• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 6/28: Netherlands Vs. Slovakia, Brazil vs. Chile |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Allan Holdsworth said:
Netherlands 2 vs Slovakia 0

Slovakia is a pretty mediocre team from what I've seen, so NL should have no problems.

Brazil 3 vs Chile 1

Chile is a good team, but they make stupid mistakes as seen against Spain. First 20 minutes we'll see Chile attacking while Brazil stands back, then bad defending by Chile leads to Brazil's first goal. Medel will headbutt Kaka and get sent off. After that, all will go downhill. Chile will get a random goal, and be 2-1, but Brazil will seal the deal minutes later. Bielsa will have a heart attack and the match will be suspended, giving the victory to Brazil.
Medel will not play (he is suspended, and he is by far Chilean's best player this WC, probably the best defender of any team)

Hootie

Netherlands has been my number 2 team behind the USA this World Cup so I'll be rooting for them for the rest of the way.

Colocho

Banned
Good lord I'm hoping for some sort of miracle so we can beat Brazil and make it the biggest upset of the WC.

My prediction 1-1 and Chile winning on penalties,

VAMOS CHILE MIERDA!!!!

Blablurn

fs_2010-04-21T202250Z_01_MUN22_RTRIDSP_2_SOCCER-CHAMPIONS.jpg

He's better than Messi.

guidop

catfish said:
Is anyone here placing bets on the cup?

I usually make a few bets each game generally multi's over the 2 games of the day. Yesterday i made 3 bets both teams to score in both games put down 1, was paying around $5. Also had Germany first goal and Argentina first goal at $3 put 2 on that and Germany first goal and Mexico first goal paying $8 had 2 on that

I honestly think Chile can cause an upset tonight Brazil hasn't been playing that well think i will put a little something on that

Socreges

Banned
Netherlands 2 - 0 Slovakia
Brazil 3 - 1 Chile

I'd really like Chile to win, but they'll be missing a couple starters and just didn't look all that impressive defensively against Spain.

Chuckie

This will be a tough match for Holland. They'll have to be very careful not to be over-confident (arrogant) I predict a 2-1 win.

I think Brasil will have an easier time with Chile, I think 3-1

hiro4

I'm REALLY hoping we (the Netherlands) will win against Slovakia.

But somewhere deep down inside, there is a feeling that this will be just like during the EuroCup 2008, where they lost in the first match after the group round.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I've got 20 riding on holland to win in normal time. It's only paying about 1.40 though.

I'm letting all my winnings so far ride on the favourites, if the dutch game comes off I'll put those winnings on brazil to win in normal time as well. They don't pay loads, but I don't think in the matches tonight that an upset will happen in either case.

Can't even begin to guess for the next rounds though.

Germany/Argentina and Netherlands/Brazil is going to be like the same game, played twice.

Danielsan

catfish said:
I've got 20 riding on holland to win in normal time. It's only paying about 1.40 though.

I'm letting all my winnings so far ride on the favourites, if the dutch game comes off I'll put those winnings on brazil to win in normal time as well. They don't pay loads, but I don't think in the matches tonight that an upset will happen in either case.

Can't even begin to guess for the next rounds though.

Germany/Argentina and Netherlands/Brazil is going to be like the same game, played twice.
Haha yes! Man those two games will be magnificent. :D

Really hope we don't choke today so that those matches are a lock.

Caturro

There's no way we're beating Brazil. Statistics against them are extremely one sided in their favor, even moreso in the past few years.

Dunga's conservative scheme & counter > Bielsa's offensive onslaught. We just don't have the defensive solidity to survive this game.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Netherlands will pull through against Slovakia, their backs are shite and no good against wingers. But vMarwijk will probably go with the regular suspects so no wingers, just two semi-wingers that pull to the inside. By halftime he'll see the error in his way and Robben and Elia will enter the pitch and destroy Slovakia together.

duckroll

I didn't expect any upsets yesterday, and I don't expect any today. Netherlands and Brazil are just on a different level from the competition. Tomorrow's games should be interesting though. There's a tiny outside chance that Japan might be able to hold their own against Paraguay (probably not), but Spain vs Portugal will be a fight to the DEATH. :lol

Can't wait. :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Danielsan said:
Haha yes! Man those two games will be magnificent. :D

Really hope we don't choke today so that those matches are a lock.

I hope to GOD that both the euro teams can beat the Latin americans so my dream of a holland german final can be realised.

If NL can somehow pull a victory over Brazil, they will get an easier route to the final. The winner of Ger/Arg has to take on the winner of esp/por (most likely)

also, it's time for the results predicting octopus!

Resultopus

neorej

ERMYGERD!
catfish said:
I hope to GOD that both the euro teams can beat the Latin americans so my dream of a holland german final can be realised.

If NL can somehow pull a victory over Brazil, they will get an easier route to the final. The winner of Ger/Arg has to take on the winner of esp/por (most likely)

also, it's time for the results predicting octopus!

