• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman |OT| The World is Ready for You, Gal Gad [SPOILERS]

I thought it was competent. Felt like an interesting mashup of the first Thor and Captain America movies. There were a lot of great scenes and I enjoyed all of the characters except for all of the villains.

I thought the theme of the movie would have been more effective if there hadn't been cartoon bad guys like ze evil Germans. It would have been much more effective if Wonder woman discovered that the main bad guy was just some general doing his job (which he kind of was, while also being Mr. Hyde). I thought Ares was effective right until his mighty Morphin form. Ares as a strictly non combatant is actually a really interesting twist especially compared with Diana who is a walking stereotypical Goddess of war. I just wish they had maintained that twist. Diana's choice at the end should have been between stopping the current war (as Steve was trying to do) and letting Ares go or killing Ares to possibly stop all wars but let her friends die. Instead we got a choice between crushing a mad scientist with a tank or killing Ares with some lightning.

My almost burst out laughing moment was when they were explaining the new mustard gas, BUT WITH HYDROGEN! Did nobody bother to look up the chemical formula for mustard gas first? Don't explain this shit with science that is obviously, horribly wrong. Just say it's gas that's like mustard gas but it melts gas masks. They didn't need the whole hydrogen is flammable plot point when the gas is basically in bombs.

Also why wouldn't Steve just crash the plane into the ocean and bail out before hand? And if the gas would kill everything within 50 miles of its explosion wouldn't blowing it up a few thousand feet above the ground technically be a worse solution? I'm pretty sure Steve didn't make it 50 miles straight up in that airplane. It's only 62 miles to space.

Aside from that stuff, I thought it was good. Not great. But I definitely wish a movie like this had started this whole thing. Man of steel gave me no reason to be excited to see other "heroes" in the same vein as Snyder's Superman. Wonder Woman at least gives me some hope for the future.

carlsojo

I thought it was competent. Felt like an interesting mashup of the first Thor and Captain America movies. There were a lot of great scenes and I enjoyed all of the characters except for all of the villains.

I thought the theme of the movie would have been more effective if there hadn't been cartoon bad guys like ze evil Germans. It would have been much more effective if Wonder woman discovered that the main bad guy was just some general doing his job (which he kind of was, while also being Mr. Hyde). I thought Ares was effective right until his mighty Morphin form. Ares as a strictly non combatant is actually a really interesting twist especially compared with Diana who is a walking stereotypical Goddess of war. I just wish they had maintained that twist. Diana's choice at the end should have been between stopping the current war (as Steve was trying to do) and letting Ares go or killing Ares to possibly stop all wars but let her friends die. Instead we got a choice between crushing a mad scientist with a tank or killing Ares with some lightning.

My almost burst out laughing moment was when they were explaining the new mustard gas, BUT WITH HYDROGEN! Did nobody bother to look up the chemical formula for mustard gas first? Don't explain this shit with science that is obviously, horribly wrong. Just say it's gas that's like mustard gas but it melts gas masks. They didn't need the whole hydrogen is flammable plot point when the gas is basically in bombs.

Also why wouldn't Steve just crash the plane into the ocean and bail out before hand? And if the gas would kill everything within 50 miles of its explosion wouldn't blowing it up a few thousand feet above the ground technically be a worse solution? I'm pretty sure Steve didn't make it 50 miles straight up in that airplane. It's only 62 miles to space.

Aside from that stuff, I thought it was good. Not great. But I definitely wish a movie like this had started this whole thing. Man of steel gave me no reason to be excited to see other "heroes" in the same vein as Snyder's Superman. Wonder Woman at least gives me some hope for the future.

No... I don't think most people know (or care) what the chemical formula for mustard gas is.

Also I think the bombs on the plane were stuck on a timer so he couldn't have made it to the ocean.

I'd bet money he bailed out with a parachute so he can show up in Wonder Woman 2 a la Winter Soldier.

So, do we want Wonder Woman 2 to be set in modern day or WW2?

I think Patty said it will be modern day. I'd prefer another period piece myself but it's not a big deal, I'm more curious about the villains. Fingers crossed for Veronica Cale and an adaptation of the recent arc by Rucka that had such a powerful conclusion.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I like the idea of the sequel splitting into two timelines, past and present. Set her in the past on her continued development and then her being full on warrior in the present. Cersie would be a cool villain to tie both in.

No... I don't think most people know (or care) what the chemical formula for mustard gas is.

Also I think the bombs on the plane were stuck on a timer so he couldn't have made it to the ocean.

That's kind of my point. They didn't need to give an accurate scientific description. They needed to not attempt one at all.

