• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•18-20 •12 Avengers sinks the Battleship & drowns The Dictator

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet over 50% of the grosses for Avengers came from 3D. 3D is not going anywhere.

He's giving you the reasons for that.

jM94hvDO1SsGq.png

I think Battleship would have done significantly better had it not been for its release window in the US. His next movie is scheduled for release next to The Amazing Spiderman? It'll flop, and then GAF will blame him

I think Battleship would have done significantly better had it not been for its release window in the US. His next movie is scheduled for release next to The Amazing Spiderman? It'll flop, and then GAF will blame him
I think Kitsch is a good guy but he doesn't need to be headlining blockbusters, hopefully he'll continue to get work in smaller or indie films though.

I think Kitsch is a good guy but he doesn't need to be headlining blockbusters, hopefully he'll continue to get work in smaller or indie films though.

Good? That's certainly debatable. He was 'good' in FNL, but his character was mostly a monotone drunk, the last season where he had to show some emotion were hilariously bad.

Ultratech

Kitsch was good in John Carter and serviceable in Battleship. He just has bad luck when it comes to picking projects.

If I were him, I'd fire my agent. (Or whoever picked those movies.)

It's not entirely his fault those movies failed anyways, but I bet it sucks to be Kitsch right now.

It's not entirely his fault those movies failed anyways, but I bet it sucks to be Kitsch right now.

Why? His agent managed to get someone from a barely watched TV show to lead two big budget movies.

The blame, if there is any to be handed out, should be placed directly at Kitsch's door with some going to Disney/Universal for blundering the ad campaign for both movies.

DMczaf

His agent took a TV actor with little film experience from a show that was airing exclusively first on DirecTV and got him the lead role in 2 $200M+ blockbuster movies in the same year.

His agent should go to the Hall of Fame.

His agent took a TV actor with little film experience from a show that was airing exclusively first on DirecTV and got him the lead role in 2 $200M+ blockbuster movies in the same year.

You can make a case either way. He got him 2 paydays but both were in movies that were sure to fail, and both had a really good chance to fail. I would think a good agent might have gotten him to do less risky movies.

y2dvd

People in my theater were loving Black Widow, and loved everything Banner did. They were also audibly shocked at Coulson dying. As for Hawkeye, I just think he's cool.

Pretty much all of this. Coulson's getting impaled got the biggest gasp I've heard in the theaters in a long while. There were plenty of children at my 2nd screening and The Hulk got the biggest pop outta them every single time. Black Widow's back shot when talking to Loki while he was locked up got some whistles again lol.

Evans/Hemsworth/Ruffalo have to be feeling pretty salty about it though.

RDJ is more established of an actor than them and he made Marvel the most money outta the Ironman films. I'm sure those actors understands why RDJ gets paid more.

Not before Sam Worthington's agent. Took an absolute nobody and somehow convinced people that he should steal Bale and Arnie's screen time in Terminator and star in the biggest action movie of all time. He got a teen choice award ffs! He was living in his car at the time. His agent is either Mephisto, or the greatest agent of all time.

Not before Sam Worthington's agent. Took an absolute nobody and somehow convinced people that he should steal Bale and Arnie's screen time in Terminator and star in the biggest action movie of all time. He got a teen choice award ffs!

Worthington in Salvation was Cameron's suggestion.

jtb

Banned
the only great thing about the avengers was Ruffalo/RDJ reunion. brought me back to 70s san fransisco all over again <3

Which shows Cameron's lack of talent and vision in his later years.

nah. Cameron was getting his revenge on McG for taking a giant dump on his franchise and claiming he had Cameron's "blessing" probably, so he returned the favor by providing Worthington.

Worthington was actually decent in Salvation; Bale, though. Jesus christ.

You can make a case either way. He got him 2 paydays but both were in movies that were sure to fail, and both had a really good chance to fail. I would think a good agent might have gotten him to do less risky movies.

Yeah.. I mean I doubt either of them are complaining about the money they've made so far, but optimally an agent helps establish a long-term lucrative career. I guess it depends on whether you think his agent schmoozed Kitsch into two paydays he was never going to earn otherwise before setting him back on his "expected" career track, or if he sabotaged a potentially more successful career down the road.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I hope someone greenlights a big budget project where both Worthington and Kitsch are the leads just to see the number of heads explode around here.

DMczaf

Worthington was the best thing about Salvation. Bale and co were so, so bad.

I always hear people say this, but I honestly don't remember a thing Worthington did in the movie. Nothing about him stood out, I guess that's a good thing after his roles later where he created his own American accents.

JdFoX187

Banned
I always hear people say this, but I honestly don't remember a thing Worthington did in the movie. Nothing about him stood out, I guess that's a good thing after his roles later where he created his own American accents.

Nothing beats his revolving accents in Clash of the Titans.

The movie was full of shite, he just happened to be less shite.

That and his was a decent enough lead until Bale showed up on screen, hamming/cheesing it up in every scene.

The scene where his (SW) character finds out he's a machine was well acted I thought. Nice use of emotions.

Yeah.. I mean I doubt either of them are complaining about the money they've made so far, but optimally an agent helps establish a long-term lucrative career. I guess it depends on whether you think his agent schmoozed Kitsch into two paydays he was never going to earn otherwise before setting him back on his "expected" career track, or if he sabotaged a potentially more successful career down the road.

Yeah I have no idea if he would have had a big career or not, but he wont now at least not for a long time.

JdFoX187

Banned
I really see Kitsch going the Collin Farrell route now. If he's smart, he'll take on some indie films to rebuild his reputation. Won't get as much money, but it'll be better in the long run for him. And in a few years when everyone's forgotten about John Carter and Battleship, maybe a director will take a chance and give him a big role.

artist

Banned
I really see Kitsch going the Collin Farrell route now. If he's smart, he'll take on some indie films to rebuild his reputation. Won't get as much money, but it'll be better in the long run for him. And in a few years when everyone's forgotten about John Carter and Battleship, maybe a director will take a chance and give him a big role.
total-recall-poster01djazq.jpg

200M film.

Now I want to rewatch Worthington movies just so I can pay closer attention to how his accent changes from line to line or scene to scene. I've seen Terminator, Avatar, and Clash, but I didn't notice this stuff before.

this will the 3rd disaster of the year after Jack Carter and Battleshit

I think it will do well. People are hungry for good sci-fi and this looks very good. Hopefully the studio won't mess up the ad campaign and make sure it has some decent hype before it's released.

JdFoX187

Banned
total-recall-poster01djazq.jpg

200M film.

That's what I mean. Aside from Fright Night last year, he hasn't done a whole lot of mainstream Hollywood movies as of late. Someone took a chance and gave him that role. I do think Sony Pictures were fools to not only give Len Wiseman $200 million -- despite my love of the Unverworld series -- but to also let Collin Farrell headline it.

Tom_Cody

Kitsch has no future in films at this point. Back to TV with you.
His presumptive superstar status is definitely gone but he still might have a film career ahead of him. Apparently Savages has gotten some good advance buzz. Time will tell.

MechDX

200m for a sci-fi remake? What the hell?

Edit: Oh it's Sony, not surprising then.

Best thing that could come of this? It bombs hard along with SpiderMan. Sony sells off its motion picture IP's and Marvel gets Spider Man back.

Len Wiseman directs well-made shit. It may be complete shit but it looks how much it cost. I thought Live Free looked good (expect some of that plane CGI) and the trailer for Total Recall looks like it cost dat money.

I don't see why so many hate Worthington. He's never really offended me, but I also have never seen the Titan films. I have a feeling that movie is the cause as it pissed off pretty much everyone that saw it.

Len Wiseman directs well-made shit. It may be complete shit but it looks how much it cost. I thought Live Free looked good (expect some of that plane CGI) and the trailer for Total Recall looks like it cost dat money.

I don't see why so many hate Worthington. He's never really offended me, but I also have never seen the Titan films. I have a feeling that movie is the cause as it pissed off pretty much everyone that saw it.

well made, low box office.

well made, low box office.

Oh yeah. Totall Recall isn't going to do well, at all. Don't know what the fuck they were thinking there. Farrell in the lead says it all.

I remember when they announced it, I thought it was going to be like Underworld, where the budget is more modest and it would be R rated. Why else would they cast Colin? He is box office poison. Then I see it's a big, expensive enterprise and I scratch my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom