• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 8•04-06•17 - Man in Black kidnaps #1, Dun' not done son, Woman nears $400m DOM

Cheebo

Banned
Ford is in it but there is no chance he is going to be the lead. No way. Noooooo way. It will be another Blade Runner 2049 sort of deal. That or flashbacks with old man Indy achoring it.

He'll be 76-77 when this is filming. He isn't going to be leading DisneyLucasfilm's big summer 2020 blockbuster. He is in it just for torch passing reasons.

Didn't Iger himself say this film they hope will kickstart the Indiana Jones franchise to release movies more regularly?
Do you not want another old man Indy adventure?

An adventure in a nursing home?
New Indiana Jones movie means Marvel will be doing some Indy comics around then. You'll love that.

Cheebo

Banned
They paid off Paramount to secure distribution rights to future Indy movies which Paramount still had. You be the one to tell Bob Iger he can't get his money back on that.

You'll be blubbering like a baby when the teaser drops in 2019 Bobby. "Short Round...we're home."

Who said anything about not making more Indy movies.

I'm talking about not making THAT one.

Shitcan the bad approach and choose a different one.

One that doesn't bring back Ford.

edit: I'm not angry! Or I'm always angry. one of the two. I forget which

Cheebo

Banned
Who said anything about not making more Indy movies.

I'm talking about not making THAT one.

Shitcan the bad approach and choose a different one.

One that doesn't bring back Ford.
You don't think Kathy Kennedy and Steven Spielberg are smart enough to not realize you can't have Ford in his mid-70s leading a film in 2020?

He is going to be anchoring the movie at best passing the torch to some new actor.

I think bringing back Ford at all is a bad idea and I dont think its the only way to make an Indy movie.

I would rather they not go that direction. I think its a bad one.

AndyVirus

They'll have grown up Mutt played by Bradley Cooper take over.

Last Crusade is still maybe the most wonderful end to a film imo. That or Toy Story 3. If only those moments ended the franchises.

Cheebo

Banned
I think bringing back Ford at all is a bad idea and I dont think its the only way to make an Indy movie.

I would rather they not go that direction. I think its a bad one.
Okay assuming they don't shitcan it, which is unlikely as they reconfirmed Spielberg and Ford are still on board when they announced a release date for it earlier this year. How do you think Kathy Kennedy plans to kickstart this franchise with Ford in it? As clearly this is not going to be planned as a one off.

They will have him bookending it I am betting. Old man Indy finding some artifact that related to an adventure in his past. You pass the torch to new actor with Ford getting his ego stroked and have just the new actor playing Indy after that.

That or give old man Ford a sidekick who isn't Mutt who he passes the whip onto and the franchise moves on with them.

Which if they do that I hope is a female character.

Kathy knows what she is doing Bobby.

Cast Chris Pine as a new Indy like everyone wants, and get Zachary Quinto to play his trusty adult version of Short Round.

Then set it in space.

My first Alien movie was Resurrection.

I'd seen parts of the first 2 here and there at friend's houses, and I even remember PLAYING Aliens on the elementary school playground when I was in like, 5th grade I think? Little kids yelling Hudson and Ripley's lines and making machine gun noises while some kid crawls around the jungle gym hissing and spitting.

But the first one I sat down and watched front to back was Resurrection.

I was told shortly thereafter I should really take time to see the first two because this wasn't the greatest of intros.

I think we watched one of the Special Editions as a chaser.

The 90s sucked.

kswiston

Breh I don't even. You haven't seen the greatest action movie ever made? I hope you catch the 3D remaster of T2 this month. You better.

He'll wait for the 2019 relaunch. I'm sure that it's Scott Eastwood's turn to play Kyle Reese or the Kyle Reese equivalent.

Cheebo

Banned
Can we cast Scott Eastwood as Ivan Drago Jr. in Creed 2 just to watch Bobby burst a blood vessel?

Please.

Cooger is going to opt out of directing it and Stallone will start putting his hands all over the script. You can SENSE it Bobby. You know it.

Cheebo

Banned
The sad thing is Cooger deciding he doesn't want to make a sequel and Stallone starting to throw his weight around with shitty ideas is sadly not that unrealistic.

kswiston

I'd seen parts of the first 2 here and there at friend's houses, and I even remember PLAYING Aliens on the elementary school playground when I was in like, 5th grade I think? Little kids yelling Hudson and Ripley's lines and making machine gun noises while some kid crawls around the jungle gym hissing and spitting.

But the first one I sat down and watched front to back was Resurrection.

I was told shortly thereafter I should really take time to see the first two because this wasn't the greatest of intros.

I think we watched one of the Special Editions as a chaser.

The 90s sucked.

I guess some of that might depend on your parents at that age. My dad loved that stuff, so I was well versed in the Alien series before 3 was out.

I first saw Aliens on Canada's version of HBO, so I'd guess 1988 or so, given the home media windows back then.

I didnt watch the Godfather films until I was in my late 20s though.

- They use the young Indy framing sequence with old Indy (Ford) telling his stories to a kid, but most of the movie is new actor. (My guess.)

- They use the young Indy framing sequence with old Indy (not Ford) telling his stories to a kid, but most of the movie is new actor.

- Ford comes back to repass the mantle onto someone who's not Shia. (Bad)

- Older Mutt taking on the name. (Very bad.)

- Modern day Indy descendant (essentially Uncharted)

Cheebo

Banned
- They use the young Indy framing sequence with old Indy (Ford) telling his stories to a kid, but most of the movie is new actor. (My guess.)
Yep. My prediction as well. Old man Ford telling a story with most of the film with new actor as Indy. Future films after are just with the new Indy.

And almost certainly it will be Spielbergs final go around behind the camera of the franchise (possibly his final go around in the summer blockbuster game).

Following Lucasfilm tradition, Daisy Ridley will be cast as Indy's young protege for the torch-passing and what not.

Climax of the film is an embattled Mutt impaling Indy with a rapier on a rope bridge.

Cheebo

Banned
Scott Eastwood IS Ivan Drago Jr in Creed 2. Directed and written by Sly Stallone. And it will have Jason Statham because why not.

I want Shia. Dude blew his career so fucking hard.

I don't think he did, technically, he just happened to be in Michael Bay movies for too long. I mean, I did not aggressively dislike him until Revenge of the Fallen. After that, he could suddenly no right anymore. Some of those posts survive on this board too (and I'm perfectly willing to admit I can be a total shitheel at times), but him sitting through all his movies changed that for the better. But that's a long ass time for mountains of irrational hate because nobody could explain why the fucking movie was to blame for it (until Lindsay Ellis did recently in her 'the whole plate' series, thank god for that).
It's kind of a familiar 'young actor trap' now, if you watched this Garfield and Amy Adams discussion, where Garfield mentioned that he was too young to notice that kind of trap with the Amazing Spider-Man movies (which he naturally regrets a lot, because those things will -and probably do- haunt his career for years).

--------

edit:

I think it's a really bad idea to continue Indy as a franchise though, because of the insane cultural insensitivity involved with that particular kind of colonialism. Same reason why 'The Mummy' is not viable anymore: white people mostly just burned mummies they found as -and this not a joke- heater material (fireplace). COLONIALISM! Ain't nobody gonna pay to see that shit again.
So yeah, Bobby's right, shit can that fucker.

Then again, a similar thing happens with Disney using "diversity" as a marketing ploy for a franchise stuck in the early 80's (meaning it's a 'white people story for white people' no matter how much you want to pretend it isn't), which uses the actual imagery and iconography of FASCISM. I mean, let that properly sink in for a moment: that's literally saying 'nah it's okay man, brothers just wanna be nazis too now'. I'm sorry, but that whole setup is ludicrous, and it can't be fixed without dumping the whole franchise into the furnace of oblivion where it belongs.
It might also explain the more exact nature of why Fast & The Furious works so well on that angle: because it's not stuck in the past (though electric cars will certainly kill it), it's set in our modern world and its relations, and it doesn't want a fucking medal for doing the right thing without asking or having to be asked.

All these old franchise, with the inclusion of the politics of their times, just need to be left in the past. They have nothing to say about our present or future.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Same. It was on HBO constantly. I probably saw it at least 10 times before I watched Alien or Aliens for the first time.

And my first Star Wars was Episode 1. But I gotta imagine that's somewhat common among 90s kids.

Caode

My first Aliens movie was AvP.

giphy.gif

kswiston

I don't think he did, technically, he just happened to be in Michael Bay movies for too long. I mean, I did not aggressively dislike him until Revenge of the Fallen. After that, he could suddenly no right anymore. Some of those posts survive on this board too (and I'm perfectly willing to admit I can be a total shitheel at times), but him sitting through all his movies changed that for the better. But that's a long ass time for mountains of irrational hate because nobody could explain why the fucking movie was to blame for it (until Lindsay Ellis did recently in her 'the whole plate' series, thank god for that).
It's kind of a familiar 'young actor trap' now, if you watched this Garfield and Amy Adams discussion, where Garfield mentioned that he was too young to notice that kind of trap with the Amazing Spider-Man movies (which he naturally regrets a lot, because those things will -and probably do- haunt his career for years).

Shia ruined his career by being a nutjob in his personal life. Transformers and Indy 4 didn't do any harm. He could have done those, transferred to smaller films, and have been more than fine. If he happened to behave like a normal person.

Anth0ny

My first Aliens movie was Alien.

And I was like "holy shit this guy must have played a lot of metroid before making this movie. it's great!"

then I watched Aliens.

And I was like "wow, that was a lot worse than the original Alien! And apparently that was supposed to be a good one and the rest are waaaaay worse? I guess I'm done watching Alien movies forever!"

I guess some of that might depend on your parents at that age. My dad loved that stuff, so I was well versed in the Alien series before 3 was out.

I first saw Aliens on Canada's version of HBO, so I'd guess 1988 or so, given the home media windows back then.

I didnt watch the Godfather films until I was in my late 20s though.

I still haven't seen the Godfather movies, and they're sitting on DVD no more than 10 feet away from me right now.

Also, my first watchings of the mainline Star Wars films is in timeline order (as in, I purposefully didn't watch A New Hope until after I saw Revenge of the Sith).

And I can't remember if I watched Alien or Prometheus first. Still haven't seen Aliens.

Somehow I missed Indy V moving to 2020.

I think Alien on sci-fi channel was my first. My favorite of Ridley's is Alien, but I always thought Black Hawk Down was him at the top of his directing game.

Baby Driver should be crossing $100 million this weekend, right?

Top Bottom