• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•18-20 •12 Avengers sinks the Battleship & drowns The Dictator

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdFoX187

Banned
I was sort of hoping The Hunger Games could limp on to $400 million. A month ago, I never would have thought it would pass HP7.5.

Besides that adjusting numbers isnt a real guage. Different market conditions and all that, we have already discussed this at length.

It will cross 400M. I cant see it stopping at 397M or 398M.

Memorial Day will help. The only barrier is the loss of theaters, which I'd assume would be higher than Revenge of the Fallen at this point, still, the Hunger Games will probably have a strong dollar theater run.

artist

Banned
Memorial Day will help. The only barrier is the loss of theaters, which I'd assume would be higher than Revenge of the Fallen at this point, still, the Hunger Games will probably have a strong dollar theater run.
FWIW, Ep1 (3D re-release) made 316 dollars in all of US last weekend.

That means less than one ticket sold in each state over the entire weekend and yet its still playing in theatres.

I'm taking the wife, 2 kids, father in law, sister in law, and her kids to see Avengers this weekend. I hope the rest of America does the same! I can't wait to see how they like it! I hope lots of people do the same and give Avengers another breat weekend.

kswiston

Besides that adjusting numbers isnt a real guage. Different market conditions and all that, we have already discussed this at length.

It will cross 400M. I cant see it stopping at 397M or 398M.

I mostly agree., though stranger things have happened (look at Gnomeo and Juliet. Disney didn't even bother pushing it the extra $33k needed to break $100M). I do think it will be the lowest grossing movie to cross that barrier though. Even under Revenge of the Fallen.

FWIW, Ep1 (3D re-release) made 316 dollars in all of US last weekend.

That means less than one ticket sold in each state over the entire weekend and yet its still playing in theatres.

Yeah that's just weird, but still, it needs to be in a fair amount of theaters if it wants to make decent progress.

kswiston

Look at the weekend chart for the initial 1977 release if you don't believe me.

EDIT: I am not trying to dispute the fact that Star Wars made ton of money when it was release, but there has been a lot of revisionist history with adjusted for inflation totals. Most of the big movies near the top of the chart were re-released a number of times. Most of those re-releases were not documented like they are now. Some films returned to theatres yearly, or every few years.

Titanic had the largest initial run in movie history, even adjusted for inflation. E.T. is the only other contender.

Yes. Star Wars, E.T. and the Lion King would not be in the top 10 if we were only going by initial grosses. E.T. would be the only one in the top 20.

However, it has never fallen out of the top 5 until now. The lowest it had ever been before the re-release was 4th place (after E.T., Jurassic Park, and Forrest Gump). After the re-release, it was briefly #1 until Titanic, and then #2 for over 10 years before TDK. Avatar pushed it to fourth, and the Episode 1 re-release pushed it to 5th.

It's kind of sad to see it out of the Top 5. It will almost certainly get back in there when it is re-released, however.

This year will wind up seeing a lot of changes at the top of the list. Episode I jumping over several films, Avengers entering, and The Dark Knight Rises in a couple of months. It's kind of weird to see so much change there.

kswiston

$4.9M for the Avengers on Tuesday.

That's a 42% drop from last week. The movie should pass The Phantom Menace on Thursday, and enter the weekend with ~$475M.

$45M+ for the 4-day weekend means that The Dark Knight will be dethroned by June 3rd at the latest. Box Office Mojo's total for Avengers doesn't include overseas Monday and Tuesday, so the movie is likely past $1.2 billion worldwide at this point. Avengers will pass Deathly Hallows 2 worldwide around the same time that it passes The Dark Knight domestically. Maybe a day or two earlier.

And that will be the end of Avengers' climb on the worldwide and domestic charts. It has a shot at $600M domestic and $1.5B worldwide, but it's not going to overtake Titanic in either region.

Road

The Avengers is the highest grossing movie of all-time in Brazil in BRL -- R$ 105.7 million (not the highest in in USD given the different currency rates).

It's still way behind in attendance: currently 10th with 8.77 million tickets (Titanic is the first with 16.38m tickets on its first release).

Latest worlwide total: $1,219,600,000

kswiston

The Avengers is the highest grossing movie of all-time in Brazil in BRL -- R$ 105.7 million (not the highest in in USD given the different currency rates).

It's still way behind in attendance: currently 10th with 8.77 million tickets (Titanic is the first with 16.38m tickets on its first release).

Latest worlwide total: $1,219,600,000

Avengers is also the highest grossing movie overall in Latin America.

Wednesday gross for the Avengers was just under $4M. Down 19% from Tuesday and 37% from last week.

It looks like the Avengers will be about $80M ahead of The Dark Knight after the same number of days this coming Monday. The Avengers only needs to beat TDK by $67M to hit $600M domestically. Seems to be a fairly safe bet at this point.

Road

BOM guesses: http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3446&p=.htm

Four-Day Forecast (May 25-28)
1. MIB 3 - $84 million
2. The Avengers - $41.7 million (-25%)
3. Battleship - $15.3 million (-40%)
4. Chernobyl Diaries - $14.8 million
5. The Dictator - $11.5 million (-34%)

BO.com guesses: http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/long_term_predictions?w=1

Men in Black 3 $73,000,000 --
Marvel's The Avengers $46,000,000 -17%
Battleship $17,000,000 -33%
The Dictator $13,500,000 -23%
Chernobyl Diaries $13,000,000 --

duckroll

BOM guesses: http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3446&p=.htm

Four-Day Forecast (May 25-28)
1. MIB 3 - $84 million
2. The Avengers - $41.7 million (-25%)
3. Battleship - $15.3 million (-40%)
4. Chernobyl Diaries - $14.8 million
5. The Dictator - $11.5 million (-34%)

BO.com guesses: http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/long_term_predictions?w=1

Men in Black 3 $73,000,000 --
Marvel's The Avengers $46,000,000 -17%
Battleship $17,000,000 -33%
The Dictator $13,500,000 -23%
Chernobyl Diaries $13,000,000 --

I suggest we give the OP of the next Box Office thread to whichever site was closer in their guess. :)

witness

Seems like BOM has a considerably lower prediction for Avengers compared to EW. EW has Avengers for $43 million for just the 3 day weekend, while BOM has it at $41 million for the 4 day weekend. Either way that's a pretty small drop, especially if EW is right, should cruise to $600 million with a hold like that.

kswiston

Avengers Thursday was $4.4M, which puts it past Phantom Menace for 4th place domestically.

If its weekend increases follow Iron Man 2, Memorial day weekend will look like this:

Friday: $10.6M
Saturday: $14.7M
Sunday: $14M
Monday: $11M

$39.3M 3-Day; $50.3M 4-Day

That would put Avengers at $528M by Monday. At worst, it will be past $520M.

Box Office Mojo's prediction is way too pessimistic. The weekday drops have been good this week, so I don't see how Avengers drops worse than Thor or Iron Man 2 this weekend. Both of those movies had competition as well. Especially Thor. They have underpredicted The Avengers every weekend so far though.

3N16MA

Banned
MiB3 is not the type of film that is going to get a lot of midnight viewers or a bunch of early ticket sales. Plenty of walk ins on the weekend.

MiB3 is not the type of film that is going to get a lot of midnight viewers or a bunch of early ticket sales. Plenty of walk ins on the weekend.

Yeah, seems pretty dumb to even bother with a midnight showing. I'm sure it's going to do great the next few days when entire families pile into theaters for it.

artist

Banned
Its exactly like how 18M midnight gross for Avengers had people loling at a 175M weekend number. We all know how that turned out.

Non-event films have insignificant midnight numbers.

Tom_Cody

Men in Black 3 midnight gross was $1.55M

Yeah, seems pretty dumb to even bother with a midnight showing. I'm sure it's going to do great the next few days when entire families pile into theaters for it.

Its exactly like how 18M midnight gross for Avengers had people loling at a 175M weekend number. We all know how that turned out.

Non-event films have insignificant midnight numbers.
Uh, The Immortals did $1.4M Thursday midnight and that opened at 32M for the weekend.

I'm going to call sub $50M 3-day. I've been bullish on this for the past two months, but that's a pretty disappointing midnight number.

I doubt you can extrapolate much from the midnight number.

It's been a dormant franchise for 10 years and it may skew family friendly (bigger Saturday and Sunday jumps, especially combined with Memorial Day weekend). There's really no idea to tell what it ends up meaning for the weekend really until we get a look at how matinee business is doing, which I suspect won't be that strong today, but will pick up in the night.

JdFoX187

Banned
Uh, The Immortals did $1.4M Thursday midnight and that opened at 32M for the weekend.

I'm going to call sub $50M 3-day. I've been bullish on this for the past two months, but that's a pretty disappointing midnight number.

Midnight numbers have no baring on the final weekend totals. That's what people are trying to say. This will probably do well over $50 million for the weekend, not even counting Monday's holiday.

Tom_Cody

I doubt you can extrapolate much from the midnight number.

It's been a dormant franchise for 10 years and it may skew family friendly (bigger Saturday and Sunday jumps, especially combined with Memorial Day weekend). There's really no idea to tell what it ends up meaning for the weekend really until we get a look at how matinee business is doing, which I suspect won't be that strong today, but will pick up in the night.
I guess that's the point I am trying to make- the lack of excitement. A few weeks ago I had been expecting an opening of around 100M based on Will Smith's star power and the history of the franchise.

I take the midnight number as evidence of lukewarm interest in the franchise and thus its box office prospects.

Well, we will know in a few hours I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom