• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 8•04-06•17 - Man in Black kidnaps #1, Dun' not done son, Woman nears $400m DOM

FTF

It might still miss that. China legs are hard to predict. Over $800M is going to happen. People who follow China box office closer than I do think that it has a shot at passing 6B RMB, which is currently around $900M. So probably spitting distance, even if TFA's single territory recond holds.

Thanks. And yeah, I have no real feel or knowledge of China's box office or legs or how long movies are allowed to stay in theaters (isn't there a 30 day thing?), etc.

Also, what caused this to break out so massively? Was the first a big hit? (Can't find any bo details on mojo).

kswiston

Thanks. And yeah, I have no real feel or knowledge of China's box office or legs or how long movies are allowed to stay in theaters (isn't there a 30 day thing?), etc.

Also, what caused this to break out so massively? Was the first a big hit? (Can't find any bo details on mojo).

Domestic films don't have strict run stipulations, I don't think. WW2 definitely won't.

The first film made about $90M in China. Word of mouth is causing the breakout. This film was expected to be big, but $150-200M total big.

I guess the Chinese public decided that this was the film that represented their patriotism for some reason. I am not Chinese, and have not seen the film, so I can only repeat what I have heard.

Lima

War Apes was even better the second time around. What a god damn fine movie. Really noticed how this is part of the few blockbusters that have child characters that aren't annoying. She was rather charming. I'm sure her inability to speak plays a huge part in that though.
Damn shame that this will end up making less money than Dawn.

Wonder Woman hitting 400m domestic is an amazing thing.

Don't know if it's going to squeak into the top five goal that's laid out for it, but this is more than enough of an achievement - with 800ww still to come.

What does the swisman have to say about WW hitting over 409 domestic to knock off Iron Man 3?

Looks like Sony Pictures will finally have good results in their financial year

The impairment charge is the only reason they lost money last year (so they didn't really lose money). Sony has made failures, but they haven't been GitS or King Arthur (or Monster Trucks) level failures, so they're just plugging along as a company right now.

Davide

The timing for War for the Planet of the Apes was awful, coming in-between a critically acclaimed fun crowd pleaser and an actual war movie. The first two were great and I still haven't seen it. Should have released in August like the first one.

Miles X

I hadn't realised Japan could be a huge win for films? BATB did over $100m there?! I wonder if this can get WW to $850m WW, $870m (Above GOTG2) or even $900m?

Phamit

I hadn't realised Japan could be a huge win for films? BATB did over $100m there?! I wonder if this can get WW to $850m WW, $870m (Above GOTG2) or even $900m?

Superhero movies usually don't do that much in Japan, except maybe Spider-Man.

MikeMyers

Domestic films don't have strict run stipulations, I don't think. WW2 definitely won't.

The first film made about $90M in China. Word of mouth is causing the breakout. This film was expected to be big, but $150-200M total big.

I guess the Chinese public decided that this was the film that represented their patriotism for some reason. I am not Chinese, and have not seen the film, so I can only repeat what I have heard.
Maybe it's a Terminator 2 situation when the 2nd film catch on eat more than the first.

kswiston

Japan loves Disney. Japan does not love western superheroes. Spider-man has a bigger following than most superheroes in Japan, but even those movies aren't blowing the doors off of the box office. The Raimi films averaged $55-60M each. The Pirates films during the same era did $60-90M. Amazing Spider-Man 2 did $30M on much more favorable exchange rates, and that was the top superhero gross of the last 3 years I believe.

Japan loves Disney. Japan does not love western superheroes. Spider-man has a bigger following than most superheroes in Japan, but even those movies aren't blowing the doors off of the box office. The Raimi films averaged $55-60M each. The Pirates films during the same era did $60-90M.

Kind of off topic, but that reminds me that they haven't announced a Frozen world in KH3, which I though was going to be like the first thing they announced.

Slayven

Japan loves Disney. Japan does not love western superheroes. Spider-man has a bigger following than most superheroes in Japan, but even those movies aren't blowing the doors off of the box office. The Raimi films averaged $55-60M each. The Pirates films during the same era did $60-90M. Amazing Spider-Man 2 did $30M on much more favorable exchange rates, and that was the top superhero gross of the last 3 years I believe.

Doesn';t help they always get released going up against the home team

wrapper.png

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Optimism!

Years ago, it was announced that Universal would be adapting the comic book Cowboy Ninja Viking with Chris Pratt as the lead. They finally dated the film for June 28, 2019. I guess Pratt is also producing now.

*looks at Cowboys & Aliens opening*
*looks at Passengers & Magnificent 7 opening*

I think we know how this country song ends. Lol but seriously , it could be fun.

Slayven

Don't think he's got anything against it.

Then again, Thanos and little girls always been a weird topic
sitdown2.png

You know what is funny, originally Thanos was just going to be crazy and thought he was talking to Death. They actually did this idea in the Silver Surfer cartoon

I cannot believe Sony is going to make money on Emoji. Unbelievable.
This has to constantly be said, the 'budget' is just the movie. Not the marketing and other factors. Also, not every dollar goes to the makers. Money is split many different ways

Certinty

The Emoji movie was fine, a typical kids movie really. Glad it's done alright, the reviews for it are a joke.

Can't say it's too surprising Valerian flopped hard though, not that it's a bad movie but a completely forgettable one.

Mario007

There was a massive campaign on Weibo stating the director got into shitload of debt to shoot the movie and people have generally responded by trying to support that sort of behavior. The mermaid had a similar online campaign where peoole wanted to give back to the director as a lot of the previous films he put out people pirated.

On top of that, Chinese patriotism is being pumped up now as there will be a change of leadership, it's the Army's 90th birthday etc. However most people seem to actually not enjoy those patriotic elements. From what I've seen basically its the first fully slick Hollywood style blockbuster with Chinese relatable themes and the audiences responded to it.

Top Bottom