• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order "Panzerhund Edition"; $100.00, No game copy.

hydruxo

Gotta be a joke. Is there really anybody out there that is that big of a Wolfenstein fan that they'd buy this AND a copy of the game separately? Seems like overkill.

-PXG-

So either the CE materials were arriving from China too late to pack with a region-specific copy of the game and would therefore cause the CE to miss street date or none of the major retailers wanted to carry it at the price Bethesda wanted.

Looks like a marketing manager somewhere done goofed.

I honestly believe it's the last one. Retailers have enough big ass stupid boxes as is. They are too expensive and take up too much space. Might as well save that space for smaller, cheaper merch that has a better chance at selling.

Grisby

meh.ro11595mwk77.jpg
That's not Sergeant Stubby.

Marcel

Good lord...why? I can see lawsuits in their future.

They covered their butts on this one by mentioning the game wasn't included. It's kind of like when people sell game boxes on Ebay: if you purchase without reading and expect the game it's kind of your own fault.

They covered their butts on this one by mentioning the game wasn't included. It's kind of like when people sell game boxes on Ebay: if you purchase without reading and expect the game it's kind of your own fault.

Oh they'd probably be thrown out, I don't really doubt that, but it's still a ridiculous headache for what from where I'm sitting seems to be no rational reason. Is there really that much demand for something like this?

Oh they'd probably be thrown out, I don't really doubt that, but it's still a ridiculous headache for what from where I'm sitting seems to be no rational reason. Is there really that much demand for something like this?

Maybe not, which is why they'd be offering it as a separate order and not taking up retail space in the first place?

Marcel

They wouldn't make a Collector's Edition full of overpriced Chinese-manufactured game junk if there wasn't at least a small market for it. Not including the game as illustrated by a few people in here is silly and the Bethesda community manager's explanation was dodgy at best.

KaiserBecks

Yeah, let's just ignore that this is an actual, numbered, collector's edition. I'd much rather have my ordinary "Day 1 VIP Founders Club Limited Collector's Edition with sweet Digital Content" instead of buying one of these separately whilst looking for a deal on the game itself, because hating is so much more fun.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, let's just ignore that this is an actual, numbered, collector's edition. I'd much rather have my ordinary "Day 1 VIP Founders Club Limited Collector's Edition with sweet Digital Content" instead of buying one of these separately whilst looking for a deal on the game itself, because hating is so much more fun.

It's an edition of a product that doesn't include said product.

DrKelpo

Banned
What the hell, man?
What's the production value of these things? Maybe 10-20€?
And then no game for 100 dollars... Come on

I can chime in here. There's a couple reasons for why the game isn't included.

1) The Panzerhund Edition is only sold at store.bethsoft.com and It's limited to 5,000 editions worldwide. Logistically we have no way to anticipate which versions people will need (NTSB, PAL, etc.)
2) With many people purchasing the game digitally, we wanted to provide an option to purchase the content without needing to purchase the disc.
3) We knew many folks had already pre-ordered to get into the DOOM beta.

Worth noting, if you already pre-ordered a physical copy of the game already, it includes a steelbook case you can put the game in.

That's correct. The game and the Panzerhund collection are separate.

Well, ok then.

KaiserBecks

It's an edition of a product that doesn't include said product.

It's an edition of a product that is likely to end up cheaper overall and doesn't have to be opened in order to play the game. It's win/win for collectors. Of course they could have included a digital copy of the game. But then people would complain about a digital copy in a collector's edition.

test_account

XP-39C²
What the hell, man?
What's the production value of these things? Maybe 10-20€?
And then no game for 100 dollars... Come on
You have to factor in work hours etc. that it took to create this things as well. It took time and work to create/design these things. I dont know about the value proposition though, that is pretty subjective, but i just wanted to say that there are most costs to this than just the production costs.

DrKelpo

Banned
I can chime in here. There's a couple reasons for why the game isn't included.

1) The Panzerhund Edition is only sold at store.bethsoft.com and It's limited to 5,000 editions worldwide. Logistically we have no way to anticipate which versions people will need (NTSB, PAL, etc.)
2) With many people purchasing the game digitally, we wanted to provide an option to purchase the content without needing to purchase the disc.
3) We knew many folks had already pre-ordered to get into the DOOM beta.

Worth noting, if you already pre-ordered a physical copy of the game already, it includes a steelbook case you can put the game in.

Ok, you want to sell it without the game, that's fine.
But 100 dollars for some bonus stuff? Seriously?
Why not make it 50 at the most, nobody would have said a thing.

Marcel

Yeah, let's just ignore that this is an actual, numbered, collector's edition.

This isn't, like, a special numbered coin or stamp that might be worth something one day. It's a box of cheap game junk with no game. If it feels important enough to purchase to you, have at it.

Man, this is like rubbing salt on the wound. But I don't want to digress.

On another hand, let's look at how ridiculous it is to ship a video game edition without a video game.

Well yeah that part's silly, but this wouldn't really feel as off if it was just the usual $20-40 we might have come to expect as standard to pay for a CE on top of the price of the game, would it? Of course, even then, people paid $150 for that Songbird edition of Bioshock Infinite. It's hard to qualify how ridiculous personal value judgements on luxury items are. It's their money, more power to 'em.

I'm struggling to think who's really the bigger sucker though, someone who wants CE stuff enough to pay $100 on top of the game price and just happens to get the game in a different box, or those of us who've bought $60 games day 1 with half the content stripped out for DLC we'll gladly spend another $60 on.

I guess my point is, it might feel kinda shady, but it just seems just like a new flavor of the same old shady to me.

KaiserBecks

This isn't, like, a special numbered coin or stamp that might be worth something one day. It's a box of cheap game junk with no game. If it feels important enough to purchase to you, have at it.

It doesn't feel important to me (the little statue is cool though), but the same can be said for almost every other collector's edition. The only chance to make them somewhat valuable is to actually limit the production.

At first I thought it was ridiculous but it is better than shelling out for a ce and getting the game later than everyone else. It's just a bit of a stretch calling it a collectors edition without a game. It's really just a separately sold collectible with a game box included.

ironcreed

Banned

Exactly. The point here is that normally these boxes of cheap junk at least come with the game they represent. As the game is what it is based on and why people buy collector's editions to begin with. But here they expect you to buy it separately and spend $160.00 in order to have both? What are they smoking?

soultron

Banned
This is what I'd expect the press kit for Wolfenstein to look like. Neat, but to not include the game itself is ludicrous. I've loved past Wolf games, but I don't think it's an IP with enough pull today (compared to something like FF, maybe) that will sell standalone collectible merchandise for $100.

Still, some collector's editions of games (game and merchandise together) have shot well over $100, so maybe this is "choice." It is kind of cool that it can be sold in any region... providing none of the materials or packaging require localized languages other than English.

Averon

I never understood why some buy these expensive CEs. Is that cheap, plastic doll/statue worth the $50-$100 markup?

Surely they shouldn't be allowed to call this "Wolfenstein: The New Order - Panzerhund Edition" if it doesn't actually include a copy of W:TNO?! I mean, just call it Wolfenstein merchandising collection or something?

watchdog

You should know better than to say such a thing! This is NeoGAF, someone would have had something negative to say. :p

Marcel

I never understood why some buy these expensive CEs. Is that cheap, plastic doll/statue worth the $50-$100 markup?

Most to all the stuff in the Collector's Edition is probably made in China so it's a pretty ridiculous markup when you consider the game is not even included. With regards to that statue, it's probably polystone which is flimsy and cheap-feeling to me.

Edit: According to the site, the statue is a PVC/Vinyl/ABS mix. Mea culpa!

Why would youspend $60 for a shooter with no multiplayer?
So many reasons.

Oh for certain we'd still say "hey, where the fuck is the game?", but as it stands now we're saying "hey, where the fuck is the game?" *and* "holy shit that's expensive". And by we, I mean me.

The game that bombed at retail and lost money for the publisher? Yep.
Which says absolutely nothing about the game's quality.

Rubius

So buying this makes the Special Edition cost $160. Is that a bit steep for a LE?

Well it's a collector edition. Limited edition would be like having the documents and pins.
Collector edition usually go for 100-200$ if they include a statue. Titanfall Collector Edition box is big like 1 meter high and is 250$. With the game.

Nander

This is gonna be at least alright, but I'm more hopeful about what Starbreeze does with the melee combat. Then maybe they can go back and help Vin finish the new game.

I have a friend who climbed that mountain for the edelweiss flower like SS soldiers, so he's probably copping this collector's edition.

The game is not made by Starbreeze. It's made by MachineGames, which was founded by Starbreeze founder Magnus Högdahl and he brought some people with him from Starbreeze. However, MachineGames was acquired by Bethesda (or really by the parent company ZeniMax) in 2010 and Högdahl left the company just before the acquisition.

Mask

Hmm, looks like getting both the Panzerhund edition and the CE Art Book sent to the UK will run me £133... screw it, I'm getting them.

A heads up for the UK folk, Game.co.uk has the Occupied Edition of Wolfenstein for £54.99. Has a 20 page occupied london guide, 3 postcards and a travel card holder. As crazy as it sounds, I'm getting that edition aswell as the Panzerhund and CE art book.

DrKelpo

Banned
Hmm, looks like getting both the Panzerhund edition and the CE Art Book sent to the UK will run me £133... screw it, I'm getting them.

A heads up for the UK folk, Game.co.uk has the Occupied Edition of Wolfenstein for £54.99. Has a 20 page occupied london guide, 3 postcards and a travel card holder. As crazy as it sounds, I'm getting that edition aswell as the Panzerhund and CE art book.

Well, the system works... ^^

Top Bottom