drunken Idris Elba from attacking Tom Rothman?

DarkTower_KBU_17_30200297.jpg

"Franchisshhh my arssshhhhe!!!!"

We still talk about that scene with a friend to this day. One of our favorite bad dramatic moment along with Pirates 4 mermaid's name reveal.

I remember nothing about Pirates 4 but I have no doubt you're right. Sitting through the third act of that film was straight up torture.

Is it just me or does this picture taken at the Dark Tower premiere look like Cub Gooding Jnr is trying to stop a drunken Idris Elba from attacking Tom Rothman?

I remember nothing about Pirates 4 but I have no doubt you're right. Sitting through the third act of that film was straight up torture.

Lmaooo. Can't unsee that now. You might not be off the mark

Also I finally know what Tom Rothman looks like. The face of evil.

Lima

Alien and Aliens changed aspect ratio too.

For much of the same reason. Cameron didn't like what options were available to shoot in anamorphic scope. Though truth to be told he always was the kinda guy who preferred shooting in flat format. Still does. I mean he even reframed Titanic to 1.78:1 for the 3D re-release.

Penguin

I mean that very well could be the case

I've been super intrigued in Pattinson ever since The Rover. While Cosmopolis was a piece of shit and Life was by-the-numbers forgettable, he's generally found his way to interesting projects post-Twilight. I respect him for being someone who's very clearly more interested in working with actors he respects and materials that genuinely excites him as opposed to just cashing in on larger, probably more lucrative franchises. I'm looking forward to seeing Good Time and I thought he was very solid in The Lost City of Z.

Anth0ny

About $36M. It should make over $30M today as well. That will put it close to $540M in China, which surpasses the Mermaid.

vzy7jlpss9.gif

Force Awakens made $31m domestic on its second monday. Was sitting at a higher domestic total ($571m) but this is still fucking incredible for some no name $29m movie from China vs. the most iconic and popular movie franchise of all time.

Worldwide updates

Despicable Me 3 - $879M (now the top gross of the summer)
Wonder Woman - $794M
Pirates 5 - $781M
Spider-Man Homecoming - $671M
Transformers 5 - $583M
Dunkirk - $314M
Cars 3 - $286M
War for the Planet of the Apes - $278M
Baby Driver - $155M

Also from the last thread, Wolf Warrior 2 has now grossed $469M in China after a second weekend of $162M (giving it the largest second weekend in a single territory). Domestically the film has made $1M in two weekends.

That seems really poor for Planet of the Apes. Wasn't its budget a huge step-up from the previous two films as well?

I cannot believe Sony is going to make money on Emoji. Unbelievable.

One thing Sony are good at with their animated films is doing high-quality CGI on a relatively low budget. Cloudy Meatballs, Hotel Transylvania and Angry Birds were all very good looking films made for $60-$90 million, if memory serves. I would assume the CGI in Emoji is really good too.

This weekend, the Despicable Me franchise (Minions included) passed Shrek to become the highest grossing animated franchise of all time, at $3.55B. Shrek is still ahead domestically.

Runners up are Ice Age at $3.22B and Madagascar at $2.26B.

I assume the Shrek franchise includes Puss In Boots as well?

Valerian is sitting at $79M worldwide now.

I'm not sure if that is counting all international territories though, as Comscore is only listing 14 (and IMDB's list of release dates suggest that it is out in at least 30 territories currently).

King Arthur will probably prevent it from being the bomb of the year among the $100M+ budget bracket.

Valerian must be looking at about $400 mil box office before it turns a profit, right? Crazy. Luc, you crazy.

Mission Impossible 2 is worth it for the Metal Gear Solid 2 kicks.

[not pictured: Ethan doing a running back flip flash kick as doves fly away]

I always found Tom Cruise's hair captivating in that film. Sponsored by Loreal™

Also, I wonder if Dougray Scott was pissed off at himself for passing over Wolverine for that role. Although I think Jackman was perfect in the role I always wondered what Scott would have been like.

firelogic

I always found Tom Cruise's hair captivating in that film. Sponsored by Loreal™

Also, I wonder if Dougray Scott was pissed off at himself for passing over Wolverine for that role. Although I think Jackman was perfect in the role I always wondered what Scott would have been like.

Dougray should have been Sabretooth.

kswiston

I might as well cross post in this thread: Wolf Warrior 2 is now at $541M after another $33M on Tuesday. It should get close to (or maybe even pass) $700M by this weekend.

Lima

I haven't even heard of American Made.

You should watch the trailer. Looks pretty good.

Speaking of a trailer that looks pretty good, Jesus that Mother trailer looks hot. Just the right amount of weirdness. Looks very intriguing.

kswiston

You should watch the trailer. Looks pretty good.

Speaking of a trailer that looks pretty good, Jesus that Mother trailer looks hot. Just the right amount of weirdness. Looks very intriguing.

Aronofsky is pretty reliable. At worst, you'll get a middling film with a few standout sequences.

You mean it looks ridiculously predictable and full of easy-to-guess details that obviously spoil the whole movie so badly you had to turn it off halfway through to make sure you didn't ruin the movie you're probably not even going to watch until it shows up on Amazon Prime.

(I mean, that's what I'm getting from that trailer thread)

FTF

I might as well cross post in this thread: Wolf Warrior 2 is now at $541M after another $33M on Tuesday. It should get close to (or maybe even pass) $700M by this weekend.

Just insane. Is it on track to beat TFA's dom gross of $936m to be the highest grossing movie of all time in a single territory?

Schlorgan

She can play Aunt May in Spider-Man: Spring Formal when they reboot that in 2021.
You really think it'll take that long?

Avengers and Spider-Man changed aspect ratios too. As did Terminator.

IMDb Trivia said:
Sam Raimi originally intended the film to maintain an aspect ratio of 1.85:1 like Spider-Man (2002). However, when he realized that in order to have Dr. Octopus and Spider-Man in the same shot, the frame would need to be wider in order to accommodate Dr. Octopus' metal tentacles. So Raimi upgraded the ratio to 2.35:1.

CREMSteve

I've said in these threads that I think some kid's movies are reviewed unfairly harsh.

I'm here to report that this is not true for the Emoji Movie.

😭

I drew the short straw on this one, my wife dodged a bullet.
My wife took all three of our kids last week and they all (including the wife) loved it.

kswiston

Just insane. Is it on track to beat TFA's dom gross of $936m to be the highest grossing movie of all time in a single territory?

It might still miss that. China legs are hard to predict. Over $800M is going to happen. People who follow China box office closer than I do think that it has a shot at passing 6B RMB, which is currently around $900M. So probably spitting distance, even if TFA's single territory recond holds.

Top Bottom