• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman dies while riding roller coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case anyone cares... the ride restraint on the Texas Giant does not make "clicky" noises like some reports have mentioned... here is an in depth breakdown of the ride restraint system that that coaster has in place, and was in place when this poor woman lost her life:

From Screamscape:

Read speculation that it locked her in, on her gut.

But during the ride, her gut moved above the restraint, making her loose.

The lap bar should restrain, be definition, the lap.

Branduil

I think it's pretty unlikely that it was mechanical failure in the sense of the restraint coming undone. You can't even send a train unless each restraint is closed far enough to light up a green light for each seat. No way to know for sure yet, of course, but I would speculate that the design of the restraints did not account for someone of her body shape riding the ride. The operators likely did everything they were supposed to do.

I've never felt unsafe riding the NTG, even though it would definitely eject you if you were unrestrained.

magichans

Banned
Anyone remember that story from South America a few years ago? A disgruntled six-flags employee apparently pressed the "release all seats" buttons while the coaster was in mid action.

Anyone remember that story from South America a few years ago? A disgruntled six-flags employee apparently pressed the "release all seats" buttons while the coaster was in mid action.

Woah, really? You would think there would be multiple steps to do that so that it never accidentally gets pressed.

Trey

I don't even see how you could allow that functionality.

They just brought up some interesting points on CNN a few minutes ago. Apparently a lot of these deaths over the past decade have involved people who were obese. The most famous cases (Superman coaster, Knotts Berry Farms, etc) involve people who were over 200lbs. I think we're getting close to parks implementing size limits to cover their butts. It's going to cause an uproar, but it might be the only option so this doesn't happen again.

They'd put special seats in for larger people. The already do that on some rides. I hate it because I feel like I'm gonna fly out. though its usually the over the shoulders ones

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Six Flags Magic Mountain used to have a looping coaster with just a lap bar. They retrofitted the cars with shoulder restraints in the early-'90s and completely ruined the ride.

Six Flags has no parks in South America.

Shadybiz

It's for when the ride stops, so they don't have to manually go in and uncheck every seat.

I think he's saying that it shouldn't be possible for an attendant to release the harnesses while the ride is in progress. I would tend to agree; seems like it would be one of the primary safety features.

Branduil

The Texas Giant is reopening this weekend.

http://www.sixflags.com/overtexas/info/texasupdate.aspx

Six Flags Over Texas today announced that it has completed the investigation of the recent accident involving the Texas Giant roller coaster, with the ride train manufacturer, internal engineers and external experts ruling out any mechanical failure of the ride. Due to litigation, the company is not releasing any further information about the outcome of the investigation.

Park officials plan to re-open the Texas Giant coaster this weekend, following the addition of incremental and overlapping safety measures for the ride that include re-designed restraint-bar pads from the manufacturer and new seat belts. As with other rides in the park, guests with unique body shapes or sizes may not fit into the restraint system. The company is providing a coaster seat at the ride entrance so guests can test their fit prior to entering the ride line.

They can't say a lot because of the lawsuit, but it definitely sounds like the woman who died could not properly fit in the restraints.

Sigmaah

Went to Six Flags in Jersey on Sunday, shit was fun as fuck and ill deff be going again. Every ride I went on, I was scared shitless that the latch might come undone but that was just me being paranoid, most rides had belts except for some like the Nitro. That was probably my favorite ride but no fucking seatbelt made me scared as fuck. I feel they should always have seatbelts no matter what, just in case that shit ever comes undone. All that ride had was some yellow thing press against you and that was it, no seat belt and this ride was fast as fuck. I didn't feel as if I was flying outta my seat but a seatbelt would've calmed me down a bit. I'll still go on it when I go back lol.

El Toro is some scary shit, the whole ride you feel like you're abouta fly outta your seat and you have a latch and a seatbelt and I felt like I was gonna hit the fucking railings or the wood the whole time, it was fun but that might be the ride I stay away from next time. Even the Kingda Ka felt safer than that shit.

I couldn't imagine ever seeing someone flying out or being the one flying out... my god that is scary, SEATBELTS OVER EVERYTHING.

One question though. If your latch comes off and the only thing u have securing you down is a seatbelt, won't you die or get harmed anyway? I feel like you'd be jerked around and maybe you might break your spine or some shit because of the intense speed. I dunno, just thinking too much about it lol. RIP to the lady who died, sucks to pass when you're ment to have fun with the family on that day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom