• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order "Panzerhund Edition"; $100.00, No game copy.

I think calling it Wolfenstein: The New Order Panzerhund Edition is a bit misleading, should be something like W:TNO Panzerhund Accessory Kit.

p2535748

This is obviously silly in terms of price and is terrible in the same way most of these collector's editions are terrible, but conceptually this actually seems like an okay idea.

For the consumer, you can buy the game wherever it's cheapest, and (if they have it) get the retailer specific stuff (retailer specific stuff is also terrible, but that's another topic).

For the company, they don't have to make platform specific collector's editions.

Now, for this to be a good idea, they'd have to price it at the cost of the normal collector's edition minus the cost of the game. I haven't purchased a collector's edition in a long time. Is $160 about right for them?

Xater

So a 100 bucks for stupid swag and you don#t even get the game? This is ridiculous.

Invest those 100 bucks in some quality statue or into 2-3 action figures of better quality and just buy the game.

SJRB

Gold Member
This is some next-level shit right here, with the game not even being included in the special edition.

LiK

The problem with the way they're selling this is they're making it seem like it's part of a game CE. They could've just sold it as simply some collectibles.

OneLetter

Based on previous experience putting these sorts of editions together, I'm assuming they are doing this so they don't need to split the CE counts ahead of time between various regions / rating boards. Now they can just sell out of their small run, and not worry about sitting on a bunch of ESRB or PEGI rated versions that may sit on a shelf for a long time.

I don't have a problem with that. If they would include the game it would cost alot more. And I get the reason why they did that.
But I think they should also offer the same edition with the game for 160$

You're completey misinterpreting it.

You order the CE at the retailer and the retalier is responsible for giving you the game at release with the extras to be shipped to you by Bethesda.

Is this confirmed anywhere? If so, their wording is terrible, 'cause this:

lVp5s4F.png

Seems like a pretty clear message. Also, as of now Game Stop has no $100 special edition on their site:

Actually, they're offering a pretty reasonable explanation:

the explanation is reaonable, the 100$ pricetag for a collectors edition that does not include the game is not
especially considering the contents of the box compared to say the witcher 2 collectors edition from a few years back

Hupsel

I dont even... really? Hope they attended that GDC panel about how to avoid internet backslash. They are going to need it badly.

What a fitting evolution for the whole Collector's-Edition-Filled-With-Assorted-Junk concept.

The actual game is fucking extraneous.

MarionCB

The correct interpretation of their store page (and that tweet) is that it doesn't include the game. If somehow they mean to include the game, it's incredibly poor writing. It's disappointing to see "lol, reading comprehension" from people here just because this package doesn't make sense.

Still, the idea of a platform agnostic collector's edition shipped separately is actually a good one; it's simply too expensive here.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
LOL

It would be fine if they were just selling the statue separately with some stuff but including an empty steelbook and calling it an edition of the game is fucking insane.

Levyne

Banned
The correct interpretation of their store page (and that tweet) is that it doesn't include the game. If somehow they mean to include the game, it's incredibly poor writing. It's disappointing to see "lol, reading comprehension" from people here just because this package doesn't make sense.

Still, the idea of a platform agnostic collector's edition shipped separately is actually a good one; it's simply too expensive here.

This is my take too.

Also the package should be renamed to something like 'Collector's Edition Extras" or something, as someone mentioned.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I would love to know what kind of a stupid fucking marketeer managed to convince the entire organisation about this being a good idea.

Instead of being a $150 special edition of a game, the consumers now see a $100 swag kit only. That is mindbogglingly stupid.

I like the concept--get the collection edition goodies separate from the game, so you can choose one or the other or both!--but yeah, wasn't planning on buying this at launch anyways and have no interest in shelling out $100 for trinkets.

Still catching up with the thread but yeah, I just dont understand how what they are listing is worth $100 :(

What the fuck....These game companies or publishers keep pushing the envelope on seeing how much they can get away with/take advantage of hardcore gamers it seems.

jono51

Banned
A bunch of overpriced game junk without the actual game makes sense?

The price is the problem, obviously, but if it was $30-40 then it would be in line with other CE's when you add in the $60 game. As I stated though, that doesn't look like $100 of stuff. Not even close.

This is obviously silly in terms of price and is terrible in the same way most of these collector's editions are terrible, but conceptually this actually seems like an okay idea.

For the consumer, you can buy the game wherever it's cheapest, and (if they have it) get the retailer specific stuff (retailer specific stuff is also terrible, but that's another topic).

For the company, they don't have to make platform specific collector's editions.

Now, for this to be a good idea, they'd have to price it at the cost of the normal collector's edition minus the cost of the game. I haven't purchased a collector's edition in a long time. Is $160 about right for them?

Conceptually yeah, it actually sounds pretty good

....the problem is that the contents of this particular LE are highly questionable at the price they're asking for

even if they released that stuff with the game for 160.....All that shit is no where near worth the value of $100. GTFO...

You got more value out of the stuff that came with the Bioshock 2 limited edition, and that was $40 extra

liquidtmd

Banned
Last Gen: Game + Day 1 DLC + more DLC to come making it not clear when you'll be getting the full experience.

Next Gen: When it's not even clear whether you're getting the game at all

arhra

The concept of splitting the generic collector's edition trinkets away from the platform-specific game SKUs makes a lot of sense from a logistical point of view. No more piles of CEs for one platform sitting around unsold while there's demand for it on some other platform, etc.

Selling it as a separate $100 product, rather than bundling it with a regular copy of the game for your platform of choice is kinda dumb, though.

johnny956

Seems like Bethesda wants all the CE margins for themselves. I know at Best Buy special editions usually have a decent margin on them.

Great success, can't wait til other companies copy this brilliant idea.
Meh, it can go right in a lot of ways. Reduce the amount of exclusive content in separate collector's edition SKUs + fans have the option of buying a worthwhile collectible if they love the game.

Too many games are released with shitty Limited Edition DLC and an overpriced crummy statue in the box. Simplify the market and offer something worthwhile to those who want it instead.

Of course this could go in the wrong direction fast.

Top Bottom