• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman |OT| The World is Ready for You, Gal Gad [SPOILERS]

GhaleonEB

Diana turning around and pulling her hair down in the NML scene gave me chills both times I've seen it. After a pretty long set up, that moment was the pivot point of the film, the deep inhale before she figures out what kind of a hero she really can be. I get all tingly just thinking about it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Wait, what??!!
url

Nothing in the MCU beats this part (Civil war is good tho) followed by the run on the roof top. Heck that whole fight started here:

Wonder-Woman-trench.gif

Say what you will about the slow-mo, they used it well.

DC really is the best at showcasing how powerful these characters are. Batman is peak human ninja, Superman is a fucking tank, WW is actually presented as a demi God.

Glass Rebel

The scene works in-spite of the slo-mo. It's completely overused in the most nonsensical moments in that scene. There's no rhyme nor reason to it, it highlights the wrong action beats and consequently messes with the rhythm of it.

It's just that the entire scene is so damn good that it ultimately doesn't matter.

Nothing in the MCU beats this part (Civil war is good tho) followed by the run on the roof top. Heck that whole fight started here:

Wonder-Woman-trench.gif

So pretty. Good looks and a good movie to back it up. I doubt I'll see this combination again (in a female superhero movie) anytime soon.

The scene works in-spite of the slo-mo. It's completely overused in the most nonsensical moments in that scene. There's no rhyme nor reason to it, it highlights the wrong action beats and consequently messes with the rhythm of it.

It's just that the entire scene is so damn good that it ultimately doesn't matter.
I disagree with your assessment of the slo mo in this particular scene. :p

No Man's Land was my favorite 'superhero moment' in quite a while.

they really nailed the heroics and her uplifting the morale around her in a way that the mcu and dceu's superman came up short in prior to this.

much of the third act (aside from the few more moments we get of steve, the gang and wonder woman) felt pretty by the numbers and generic but that no man's land scene and Diana's characterization made me leave the theater feeling good about the movie overall.

llehuty

The Wonder Woman character makes this movie stand out. What an honorable, cool and not cheesy portrayal of a good hero(ine). Fantastic casting choice for her, she gives a very honest performance. The film is following the blueprint of Captain America, but they could have ruined the character so easily, and they didn't. The couple of questionale fight scenes just end up working because the drive and passion of the character. The side characters being a no event doesn't matter, WW carried all the film by itself. Also not quite sattisfied with the "villain" portrayal, that is a bit too on the nose.

It's a shame the other elements of the movie aren't there to take it to a classic status, but the heart and feeling behind it, puts it as one of my favourite films of the genre and one filmI can easily recommend to almost anyone.

Wait, what??!!
url

Wonder-Woman-trench.gif

That whole scene is great, and the running on the roof too. But when she went inside to fight the soldiers I felt they used too much slow-mo and that's when I noticed the CG face. I think when you use CG and slow mo together it can be quite jarring, for me anyway. I am probably being nitpicky, I did like the action, but thought they could have done better in that regard.

Nerokis

Going to go ahead and mirror thoughts I've seen expressed elsewhere: even as someone who's generally enjoyed superhero movies over recent years, Wonder Woman reminded me what it was like for a superhero to actually inspire you. I loved her so much.

1). She was human. This partly came through Gal Gadot's portrayal, such as during the ridiculously charming boat scene. It also came through, though, during Diana's moments of conflict. When she turned her judgment on Steve, she showed a sort of vulnerability you don't often see in these kind of movies. The kind where a superhero is showed to actually have realistic flaws, which don't necessarily express themselves in a way that make them seem especially strong, cool, or whatever else. Feeling lost and frustrated, she briefly, harshly, unjustifiably turned on one of the movie's most likable characters. That was a brave choice on the part of the filmmakers.

Also, it was nice to watch a superhero fall in love in a way that felt organic. This part worked so well largely thanks to Chris Pine, whose Steve was certainly someone I could imagine Wonder Woman falling for.

2). She was unreservedly idealistic. Wonder Woman actually stood for something meaningful, and because she was allowed to do so with complete, uninterrupted sincerity, she also came to represent something meaningful. Her sense of justice, her unwillingness to let circumstance shrink her, her belief in love. . . This was a superhero movie where the supervillain felt unnecessary, because the mundane world was already a perfect foil for Diana's heroism and virtue. She spoke to something real, beautiful, and all too rare.

3). She was powerful. Partly because the movie nailed the above two things, this part of the superhero fantasy was depicted in a uniquely impactful way. Look at the No Man's Land scene as a reference. She was a very human character, so when she was out there alone, absorbing this barrage of bullets, we sympathized with her; she was heroic, so when she stepped onto the battlefield, she represented a sort of justice that was missing from the world; and finally, because she was powerful, we knew she could make a difference.

And yeah, it was just amazing and so cathartic watching a woman kick so much ass.

I can't say for sure that Wonder Woman is my favorite superhero movie, but she's certainly become my favorite superhero. It's not even a contest right now. Aside from being incredibly likable, badass, etc., she actually embodies something I feel is worth striving for. She's an icon that can be looked to for strength and inspiration, and is the first superhero in awhile that is actually worth holding in reverence. Honestly, Wonder Woman didn't only remind me what it's like for a superhero to inspire you; it also reminded me that superheroes have something to contribute to the world.

Watched it for the first time yesterday.

Best part is no mans land. That is where the movie got its feet under it and paid off everyone. It nailed everything about yet era, the use of the characters, and gave me something to really thrill to.

Besides that I don't think the movie was that well directed and it was certainly poorly edited. The whole sequence with Chris Pine getting on the plane really stood out. The thing is sitting there on the Tarmac in one shot, he says to cover him (which they don't do) next the plane is farther down the runway. I'm reminded about the sequence in Raiders of the Lost Ark with the plane and how much tighter the story telling was there. Also isn't this the same plane ending as Captain America?

The whole, I forgot my sword on the roof so between cuts I'll hop and have it again and return to the exact shot I just left, was either some bad editing or a legitimate fuck up they had to cover for.

Doctor poison or whatever her name is simple dissapears from the movie at the end which is weird, but the performance was terrible so thank god.

The castle party scene served almost no purpose. Indigenous guy gets introduced in the most banal way for a character that supposedly is a demigod, meanwhile the two other supporting characters get much better intros. I don't understand why it was foggy night on the water and sunny on the island then when they leave it is night on the island and night outside. Maybe I missed something but when they show the island getting hidden it is just a simple disappear.

I still enjoyed it but I don't get the extreme praise.

I have watched it today and quite enjoyed it. Only thing I didn't like was
Fargo's V.M. Varga in Ares suit. That mustache sucked

GhaleonEB

The whole, I forgot my sword on the roof so between cuts I'll hop and have it again and return to the exact shot I just left, was either some bad editing or a legitimate fuck up they had to cover for.
It was an intentional subversion of expectations and first hint that Ares is not worried about the sword. From the shot where Diana reaches for the sword and doesn't have it, we think she's in trouble. Then Ares just lets her get it and we (and she) are confused as to why. It's revealed moments later that he lets her go get it because he knows it's not something that will hurt him; he was having fun watching Diana delude herself.

jiiikoo

Banned
This movie was fucking amazing. Just came home from seeing it with my girlfriend (took a bit of convincing to get her to tag along since she isnt into marvel/dc movies) but we both loved it. Enjoyed it immensly!

Froli

Movie was quite good, the only thing I didn't like is Ares/His cgi/how his character played out on the last act of the movie.

It was an intentional subversion of expectations and first hint that Ares is not worried about the sword. From the shot where Diana reaches for the sword and doesn't have it, we think she's in trouble. Then Ares just lets her get it and we (and she) are confused as to why. It's revealed moments later that he lets her go get it because he knows it's not something that will hurt him; he was having fun watching Diana delude herself.

I got that completely. The movie makes it patently clear the sword is ineffectual. It still reads like awful editing or planning because she literally drops back into the previous shot inbetween the break. She doesn't even drop, you can tell it was from a standing jump.

Now onto the villains... They were fine for the most part. That scene of them gassing the German high command was too much though. They could have cut that scene out.

This scene is amazing though. I don't get why everybody hates Dr. Poison. We need more cackling black-comedy machines in movies. Though my weird fetishes might be influencing my opinion on this.

The only disappointing scene for me was when they gas the village. I know that they wanted to keep it PG-13, but it was really, really underwhelming after how much they built up the gas.

Khansolo1

I just watched the movie, and thought it was okay. The action scenes in NML were pretty awesome and so were the scenes where she was taking down the soldiers. But everything after was a bore, and so were the scenes where she was fighting Ares. I'd give it 6/10.

The love thing was cheesy as fuck but this movies come from comics so what are you going to do.

the movie starts really bad but after they get to london it only gets better,the plot moves fast, the action scenes are great it only goes down in quality in the final fight but I still enjoyed it , glad this movie turned out to be good.