Resultopus

nvm

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Haunted said:
Upsets aren't that likely, Chile stood little chance against a top-class team in their third group game. Slovakia are the complete underdog.

they wouldn't be upsets if they were. :p

tirant

manueldelalas said:
Medel will not play (he is suspended, and he is by far Chilean's best player this WC, probably the best defender of any team)

He cannot be the best defender if he gets suspended often for playing dirty.

Anyway, I will be rooting for Chile today :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Blablurn said:
fs_2010-04-21T202250Z_01_MUN22_RTRIDSP_2_SOCCER-CHAMPIONS.jpg

He's better than Messi.

that's quite a thing to say.... I haven't seen him play enough to argue, but I'd like you to be right for this tournament at least!

Sblargh

Banned
I wish I could trust Brazil like our opponents do.
This is going to be North Korea all over.
-
BTW, I did cried a bit on a news segment that told that the flag the chilean team uses is one found (in bad shape, but whole) in the aftermath of the earthquake.

I hope it is a friendly game, I really like your country, hope I can visit it soon.

E copa que vem quero ver vocês jogando aqui!
-
EDIT: About a possible Brazil vs Holland, as someone was saying, I remember it from 94. That was hard.
This was beautiful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4QkyWrNjJQ

Xater

duckroll said:
I didn't expect any upsets yesterday, and I don't expect any today. Netherlands and Brazil are just on a different level from the competition. Tomorrow's games should be interesting though. There's a tiny outside chance that Japan might be able to hold their own against Paraguay (probably not), but Spain vs Portugal will be a fight to the DEATH. :lol

Can't wait. :)

Completely agree, but the matches today will probably still be really entertaining. For Portugal vs. Spain I expect a diving competition not a football match. ;)

Wessiej

Suitcase Test said:
Jokes asides though, I really hope we (Holland) are gonna win... We're being way too cocky about it, everyone's jinxing it!:lol
Yeah but that is because Slovakia isnt good! If we played this game a year ago and we called it a friendly, they did it do boost their spirits with a 6-0 win or something. I don't see any any any chance that we are losing today. If so, delete my account plz.

Danielsan

Suitcase Test said:
Jokes asides though, I really hope we (Holland) are gonna win... We're being way too cocky about it, everyone's jinxing it!:lol
We're always cocky about it but deep inside everyone fears for the worst. :lol

n0n44m

faberpach said:
MARCA tried that bullshit 2 years ago don't start it again. Messi will always be better than any average holland player that keeps breaking.

well he didn't break this year for like 8 months and I'd reckon he was the best player in Europe after Messi this season

Rooney could have been more important but he did break and they lost to Bayern (and Chelsea) ((and he was non-existant this World Cup))

Robben scored important winners and assists in their competition matches, scored goals against Fiorentina and Man Utd that helped them through the Champions League, singlehandedly scored a winner in the German Cup semi-final against Schalke starting from his own penalty area ... for €25 million he delivered them a multitude of that in prize money

Arjen

Danielsan said:

I think this pretty much sums it up :lol
I'm seriously nervous right now, and although i quit i'm gonna buy me some cigs to help me get over it :lol

Vox-Pop said:
LTTP:
9f4nW.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I can't laugh when reading the headline below. What a cute child and such a terrible incident :(

I don't expect any surprises for todays matches - NL vs SLK 2-0; BRZ vs CHI 3-1.

CAVE343

Wessiej said:
Yeah but that is because Slovakia isnt good! If we played this game a year ago and we called it a friendly, they did it do boost their spirits with a 6-0 win or something. I don't see any any any chance that we are losing today. If so, delete my account plz.

Second that. If we (Holland) lose today mods can permaban me; I'm confident that we will win.
There is absolutely no chance that we are losing to Slovakia. Mark my words!

I'm so excited right now, just a few hours left :)

hiro4

Danielsan said:

Yups, this is how I feel.
Not even sure if I can watch the game until we at least have a lead :lol

Danielsan

bad-joey said:
Second that. If we (Holland) lose today mods can permaban me; I'm confident that we will win.
There is absolutely no chance that we are losing to Slovakia. Mark my words!

I'm so excited right now, just a few hours left :)
People said the same thing when we faced Russia two years ago.
And we were killing it in the prior matches that championship.

This year we're playing like shit. So you might want to tone down your excitement a little bit.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Kabouter said:
So much arrogance here, hopefully not something shared by the players, or it's NL - Russia all over again.

I feel the same. Somehow, I was hoping for Italy to pull through, so we'd encounter an opponent we KNOW to fear and respect.

n0n44m

we should win it as long as we don't play like Italy

Italy would have conceded against Denmark and Japan as well with that kind of defending, so I'm somewhat confident

when Italy really started to push in the last 20 mins Slovakia looked somewhat tired as well, so we should be able to beat them on fitness

only thing I'm really worried about is the referee .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom