• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman |OT| The World is Ready for You, Gal Gad [SPOILERS]

Sean C

To recap the flow of the discussion
  • Why did Steve sacrifice himself?
  • Was it necessary?
  • Was he too stupid to not take a parachute?
  • Did he deliberate decide to die by not taking the parachute from the pilot?
  • Is that type of sacrifice not a suicide?
  • Did the movie depict him in a 'suicidal' state before the sacrifice?
1. To save everybody.
2. Yes.
3. He didn't have a parachute. They were infiltrating the base, and the plane was launching in short order.
4. See above.
5. It's not suicide, no. The object of it was not to kill himself.
6. No, because he wasn't committing suicide.

Superflat

Saw it again, with my sis this time. She's a huge MCU fan and only watched BvS from DCEU (thought it was just ok, didn't hate it).

Not even a quarter of the way through the film she turns to me and says "she's my favorite hero in DC", and she knew next to nothing about Wonder Woman going in. Goes to show how far just a bit of good characterization goes. She was completely absorbed from the point where Trevor and Diana reach London, onward.

My experience was as good as it only got better with more viewings. Still not sick of it lol. I always get emotional when I see Diana confronting the generals and everything leading up to the No Man's Land scene. I honestly can't think of a superhero film with so compassion onscreen. My thoughts on the last action sequence sway back and forth between pretty good and could be better, but only in the superficial aspects of it.

thefro

Finally saw this tonight.

Pretty good, although I echo that the last couple sequences could have used another script pass or two.

Ares fight seemed like a twist just for the sake of it and was a bit much CG for me, but I'm sure they wanted to crank WW's power level up to what was already established in BvS.

Gadot and Pine were both fantastic.

I also want a Platinum Games Wonder Woman game now. The slow-mo fighting scenes reminded me of Bayonetta's Witch Time.

HotHamBoy

Just finished watching this film.

I will sum up my feelings in 3 GIFs.

Act 1
A356jiI.gif

Act 2
giphy.gif

Act 3
ajD9Y.gif

Gadot and Pine were great. Most of the cast was, no issue there. This movie had awful green screen and apalling use of slow-mo, projectile-panning and weightless CGI. Basically, everytime this movie turned to an action sequence it just fell apart. It's visually a hot mess.

Random thoughts:

What a lame "twist", not at all earned

Gadot really is distractingly beautiful

Wonder Woman is a murder machine. For someone who believes otherwise innocent people will stop acting evil if Ares is dead she sure has no issues slaughtering the enemy.

I actually like the main musical theme.

The more down-to-earth moments are where the movie shines

I was expecting the worse from Diana's introduction to modern society but there were fewer Leloo Dallas Multipass moments than I anticipated and it was all executed well.

No, really, fuck Snyder-esque slow-down/speed up bullshit.

The villians were really weak. They never felt threatening. Cartoony. Random power snuff was goofy.

The scene where Diana reaches for her sword when confronting the villian and grasps air because she forgot it was impaled in a carcass, only to have the movie cut away and then cut back to her dropping down to the exact position she was just in (same camera angle), but with sword in hand, was the single worst cut of the film.

Not a terrible movie but it doesn't live up to the hype for me. Very middle of the road. Won't bother comparing to DCU trash so I rate it middle-tier MCU quality.

Oh, No Man's Land? Didn't like it.

I kinda feel like not only saying you disliked No Man's Land, but tacking it onto the end of a post in boldface type is just fishing for reactions.

HotHamBoy

I kinda feel like not only saying you disliked No Man's Land, but tacking it onto the end of a post in boldface type is just fishing for reactions.

It's one if the most universally praised sequences in the film and I was genuinely underwhelmed.

Here's a question that has been bugging me:

How long ago was the Gods' war against Ares? 10, 15 years? Does Diana just grow super slow of thousands of years, barely maturing over the centuries, or was it like 10 years before the movie started?

They could have probably said something like "time passes MUCH slower on the island" but then when Steve returns to the real world it would have been years later. Plus, they didn't say that or offer any other explaination so wtf?

Raptomex

It's one if the most universally praised sequences in the film and I was genuinely underwhelmed.

How long ago was the Gods' war against Ares? 10, 15 years? Does Diana just grow super slow of thousands of years, barely maturing over the centuries, or was it like 10 years before the movie started?

They could have probably said something like "time passes MUCH slower on the island" but then when Steve returns to the real world it would have been years later. Plus, they didn't say that or offer any other explaination so wtf?
I think this. As far as I know, they all just age slower in general. She looks the same in modern times at the beginning and at the end of the film. I'm assuming she didn't return to the island once she left.

IconGrist

I think this. As far as I know, they all just age slower in general. She looks the same in modern times at the beginning and at the end of the film. I'm assuming she didn't return to the island once she left.

The amazons don't age on Themyscira. It's part of the island's magic. I don't remember if it was explicitly stated in the movie though. Diana is unique among them. It's why she was the only actual child on the island.

AndyVirus

The scene where Diana reaches for her sword when confronting the villian and grasps air because she forgot it was impaled in a carcass, only to have the movie cut away and then cut back to her dropping down to the exact position she was just in (same camera angle), but with sword in hand, was the single worst cut of the film.

Not a terrible movie but it doesn't live up to the hype for me. Very middle of the road. Won't bother comparing to DCU trash so I rate it middle-tier MCU quality.

Saw the movie last night and this is my take. I'd put it about on par with Cap 1 (I like Cap 1, I know some don't).

Not sure whether people are so happy with the critical and commercial success more because it destroys the two DC efforts last year or because it's a female directed female action film.

Jobbs

Banned
The movie was gorgeous. The visuals were its strongest point. The action scene midway through (where she gets out of the trench and charges the germans) was masterful and absolutely the highlight of the film -- After that the movie comes down and becomes pretty boring, up until an ending sequence that was tedious and too scripty.

Overall, I loved it despite the third act -- The first two acts were good enough to keep it in the love category.

Raptomex

The amazons don't age on Themyscira. It's part of the island's magic. I don't remember if it was explicitly stated in the movie though. Diana is unique among them. It's why she was the only actual child on the island.
But she got older on the island, no? Child into adult. Even off the island she seemingly remained the same age from the war all the way up until now.

The movie is no BB or IM in terms of origin stories for me, but it is pretty decent. Best DCEU movie by far and Top 10 all time origin super hero movies. I really appreciated the lack of gratuitous butt and crotch shots during some scenes where other movies go out of their way to show it. Thank you Patty Jenkins.

Jyrii

Banned
Saw it last night. Thought it was ok, but nothing special.

Gal Gadot was spot on choice to play Wonder Woman and Chris Pine was ok. Seeing David Thewlis felt odd as I had just finished Fargo season 3. Also him being Ares was meh. I hoped Isabel Maru would have been revealed as Ares after Ludendorff's death, not that it would have been that surprising either

The CGI in this film was pretty horrible. Also the most of the high/long jumping looked horrible as they didn't have any weight in them. Crushing the belltower was pretty good though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Watched this yesterday. Definitely the best DCU movie, but that's not saying much. It was okay, but it didn't impress me either. Best part was Gadot in general and her chemistry with Pine. When they finally kissed, I felt that was earned. Some of the action scenes were good too, especially her coming out of the trenches. Thewlis' Varga must've made a bigger impact on me than I thought, because I don't think I'll ever see him as anything else again.

As a Belgian I couldn't ignore their handling of the language. The woman in the trenches speaking Dutch (or trying to) wasn't a native speaker, it felt like a German trying to speak Dutch/Flemish. There were more instances of that. I don't think they ran this by Flemish people, very sloppy.

Just finished my second viewing. This was my first time watching it in english and that was definitely an improvement even though Gadot's acting was not always quite as convincing as I thought it was in the dub.

Anyway, aside from a few nitpicks, the movie only has two major flaws: the unforgivable 2004-grade special effects and the very last moments of the Diana vs Ares fight. But overall, I had a much better time than at the cinema. They got the character of WW right and that was no easy task in these cynical times. I'm bumping my rating to a solid 7/10. I thought it was not quite up there with the first Superman, Spider-Man and Cap movies a few months ago but now I'd put it above First Avenger even though Chris Evans delivered a better performance. Very pleased with this film.

I do wonder if they'll be able to recapture the magic in the sequel though, it's gonna be tricky. Something about this film and Diana's journey feels very unique and finite. But fingers crossed for a Spider-Man 2 jump in quality.

As a Belgian I couldn't ignore their handling of the language. The woman in the trenches speaking Dutch (or trying to) wasn't a native speaker, it felt like a German trying to speak Dutch/Flemish. There were more instances of that. I don't think they ran this by Flemish people, very sloppy.