Ravelle

Enjoyed it quite a bit, the unusual pacing was something I needed to adjust to. Gal Dadot was super charming.

There were a couple of things that I noticed that took my out of it.

There was something weird going on with the languages, they went out of their way to let everyone know WW could speak a lot of languages and that a bunch of different nationalities were part of it which was neat.

But then the Germans spoke in English with a German accent, comically so. Then later in the movie a mother with her baby spoke in actual German and some people spoke Belgium as well.

That and Ares's casting was something of a weird choice.

Also a bummer DC spoiled most of their jokes and some action scenes in their trailers. :(

And can Wonder Woman fly or not? I can never tell, she can jump very far but how does she hover for so long?

watched this with my partner last night and we both loved it, with the two of us mentioning how teary it made us, mainly from joy of what we were seeing. i asked her how it felt having a female superhero on screen and she remarked how powerful it was to see.
gal gadot though, man. diana was a nothing character in b vs s, here she became my absolute favourite, all due to the writing, direction and wonderful acting. it seemed like gal was really having fun with the character and i felt it the whole film.

shingi70

Banned
Doctor Posion and the generally guy were great. I could forgive how cartoon they were in a rather serious movie, for how entertaining they were. Very golden age evil enjoying being evil vibes.

I do wish Dr. Posion got more resolution or hot set up to appear in a future ,movie. She just sorta exits stage left after the fight with Ares.

firelogic

Doctor Posion and the generally guy were great. I could forgive how cartoon they were in a rather serious movie, for how entertaining they were. Very golden age evil enjoying being evil vibes.

I do wish Dr. Posion got more resolution or hot set up to appear in a future ,movie. She just sorta exits stage left after the fight with Ares.

I really liked their super over the top evil laugh. I've heard a lot of people say that was stupid but I loved it and felt it wasn't jarring for some reason.

suaveric

Enjoyed it quite a bit, the unusual pacing was something I needed to adjust to. Gal Dadot was super charming.

There were a couple of things that I noticed that took my out of it.

There was something weird going on with the languages, they went out of their way to let everyone know WW could speak a lot of languages and that a bunch of different nationalities were part of it which was neat.

But then the Germans spoke in English with a German accent, comically so. Then later in the movie a mother with her baby spoke in actual German and some people spoke Belgium as well.

That and Ares's casting was something of a weird choice.

Also a bummer DC spoiled most of their jokes and some action scenes in their trailers. :(

And can Wonder Woman fly or not? I can never tell, she can jump very far but how does she hover for so long?

I believe at the end of the fight when she realizes her full potential she is able to fly. It's only shown very briefly so it is a bit hard to tell.

Saw it this weekend with my wife, was surprised she loved it as she's really not into superhero movies.

I thought it was very fun, not much more. Gadot and Pine has great chemistry together but the there were parts (esp. in the little Diana phase and last 10 minutes) that felt cringy.

But again, overall was very enjoyable.

ReiGun

Just went and saw Wonder Woman again. Damn fine movie.

Upon watching it again, things that seemed like huge issues the first time around actually lessened as I noticed their purpose within the narrative. Particularly the first and final act.

First, Themiscyra. When the movie first came out, I noted that Paradise Island is used much the same way Donner used Smallville in "Superman:" a clever way to ground our main character and their moral compass by showing the idyllic nature of their upbringing (of course someone like this comes from a place like this) while also setting up the culture shock they'll experience once they leave the nest and join the outside world. It's obviously felt more strongly in Wonder Woman, but it's present in both. What I missed the first time around is that the theme of love that appears to come out of no where in the climax actually starts right on the island.

This movie has quite a few people who make decisions based on love. Hippolyta doesn't want Diana to train because she knows it puts her at risk and that her daughter's destiny will take her "greatest love" away. Antiope trains Diana out of a love that acknowledges her destiny and desire to her properly prepared. Also, she dies saving her, which in movies is a go to love move. Steve in the cave talks about how people he loved (his father and grandfather) inspired him to join the military and try to do the right thing in spite of how flawed he himself is.

You also have those who act when they've been denied love in one form or another. Sameer is a soldier because his race prevents from pursuing his one true love: acting. The Chief's people were wiped out, so he's trying to survive in a world where he doesn't truly have a home and has left him to work with the people who did it. Charlie is so scarred from his experiences in war that he's become a drunkard who gets into fights, shuns genuine affection and concern when offered to him, and can't even bring himself to sing like he likes. Finally, while we don't get much of her backstory, we learn enough about Doctor Poison that we can infer she's been denied genuine love and compassion from people for a long time and is likely incapable of giving it herself.

Then there's Diana, who is basically the avatar of selfless love. Diana loves everybody, and she believes wholeheartedly in the inherent goodness of others. We see it on the island when she stands against her mother and the senators before ultimately leaving. We see it when she chides the generals. We see it when she is mortified and heartbroken at the injured returning from war. We see it when she thanks the man for his ice cream or turns into a ball of pure joy at the sight of a baby.

The movie is all about testing that ideal against the harsh nature of the world. Can your love endure when faced with impossible odds or when you find out people actually kind of suck? The No Man's Land scene is inspiring because it is the first time Diana answers that question with a resounding "Yes." After almost an hour of everyone telling her "No, Diana. You're too naive. You don't understand. This is hopeless," our girl finally says "Fuck you. People are in danger and I'm helping them. You can either get with it or get out of my way." It's awesome, and it inspires her team by giving them just a little bit of hope in a world that seems to have denied them that. It is an act of selflessness and love that sparks a change in people.

Of course, it wasn't the last time Diana's ideals were tested. Which brings us to the final act and Ares. Now, I get why people have a problem with Ares. Honestly, it's not a great portrayal of the character and I think that's the biggest issue with the last act. Ares is a cornball and his powers are lame. But then, I really do think you need him to bring it all home.

Ares's function is to break the last bit of Diana's naivety. He destroys the Godkiller and tells Diana that she herself is the weapon and what she knew of her origin and mission was a lie. He makes plain the nature of man by revealing that all he does is give people ideas and they do what they do with them, no mind control needed. He justifies the anger and fear she's feeling by telling her that yeah, these people don't deserve your help because they're shit and won't even keep my stupid armistice. He makes it so that Diana can't blame any outside forces and leaves her with a question: now that you know what people are, will you still defend them?

We know the answer is yes, but it takes Steve's sacrifice to get her there. Which you also need Ares for because without him around, Diana just chucks the plane away from causing any harm and then leaves man's world because fuck these people. Steve's sacrifice, like Antiope's from earlier, is the ultimate act of love. Steve loves Diana, and knows she can save the world. So it has to be him who dies. Diana inspires a man who by his own admission is imperfect and has done awful things to make a purely noble move and save millions.

That's what she means when she says she believes in love. Not "I love this guy and now I'm a Super Saiyan," but "I've seen that love can change us and make us better and now I'm Super Sayian." Her sparing Poison is her fully rejecting Ares' view that humanity is beyond redemption. Her destroying Ares is literally the avatar of love destroying the avatar of not just war, but hatred and cynicism. Love conquers hate.

Now this all isn't to say I think criticism of these acts in the movie are misguided. I also wish we could have gotten more from the Amazons, and I totally agree that Ares sucks. But I think it all fits together better thematically and plot-wise better than it gets credit for.

Superflat

Yep. All this!

My thoughts after seeing it the first time was generally positive, but I had a huge itch to see it again and I came out the second time loving the hell out of it.

Watched it 4 times now and I still have it in me to see it again if it opens in the budget theater in my area (in a month or so).

Had no idea who Wonder Woman was aside from "that lady who is kinda like female superman in the Justice League cartoons" until I watched the movie, and this ended up being one of my all time favorites of the genre. It's the first time in a while that a superhero film felt like a huge cinematic experience worth seeing in the silver screen as many times as I could (TDK was the last one that did that for me).

A plane already taking off, fully loaded with a massive payload of poison gas set to go off on a timer. It's fucking Hamlet compared to the tornado scene.

I suppose the 'something I'm missing' was the timer then. I was thinking he could have landed it somewhere away from people.

Parch

Saw it yesterday. It's good. Nice redemption for DC movies.

That's how you make a superhero movie. You create a hero.
You don't ruin a great character by using a crap actor like Affleck and turn him into an edgelord asshole.

Superflat

Saw it yesterday. It's good. Nice redemption for DC movies.

That's how you make a superhero movie. You create a hero.
You don't ruin a great character by using a crap actor like Affleck and turn him into an edgelord asshole.

Tbf, edgelord asshole kinda describes batman lol. I know what you mean though. The writing for batfleck was bad, but I thought he portrayed the character quite well, honestly. All he needs is a good script (hard to come by these days tho).

WW comes from a non-cynical background I'm really glad it didn't turn her into the same kind of self-loathing hero as the rest of DCEU heroes so far. Tormented doesn't always mean relatable, and WW proves that as a character who pretty actually is better than everyone lol

Top Bottom