And the gas was meant for London so clearly the timer would have been long enough to fly from Belgium to England. Maybe I just missed something but there's really no reason to have timers on the bombs in the first place.

Blank!

I made the same exact comparison to the wife after we saw it.

I agree Ares was much better as a "behind the scenes" threat. In fact, I figured they would of kept him that way and did WW2/future wars, but I guess they were going all-in on the man makes their own (bad) decisions angle. And for a summer blockbuster, you need some sort of big-bad boss fight and it sure wasn't going to be super-serum general.

That said, I'm hoping for Modern Day Wonder Woman for the next movie. That, or they go to the Pacific for World War 2.

TyrantII

I'd bet money he bailed out with a parachute so he can show up in Wonder Woman 2 a la Winter Soldier

They show you him kicking the only guy with a parachute out the door to make a point. They covered their why and what if based in that scene.

He's dead Jim.

Maybe I just missed something but there's really no reason to have timers on the bombs in the first place.

Keep the pilot from defecting on the Eve of the Armistice.

TyrantII

That said, I'm hoping for Modern Day Wonder Woman for the next movie. That, or they go to the Pacific for World War 2.

I get the feeling Diana will feel betrayed with the US using nukes on civilian populations. Write the story where she's specifically set up to be betrayed as well.

I'm on board for any time period as long as Jenkins is back.

Saw it Thursday. 3 things:

1.) The first 15 minutes of the movie, I was sure it was going to be terrible. Gal looked like she had trouble keeping a straight face talking with her female co-stars, and the
Aunt's death scene
was really, really cheesy. But the humor kept it interesting, and the location change made everything much better.

2.) Chris Pine made this movie great. The chemistry between his and Gal Gadot was the best I've seen in her motion picture career. He played the perfect foil to her straight woman.

3.) Where DCEU absolutely destroys MCU is in world-building. I like MCU films, but the DC superheroes seem to be more in-tune with the world they're trying to protect. The world feels alive and the death of a single human either directly by the hands of the hero or as a consequence of the hero's action always seems to hold significant weight.
I love the fact WW does not hesitate to kill.
That will give her a nice foil to Supes and Batman, a raw sort of decisiveness.

If I had to grade it, its definitely A- material. makes me think DCEU is back on track.

A bit OT: How much better is the Extended edition of BvS than the original? Does it make it significantly better, enough for a rewatch?

TheMan

Well, saw this last week with some coworkers.

I can't say I loved it. I thought it was decent, serviceable as a comic book movie. I thought some parts (power of love shit especially) were too cheesy for me to handle. Action scenes were pretty good I guess. Slo-mo was a bit overused. I think I just didn't really care for the WWI setting, which was a surprise for me because I went in almost completely blind. I'd give this a B or B-, wouldn't watch again.

Aselith

3.) Where DCEU absolutely destroys MCU is in world-building. I like MCU films, but the DC superheroes seem to be more in-tune with the world they're trying to protect. The world feels alive and the death of a single human either directly by the hands of the hero or as a consequence of the hero's action always seems to hold significant weight.
I love the fact WW does not hesitate to kill.
That will give her a nice foil to Supes and Batman, a raw sort of decisiveness.

lol wut. Avengers 1 AND AoU both had the Marvel Heroes going out of their way to save as many people as possible and the impetus for Civil War was their failure to save enough people.

I mean yeah WW has scenes where she wants to save people but she also crushed that church tower without thinking about who could be inside or around it so idk. Supes gives zero fucks tbh he's hardly some caring hero out to save every last person.

MisterHero

lol wut. Avengers 1 AND AoU both had the Marvel Heroes going out of their way to save as many people as possible and the impetus for Civil War was their failure to save enough people.

I mean yeah WW has scenes where she wants to save people but she also crushed that church tower without thinking about who could be inside or around it so idk. Supes gives zero fucks tbh he's hardly some caring hero out to save every last person.
The talk of casualties is pretense. Do you want bigass comic book battles or not? People are going to die. Civil War's politics was a pretense to shove Spider-Man into an unnecessary appearance.

Maybe it's a failing of the genre, but layering pretense on top of it is just as bad.

If superheroes hate war so much maybe they should drop their costumes and weapons and become policy makers and stop wars before they begin. No one wants a movie about that that though.

Aselith

The talk of casualties is pretense. Do you want bigass comic book battles or not? People are going to die. Civil War's politics was a pretense to shove Spider-Man into an unnecessary appearance.

Maybe it's a failing of the genre, but layering pretense on top of it is just as bad.

If superheroes hate war so much maybe they should drop their costumes and weapons and become policy makers and stop wars before they begin. No one wants a movie about that that though.

Yes, people are going to die in those battles however MCU movies have taken pains to make sure they show the heroes doing their best to save civilians as much as they possibly can.

To say that DC world building shows them caring about the people around them? Ehhhhh. Wonder Woman does a good job of it but that's also after they received flak for years about the way Supes callously didn't give a fuck in MoS.

MisterHero

Yes, people are going to die in those battles however MCU movies have taken pains to make sure they show the heroes doing their best to save civilians as much as they possibly can.

To say that DC world building shows them caring about the people around them? Ehhhhh. Wonder Woman does a good job of it but that's also after they received flak for years about the way Supes callously didn't give a fuck in MoS.
World building and the characters' attitudes towards them are not the same thing.

The production values of Krypton and Themyscira are high. Same for TFA's World War 2 and WW's Great War. They [Marvel and DC] are all well executed in various aspects. The only world building I actively dislike is the highly-advanced science twist of Asgard. The movies fortunately tend to ignore it.

To the extent the film has mixed messages at the end, I do think it erred by having the death of Ares coincide with the conclusion of the war. That runs smack into the point of Diana realizing that killing Ares would not end the war, or any war, as has been said.

The ending speech was meant to tie that in, but it came too late, IMO. They didn't quite reconcile the desire for a big fight at the end, and the conclusion of the war.

I also kind of wish Diana had wounded, but not killed Ares, having realized that doing so would not change the nature of man. War was within them, Ares or no. Or at least saved Ares big showdown with Diana for another film. I thought the fight was actually very good, some shoddy CG aside, but I with the film had resisted the inertia to have this huge fight scene at the end. The film felt so different from other comic book films until then.
I couldn't agree more with all of this. When Ludendorf is killed, I was ready to slap "best comic book movie ever" simply because I really thought the film was about to throw the 3rd act playbook out the window. It would have really hammered home a damn strong message---the message Steve gives Diana when she is wrecked and confused why the humans were still doing bad things. It would have been damn risky, and a breath of fresh air, to keep out something like a huge 3rd act villain fight we have come to expect, and always get.

Aselith

World building and the characters' attitudes towards them are not the same thing.

The production values of Krypton and Themyscira are high. Same for TFA's World War 2 and WW's Great War. They [Marvel and DC] are all well executed in various aspects. The only world building I actively dislike is the highly-advanced science twist of Asgard. The movies fortunately tend to ignore it.

If you read the quote, that is what he was calling world building so I followed that thought train.

I just saw it and loved it. Best DC film since Dark Knight. That sounds like faint praise, but it isn't. Now we can just wonder what Jenkin's version of Thor 2 The Dark World would have been like.

TyrantII

A bit OT: How much better is the Extended edition of BvS than the original? Does it make it significantly better, enough for a rewatch?

Just rewatched it last night to see if I missed anything with Diana's scenes that could now be recontextualized after seeing Wonder Woman.

Nope, still a mess of a movie.

I think MOS fallout with that criticism is why it's being addressed well in these subsequent movies. Hell, Bruce Wayne running towards the collapsing buildings in BvS is probably the best scene in the entire movie.

They did it again here with No Man's Land.

This is what superhero films are about to me, not the CGI orgy fests at the end.

Replicant

This was all I asked for from a DCEU film. A competently plotted film with decent editing that doesn't jump around between characters unnecessarily.

I'm not keen with how WW was charging into front line riddled with bullets and bombs. I think I had trouble reconciling the concept of a Goddess involved in normal human war.

I also don't like Ares' design and final fight. I feel DCEU larger than life monsters always end up looking goofy. Ares, Doomsday, Enchantress, etc. What saved the scene was Steve Trevor's sacrifice as it gave gravita to the entire fight.

But it was well-directed, the script flows well and they sold me on Diana and Steve's characterisation. That's all that it takes for me to like the film as a whole.

kmag

I just like to forget that the 3rd act ( or to be more precise everything after Ludendorf is killed and Diana has her revelation) happened. Not much of what happens after that actually makes any sense if you stop to think about it. It's one of the worst comicbook 3rd acts, not in terms of content or execution (it's merely average in those regards) but just in the sense of how checkbox is it compared to the film which went before.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I didn't have a problem with the finale at all. But then I was also confused when people complained about the action going in too long in Man of Steel. It entertained me and was a fun satisfying conclusion. *shrugs*

WedgeX

Banned
Saw this last weekend. Loved it, as did my wife. Been waiting for this brand of...sincere superheroism?...from DC. It fully embraced the super-ness of the comics and didn't deconstruct, make hyperrealistic or make grimly-serious the "superhero genre" as DC films have been obsessed with doing since forever. Cap also fits into this but I read less marvel growing up so I have always expected more from DC.

