• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman |OT| The World is Ready for You, Gal Gad [SPOILERS]

Timu

Wonder Woman Justice League spoiler below

According to an article on RT (based on a Collider article):

It was also confirmed this week that two of Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman co-stars will be joining her in this November’s Justice League, as both Robin Wright and Connie Nielsen are expected to return as General Antiope and Queen Hippolyta

If true, this is awesome!
Can't wait to see that happen if it becomes true!

Man I for one cannot get over this damn movie. Saw it twice already which is rare for me these days unless it's called Star Wars or Jurassic something, haven't seen any superhero movies in theaters more than once since I can't remember. But this really just resonates with me and it's paced so damn well. I can honestly say I'm never bored during any of it or finding that I want certain scenes to be over as they all IMO contribute to the story/characters in some way.

It's just utterly fantastic. This is easily my favorite superhero movie since Spider-man 2 and that's some very high praise considering that I've enjoyed a few of them since then quite immensely.

Wonder Woman Justice League spoiler below

According to an article on RT (based on a Collider article):

It was also confirmed this week that two of Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman co-stars will be joining her in this November’s Justice League, as both Robin Wright and Connie Nielsen are expected to return as General Antiope and Queen Hippolyta

If true, this is awesome!

They're going to be a part of the prologue which flashes back to the Amazon's, Atlanteans, and Humans defending the Motherboxes from Darkseid and his army. This was confirmed by journalist that visited the set last year. Scene should be epic based on the glimpse we got from the last JL trailer.

Superflat

Saw it -again- with friends tonight, and most of them didn't have much idea or anticipation for WW. They all loved it.

And the theater we went to I specifically chose because it's a place that's lesser known and would probably be easier to find seats for all of us -- and the entire theater was completely PACKED for a 9PM showing!

It genuinely surprised me, and the reactions from the crowd were even better than when I saw it opening day.

There's more friends wanting to see it tomorrow, and I'll probably see it again with them lol

Calabi

I saw it and I liked it a lot. It felt like a more traditional film, most films of this ilk feel rushed, like they want to get to the next action scene. But this didn't feel like that it had plenty of quiet character building moments which were good. I was sceptical about Gal Gadot, but she was perfect, like a proper hero, not mean spirited or anything.

The ending with Ares wasn't great, but I didn't mind it. I expect the studio forced that in, their metrics and programs told them it was vital.

It was the best superhero origin movie since Batman Begins and Gal was just perfectly cast.

giphy.gif

Was a pretty decent movie but the finale really didn't have to be so poor. I'm not sure if it was studio pressure but Ares was garbage through and through which is disappointing since the action in other parts of the movie was pretty good looking for the most part. I was expecting the clash to be some straight up melee crazy shit with weapons but then this dude starts using the force and I have no idea what the fuck I was looking at. Was even uglier than the BvS finale

DeathyBoy

Banned
I saw it and I liked it a lot. It felt like a more traditional film, most films of this ilk feel rushed, like they want to get to the next action scene. But this didn't feel like that it had plenty of quiet character building moments which were good. I was sceptical about Gal Gadot, but she was perfect, like a proper hero, not mean spirited or anything.

The ending with Ares wasn't great, but I didn't mind it. I expect the studio forced that in, their metrics and programs told them it was vital.

I don't know what film y'all watched if you thought it wasn't going to end with optimism triumphing over cynicism. Diana's entire character arc is seeing how shit things are, and refusing to accept it.

Her beating the God of Truth with the power of love is the most superhero shit ever. And a far better ending than "I killed a man thinking he was Ares but he wasn't and now I'm depressed."

I guarantee you that ending was never even considered, and if it was they all threw it out immediately knowing the last thing people needed was another depressing, morally ambiguous DCEU film.

That and this film would have Godawful legs if they went that route.

TyrantII

Diana kills Ares and then the Germans are hugging people. So... humans don't have agency? We'd be hunky dory without pesky gods?

Nope, missed the plot point. Ares is the God of Truth and Steve was right, Ares says he doesn't mess with man's free will directly. Diana doesn't care, because she saw what else humanity was capable of.

That said the way they shot that ending subverts the message a little. Probably there for those not deep diving.

Also come to think of it Gal mentioned the reshoots she was in were somewhere in the third act. I'm starting to wonder if the Bad guy controlling everyone was reshoot to the free will corruption of Diana plot, but they couldn't reshoot everything. So while the latter is what the final cut is about, some of the prior are left in.

Calabi

I don't know what film y'all watched if you thought it wasn't going to end with optimism triumphing over cynicism. Diana's entire character arc is seeing how shit things are, and refusing to accept it.

Her beating the God of Truth with the power of love is the most superhero shit ever. And a far better ending than "I killed a man thinking he was Ares but he wasn't and now I'm depressed."

I guarantee you that ending was never even considered, and if it was they all threw it out immediately knowing the last thing people needed was another depressing, morally ambiguous DCEU film.

That and this film would have Godawful legs if they went that route.

You misconstrue me. I didn't say I wanted a dull depressing ending, just not so much of the CGI fest, throwing around where, there invincible and its hard to tell exactly whats going on. I'd have preferred it more down to earth and more personal.

Any time a comic book movie deals with a character with powers as great as Diane's, they need to be shown going all out so the audience gets a good feel of the character's limits. Every superhero movie has done this. Up to the end of the movie, Diane was fighting regular humans and going through them like butter. We don't get a sense of just how strong she really is. We didn't even really get a sense of it in Batman v Superman with Doomsday. The CGI fight with Ares was needed. You don't go for a small, personal climax when dealing with a character that can throw tanks and rain lightning, not in their first movie. It took Logan 17 years to earn that kind of ending. Diane is just getting started.

hom3land

Saw it at a 10 pm showing last night. First I love that nose theaters now are doing the big recliner seats that you reserve. Takes away Tha anxiety of having to find seats..

The movie was really good. Had only 2 wtf moments..

first what happened to the big german ship that came inside the bubble? At the beginning of the beach fight scene there's huge explosions on the beach that I assumed came from the ship... But the ship is completely forgotten about once the soldiers are all killed.

Secondly.. after wonder woman walks right through no man's land ..no one stops and asks who the fuck is this chick? Or even worse when she takes out the sniper no one stops and asks wtf just happened.. it would have taken 30 seconds and made the film feel more natural.

Shoeless

first what happened to the big german ship that came inside the bubble? At the beginning of the beach fight scene there's huge explosions on the beach that I assumed came from the ship... But the ship is completely forgotten about once the soldiers are all killed.

There's the implication that either the island is protected by reefs that breached the ship's hull, or that magical force field won't admit anything larger than a small rowboat or sailing vessel. During the fight, if you pay attention to the background in the long shots, you'll see that at least one of the cruisers is upended and sinking, Titanic style.

hom3land

There's the implication that either the island is protected by reefs that breached the ship's hull, or that magical force field won't admit anything larger than a small rowboat or sailing vessel. During the fight, if you pay attention to the background in the long shots, you'll see that at least one of the cruisers is upended and sinking, Titanic style.

Oh damn. Missed that. Thanks for pointing it out!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Am I crazy or did they do a brief morph of Lynda Carter's face on the Gal closeup in the ruined town?

I know they did it with Reeves in man of steel.

Saw it last night, and the coolest part was how stoked so many of the women in the crowd were. Cheering at the beginning of the movie, when she first appeared, during the
No Man's Land
scene, and at the end. And this is in Canada where we typically don't really have loud audiences. It was great to see.

That was great. Great pacing, great acting. Fantastic Direction. There were so many little things that the actors did that really added up. Small reaction shots, shots held for a little longer than they would have been otherwise. Really really good. Blew away my exceptions. Wonder Woman has not only stolen my heart, but it might have saved this cinematic universe, not only saved it, but given it propose that it didn't have before. Bravo.

BFIB

Saw it this morning. Thoughts.

-I really like that they did not mess with WW's origin. I was hoping they wouldn't change her being "created" by clay and basically made the last God from Zeus.
-Taking the fish out of water approach to humanize WW was very well done. Great humor in those scenes. When she was trying on clothes, I got a pretty good kick out of that whole part.
-The battle at No Man's Land is by far my favorite part of the movie. I've always dreamed of seeing WW finally on the big screen, and this whole scene pretty much made my dream come true. Awesome action.
-Villain left much to be desired, but for an origin, that seems to be par for the course on superhero movies in general anymore.
-I would have liked to have seen a little more tie-in to current DCEU landscape beyond the photo that Bruce sent. I know we got some level of explanation on BvS, but I would have like to have seen the footage of MoS and the Zod fight, maybe her debating on intervening, or realizing that there are Gods among men again that initially drew her back out to the fold.

Overall, it is by far the best DCEU movie yet. I enjoyed MoS and BvS, but I also understand that people wanted a little more light hardheartedness and a semblance of hope. WW gave that many times over, so hopefully we'll see this a little more going forward.

8/10

GhaleonEB

I think it was already sinking, which is why the soldiers were all in their boats at the start if the scene. I figure Steve bombed it but got shot down in the process.

Christian

Just got out of the movie. Saw it with me wife. Overall, I rather enjoyed it. Wasn't absolutely blown away, and I think the back third dragged my excitement about the movie down. Didn't leave a great final impression. But the first two-thirds, I was really into it. Chris Pine was awesome. Gal was better than I could've hoped for. I was pretty disappointed in David Thewlis, who I typically really enjoy as an actor. I just think it wasn't a great fit. Doesn't really make me anticipate Justice League anymore, but that feeling of dread at the idea of a new DC movie has been eliminated. For now.

I think it was already sinking, which is why the soldiers were all in their boats at the start if the scene. I figure Steve bombed it but got shot down in the process.
What is odd is you hear it wreck off-screen. In my last viewing I was paying attention to try and figure out what happened to the boat, and when the camera is showing Diana and Steve, you hear the CRUNCH/SCRAPE whatever sound of the boat hitting something. Sorry, I'm bad at sound effects.

GhaleonEB

But weren't they searching for the wreckage of his plane already when we see them first?

Yeah. I think the boat was going down, and so was Steve's plane. They saw it get hit and the downward trajectory, and then disappear. They bail out into the lifeboats and keep looking for the wreckage, since they saw it going down.

Dunno. It's an odd sequence. If the warship doesn't sink, then the writers have boxed themselves into a corner since the Germans would just bomb the shit out of the island. So they just sink it. It was either already sinking, or started right when it came through the barrier due to the barrier or the reef or something. I thought it looked like it was going down from the onset on my second viewing, and I can't think of a reason for so many of the crew to be in lifeboats otherwise. That's my guess but I could be totally wrong, just trying to make sense of it.

r1chard

Loved the film, even if it veered a little uncomfortably off into the Born Sexy Yesterday trope a few times (not overtly, just a few scenes of unnecessary naiveté that stood out). Still, so much better than recent DC trash!

Neoxon

I just want to say that I absolutely loved the movie. I legit started to tear up around the end. That No Man's Land scene was absolutely god-tier.

BadAss2961

Am I crazy or did they do a brief morph of Lynda Carter's face on the Gal closeup in the ruined town?

I know they did it with Reeves in man of steel.
Didn't notice it, but Gadot's spinning and posture instantly reminded me of Lynda Carter in that scene. Might've been a homage.

TyrantII

Right, and it was the only large ship in the fog scene as well. I think we're to understand that the whole ship came to shore as it was sinking. But that whole part of the Germans following Diana/Steve is on a fast super cut time warp.

Good catch, his plane was damaged wasn't it?

This movie's OST is great

No Man's Land, Wonder Woman's Wrath, and Action Reaction are great tracks

Yes. I just Preordered the OST CD from Amazon. Don't forget Pain, Loss, & Love.

KurtFehl

Just watched and fucking loved it. Gal Gadot is a perfect wonder woman. I got a question, what's​ Canon from the comics, how was Wonder Woman born?

hom3land

I thought they were in the boats because the fog was so thick they were needed to be close to the water to find the wreckage.

Just watched and fucking loved it. Gal Gadot is a perfect wonder woman. I got a question, what's​ Canon from the comics, how was Wonder Woman born?

Used to be that she's molded from clay and given life. Lately she's been a demigod, daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus.

The movie incorporates both, with the clay origin being a lie to protect her.

GhaleonEB

Oh my god, this tweet brings me such joy.

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/874034832430424065

"My producer just sent me this... ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE! This makes every hard day worth it. Thank you to whomever wrote it!!"
This makes me so happy. I really needed this movie, this year in particular.

I thought they were in the boats because the fog was so thick they were needed to be close to the water to find the wreckage.

Also a good explanation. Though I don't think they'd need several boats to do it.

TyrantII

Used to be that she's molded from clay and given life. Lately she's been a demigod, daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus.

The movie incorporates both, with the clay origin being a lie to protect her.

They never say the clay origin is a lie.

Olympian gods don't tend to normally birth other gods, so the clay story still makes sense, especially if Diana is a God. Demi-gods like Hercules have a human parent. Ares calls her sister...

They never say the clay origin is a lie.

Olympian gods don't tend to normally birth other gods, so the clay story still makes sense, especially if Diana is a God. Demi-gods like Hercules have a human parent. Ares calls her sister...

Ares is Zeus' son in this. Diana is daughter of Zeus, a god, and Hippolyta, an Amazon.

Top Bottom