• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•18-20 •12 Avengers sinks the Battleship & drowns The Dictator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

Len Wiseman directs well-made shit. It may be complete shit but it looks how much it cost. I thought Live Free looked good (expect some of that plane CGI) and the trailer for Total Recall looks like it cost dat money.

I don't see why so many hate Worthington. He's never really offended me, but I also have never seen the Titan films. I have a feeling that movie is the cause as it pissed off pretty much everyone that saw it.

He's sucked in everything I've ever seen him star in, although Clash of the Titans was a special level of suckitude that's hard to reach. I'd be willing to bet his stand in could have done a better job.

MechDX

jacqueline-bisset-at-hmz03.gif

It's a dream

sigh....yeah I know but I can dream.

Alrus

Oh yeah. Totall Recall isn't going to do well, at all. Don't know what the fuck they were thinking there. Farrell in the lead says it all.

I remember when they announced it, I thought it was going to be like Underworld, where the budget is more modest and it would be R rated. Why else would they cast Colin? He is box office poison. Then I see it's a big, expensive enterprise and I scratch my head.

Sony made a 120m Rom-Com, nothing they do surprises me anymore.

Tobor

Nah. I just don't hate actors for being mediocre, man. I find Andy Dick offensive. You have to be actively awful for me to hate you as an actor.

Being mediocre is a far worse sin, IMO. We used to require character from our leading men. Charm, personality. These guys barely qualify as actors. More like meat props that exist to hold up wardrobe and fill space.

kswiston

Weekend Actual for the Avengers ended up being $55,644,102 (about $600k higher than the estimate). This brings the drop to 46%.

Avengers will enter the domestic Top 5 tomorrow.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
That's what I mean. Aside from Fright Night last year, he hasn't done a whole lot of mainstream Hollywood movies as of late. Someone took a chance and gave him that role. I do think Sony Pictures were fools to not only give Len Wiseman $200 million -- despite my love of the Unverworld series -- but to also let Collin Farrell headline it.

200 Million? I thought it was another low 100 million, maybe less. Guess we need another bomba this year.

Also, I don't see why people want Marvel to get Spiderman back. As of right now, Sony is 2/3 with them. Spiderman 1 was decent and Spiderman 2 is still one of the best. Amazing Spider, I'll with hold judgement on, but it doesn't look too bad either. Leaving 3 potentially being the only mishap. Compared to Marvel which finally delivered a competent movie, after 6 attempts.

JdFoX187

Banned
200 Million? I thought it was another low 100 million, maybe less. Guess we need another bomba this year.

Also, I don't see why people want Marvel to get Spiderman back. As of right now, Sony is 2/3 with them. Spiderman 1 was decent and Spiderman 2 is still one of the best. Amazing Spider, I'll with hold judgement on, but it doesn't look too bad either. Leaving 3 potentially being the only mishap. Compared to Marvel which finally delivered a competent movie, after 6 attempts.

People want to see Spider-Man show up in the Avengers despite the fact his presence would completely ruin the movie since he would probably show up all the other heroes.

kswiston

You'd be in the minority of people if you thought Iron Man 1 was a bad comic book film. Spider-man 2 is one of my favourite comic films, but I'm not a huge fan of the first movie. That and X-men 1 benefited by coming out at a time where comic films had sucked for a decade.

jtb

Banned
Spiderman 2 is miles, miles better than any of the shit Marvel has churned out. I'm a Garfield fan, not a Marc Webb fan though, and the screenplay looks like a trainwreck waiting to happen (Peter Parker is not Jesus, you dumb motherfuckers. He's like... the opposite of Jesus. Ugh)... new one could go either way.

The only great Marvel movie is
the first 45 minutes of the Incredible Hulk.

Spiderman 2 is miles, miles better than any of the shit Marvel has churned out. I'm a Garfield fan, not a Marc Webb fan though, and the screenplay looks like a trainwreck waiting to happen (Peter Parker is not Jesus, you dumb motherfuckers. He's like... the opposite of Jesus. Ugh)... new one could go either way.

The only great Marvel movie is
the first 45 minutes of the Incredible Hulk.
What. Iron Man is good. >:|

What. Iron Man is good. >:|

Thor is actually pretty good IMO. I was never particularly interested in the Asgard/realm worlds in the comics, but I found the main characters pretty well executed and enjoyed the Warriors 3 and Lady Sif.

Captain America was pretty bad though. I like the development of the character itself, but that was about it.

Thor is actually pretty good IMO. I was never particularly interested in the Asgard/realm worlds in the comics, but I found the main characters pretty well executed and enjoyed the Warriors 3 and Lady Sif.

Captain America was pretty bad though. I like the development of the character itself, but that was about it.
I really wanted to like Thor, but it didn't do much for me. Captain America wasn't very good, I agree.

You can make a case either way. He got him 2 paydays but both were in movies that were sure to fail, and both had a really good chance to fail. I would think a good agent might have gotten him to do less risky movies.

A Princess of Mars was the template for Star Wars and Avatar. That movie should've been a huge hit. Stanton snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

People want to see Spider-Man show up in the Avengers despite the fact his presence would completely ruin the movie since he would probably show up all the other heroes.

Yea, I like the shared universe, but only to an extent. The Avengers cast works well together, but I don't want Spider-man or the X-men to show up out of nowhere. Aside from how crowded the cast becomes, I always thought it strained credibility that all those heroes lived in the same city but somehow had separate adventures. I know the Fantastic Four were always off in another dimension, but if Magneto is rampaging through Manhattan, the fucking Avengers are going to show up. Every time. I think X-men, Spider-man, and the Avengers should all stay in separate universes.

artist

Banned
artist, stop hotlinking from shitty ass malware sites.
1. Didnt hotlink, it was my own upload.
2. abload.de isnt malware site. If it was then the Total Recall pic would also trigger the alarm.
3. I think the filename triggered the alarm, so I edited out the gif. It seems fine within the quote, weird.
4. Glad to see so many Chrome users on GAF.

duckroll

1. Didnt hotlink, it was my own upload.
2. abload.de isnt malware site. If it was then the Total Recall pic would also trigger the alarm.
3. I think the filename triggered the alarm, so I edited out the gif. It seems fine within the quote, weird.
4. Glad to see so many Chrome users on GAF.

The Total Recall pic is the one triggering the alarm. It is not hosted on abload. Unless you run Aceshowbiz, it isn't your own upload. If you do, then you're running a malware site.

artist

Banned
Thats weird duckroll, fixed it. Could you remove it from the quotes as well, much appreciated.

Really strange that I dont get the warning after I fixed the filename.

duckroll

Okay I think we're good. With Chrome, if you dismiss the warning message, you generally don't see it again on that same page even if you refresh, etc.

kswiston

$5.6M Monday for the Avengers. Total is now $463M. Star Wars has been kicked out of the top 5 after 35 years. Depending on how TDKR performs it might be #7 by the end of the year.

EDIT: Monday was Victoria day in Canada, which boosted box office takes slightly.

WillyFive

I know Star Wars' undoing was because of inflation (I mean, I don't think I've seen round-the-block lines for a single airing of The Avengers like with Star Wars), but man, that's still impressive.

kswiston

Star Wars was only 5th because of the 97 rerelease right? Didn't that make a ton of money?

Yes. Star Wars, E.T. and the Lion King would not be in the top 10 if we were only going by initial grosses. E.T. would be the only one in the top 20.

However, it has never fallen out of the top 5 until now. The lowest it had ever been before the re-release was 4th place (after E.T., Jurassic Park, and Forrest Gump). After the re-release, it was briefly #1 until Titanic, and then #2 for over 10 years before TDK. Avatar pushed it to fourth, and the Episode 1 re-release pushed it to 5th.

Star Wars was only 5th because of the 97 rerelease right? Didn't that make a ton of money?

Even if you take out the rerelease and take into account inflation star wars todays money would be 1.17 billion domestic alone it would still be number 2 ahead of Sound of Music which is at 1.12 billion

Yes. Star Wars, E.T. and the Lion King would not be in the top 10 if we were only going by initial grosses. E.T. would be the only one in the top 20.

However, it has never fallen out of the top 5 until now. The lowest it had ever been before the re-release was 4th place (after E.T., Jurassic Park, and Forrest Gump). After the re-release, it was briefly #1 until Titanic, and then #2 for over 10 years before TDK. Avatar pushed it to fourth, and the Episode 1 re-release pushed it to 5th.

Wrong . If you take out rerelease star wars would still be at number 2 with 1.17 billion gross domestic

kswiston

Even if you take out the rerelease and take into account inflation star wars todays money would be 1.17 billion domestic alone it would still be number 2 ahead of Sound of Music which is at 1.12 billion

Box Office Mojo's inflation number for Star Wars is not accurate.

Wrong . If you take out rerelease star wars would still be at number 2 with 1.17 billion gross domestic

I was obviously talking about actual grosses, like everyone talks about in these threads. So, no, none of that is wrong.

kswiston

So Hunger Games is at $391.9M after 60 days. Transformers 2 was at $398.2 after the same number of days, but was making less money per day at that point.

The Hunger Games' 9th weekend was about the same size as Revenge of the Fallen's 7th weekend. After its 7th weekend, Revenge of the Fallen made another $8.3M. That would put the Hunger Games at almost exactly $400M. The Hunger Games has had better holds, but Transformers 2 had summer weekdays. Also, the Hunger Games is going to lose most of its theatres in the next 3 weeks and will probably start seeing larger drops (it's still playing in 2000 locations, and newer movies are going to need those screens as the release schedule picks up). It's going to be close.

artist

Banned
Box Office Mojo's inflation number for Star Wars is not accurate.
Besides that adjusting numbers isnt a real guage. Different market conditions and all that, we have already discussed this at length.

So Hunger Games is at $391.9M after 60 days. Transformers 2 was at $398.2 after the same number of days, but was making less money per day at that point.

The Hunger Games' 9th weekend was about the same size as Revenge of the Fallen's 7th weekend. After its 7th weekend, Revenge of the Fallen made another $8.3M. That would put the Hunger Games at almost exactly $400M. The Hunger Games has had better holds, but Transformers 2 had summer weekdays. Also, the Hunger Games is going to lose most of its theatres in the next 3 weeks and will probably start seeing larger drops. It's going to be close.
It will cross 400M. I cant see it stopping at 397M or 398M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom