• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

BBboy20

Yeah, BJ's narration style can be off-putting to some, but if it clicks with you, it really clicks.

BJ Blazkowicz is legitimately one of my favorite video game characters now. Never really would have seen that coming.
You gotta' love it when creators and entertainers somehow legitimize meat head visions.

olimpia84

Seeing this thread bumped reminds me I need to go back and mop up to get the platinum trophy. I only have a few levels left in terms of collectibles.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I've ran into two glitches within the first few hours of playing, but this one was pretty hilarious.

the other one was not funny at all, was fighting two big robot things (the first time you engage them?) and right before I died I manged to kill one via the kill switch, and left my screen black while the game continued on. I had to restart the checkpoint :(

Man, I'm playing on either the hardest or harder difficulty.. and the last boss is just not fun to fight. At stark contrast with the rest of the game.

Falk

that puzzling face
The last boss really does boil down to who has the bigger guns and more health.

It really doesn't get more classic than that. Way before Quake's Chthon/Shub-Niggurath shenanigans set a precedent for gimmick bosses that prevailed through many of the best FPS games like Half-Life, Borderlands, etc.

(Yeah there's a place for gimmick bosses, and to be fair to Quake, Quake2's Makron was a pretty solid duke-em-out)

The last boss really does boil down to who has the bigger guns and more health.

It really doesn't get more classic than that. Way before Quake's Chthon/Shub-Niggurath shenanigans set a precedent for gimmick bosses that prevailed through many of the best FPS games like Half-Life, Borderlands, etc.

(Yeah there's a place for gimmick bosses, and to be fair to Quake, Quake2's Makron was a pretty solid duke-em-out)

But don't the bosses in Quake show actual projectiles? The final boss in Wolfenstein just has a giant hit scan on you, impossible to really dodge anything and cover is pretty much useless. So I don't really feel like I'm actually using a lot of skill..

Yay, I did it. :)

Edit: It didn't give me the trophy for finishing it on I Am Death Incarnate.. huh. I don't remember ever switching it down, when I check options it tells me I use that difficulty setting.

Gold Member
Yay, I did it. :)

Edit: It didn't give me the trophy for finishing it on I Am Death Incarnate.. huh. I don't remember ever switching it down, when I check options it tells me I use that difficulty setting.
You only need to do the final level on that difficulty to get the trophy, although you may need to delete patches for it to work.

The final level is really easy though, you can run by the first lot of enemies & the second isn't too hard. On the second phase of the boss you can hide behind the right hand side (as you drop through the hole) railing at the end of it and the boss can't shoot you.

Hope you get the trophy to pop, it may happen after the credits but it's been a while :)

Falk

that puzzling face
But don't the bosses in Quake show actual projectiles? The final boss in Wolfenstein just has a giant hit scan on you, impossible to really dodge anything and cover is pretty much useless. So I don't really feel like I'm actually using a lot of skill..

Strafing actually is semi-effective. It's a nod to the bosses in Wolf3D, which were largely hitscan (though there were rockets too, of course)

antitrop

So how long did you need to beat it on average?

For one playthrough it's about 10 hours if you're rushing through and not picking up the secrets or looking through all the alternate history newspaper clippings (i.e., playing it like a games reviewer on a weekend deadline), and about 15+ hours if you're being exhaustive about it.

It took me 13 hours.

Redboxed this game for the PS3 since I heard good things.

Pretty good, far better than any other FPS campaign I've played in the past five years. But the writing was pretty bad at times and that ending left me bitter, which reminded me of when I beat Arkham Asylum. Felt bittersweet. I mean, come on. Fucking Will got the junk to
resist neurotoxins for who knows what reason,
and then
simply lets himself get wounded by a grenade.
And shit, that reminds me,
I never got to cut that old nazi bitch.
Characters were pretty great. This is better written than all the CoD series campaigns combined.

And the game has a shitload of texture/model loading issues, my god. I'd peak out from behind cover and see objects pop up before my eyes. Textures reloading after looking away for a second.

Pretty good game. Very refreshing. Great characters, decent plot, bad PS3 optimization (probably?). MachineGames is on my watchlist now.

Falk

that puzzling face
re: neurotoxins: I believe it had something to do with his brain not being wired normally due to the metal lodged in there. Also if you think about it, the ambiguity of the ending plus Nazi Witch is the perfect setup for a sequel

Einbroch

Banned
Just beat this.

Man, I'm so glad I didn't skip it. What a blast. Reminded me of another game, Singularity, which was vastly underrated. It maybe was a little on the long side, but worth it. I started playing on the hardest difficulty, but said screw it and dropped it to normal. What a good decision. I could play how I wanted. Dual shotties blam blam? Go for it. Sniping? Go for it.

Loved it. I'm not usually a big FPS guy, but what a fun ride.

Okay, just picked up a PS4 so it's decision time for me!

I have an i5 3.4ghz, 8gig ram, GTX670 2gb. Would I get better performance on my PC or PS4 for this game?

Falk

that puzzling face
How much of a difference does m&kb vs thumbsticks make to you? Honest question, since that sounds about even otherwise.

How much of a difference does m&kb vs thumbsticks make to you? Honest question, since that sounds about even otherwise.

I could go either way, depending on the game. I love id shooters or COD with m+kb, but something like Halo or Bioshock I'm good with controller.

Falk

that puzzling face
If you love M&K for id shooters I'm going to honestly recommend you go with PC for this. Big bullet sponge enemies, lots of circle strafing if you so desire.

Randam

ffs, I am stuck at the bridge section.
when you get in the heli and he flies you around.

edit: oh hey, look.

when you jump down and die there, you start on the bridge again and dont have to fly there again first.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Just got the platinum on the PS4 version.

I thought the 5GB patch removed the glitch where you just needed to play the last level on Uber to get the trophy, but it just worked for me. I beat all chapters on Normal and got all collectibles and perks on both timelines and was about to go for the Uber difficulty trophy and decided to just try the last level just to get it done with and I got the last 3 trophies I needed. I thought I wasn't able to do that?

Levyne

Banned
I dunno. Machinegames never really seemed concerned about changing that. I doubt they even saw it as a glitch. The game just happens to flag the trophy in a way we're you only need the last chapter and that's that.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno. Machinegames never really seemed concerned about changing that. I doubt they even saw it as a glitch. The game just happens to flag the trophy in a way we're you only need the last chapter and that's that.

No complaining from me.

I just bought this game digitally because my local store was out of it for some reason and I didn't feel like waiting. I like shooters but I have never been into this series really. I started the game but it hasn't clicked with me yet, I hope it ends up being good.

I just bought this game digitally because my local store was out of it for some reason and I didn't feel like waiting. I like shooters but I have never been into this series really. I started the game but it hasn't clicked with me yet, I hope it ends up being good.

The beginning is the weakest part of the game imo. Not that you're guaranteed to like the rest of the game but I'd get through the first 3 chapters at least before making a judgement

antitrop

Wolfenstein's pacing feels a bit weird in the context of modern 5 hour shooter campaigns. The title card doesn't even show up for an hour. It's a game meant to be taken slow and in context as a whole.

It's not a "theme park ride" shooter, it's not worried about impressing the player every single moment and catering to short attention spans.

It does have its set-pieces, but that's not really what the game is about.

Falk

that puzzling face
Wolfenstein's pacing feels a bit weird in the context of modern 5 hour shooter campaigns. The title card doesn't even show up for an hour. It's a game meant to be taken slow and in context as a whole.

It's not a "theme park ride" shooter, it's not worried about impressing the player every single moment and catering to short attention spans.

Yeah, the first hour or so of going through a little too much scripting followed immediately by trenches wasn't really the best indicator of what the game's like after it opens up.

This is a very accurate description. I went through the first few levels and am now really liking this game. I'm getting a Half Life 2/BioShock vibe from this game much like Singularity. Also thanks to @SwiftDeath for the response as well.

Anyone else purchase it on the Xbox One and have the digital copy freeze sometimes?

Ultimadrago

I just started this game last night and am having a blast (literally). So much fun clearing out rooms of Nazis and hunting down Commanders.

I only recently got past that stretch where
you are only given the knife and the 2nd tier laser cutter
. God, please don't take my precious guns from me again, Wolfenstein!

I also found the treat in the hideout:
The Classic Wolfenstein nightmare
. That was a real neat addition. Of course, I couldn't beat it because I suck.

I'm at the start of chapter 14. Bring'em On difficulty. On the first time I got into the first room with enemies, there's an assault rifle and health right there and some armour not far away. But on reloads after dying there, these aren't there anymore. Restarting the level brings them back though (which takes maybe up to three minutes).

Is this meant to happen?

Levyne

Banned
I'm at the start of chapter 14. Bring'em On difficulty. On the first time I got into the first room with enemies, there's an assault rifle and health right there and some armour not far away. But on reloads after dying there, these aren't there anymore. Restarting the level brings them back though (which takes maybe up to three minutes).

Is this meant to happen?

I don't know, but I had the same problem.

I must suck because I'm getting super pissed off at the end battle here. I can't seem to beat it no matter how many shots I unload, health I pick up and shield.

1st [lightning] or 2nd [fire] stage?

It was the fire part. Figured out the proper technique. The ending felt a...a little unsatisfying. Over all a very good game and thank you to the people that responded earlier with my concerns. It was worth sticking with the game because it was a blast.

Ultimadrago

Finally beat Wyatt's path after finishing Fergus' later last week. I really dislike there being such little change between the two, but the game's still very enjoyable to play, so I didn't mind much. In any case, I liked Fergus much better than Wyatt (which I suspected since the first playthrough). I hope we get more Wolfenstein games like this.

Got this recently and been playing when I get the chance to. Got up to the final boss fight on Uber difficulty, really annoying having to collect all the supplies before going to fight him and then dying shortly after. Hoping to have it finished by tomorrow so I can finally move onto Destiny.

Overall though I have really enjoyed the game, it’s a little janky at times and has some rough edges but otherwise it’s a very fun game and has enough variety to keep you engaged.

I feel like I just missed a cut scene. I finished the u-boat part where
I raise the buoys and then my resistance comrades land a helicopter onto the u-boat
and then all of a sudden
we're under water in pressure suits amid floating dead nazis before we enter an underwater base.
So did I miss a scene where
they scuttle the u-boat or something?
I didn't touch any keys as the scenes were playing out.

Ridesh

Banned
Ramona's diary
is actually Anya's diary, isn't it?

I'm at chapter 13,
The moon
, I'm actually surprised of the quality of this game, especially of the writing quality.

RedSwirl

Just finished this game. Jesus Christ. I think this is probably the best FPS campaign of 2014, and my favorite FPS campaign of the last few years. This is what a 2014 first person shooter should be like.

For a while now I'd been yearning for a new FPS that remembers the qualities and philosophy of older shooters -- the things modern military shooters forgot, and New Order is that game. I like how it takes Call of Duty's modernisms like cover, perks, and a grenade button, and filters them through the way older shooters were made with actual level design, a good array of weapons, and not giving a fuck about looking realistic/authentic.

I also came to a shocking realization in the middle of it all: Wolfenstein the New Order is the game Bioshock Infinite was trying to be. Both are linear FPSs built on the elements of older FPSs made in the modern era, that try to craft strong interactive narrative. Wolfenstein accomplishes both of those aspects better than Bioshock did.

Ricker

I got this game at launch or a few weeks after,played for 30 minutes and never got back to it,looking at the box I see the Doom beta sticker,did I miss the Doom beta that was included in this game or its just not out yet...? lol...

DieH@rd

Banned
First level is worst part of the game, but it fits somehow because this game takes very old franchise and starts building it up to modern times. Game story follows the same path. As soon as you jump to the 60s, game starts ramping up. Don't give up on it.

Doom beta wont be out anytime soon. At last Quakecon they show very early look at the game, but finished product will most likely be out in 2016. I expect beta maybe during 2015.

Falk

that puzzling face
First level is worst part of the game, but it fits somehow because this game takes very old franchise and starts building it up to modern times. Game story follows the same path. As soon as you jump to the 60s, game starts ramping up. Don't give up on it.

Doom beta wont be out anytime soon. At last Quakecon they show very early look at the game, but finished product will most likely be out in 2016. I expect beta maybe during 2015.

But but but the first level is nothing like Wolf3D. Or Quake or Doom or any other FPS from the heyday.

If anything it's like a bad imitation of MoHAA with robots thrown in because why not.

DieH@rd

Banned
And I am shocked that Bethesda did not reveal if they were satisfied with the sales of the game, how much it sold, and what is the future of Machine Games.

Top Bottom