• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 8•04-06•17 - Man in Black kidnaps #1, Dun' not done son, Woman nears $400m DOM

kswiston

Wolf Warrior 2 is likely looking at ~$600M by tomorrow. That puts it in a good spot to pass $700M this weekend.

It will be the first Chinese film to hit either milestone.

For those curious, here's the $100M milestones for the Chinese Box Office

$100M and $200M - Avatar (2010)
$300M - Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)
$400M and $500M - The Mermaid (2016)
$600M, $700M, and beyond - Wolf Warrior 2 (2017)

Lima

Wolf Warrior 2 is likely looking at ~$600M by tomorrow. That puts it in a good spot to pass $700M this weekend.

It will be the first Chinese film to hit either milestone.

For those curious, here's the $100M milestones for the Chinese Box Office

$100M and $200M - Avatar (2010)
$300M - Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)
$400M and $500M - The Mermaid (2016)
$600M, $700M, and beyond - Wolf Warrior 2 (2017)

Any signs of this slowing down any time soon? I mean hot damn.

Conservative Koch Brothers Are Secret Investors in 'Wonder Woman'
Unlike Mnuchin, you won't see the trio of uber-billionaires listed as executive producers on any of the films they've backed. As for why the Kochs and Gates have kept their involvement secret, a source familiar with the deal says it's simple. "They're in it to make money. They're not in it for the recognition," says the source.

Meet Time Warner's New Boss: A Hollywood Outsider With a Grand Plan
Chernin says Stankey is "a really good guy with a dry sense of humor," but adds that he's also strategic and thoughtful. Chernin predicts his priorities will be to build "a genuinely targeted advertising business," to be aggressive about building up data-driven video-on-demand and about helping Warners get better at selling content, whether it's Harry Potter or DC Comics, to the right customers. "I don't think you're going to see John trying to greenlight movies and looking at rough cuts," says Chernin. "You'll see him trying to unlock the opportunity."

To that end, Stankey says Warners CEO Kevin Tsujihara won't be replaced: "He's a talented guy." Stankey expects to be in the loop if the studio intends to make, say, a $200 million movie, but "in terms of getting down to the specifics of what is the right content to make a $200 million bet on, that's not where I'm going to spend my time and energy."

Stankey is very clear that the entertainment industry has its own idiosyncratic culture and AT&T does not intend to try to change it. Instead, the company intends to approach with respect. "We're going to have to earn our way in," he says. "My job is to demonstrate that there is value we can bring."

kswiston

Any signs of this slowing down any time soon? I mean hot damn.

The overall box office has slowed down in recent years. 2015 had over 50% growth over 2014. But 2016 had single digit growth, and 2017 might end up around 10-15% higher than 2016. Still higher than domestic growth, but not the 25-50% annual growth we were seeing.

That said, I don't think that the upper limit has been tested yet for local films. It's looking likely that we will see a billion dollar Chinese film before we see a billion dollar domestic film, even if the overall domestic box office remains larger for the next few years.

kswiston

While this guy says that he won't be involved in the nitty gritty of the film industry, I wonder if AT&T will put an end to some of the betting that WB does with directors who have had success in the past, but have been on a cold streak recently.

Around $410M

So it has a chance to knock Iron Man 3 from the top five all time domestic superhero films. Let's hope your prediction holds. IM3 was 409 million for the number five spot, I think.

Kinda hoping WB runs a domestic "last chance to see in theatres" mini campaign. That could give it a nice push.

kswiston

So it has a chance to knock Iron Man 3 from the top five all time domestic superhero films. Let's hope your prediction holds. IM3 was 409 million for the number five spot, I think.

The final gross will depend on whether or not WB stays committed to keeping Wonder Woman in theatres now that $400M is a reality. It could get a Labor Day expansion. It could be allowed to fade away in favor of pushing Dunkirk to $200M.

Wondy should at least hit $405M.

Busty

Banned
So they let Tsujihara go out with a "win"

(it's not really his, but he gets to claim it before he's shuffled somewhere else)

There's no way AT&T will boot the first Japanese American head of a studio so quickly after they gain control.

If anything they'll kick him upstairs if someone like Peter Cherin wants the gig but I doubt that happens anytime soon.

The final gross will depend on whether or not WB stays committed to keeping Wonder Woman in theatres now that $400M is a reality. It could get a Labor Day expansion. It could be allowed to fade away in favor of pushing Dunkirk to $200M.

Wondy should at least hit $405M.

I am thinking that if they are serious about that awards push, having "top 5 of all time" attached to the pitch can't hurt them.

Now, things like the escalators being out of service at the Scotiabank theatre in downtown Toronto, that's not helping. ;)

kswiston

Could still hit the 4x if WW goes back into IMAX for Labor Day. If WB is serious about the award push, WW will be in theaters for awhile.

WB is going to get serious about making bluray money come September. It may linger in a few budget theatres post-home video, but the run is wrapping up.

It's kind of amazing WB's top three domestic are Batman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. When you expand to top 10 and simplify it further, it's at:

DC, DC, DC, Potter, AMERICAN SNIPER, DC, DC, Potter, LOTR, Potter.

And right now the two big franchises they're rolling with are DC and the Potter spin-offs. And I believe there was talk of a Silmarillion movie.

Maybe next they'll do American Sniper 2, where it brings in cyborg Vassili Zaitsev.

kswiston

It's kind of amazing WB's top three domestic are Batman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. When you expand to top 10 and simplify it further, it's at:

And right now the two big franchises they're rolling with are DC and the Potter spin-offs. And I believe there was talk of a Silmarillion movie.

Maybe next they'll do American Sniper 2, where it brings in cyborg Vassili Zaitsev.

If you count New Line in there, the list has more LOTR.

So that new EW info on The Last Jedi just make me more sure that Rey's connected to Ben. Do Disney have any dates set that don't have movies yet?

I used to think that WB bought DC, but the truth was closer to the opposite. So I guess it's only fitting for so many of thier biggest movies to be DC based.

J_Viper

Oh shit I forgot American Sniper made that much money

Maybe it was Chris Kyle at the end of that JL trailer

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm surprised Warner Bros is being so patient about The Batman's development. I'd be itching to get back into the "solo Batman cracking a billion" business. Not exactly the franchise you want to be having all these false starts.

Ross61

I'm surprised Warner Bros is being so patient about The Batman's development. I'd be itching to get back into the "solo Batman cracking a billion" business. Not exactly the franchise you want to be having all these false starts.

When you know you're gonna make money regardless, you can relax.

Cheebo

Banned

They had a bunch of false starts between Batman & Robin and Batman Begins so seems fitting.

And I believe there was talk of a Silmarillion movie..
WB doesn't have the rights to Silmarillion and the Tolken Estate has promised to never sell the rights. They haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated the Peter Jackson films. Hobbit & LOTR is all we are going to get till WB decides to remake them.

Jigorath

Banned
WB doesn't have the rights to Silmarillion and the Tolken Estate has promised to never sell the rights. They haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated the Peter Jackson films. Hobbit & LOTR is all we are going to get till WB decides to remake them.

I believe WB can make more Middle Earth movies, they just can't use anything from The Silmarillion.

Anth0ny

Wonder how much longer they'll wait before green-lighting the 3 part Fellowship of the Ring remake films.

the kids are WAY into high fantasy right now.

DeathyBoy

Banned

They love Reeves.

I mean dude said no and they made a better offer. Dude is their latest Nolan. They want in the Reeves game indefinitely

koch bros eh? wonder if some of the viewers would've waited before seeing if it was known beforehand?

i dont really care personally

The moment I let 'who financed this' get in the way of me enjoying a film is the day that I am truly dead inside.

The way I see it, if someone perceived as evil can actually do some good in the world, like financing a great movie, then that's a positive and not a reason to pull my support for the cast/crew that made the film. :)

jayhawker

I used to hate the Tolkien family for that, but after the atrocity that was the Hobbit, I stand with them at this point.

FTF

I understand hating the Hobbit movies, but they hated the LOTR trilogy too??

$50 is the floor, huh?

So the last thread kicking $60 around for OW wasn't that outlandish.

Either way, it's breaking September's OW record.

AndyVirus

So that new EW info on The Last Jedi just make me more sure that Rey's connected to Ben. Do Disney have any dates set that don't have movies yet?

Having Rey's parents revealed as Kenobis in The Last Jedi then next year announcing a "how I met your grandmother" Obi Wan movie for 2020 definitely feels like a safe prediction.

Unless you meant Kylo Ren.

Cheebo

Banned
I do wonder what Lucasfilm plans to do about 2020 and Star Wars.

They already have a movie coming out July 2020 (Indiana Jones). Will they skip a year post-Episode 9 and let Indiana Jones 5 be their one release that year?

I always find it kind of interesting that people seem to forget that Steven Spielberg is gearing up to direct another Indiana Jones film in not too long that already has a locked in release date.

Top Bottom