It's refreshing, more so in an era of actual insincere villainy. I hope DC keeps Patty and turns the DCEU towards this as a whole.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So I watched the movie yesterday and, the one thing I remember seeing on Twitter and some reviews by women is that, they now knew how it felt to feel strong after watching a action flick, that feeling when you watch a Bruce lee movie and feel like you could do anything, it was their first time feeling like this, and the cool thing with me is that I also felt like I really wanted to be wonder woman, walking across a WW1 battlefield with no fear and blocking every bullet that comes my way and yet I am a man, it was just really inspirational

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
WW2 is played out and I don't know what they would do differently. They already did the evil Nazi scientist routine except during world war I. I think it needs to be modern day.
WW2 would be great in reinforcing how she ultimately feels by the time of SvB, stopping one great war only for another one to start before the all the kids born in that time period are of age yet

Batjag

I'm not keen with how WW was charging into front line riddled with bullets and bombs. I think I had trouble reconciling the concept of a Goddess involved in normal human war.

If it bothered you, then it bothered you, but it worked fine for me. The Greek gods were always interfering with humans and their warfare. It's kind of their whole shtick.

a.wd

Great film, emotional, arresting great performances.

The third act felt choppy good in places and poor in others, but the middle section was godly.

The trenches scene was glorious.

Azzanadra

Whoo this was a lot better than I was expecting, its the best DCEU movie behind Batman v. Superman, though I was really dissapointed in the villain. Ares just felt meh, even the final fight wasn't as enjoyable as even the mediocre MCU villains.

Angel_DvA

eating-crow.jpg

I admit I like the movie more than I thought and Gadot was better than I thought too, sure her acting sometimes is so so but she hits the right note at the right time so it's ok. The pacing of the movie is really good, the dialogue are okish but fine for a superheroes movie, the aesthetic of the movie is stunning and the soundtrack is really good but not really memorable besides WW main theme.

Of course they're things I didn't like in the movie like the CGI that is for the most part terrible, Chris Pine performance, it was pretty bad for an actor like him, it's like anyone could have done the job, surprising cause he's an actor I like in general. His character was stupid as well, some of his decision are baffling and I won't talk about his stupid death, doesn't make any sense, a fucking plot device with the motive to make girls cry in the theater, not fan of that but my female friends love that moment that I can't get cause "I'm a man", obviously, make sense... too much cheesy stuff too

A solid movie, way better than any recent DCU movies for sure and I'm ready to see what's coming next for WW, a solid 7.5/10.

I'm eating my crow right now and it feels good to be honest.

EDIT: I forget to talk about slow mo action stuff, please, don't do that again, it's terrible.
EDIT 2: Edit: I'm a moron, bomb looks like to be on a timer.

Lime

Could someone explain to me why Chris Pine had to commit suicide to blow up the plane? Surely there would be a different way to disable/destroy a plane filled with bombs.

Angel_DvA

You thought Pine was bad? I thought it was nice to actually see him really act.

Yeah, I feel like anyone could have done the job, he didn't bring any personality to his character, you know sometimes, some people are so good in their characters that you can't see anyone playing it like RDJ on Iron Man or Bruce Willis on McClane etc... Pine was the Tobey Maguire/Andrew Garfield/whatever spider man, anyone is ok playing it...

Could someone explain to me why Chris Pine had to commit suicide to blow up the plane? Surely there would be a different way to disable/destroy a plane filled with bombs.

Plot device but I agree, that doesn't make any sense, especially after hijacking the plane lol.

Edit: I'm a moron, bomb looks like to be on a timer.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
There was a bomb on the plane set to a timer which was going to go off no matter what. Trevor had to fly the plane high enough so the gas wouldn't affect anyone on the ground within the 50 mile radius (or whatever they said it was).

Angel_DvA

There was a bomb on the plane set to a timer which was going to go off no matter what. Trevor had to fly the plane high enough so the gas wouldn't affect anyone on the ground within the 50 mile radius (or whatever they said it was).

Wait what ? are you sure for the timer stuff ? I don't remember that part, if it's true than it make sense and I don't.

Timeaisis

I thought the first two-thirds were legit great. Gal and Chris are great. And then the last 30 minutes are just god awful with Ares and the DCverse's patented big stupid fight scene. Nobody needed that hot DC garbage. Good lord. What a letdownn.

Sean C

I thought the first two-thirds were legit great. Gal and Chris are great. And then the last 30 minutes are just god awful with Ares and the DCverse's patented big stupid fight scene. Nobody needed that hot DC garbage. Good lord. What a letdownn.
Why is it suddenly unusual that a superhero movie ends with a showdown between the hero and the villain?

Top Bottom