Lol, any attempt at french in a Hollywood film always drives me crazy, it's almost always an incomprehensible and poorly acted mess. WW actually did all right in that area but yeah, even as someone who barely understands those languages, the few lines in dutch and german felt super wrong.

Wife and I just watched it. It was... good. Over hyped? Yes. Predictable? Yes. Save the DC Universe? No.

My wife and I have a 2 year old, so we only see a handful of movies in the theater per year. We almost saw this one instead of the Amazing Spider Man. Can you imagine?

Finally got around to seeing it via digital stream.

While I did love and enjoy the film I honestly still prefer Man of Steel over it. And while BVS's pacing was all over the place I prefer it's action scenes over Wonder Woman.

All in all I'm satisfied with what I saw and look forward to what the DCEU has to offer next

(Yes I'm one of those people who thought MOS was great and BVS was decent, not perfect but certainly no where near as bad as people made it seem like it was...just like Wonder Woman, while great was no where near as good as people made it seem....Man of Steel is still above it imo)

Just got done watching it and I liked it a lot. I watched GotG 2 last week and I enjoyed this more. The only thing I didn't like was the guitar riff they kept playing. It just seemed weird given the setting.

Cetra

Just watched it for the first time. Pretty underwhelmed. Gal was great, Pine was great. They had great chemistry. But the movie around them was just "okay" to bad.

reKon

Banned
Just finished this. Decent film. Chris and Gal were great. One of the highlights of the film. The action was good, but they need to not rely on the slow mo action so much. It gets distracting, too tiring, and I feel like there was some potential there. Didn't care much for the supporting case. This still doesn't come close to Marvel's best (I've seen people commenting on this before, so I wanted to throw in my opinion too).

Just got done watching it and I liked it a lot. I watched GotG 2 last week and I enjoyed this more. The only thing I didn't like was the guitar riff they kept playing. It just seemed weird given the setting.

its funny because I watched Wonder Woman first and then GOG2 days later and enjoyed Galaxy more.

Still loved WW tho, but GOG2 felt more like a Star Wars movie than the last 2 Star Wars movies were imo.

I don't know if its a fair comparison though, one is a super hero film and the other is full blown sci fi

its funny because I watched Wonder Woman first and then GOG2 days later and enjoyed Galaxy more.

Still loved WW tho, but GOG2 felt more like a Star Wars movie than the last 2 Star Wars movies were imo.

I don't know if its a fair comparison though, one is a super hero film and the other is full blown sci fi

Certainly a weird comparison. Both movies are doing their own thing. Liked GOTG better, but that's not a knock on WW at all..we got a lot of good comic book movies this year..no doubt.

Kickz

Saw this yesterday and I gotta say it was amazing. Tip of the hat to the director Patty for the amazing job on this movie. She is the one who should be doing Justice League and have control of the entire DCEU.

The twists in this movie were so good, with Aries finally appearing the end, I cheered because I felt bad for Diana. Chris Pine also did a phenomenal job, Gadot herself was just kind of ok, kinda wish they got a top actress but its cool.

tci

Maybe GOG1, but GOG2 was much worse than the first. There are just a few scenes there that makes the movie worth watching. Other than that it is pretty much some regular safe sci-fi/action adventure. And that is a problem with most Marvel movies today. They are safe. Nothing really interesting anymore. I felt the same with Spiderman Homecoming.

As for Wonder Woman. Mostly very good movie. But there are a few scenes that are a bit off. Might be one of the best origin movies of any superhero tho.

Ross61

Saw this yesterday and I gotta say it was amazing. Tip of the hat to the director Patty for the amazing job on this movie. She is the one who should be doing Justice League and have control of the entire DCEU.

The twists in this movie were so good, with Aries finally appearing the end, I cheered because I felt bad for Diana. Chris Pine also did a phenomenal job, Gadot herself was just kind of ok, kinda wish they got a top actress but its cool.
Why?

a916

JL is an ensemble movie... more different than a detached one like WW. Doesn't necessarily mean she can nail it (not saying she can't either).

Also, just because she nailed telling Diana's story, doesn't mean she should control the direction of the DCEU and longer narrative... Johns should still be the idea man behind it all.

Kickz

Because she is the best thing to happen to DC since Nolan???

She actually has skills, and deserves it over current hacks at the helm

JL is an ensemble movie... more different than a detached one like WW. Doesn't necessarily mean she can nail it (not saying she can't either).

Also, just because she nailed telling Diana's story, doesn't mean she should control the direction of the DCEU and longer narrative... Johns should still be the idea man behind it all.

And what have any of the other guys proven to say that they can?

a916

They haven't... which is why I'd be hesistant to hand any of the directors the key's the kingdom. It should go to a "showrunner" like Feige, a producer, or a story group that's weaving the long game, not a single director.

Let Patty do her thing and focus on her movies and not dump the entire thing on her along with her trying to deliver a stellar follow up.

Figgles

I finally saw this yesterday, and I am not quite sure how I feel about it. Not as good as people were saying. The big scene everyone was hyping up starts with a really bad looking green screen shot, so that brought it down. The movie had a lot of bad looking shots.

Gadot did an ok job. She was the embodiment of optimism, and child-like innocence. She's not a very good actress though. She is good for the role, but I doubt she'll be winning any awards in the future. Pine was good, even if he was just playing Kirk. They were excellent together. The villains were cartoony and ridiculous.

It's long and predictable, but it managed to hold my attention. Overall, I'd say it was good, but definitely not great. I'd say it's on par with the Marvel origin stories, but well below something like Batman Begins.

DeathyBoy

Banned

You must've been a barrel of laughs to watch LOTR with.

llien

Watched it with my spouse.
Both meh-ed.

Not "Transformers: Last Knight" levels of meh ("why on earth are we even watching it"), but can't recall aspect of the movie that wasn't mediocre at best.

You must've been a barrel of laughs to watch LOTR with.

You weren't talking to me, but LOTR is brilliant.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Watched it with my spouse.
Both meh-ed.

Not "Transformers: Last Knight" levels of meh ("why on earth are we even watching it"), but can't recall aspect of the movie that wasn't mediocre at best.

You weren't talking to me, but LOTR is brilliant.

You weren't asking for the film to talk down to you with stuff like "time slows down for some not all" bollocks.

The more fantasy explains the worse it is.

Carn82

best DCU film so far (excluding the Nolans), but I would give it 7.5 out of 10. Pine was the glue that kept it going, and Gadot did a good job selling her character.

Liked: Pine, Gadot, Thewlis chewing up the scene, the comedy 'fish out of water' parts.
Disliked: Greenscreen, CGI, most action sequences when slow-mo kicked in. We really need to lay that trick to rest, it just isnt doing it for me anymore.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Got it last night via blu ray and watched it again to see how it holds up compared to it being in theatres. My opinion hasn’t really changed, it’s an awesome movie, definitely one of the better superhero films, but I do have some problems with.

-Making the Germans into Nazi-types
-Wonder Woman being a wrecking ball looks silly
-How fast does Wonder Woman age?
-Maybe a few others I’m forgetting

Ross61

So because she gets one character, she gets them all? Best thing to happen since Nolan?

She deserves nothing except the next WW movie which she's signed on for

Kickz

So because she gets one character, she gets them all? Best thing to happen since Nolan?

She deserves nothing except the next WW movie which she's signed on for

So Snyder couldn't get ONE character right, let alone 2 in BvS and he has or had reign over everything, how does that make sense???

Why is it so hard to grasp, Patty did a miracle job selling a female superhero to the general public, and actually had a good movie as well. That's better than anything hacks like Snyder have done.

And yes she is the best thing since Nolan by far for DC.

Looking forward to rewatching this when I grab the steelbook tonight. I was never super high on the film after my initial viewing, it was a solid 7/10, but it was not a top tier comic book origin film at all, or the best comic book movie of the year. Hoping I enjoy it a bit more in the comfort of my own home.

Exactly.
I took my wife and daughters to see it in the theater and they were all enthralled.

They felt included for the first time... I know it's weird to say. But it's the truth. For once the focus was on the women being powerful and in charge.

I feel people tend to be way too critical of summer blockbusters. We aren't dealing with deep subject matter. It's great entertainment.

Apt101

I preordered the UHD when it became available on Amazon. Release date is today, but I noticed that it's already sold out and my order hasn't shipped. Arg. Fingers crossed it gets fulfilled today; I wanted to watch it in 4K this coming weekend.

Top Bottom