• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 7/02: Netherlands Vs. Brazil, Ghana vs Uruguay |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arjen said:
canary_dead_gold.jpg

Let's do this!
:lol :lol

Travado

WorstOrange vs Brazil, a beautiful game that should last 3 hours, 1 hour and a half devoted to show the women in the crowd. :D

Brazil will win however, WorstOrange is playing a boring football nowadays, looks like they want to be the Germany of the past. :lol

verbum

3 Reasons The Dutch Will Win:

Brazil's formidable defense contains one major weakness: left-back Michel Bastos. He has not impressed so far this tournament and has only kept his place because his cover is aging journeyman Gilberto, whose inclusion in the squad highlighted the paucity of options in a position long-owned by the imperious Roberto Carlos. This flaw in the Seleção’s rearguard is exacerbated by the tactical freedom granted to Robinho further forward on the left. He loves to roam in-field, often to devastating effect. But when Brazil loses the ball with him out of position, the already limited Bastos is left isolated.

2) In Arjen Robben the Dutch have the ideal player to expose this Brazilian weakness on the left. The Dutch were rather flat in their first two games in which Robben was rested in order to give him time to recover from injury. But he came on in the final group game and quickly livened things up, smacking a post with Klaas-Jan Huntelaar scoring from the rebound. Against Slovakia he scored the opener with a goal that must be giving nightmares to Brazil. Robben collected a long ball out on his right and then ripped his way through the left side of the Slovakian defense before slotting it home. He will relish running at Bastos. Never short of confidence, in his minutes on the pitch so far Robben has looked like one of the few stars ready to live up to the pre-tournament hype.

3) The Netherlands got a huge boost on Wednesday when Elano was ruled out for Brazil after failing to recover in time from the injury he received June 20 against the Ivory Coast. The midfielder is fundamental to Coach Dunga’s tactical scheme and has been a constant presence during his tenure. His discipline and work ethic – attributes that quicken Dunga’s pulse – are what allow players like Kaká and Robinho the freedom to push forward. But he is no mere water carrier. Elano also chips in his own fair share of goals – nine in 46 games for his country, including one each in his two appearances so far this World Cup. Dani Alves will take his slot – for any other team a world-class replacement – but without Elano, Brazil loses its fluidity.

Amen!

Argentina vs Brazil FINAL would be great because of the Pele/Maradona feud.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/804633/ce/uk/

Brazil's all-time record scorer was quoted last month as saying that Maradona had only taken the Argentina manager's job because he needed the money.

Maradona hit back by telling Pele that he belongs in a 'museum', but the Brazilian has now expressed his doubts about the Argentina coach's credentials, specifically because of his colourful private life

jett

D-Member
Best America gonna pwn.

Fersis said:
Rooting for Netherlands and Uruguay!

WTF are you rooting for Netherlands? "bububu root for a south american country" Fersis que hipócrita eres. :p

MMaRsu

Banned
jett said:
Best America gonna pwn.

WTF are you rooting for Netherlands? "bububu root for a south american country" Fersis que hipócrita eres. :p

Fuck that, Fersis rooting for the Netherlands is great :D

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Rooting for Bestguay and Oranje.

Brazil is guaranteed to win the next World Cup anyway unless Maracanazo II improbably happens.

thy_

Meus Renaissance said:
Rumour about an injury to one of the big players in Argentina/Germany

What kind of rumor is that?

Rumor about one of the players getting a red card for kicking his own team mate
where it hurts.

Wouldn't who ever started rumoring at least know for which team the injured guy plays?

jamesinclair said:
Ghana and Hollan will be destroyed like the bitches they are
:lol , i thought the hate would stop but man, US supporters are real salty.

Ghana winning the game tomorrow with Adiyiah being the impact sub.

Free Adiyiah

Haunted

The good thing about many of the matchups from now on is that there's some kind of history behind them.

quarters:
GRUDGE MATCH: Argentina Germany
- WC final (!) 1986
- WC final (!) 1990
- quarters 2006

GRUDGE MATCH: Netherlands Brazil
- semis 1975 (thanks markao)
- quarters 1994
- semis 1998

possible semis:
GRUDGE MATCH Germany Spain
- Euro final (!) 2008

GRUDGE MATCH Uruguay Brazil
- semis 1970 (thanks X05)

possible final:
GRUDGE MATCH Germany Brazil
- WC final (!) 2002

GRUDGE MATCH Argentina Brazil
- round of sixteen 1990
- longstanding rivalry

GRUDGE MATCH Germany Netherlands
- WC final (!) 1974
- semis 1988
- every game ever played

Now that's what I call juicy matchups.
Off the top of my head, tell me if there's important ones I've forgotten.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
MMaRsu said:
SUPER AMPED for the Dutch match.. man I really hope we win, we have a big chance as they are underestimating us!!!
How could you possibly know that? :lol

I'd say we're overestimating you guys.

Cosmozone

Tomorrow is the day for rooting for the underdogs. I really hope Netherlands and Ghana will win. Although I think Ghana could pull it off, I fear for Holland. Brazil is my top favorite for the title. The only offensively dangerous team with also a great defense.

Haunted said:
The good thing about many of the matchups from now on is that there's some kind of history behind them.

quarters:
GRUDGE MATCH: Argentina Germany
- WC final (!) 1986
- WC final (!) 1990
- quarters 2006

GRUDGE MATCH: Netherlands Brazil
- quarters 1994
- semis 1998

possible semis:
GRUDGE MATCH Germany Spain
- Euro final (!) 2008

possible final:
GRUDGE MATCH Germany Brazil
- WC final (!) 2002

GRUDGE MATCH Argentina Brazil
- round of sixteen 1990
- longstanding rivalry

GRUDGE MATCH Germany Netherlands
- WC final (!) 1974
- semis 1988
- every game ever played

there is no doubt there will be some great quarter and semi finals. The final will be epic no matter what.

just hope Holland is in that final.

would be great to finally beat brazil..... has been a long time.

Whats interesting about the world cup is that the group of death ended up being Group D. Both teams are in the quarter finals, and Australia just missed out and Serbia also could have gone through.

Group C = group of pussies (no one made it to quarter finals)

Also.... Uruguay vs Paraguay would be an epic final, for the lols.

I find myself rooting for the Netherlands and Ghana here, so I'm probably going to be in a pretty bad mood tomorrow.

I just realized that the Netherlands-Brazil game I vividly remember from 1998 was twelve years ago. Fuck you, time.

Funky Papa said:
Netherlands vs Spain final followed after the failed revenge of Germany.

I CAN SEE IT.
I hope so: it would be refreshing to have a new winner in the palmares of the world cup. All the more since both teams are good et interesting to watch.

markao

Haunted said:

You forgot semi 74 ;) Holland vs Brazil World Cup 1974 , the day we showed the world champions what proper football (and some more :p ) was all about.

First time little nervous this tournament so we can use all the support we can get, so misses Sneijder do your magic :D

jolanthekkvk.jpg

woodchuck

Rooting for the Dutch now to win it all.

I was at the 1994 WC match between the two teams. Let's hope we get another exciting match.

I got $20 multibet on Spain, Brazil and Uruguay all to win in regulation time at 6.06:1
so it makes it easy for me to decide to go for.

thy_

I could accept the kitty-cats winning tomorrow.

oranjeleeuw.jpg
canary_dead_gold.jpg

But I'll be damned if on Saturday it isn't ************* bird time.

2ljnuo2.jpg

Wikipedia says both Uruguay and Ghana don't have a national animal and neither does Paraguay. : /

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom